Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gotta say that I really enjoy this game.

yumpinyiminiyumpinyimini Member UncommonPosts: 81
Whether it's roaming the Trollshaws by myself or running instances with a friend.. this game is pretty damned good.
GameolioDan

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Funny thing, just a few days ago there was a thread by someone saying how "bad" this game is.

Weird. 

(A little elaboration on what makes it "good" is usually helpful)  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    Funny thing, just a few days ago there was a thread by someone saying how "bad" this game is.

Weird. 

(A little elaboration on what makes it "good" is usually helpful)  ;)
    Good game, bad tech.

Unfortunately I'm one of the people who has the "crashing every 5 minutes" issue and it's been a year since they acknowledged it, but still no fix.

Oh, I'm sorry. The "solution" is to turn your graphics all the way down. Yeah, that's why people buy top-of-the-line PCs...to turn the graphics all the way down.

Also, still no 64-bit client (the root of the crashing issues).

But hey, there's a new expansion that's unplayable for me (and others).
    Po_gg

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Yeah it has a good oldschool feel to it something that games these days lack. Usually somebodys bad reason is another persons good reason. Which usually means the games doing what it's intended to do. Does have annoying f2p options but if you're playing for free then you're still getting a fairly decent experience anyways. Try setting the res to 1920 X 1080 and running in 32 bit mode and see if that helps but yep good luck if you're a Win 10 user trying to play this. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I tried it. I jsut cant gt into it. The graphics are far to outdated and the combat sucks
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Wedlen said:
    The graphics are far to outdated and the combat sucks
    For a game that started development in the early 2000's, I think the graphics still hold up pretty well. Sure, it doesn't hold a candle to something like ESO but it looks much better than other MMO's released around that same time period.

As far as the combat, it's tab-target based and you either love it or you hate it. It's still pretty good if you compare it to other tab-target MMO's.
    Po_gg
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2017
    Yep, at least now it utilises multiple cores and not running on a single core only like it did for years :smile:  a the massive lag issues a few months ago, that is gone too (at least for me).

Besides that, what @postlarval and @Setzer said. Great game, the scenery, vista on Ultra still look amazing, the seamless world makes wandering around and exploration pretty immersive - on the other hand it runs on an engine which has nearly 2 decades old parts in it, and got a truckload of fixes and patches and partly rewrites along the road, and it makes said poor engine fairly wonky on a lot of configurations...

As someone said (most likely after a fresh experience of the Spidey Homecoming movie) LotRO's engine is like the ferry in that movie :wink:  falling apart and only kept together with a bunch of ropes.

edit:
    Wedlen said:
    I tried it. I jsut cant gt into it. The graphics are far to outdated and the combat sucks
    That's a two way street, I have the same for ESO (Tera, etc. etc. ) the graphics are too glossy and the combat sucks  :smiley:
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I can't call it the best game ever made by any stretch, but I do agree with the OP.  LotRO for me nailed immersion.  It feels like Middle Earth.  Even though it's not the best graphics these days, there are still some amazing sights to behold in that game.  I usually go back once or twice a year so my Champion can shing shing things to death.

Oh, and the main title theme has been stuck in my head for like 7 years now.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I usually play WoW 1.12 with my girlfriend and do my best to re-live the 'nostalgia' through her (since she hasn't played it before). We recently switched to trying out LotRO and it's great so far. It's new for both of us and it's definitely old-school just the way we like it. The world feels huge, alive and immersive from the start. We always play for the journey and have no thoughts about 'endgame' at all. Highly recommended as an immersive, relaxed and fun couple-experience.

As for the graphics, i very much prefer it a bit dated. It's much easier on the eyes and less clutter and effects to process than for example ESO. Newer games usually look great in screenshots but try too hard when rendering in real-time, even breaking immersion and/or overfeeding your brain with 'cool stuff' that are just over-done.

Combat is slightly clunky but you quickly get used to it, and it's not bad at all if you enjoy the old-school tab-target style.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I only just returned for Mordor
    started a new character this morning
    as my level 93 warden is unplayable
    (Relearning all those skillchains might be just to much)
    i started a new beorning, which so far is quite a lot of fun

returning to lotro is allways like comming home
    the somewhat dated graphics are forgotten quickly
    and the lore and stories pull you into this world

its the most immersive game world...to me.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I have 2 lifetime accounts, bought them because of how much fun I had during beta.
    I don't play this game all the time, but it is one I have in my rotation of games that I play, and it is always fun to jump back in for a while.