Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Access Games - Glad To See Someone Calling It Like It Is

2»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    This just means that there is a lot of suckers out there.

Devs are not really lying about EA right? They basically said "pay us and we will let you alpha/beta-test".

There is certainly no laws against that. It is a free world. If someone wants to be a sucker and risk their money for some unfinished game, who am i to argue? I say let them as long as there is no lying involved. 

In fact, right now I am offering anyone who is willing to pay me $100 to see a 20-sentence description of my secret new game in development. I will call it "pre-early-access". 

No... you are going about it all wrong.   You have to make the people feel "special". Explain how this IS the game they have wanted to play!.  Explain all the incredible ground breaking features that you and your small band will magically create for them! Not only that, but you will be able to do everything in just a year or 18 months!  Explain how THIS is the only way their dreams will ever be realized.  How YOU are their only hope!

THEN you pass around the tin cup... for a "limited time" that of course will be extended ad naueum.
    postlarvalIselinYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• samzusamzu Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I dont get this whole "donate to gain access for pre-alpha". On my opinion, pre-alpha is the state where the developer opens the notebook with some ideas on it. Maybe you get to go for a cup of coffee into the dev's house.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    samzu said:
    I dont get this whole "donate to gain access for pre-alpha". On my opinion, pre-alpha is the state where the developer opens the notebook with some ideas on it. Maybe you get to go for a cup of coffee into the dev's house.

Why not? Like i said, there are always suckers out there.

I am not a whale, but i understand why whales exists. This is no different. 
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    I don't mind early access just do some research and read some comments on the game before buying it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Did you just post a link to what is basically a forum post? We get it just fine over here, no great wisdom was imparted by anyone on Massively.

Never ending early access is an abuse of the consumer,  that some of them enjoy it doesn't change anything. 

Thank you sir,  may I please have another. 
    Are you confused by the Massively format? That's the staff weighing in not a bunch of random no-names.
    What does being a random no-name matter? Being a random "no-name" doesn't discredit an opinion or point. It doesn't make an authority correct. We're all random people on the internet. Claims should stand on facts and opinions are all our own. That thumbrule should apply to everyone. Their format only helps to illustrate that.
    Of course arguments have to stand on their own merit lol.

It was an honest question to @Kyleran since he seemed to be saying it was basically a forum post. Massively does "round table" like articles quite often where several staff writers weigh in on something. It's just an article format they use that MAY look like forum posts if you don't know the names.

As to no-names... using your real one online does make a difference especially when you make a living writing, don't you think?

But then again maybe he was just saying that the staff here is better than theirs :)
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Did you just post a link to what is basically a forum post? We get it just fine over here, no great wisdom was imparted by anyone on Massively.

Never ending early access is an abuse of the consumer,  that some of them enjoy it doesn't change anything. 

Are you confused by the Massively format? That's the staff weighing in not a bunch of random no-names.
    What does being a random no-name matter? Being a random "no-name" doesn't discredit an opinion or point. It doesn't make an authority correct. We're all random people on the internet. Claims should stand on facts and opinions are all our own. That thumbrule should apply to everyone. Their format only helps to illustrate that.

It was an honest question to @Kyleran since he seemed to be saying it was basically a forum post. Massively does "round table" like articles quite often where several staff writers weigh in on something. It's just an article format they use that MAY look like forum posts if you don't know the names.

As to no-names... using your real one online does make a difference especially when you make a living writing, don't you think?

But then again maybe he was just saying that the staff here is better than theirs :)
    No, my point was nothing was shared in the Massively discussion that I haven't seen here in similar discussions in the general forum, so making a declaration as the OP did that "someone" was calling it like it is like it was some sort of remarkable revelation makes no sense.

You raise a good point, they are just random someones on the internet, of no particular import, and again, nothing they said hasn't been discussed here a dozen times before.

No need to post it over here is my thoughts, but hey, if people think they've learned something new from reading it then great, still making progress I suppose.

[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

No, my point was nothing was shared in the Massively discussion that I haven't seen here in similar discussions in the general forum, so making a declaration as the OP did that "someone" was calling it like it is like it was some sort of remarkable revelation makes no sense.

You raise a good point, they are just random someones on the internet, of no particular import, and again, nothing they said hasn't been discussed here a dozen times before.

No need to post it over here is my thoughts, but hey, if people think they've learned something new from reading it then great, still making progress I suppose.

So you're saying that if Bill, Suzie, Mike, et al do a joint article here expressing their opinions on the whole early access thing, quoting that article somewhere would be the same as quoting something Seancad said and Gdmammi LOLed? Good to know :)
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:

Have to agree with this statement- they aren't using forum usernames that can be swapped out by logging into another account or something; they're using their real names knowing full well it will be attached to any other work they do in the industry through said real name.
    IselinYashaX

Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

So you're saying that if Bill, Suzie, Mike, et al do a joint article here expressing their opinions on the whole early access thing, quoting that article somewhere would be the same as quoting something Seancad said and Gdmammi LOLed? Good to know :)
    Not necessarily but I have seen some pretty great OPs over time. You've written a few yourself as character guides. I have linked those to people asking for ESO help. I don't care if your real name is in the thread, your content stands on its own. You made distinctions between facts and opinion, supported your build ideas with the best facts you could muster, and your post had a point for the reader.

Real names do matter more to me so I think there is validity in that point, although I don't think it lends them greater authority. That comes from the way they present their articles. More I think it's because I can humanize a real name more. Someone is extending themselves that way, there is a measure of vulnerability, and it humanizes the connection for me.

The most important thing for that author though, in my opinion, was having that poster link it here and that even more people outside of massively went and read it. At least she got her stuff read and discussed both on their site and linked, which is a respectable achievement in its own right and something I think most content authors want.
    Well thank you. I do try when the mood strikes me. :)

But I'm just an anonymous poster, one that like you and others does spend a lot of time thinking about and discussing MMO and RPG gaming things.

I don't think it's the real name per se that adds extra weight to their opinions. It's the fact that they write about this stuff for a living day in and day out that I have respect for. Same as I do for the staff that writes here.

And @MadFrenchie also made a good point above: when you use your real name online writing about something that you may want to make a career writing about, it does tend to temper what you write and how you write it because it's online forever.

Me? I'm just Iselin here and a few gaming sites. I have a totally different name on Reddit, another one on photo discussion sites, a different one on Twitter... my name is disposable :)
    YashaXMadFrenchieMrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Maurgrim said:
    I don't mind early access just do some research and read some comments on the game before buying it.

In fact, they got rated too on steam. There are plenty of convenient information if one is open to pay for a alpha/beta test. (I am not).