Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC hardware decision

ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
edited October 2017 in Hardware
Hi ,

I could do with some help in regards to how to proceed in the following situation , from people who are are up to date with computer tech.

I currently have a pc working with the following parts :

Motherboard: MSI z87-g41 pc mate
 CPU :  i5 - 4670k
 GPU :  Radeon 7870 XT
 RAM :  8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
 PSU  :  Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W
 Storage : one 60 GB SSD for OS and some very old 500 GB HDD that sounds like war
 Monitor : 60 Hz Acer  with IPS panel

I have a budget of around 1000$ and the option to either change my hardware completely  , or upgrade certain components and leave others as they are.

If i wanted to upgrade the CPU to a newer generation, I would also have to switch out the motherboard and RAM. Is it worth it? Should I leave those in and focus on the GPU ?

Which scenario would be most beneficial for me considering my budget? All new stuff for 1000$ or upgrade stuff for 1000$? 

I initially thought I would upgrade the gpu to a GTX 1070 and get an OK 144hz monitor to go with it .

In regards to resolution, I'm not really looking to go above 1080p and no more than 1 monitor for gaming.

Games would be the only thing hogging the machine.

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited October 2017
    Might be a bit tight upgrading to a new platform with 1K only, why do you feel the need to upgrade?

Consider if you upgrade the cpu to coffee lake or ryzen you need a new cpu, new board, new ram.

Also from what you say new HDD and maybe a SDD upgraded to 240gb version for the OS and maybe a few fave games with the new HDD for main storage.

You need to figure out if the extra spent money will be worth it for you for the "maybe" noticeable difference when gaming?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Because I feel like my pc cannot keep up with the newer games as I would like it to.

edited October 2017
    Welp tbh I don't think you would notice such a huge difference upgrading the cpu compared to your gpu.

Is your cpu overclocked?
    What games do you feel it's not keeping up?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited October 2017
    Zadawn said:
    Because I feel like my pc cannot keep up with the newer games as I would like it to.
    Does this mean that you're playing particular games in which you can't get as good frame rates at as high of settings as you'd like?  Or is it a preemptive, "maybe some future game won't run well"?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2017
    I5 4670K is still a good processor and should run all games well enough. Upgrading to a better processor would give you some speed advantage, but not enough to be worth it:
      http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K/3941vs1538

Radeon 7870 XT is already an older GPU. It's still not bad, but upgrade to something like GTX 1070 should easily double your GPU performance:
      http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1070-vs-radeon-hd-7870-xt

I'd recommend leaving your CPU and upgrading only your GPU.

SSDs are now much cheaper than back when you bought your old 60GB SSD. You could get 500GB SSD at around 150$ and it would be huge upgrade to your loading times compared to your old hard disk.

For example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373
      I linked this SSD because it's atm on sale. After the sale is over some other model would be better purchase.

What monitor do you have and what are you planning to buy? IPS monitor sounds like it could be good, and 144 hz instead of 60 hz is only a minor improvement. In fast-paced FPS games it's good to have, but in other types of games the increased refresh rate is barely noticeable. Unless you're a hardcore FPS fan or the new monitor also has better picture quality than your old monitor I'd advice against upgrading.

If the new monitor you're planning to get also has significantly better picture quality then upgrade could be good idea.
    Post edited by Vrika on

edited October 2017
    Like Quiz asked what's your real motivation?

If you just want to splurge and spend on yourself and give yourself a new system there's nothing wrong with that but I would wait till I got 1500$ to spend.

If you just feel like your pc is struggling with certain game you could just:

~ make sure you got a decent overclock on your cpu, make sure you have a decent cooler
    ~ upgrade the gpu
    ~upgrade the SSD and get a cheap HDD for storage
    ~ maybe upgrade the ram to 16gb as some new games want 8gb minimum now

take a look here and you will see your gpu is 6 tiers down:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Also about fps there's not much point in getting 200fps on a 60hz monitor.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Google Asus Rog and check at Amazon.Prices are close to what you want to spend and Canadian prices,so if you live in the USA i am certain you can find and even better deal.Naturally you get what you pay for,i feel the Asus Rog PC's/Laptops are a good price and decent value.

IMO wait and save until you have around $1500,again if in USA you will do well also saving added tax.
    I don't feel an upgrade to your present system is worth it and will cost close to the same price or more.The 7700 I7 seems to be around 500-600 on Amazon and then add a mobo and a gtx 1070 gpu and your likely over budget,just not worth it.

Only concern would be to make sure your monitor has the proper cables to connect to a newer system,i don't know how old your monitor is.

I checked the USA pricing and seems similar but anyway a 17 inch laptop Asus I7 with the  GTX is selling for 1299.With tax your getting close to 1500 depending where you live,so yeah that is what i would do ,just save for a bit,maybe someone will help you out for Christmas.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Do not get a GTX 1070, RX 580, or Vega right now. They are still 50% more than MSRP. Get a 1080. Just have to say that since there seem to be suggestions for a 1070.

In your particular case, your system is fairly solid. I wouldn't replace the Mobo and CPU since you would also need to replace the ram. This would be an easy $500 cost to get something better than what you had.

I would go with a GTX 1080, 1TB 2.5" SSD, and a 27" 144hz Freesync monitor. I would say GSync, but those would set you back at least $500. That should be around $1000, but you will need to shop around a little.

PhryOzmodan
    Wizardry said:

I don't feel an upgrade to your present system is worth it and will cost close to the same price or more.The 7700 I7 seems to be around 500-600 on Amazon and then add a mobo and a gtx 1070 gpu and your likely over budget,just not worth it.
    Upgrading to I7-7700 now would be stupid. Something like the upcoming I5-8600K is much better if you can wait for them to reach stores
      http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8600K/3887vs3941

Also upgrading from I5-4670K to i7-7700 for gaming would be stupid. It's madly expensive upgrade for something that is only faster in games that scale well past 4 logical cores. There are some games that do scale past 4 threads but also too many games that won't scale. The update would give only situational advantage and it's not worth it.
     http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K/3887vs1538
    Asm0deus

Cleffy said:
    Do not get a GTX 1070, RX 580, or Vega right now. They are still 50% more than MSRP. Get a 1080. Just have to say that since there seem to be suggestions for a 1070.

Yes. Sorry for talking about GTX 1070 in my earlier post, I didn't realize to check that since OP was talking about that upgrade.

Crypto-miners have bought so many GPUs that they've caused a shortage and because of that GTX 1070's are right now too expensive. GTX 1080 costs still more, but it's likely better price to performance ratio.

GTX 1070 would be a good GPU if the price ever game down a little but right now it's a bit overpriced.

t0nyd said:
    Cleffy said:

In your particular case, your system is fairly solid. I wouldn't replace the Mobo and CPU since you would also need to replace the ram. This would be an easy $500 cost to get something better than what you had.

I would go with a GTX 1080, 1TB 2.5" SSD, and a 27" 144hz Freesync monitor. I would say GSync, but those would set you back at least $500. That should be around $1000, but you will need to shop around a little.

Why would you recommend an nvidia graphics card with a freesync monitor? I really must hear the train of thought. Seriously, lets waste money on a 144hz monitor and then buy a video card that will not support it...
    If you design a new, good quality gaming monitor these days and don't spend a fortune on Nvidia's G-sync module, you likely get FreeSync support basically for free.  Even if you're not going to use FreeSync, your selection of good gaming monitors that support neither FreeSync nor G-sync is going to be rather limited.  And unlike FreeSync, G-sync support adds a fortune to the price tag.
    Phry
    Cleffy said:

It's all about the price you pay.  If you can find a Radeon RX 580 for $200 that the Ethereum miners haven't snapped up yet, that's a good deal.  At $400, buying the same card would be ridiculous.

Ethereum mining is very heavy on random table lookups to large tables, as this was how they would make sure that it would be very hard to build an ASIC to do just Ethereum mining.  For whatever reason, Nvidia's GDDR5X controller (GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 Ti) don't handle random reads from global memory well.  Never mind ~3 GB tables as Ethereum uses; they choke on 16 MB tables, too.  So that means that the Ethereum miners who are buying up a lot of the good GPUs and forcing their prices upward ignore the GDDR5X cards.

Still, prices do seem to be returning to normal.  For example, New Egg now has a Radeon RX 580 for $250.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2017
    In addition to the above comments I would also add that its (also) a bad time to upgrade a cpu due to the current availability of Intel's Coffee Lake processors. 

Current Coffee Lake prices are significantly higher than Intel's suggested prices. Once supply issues are resolved in ..... several weeks? - prices of Coffee Lake will "drop" to Intel's suggested prices.

In turn this should put pressure on Intel non-Coffee Lake and AMD cpus.

If you still feel the need as others above have suggested a new graphics card is something that would transfer to any more significant upgrade. If you do consider monitors I would add that you should also look at quote TVs unquote. Many are also monitors. And as a result of volume production have been offering "more features" at a particular price point for some time. 
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Hi ,

I've read everyone's reply and I was able to bump the budget up to 1500 euro . 

I'm actually from Romania and not from the US, therefore some if not all parts are a bit more expensive here.

1500 euro would be around 7000 RON .

I would be buying from www.pcgarage.ro since that's the best website to buy from here in Romania.

I was thinking of something like this  https://www.pcgarage.ro/vizualizare-wishlist/2971966/   

Do I really need 16 gb of RAM right now ? RAM seems fairly pricey and if I don't really need 16 gb right now I could settle for 8 and get another 8 in the future.

This is by no means set in stone, but more of a guide line for you guys to pitch in if you'd like to.

If you would like to put together something better from that website , I'll gladly take it into consideration.

t0nyd said:
    Quizzical said:
    t0nyd said:
    Cleffy said:

Why would you recommend an nvidia graphics card with a freesync monitor? I really must hear the train of thought. Seriously, lets waste money on a 144hz monitor and then buy a video card that will not support it...
    If you design a new, good quality gaming monitor these days and don't spend a fortune on Nvidia's G-sync module, you likely get FreeSync support basically for free.  Even if you're not going to use FreeSync, your selection of good gaming monitors that support neither FreeSync nor G-sync is going to be rather limited.  And unlike FreeSync, G-sync support adds a fortune to the price tag.
    Point being, if you actually want to benefit from the price of a 144hz monitor, buy the correct format, otherwise save money by buying a 60hz panel. You could also go 4k 60hz because no one is pushing high fps anyway. To get a 1080 and go freesync is an awful waste of money. You could could get a 1070 and probably max out all games at 1080p 60hz. Hell or just wait for thr 1070ti. If I'm blowing the extra money to get a 1080 im going to get a gsync monitor and actually benefit from it.
    144 Hz is 144 Hz, whether you're using FreeSync, G-sync, or neither.  If you think you need FreeSync or G-sync and you're buying a new video card at the same time as the new monitor, then unless you've got the budget to fit a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, you're probably better off going with AMD and FreeSync.  Getting an otherwise identical monitor for $150 cheaper means that even if it costs an extra $100 to get an AMD card otherwise equivalent to the Nvidia, you still come out money ahead.  Sometimes Nvidia is a little cheaper for a given performance tier and sometimes AMD is, but it's pretty rare for Nvidia to be cheaper by more than $150 outside of top end performance where there simply isn't an AMD equivalent.
    Zadawn said:
    Hi ,

I've read everyone's reply and I was able to bump the budget up to 1500 euro . 

I'm actually from Romania and not from the US, therefore some if not all parts are a bit more expensive here.

1500 euro would be around 7000 RON .

I would be buying from www.pcgarage.ro since that's the best website to buy from here in Romania.

I was thinking of something like this  https://www.pcgarage.ro/vizualizare-wishlist/2971966/   

Do I really need 16 gb of RAM right now ? RAM seems fairly pricey and if I don't really need 16 gb right now I could settle for 8 and get another 8 in the future.

This is by no means set in stone, but more of a guide line for you guys to pitch in if you'd like to.

If you would like to put together something better from that website , I'll gladly take it into consideration.

There's no power supply and no case there.  I don't think it's a good idea to "upgrade" a computer by replacing most of the components, but salvaging only a couple of cheap things from the previous computer, as that means the old computer is no longer functional.

I think you're better off keeping your current CPU, motherboard, and probably memory.  You could get a new video card, new monitor, and new SSD, and that should be good.  When I look at your original build, storage is what jumps out at me as being the weakest part, as only 64 GB of SSD space isn't much.
    For ram it used to be 4gb min 8 recommended but we are seeing that change and I think the change will just get more pronounced.

• Dying Light: 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended
    • Grand Theft Auto V: 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended
    • The Witcher 3: 6GB minimum, 8GB recommended
    • Fallout 4: 8GB minimum and recommended
    • Batman: Arkham Knight: 6GB minimum, 8GB recommended, 12GB required for smooth gameplay on Windows 10 (source)
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider: 6GB minimum, 8GB recommended
    • Far Cry Primal: 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended
    • The Division: 6GB minimum, 8GB recommended
    • Hitman: 8GB minimum and recommended
    • Quantum Break: 8GB minimum, 16GB recommended (source)
    https://www.howtogeek.com/245245/how-much-ram-does-your-computer-need-for-pc-games/

I think we will be seeing mnay new games asking for 8gb min and 16 recommended now that coffee lake and ryzen are out. 

Was looking at Sword Art Online for pc from my download games site and saw it also has a 8gb min. requirement.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    My 2c for what it's worth at this point in the convo.

Upgrade the video card right now. That is the single biggest thing you could do at this point. There has been a lot of discussion about monitors as well - which are also nice ugprades (one I am hoping to do sooner than later myself)

Going past that, I would look for a larger SSD (and another larger HDD to replace the one that sounds like war).

Honestly just one the first two points above, I wouldn't feel too bad about spending your entire $1k budget on those items alone. If you have a really old PSU it wouldn't be a horrible idea to replace it at this time as well - if for no other reason than insurance for your new video card and continued good operation of everything else.

Upgrading the CPU to an i7 would be a very distant 3rd, and if you get to that point, then I would start considering the total system build -- not because an entirely new system would be much faster, just because your now at the point that maybe you consider selling your existing system as-is to fund your new build.

nVidia / AMD, Freesync / Gsync - meh. Get whatever you can get the best deal on.
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2017
    Zadawn said:

No, but your current amount of RAM is as likely to cause problems with new games as your current CPU.

Your plan looks like you're going to spend about 2700 RON to fix 50% of problems that are caused by those components and save 300 RON by letting another 50% of the problems to remain.

What game are you having problems with? I think you'd be much better off by switching only GPU at first and then checking if you still need more performance.

edited October 2017
    Vrika said:
    Zadawn said:

No, but your current amount of RAM is as likely to cause problems with new games as your current CPU.

Your plan looks like you're going to spend about 2700 RON to fix 50% of problems that are caused by those components and save 300 RON by letting another 50% of the problems to remain.

What game are you having problems with? I think you'd be much better off by switching only GPU at first and then checking if you still need more performance.
    Naw he just needs to overclock that puppy and the cpu is still fine, he likely to have more problems with runing min spec ram.  I agree his first thing to change is the gpu though.

If it was me I would OC to atleast 4.2 ghz, get a 240ish gb ssd and 1 or 2 tb hdd and new gpu and up the ram to 16gb.

Regardless though it really looks like he is keen on building a new system. This means he likely to have to cut corners if things are more expensive in his area like he says. 

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    edited October 2017
    The most noticeably upgrades you can do is upgrade your SSD and upgrade your GPU and get a new PSU to go with these. MY recommendations are these

Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

EVGA GTX 1070 SC

EVGA Supernova p2 850

This comes out to $720 plus tax

Save that extra money and when you get more then upgrade your MOBO CPU AND RAM and Monitor. Your CPU is fine for now anyways.

This way at least you'll have some good components instead of jsut having a whole system full of low end components sine $1000 is not enough to get a good new pc despite what people tell you.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    t0nyd said:
    Cleffy said:

At 144 hz, screen tearing won't be an issue. When the difference is a sub $300 Monitor or atleast $500 I think the choice should be obvious. I mention Freesync as there are some manufacturers who don't offer either even though it is simple to add the option for Freesync by a manufacturer if they support DisplayPort.
    If it was 60hz, then I would recommend a GSync monitor. Most likely, nVidia will support Freesync in the future as their cards have the capability to do so. They have adopted most open standards when they offer a competing proprietary solution.
    Gdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2017
    Zadawn said:
    Hi ,

I could do with some help in regards to how to proceed in the following situation , from people who are are up to date with computer tech.

I currently have a pc working with the following parts :

Motherboard: MSI z87-g41 pc mate
     CPU :  i5 - 4670k
     GPU :  Radeon 7870 XT
     RAM :  8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
     PSU  :  Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze 620W
     Storage : one 60 GB SSD for OS and some very old 500 GB HDD that sounds like war
     Monitor : 60 Hz Acer  with IPS panel

I have a budget of around 1000$ and the option to either change my hardware completely  , or upgrade certain components and leave others as they are.

If i wanted to upgrade the CPU to a newer generation, I would also have to switch out the motherboard and RAM. Is it worth it? Should I leave those in and focus on the GPU ?

Which scenario would be most beneficial for me considering my budget? All new stuff for 1000$ or upgrade stuff for 1000$? 

I initially thought I would upgrade the gpu to a GTX 1070 and get an OK 144hz monitor to go with it .

In regards to resolution, I'm not really looking to go above 1080p and no more than 1 monitor for gaming.

Games would be the only thing hogging the machine.

For $1000 you can build a Core I7 system with at least a i7-6800k or higher, black friday is near so you can get an Asus ROG Board + i7 1151 combo for cheap soon around $500.

Then you can get 32 Gigs GEIL DDR4-3600 or better

Assuming you have a 1000 watt + Power Supply, Hard Drives, Video Card, and Optical Drives this build would be under $1000 because I re-use my old parts in my new builds unless I really have to change something.

Otherwise yeah idk but I would spend the few extra bucks and go with at least a 1151 or better if can be afford.

Also personally I would throw that PSU, RAM, and GPU out the window and switch to Nvidia much better performance so obviously for a 1080ti throw in an additional $800 at least for the ROG Version of the Asus, and if you don't have the Obsidian 900D an Additional $400 because running this at full load with too small of a case over-heats with a 1080ti so yeah unless going liquid but assuming staying within budget can always go with something much smaller, but at least a I7 CPU that is for sure.

Left my PC Online for 27 days without any restart played games just fine restarted to apply updates only.

Left my pc online 9 days today still playing games just fine, no blue screens, no lag, no bullshit.
    Post edited by Renoaku on
    Gdemami
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited October 2017
    There are some posters here that completely ignored your original post.  Have to wonder about their comprehension what you wrote and your price limits.

Anyone advocating a 1070 is out of the loop.  1070 prices are artificially high right now.  In fact it is so bad that a 1080 can be bought for about $25 more.  A 1080 will be decent for some years to come as the gpu makers are getting to the point where large gains in gpu performance are becoming very difficult.

Upgrade your SSD to a 512gb one, you can put your most played games on the SSD and that will make a huge difference.  Also one tb hard disks are around $40 get one and replace that old hard disk, failure rate after 5 years is common.

Upgrading the CPU will not get you much at all.  Games are mostly i/o and gpu bound.  As to memory, 8 gb is still fine for most games, memory prices are also a bit inflated at the moment.

Nothing wrong with your power supply, it will support all of the above easily.