Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon's Breakaway Is Basically Canceled

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
https://compete.kotaku.com/sources-amazons-breakaway-is-basically-canceled-1819874378

No layoffs are planned at the moment for the internet shipping giant’s gaming arm, but the game is on “indefinite hiatus,” a source said.

[Deleted User]

Comments

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Cool.  As much as I love Amazon.  We don't need another corporate publisher pushing p2w (or Amazon's new Stream To Win) competitive PvP games.  Market is flooded anyway.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It looked bad anyway. Hopefully they're still working on New World.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SBFord said:
    Yeah, but you didn't have two unnamed sources inside Amazon to confirm its basically cancelled.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    Honestly that's what I was expecting all along. AAA MMOs are dead for the time being. Hate Kickstarters as much as you want, you have a choice between waiting on them or the as-of-yet-unnamed Magic The Gathering MMO by Cryptic, which I am feeling will likely be canceled as well.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Eldurian said:
    Honestly that's what I was expecting all alone. AAA MMOs are dead for the time being. Hate Kickstarters as much as you want, you have a choice between waiting on them or the as-of-yet-unnamed Magic The Gathering MMO by Cryptic, which I am feeling will likely be canceled as well.
    Breakaway wasn't going to be an mmo, it was going to be a 4 vs 4 pvp game. New World, which they're hopefully still working on, is the mmo.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Forgrimm said:
    Eldurian said:
    Honestly that's what I was expecting all alone. AAA MMOs are dead for the time being. Hate Kickstarters as much as you want, you have a choice between waiting on them or the as-of-yet-unnamed Magic The Gathering MMO by Cryptic, which I am feeling will likely be canceled as well.
    Breakaway wasn't going to be an mmo, it was going to be a 4 vs 4 pvp game. New World, which they're hopefully still working on, is the mmo.
    There has been supposedly been hinting that it's going to be closer to one of those limited pop count survival crafting games.  Though that's only as reliable as a few dozen redditors, and considering that recommendations on the preorder page doesn't really have any MMOs I guess it's possible (I'd at least expect EVE timecards to show up, but they don't).

As for breakaway, Amazon probably felt like it has had no chance since every other Wanna Be DOTA A Like Arena Game But Different has been failing.   Why would you want your studios first game to be a guaranteed failure.
    YashaX

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Eldurian said:
    Honestly that's what I was expecting all along. AAA MMOs are dead for the time being. Hate Kickstarters as much as you want, you have a choice between waiting on them or the as-of-yet-unnamed Magic The Gathering MMO by Cryptic, which I am feeling will likely be canceled as well.

nah .. that is a false dilemma.

My choice is to watch Stranger Things season 2, then decide whether to play Destiny 2, Wolfenstein or Assassin Creed Origin.

And oh, John Grisham has a new novel out too. I highly doubt i have time to squeeze in another AAA MMO, even if there is one coming out.