Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warframe - Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarframe - Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Review - MMORPG.com

Plains of Eidolon is a massive redirection in thinking for Digital Extremes that pushed the studio into a very scary direction for the game. I applaud them for constantly asking the question, “What can we do to make our game better than it has ever been?” Seriously, just keep asking that question and making it happen.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Warframe...a game that was in open beta for years, and now is trying to catch up to the quasi open-world shooter craze. The Division and Destiny do this sort of thing a lot better.

I pumped hundreds and hundreds of hours (and a few hundred dollars) into Warframe. But, too slowly, I realized that my support of the game was going into new warframes, primes, guns...new things to level. Thats it. Ocassionally we got something ground breaking like the focus system (took a while), factions (took a while)... But most of their piece meal content is new guns to level and forma and forma and forma. I refused to support that development direction. I need more. I like new guns and frames and primes, but come on.

The division, without any DLC purchased, I have put in a measely 200 hours, and could easily give more. If I spent some $$ on DLC, I could push it to 400 or 500 hours.

I just got Destiny 2, never having played the first one, and I can easily see my self being consumed for a long time with more content than warframe can offer.

This release for warframe...is way too late. It has its fanatics as you say, and thats most of its playerbase. It really is a dull game. Sit in a mission for 2 hours until it becomes difficult. My god...
    unfilteredJWTokkenpolki
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

cesmode8 said:

Warframe...a game that was in open beta for years, and now is trying to catch up to the quasi open-world shooter craze. The Division and Destiny do this sort of thing a lot better.

I pumped hundreds and hundreds of hours (and a few hundred dollars) into Warframe. But, too slowly, I realized that my support of the game was going into new warframes, primes, guns...new things to level. Thats it. Ocassionally we got something ground breaking like the focus system (took a while), factions (took a while)... But most of their piece meal content is new guns to level and forma and forma and forma. I refused to support that development direction. I need more. I like new guns and frames and primes, but come on.

The division, without any DLC purchased, I have put in a measely 200 hours, and could easily give more. If I spent some $$ on DLC, I could push it to 400 or 500 hours.

I just got Destiny 2, never having played the first one, and I can easily see my self being consumed for a long time with more content than warframe can offer.

This release for warframe...is way too late. It has its fanatics as you say, and thats most of its playerbase. It really is a dull game. Sit in a mission for 2 hours until it becomes difficult. My god...

I don't know bout Destiny 2 first hand but what I have heard there isn't as much content as there are missions in WarFrame. Now the story in Destiny is more linear and straight forward but after that pretty much same as most games repeat same missions so I guess if you like those missions and strikes then yes by all means but to say more content I don't think so.

I do agree that the game is designed around getting better or different weapons and leveling them up which does get way too much but with new crafting I hope that it adds some variety to that. Loot games no matter the game are all the same get loot look for better loot use that loot till you find better loot.

The open world part of WarFrame is a nice change but it you are right a game designed around open world is better than one trying to incorporate it in the later stages.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Destiny 2 = 3 classes.
    Warframe = 34 classes.
    zigalucardchojin2kunfilteredJWZandogTekaelon

l2p

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403

Piscore said:

Destiny 2 = 3 classes.

Warframe = 34 classes.

I just tried the game on PS4 few days ago don't remember having a choice to select a class not even character selection.
    zigalucardZandogpolki
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DeadSpock said:

Piscore said:

Destiny 2 = 3 classes.

Warframe = 34 classes.

I just tried the game on PS4 few days ago don't remember having a choice to select a class not even character selection.
    I believe that he's referring to the Warframes.
    zigalucardWraithone
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263

Forgrimm said:

DeadSpock said:

Piscore said:

Destiny 2 = 3 classes.

Warframe = 34 classes.

I believe that he's referring to the Warframes.

yep

l2p

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    After seeing that Anthem video which looks like a high quality warframe with open world makes me wait patiently for that instead.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Warframe makes you pay real money in order to have adequate inventory space. That stopped me right in my tracks. Yes its free to play...until you run out of inventory space.
    unfilteredJWMrMelGibson
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    edited October 2017

Warframe makes you pay real money in order to have adequate inventory space. That stopped me right in my tracks. Yes its free to play...until you run out of inventory space.

So it's free to play. Not to mention it's cake to make plat in game. Or the fact there are promotions where you get a weapon and a slot for it for free.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Started playing at the Plains of Eidolon launch. Deep progression, loot and class system. I found out quickly that the plains were not for new players. Very pleased with it's weapon, warframe 'battlesuit', and cosmetic diversity. The level assets could use more variety at times but the story is compelling enough to keep me logging in.

It was interesting how many people were complaining about Warframe's shortcomings and were jumping ship for Destiny 2. A week has passed and the complaining has stopped with players expressing how much they appreciate Warframe now. Could Destiny 2 be that bad? I don't know but I have yet to buy it because of what Warframe has been able to offer the few weeks I've played it. I was really hoping Destiny 2 would surpass it as a well rounded raid progression game. While Warframe does lack some direction, the wiki has provided much of the help I needed.

I'll be waiting to see how much polish Destiny 2 gets over the next few months. I'm really glad I held onto my money and stayed with this free to play game.
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    edited October 2017
    The lack of any trading system except direct trade, like Auction House or some type of automatic market, was the biggest drawback of this game for me. I found it unplayable because of this and uninstalled it. I consider Auction House a mandatory feature for any MMO game (or wannabe MMO game).
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I heard & read that this game is really good for a free-to-play game & that this latest expansion does a good job expanding upon positive qualities of the game. The only off-putting, to me, qualities I've read about so far in this game are the economic since it lacks an open market world system. I just need to get off my lazy a z z & download to try it now.
  • woodzip87woodzip87 Member UncommonPosts: 11

I heard & read that this game is really good for a free-to-play game & that this latest expansion does a good job expanding upon positive qualities of the game. The only off-putting, to me, qualities I've read about so far in this game are the economic since it lacks an open market world system. I just need to get off my lazy a z z & download to try it now.

It's a great game. It's been said many times before but the worst part about Warframe is its unfriendly nature towards new gamers. I would just warn you to be patient and try to learn about it and get into it. Reddit and the wiki are your friends (well, some of Reddit)
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    woodzip87 said:

It's a great game. It's been said many times before but the worst part about Warframe is its unfriendly nature towards new gamers. I would just warn you to be patient and try to learn about it and get into it. Reddit and the wiki are your friends (well, some of Reddit)
    Im off putted by art design - each warframe to me look like spawn of bike and octopus. Also, grind is abyssmal in this title. Free to grind or pay up. 

But it looks great, controls awesome, provide variety of styles (melee, ranged, mix and warframes themselfs) and run on tosters on ultra with 100 fps. 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    An aggressive waste of time, they've let the power creep sooo far where it gets to the point that weapons/warframes are pointless. Nothing meaty to sink your teeth in, just vapid grind after vapid grind against enemies that can't fight back.
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    An aggressive waste of time, they've let the power creep sooo far where it gets to the point that weapons/warframes are pointless. Nothing meaty to sink your teeth in, just vapid grind after vapid grind against enemies that can't fight back.

The fight doesn't get real until 4th or 5th planet, well after your first warframe and first set of weapons are maxed out. After that, the enemies get more difficult. (tankier, more damage, more abilities, security override puzzles get harder) Along the way, you are still learning the game's systems and what's possible. There is no denying it's either grind or pay for convenience to get that you want. As I said in my above comments, I've read players ditch Warframe for Destiny 2, only to return a week or so later, appreciating what Warframe really has to offer. 
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I just started warframe like two days ago... in about 12 hours of play I already discovered that it's about 20x better than destiny... I now have Frost Prime through the amazon prime deal and man.. it's sick. This game is severely underrated.

• littlboiblu765littlboiblu765 Member CommonPosts: 1

you dont have to pay real money, you can easily farm platinum by selling prime parts