Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riot Celebrates Noobs By Telling Them to Enjoy the Hell Out of It - League of Legends Official Movie

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageRiot Celebrates Noobs By Telling Them to Enjoy the Hell Out of It - League of Legends Official Movie

Riot has posted a great new League of Legends commercial literally called

Read the full story here

Comments

• SemuneSemune Member UncommonPosts: 15
    A highly competitive environment breeds toxicity, everyone who starts these games knows this. It's interesting that they still push this sort of stuff to cull toxicity when they really should just enhance the report features and heavily encourage muting.
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Exactly. Convince your toxic player base to embrace noobs and maybe this commercial will make sense. It is difficult to enjoy being new while having expletives screamed at you the entire game.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    first they need to fix their que system, so that they stop putting total nubes with average players. seriously, how is it that i have over a 1000 hours in Dota 2 and still get teamed up with players that don't even know who should buy a courier?! the que system in non-ranked matches is absolutely horrendous, in all mobas.

secondly, like Semune said, they need to take heavier penalties for people that get reported often.
    Kyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Why are they focusing on noobs,instead of the game?IMO this is a very lame tactic to marketing.

The game is very shallow and that is all i care about.Sure same could be said about a fps,except the ONLY tactics are your own,no minions no other influences,just you versus opponent in a game of aim,wits,deception and calculative risks.

I guess again a moba can be somewhat compared in that the routes are limited,a fps arena map only has 2-3 lanes,routes,however a moba forces out players to act because of the mindless minions and the goal,to me that is not a pure vanilla pvp scenario,i want to engage and calculate when i feel like it not when game mechanics decide i have to or lose my base.

I akin mobas to more like ctf or control points than a purest pvp fps.I much prefer the overall skill base of a fps arena game over moba's.Yeah one could argue a moba plays better as a team based game than a truest fps arena match but when comes to pvp,that is all i want,a 1 versus 1 no outside interference,no ranks,ladders,heroes,just me versus you and nothing will ever top that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Wizardry said:
    Why are they focusing on noobs,instead of the game?IMO this is a very lame tactic to marketing.

The game is very shallow and that is all i care about.Sure same could be said about a fps,except the ONLY tactics are your own,no minions no other influences,just you versus opponent in a game of aim,wits,deception and calculative risks.

I guess again a moba can be somewhat compared in that the routes are limited,a fps arena map only has 2-3 lanes,routes,however a moba forces out players to act because of the mindless minions and the goal,to me that is not a pure vanilla pvp scenario,i want to engage and calculate when i feel like it not when game mechanics decide i have to or lose my base.

I akin mobas to more like ctf or control points than a purest pvp fps.I much prefer the overall skill base of a fps arena game over moba's.Yeah one could argue a moba plays better as a team based game than a truest fps arena match but when comes to pvp,that is all i want,a 1 versus 1 no outside interference,no ranks,ladders,heroes,just me versus you and nothing will ever top that.

Honestly with LoL's population they don't even need focus on marketing at all
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited October 2017

Wizardry said:

well of all the mobas LoL is known as being the most "new player" friendly, for its starting simplicity and slower pace. also the artwork is definitely engineered to cater to a younger audience, which also happens to usually be the more nube audience. i think they understand that's their strong point and want to focus on it.

i remember when i first played mobas i tried LoL, Dota 2, Hon, and Smite and out of all 4 LoL was the only one i could actually play and do things instead of just getting my ass handed constantly. its just the pace, and the vision, and the whole set up, it's very forgiving. dota 2 was a horrible experience at first, until i learned the ropes in LoL and then got a buddy that helped me understand how to avoid constant ganks.... then it got fun, so fun actually that i now find LoL just too slow and restrictive.
    thighhighs
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Wait...

They celebrate NOOBS? Or Newbs?

You know, there's a difference...
    Gee...no kidding.

Check the spelling on the video itself from Riot. It's "noobs".
    GorweSirAgravaine

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    being a noob is not to be celebrated being a newb is fine lol
    GorweSBFord
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    So that's how millennial minds operate. When there's no new fresh meat coming in they resort to hand-holding (in a mental/feeling state.) Interesting.
    MadFrenchie
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Sadly people have gotten so good at this that you could literally play for years and still be a noob.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2017
    League OF Legends isn't as toxic as it was IMO LOL, has done the most to improve toxicity over the years compared to Smite, and DOTA 2.

In DOTA 2, you get punished just for being reported regardless of being toxic in chat or not, players scream fouls at you, players auto lock stuff, argue all the time doesn't matter you get reproted welcome to LPQ, similar with Smite, I found my ADC, or Support being toxic in 3 games, got my account suspended up to a week for nothing emailed customer service twice and finally got a response, and I brought up how their employee on discord said its allowed to harassment others, pulled out like 5 other snapshots of players being toxic in chat, and finally they said (we will review it, and pretty much told me to play better.) Or they would think I am itnentionally throwihng regardless of the ADC being toxic and roaming when they should have been farming in lane not trying to roam that early and screaming in chat.

Riot Games on the other hand punishes players for threatening reports, asking others to report others, or (ANY UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT) in the past with the Tribunal it was horrid having players judge others for the slightest of things, but now its completely automated for racist words, fouls, and even Riot reviews games for intentional feed / trolls, its a lot better, sure you still have to deal with the (Idiots) throwing games, or (n00bs) as the video describes especially in the lower tiers, but its nowhere as bad as Smite or DOTA 2 are things that should be adopted to both these games things like (Role Selection) and such but developers do not and so role selection is one of the most toxic things but Riot Games has gotten rid of a lot of toxicity.

Smite for example the other day players refused to communicate in chat, I told them I don't use in game voice because they use Vivox which is easy to obtain others IP addresses then DDOS other users, so champion selection was simitoxic, no one raged (This time) but people don't talk over half the time and then argue over your choice of what you play or why a game is going so bad when no one talks at all lol (So much for team play right?)

edit: I also think the point of the video is to expalin to newer players that it is okay to be bad at the game when playing just as you were in Real Life when trying to learn something new, not so much as insulting others, people who bash newbs on league will get banned just like tyler 1.

If I had to rank the MOBA's from Best to worst.

League OF Legends
    Over Watch / Heroes OF The Storm
    Smite
    DOTA 2.

Although I love smite, and DOTA 2, the developers have failed to do anything proper to remove the toxicity and depend entirely on automated systems to hand out automated punishments which is abused by toxic players meaning in smite toxic players harassing others without fouls like (Report X user) do not get punished unless you submit evidence, for example going like just guessing 4-20 bbecause a toxic adc left lane and roam before 6 leaving a hard support in a 2v1 and raging in game chat, nothing gets done unless evidence is submitted manually to Hi-Rez meanwhile a few reports for intentional feeding = automated ban, but there is a reason ill never play a support class in smite again is because people are toxic not worth getting banned for trying to support a toxic player i reserve support classes for my friends who actually play.