Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this or XIV for a duo

Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
Pretty much says it all

Comments

• kallenskallens Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I would say FFXIV, run a tank and a healer. ESO quests can be buggy when trying to run them together with someone else.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited October 2017
    I say ESO. If you get top end in ESO and really good at playing your classes you can easily duo the group dungeons.
    MrMelGibsonjosko9
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    kallens said:
    I would say FFXIV, run a tank and a healer. ESO quests can be buggy when trying to run them together with someone else.
    They were at launch hasn't been an issue for a long time.

When it first came out the game checked to - basically - see if all members of a group were on the same step of a quest chain. Good for immersion, bad for group play.

Zenimax subsequently changed things so that most quests no longer have prerequisites. Bad for immersion but good for group play! Less load on the server as well. Now only "major events" have prerequisites. Same deal basically as WoW etc.  
    MrMelGibsonjosko9
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    As to your question @soki123 both games are "solid". Graphically they are very different but I assume that you are happy with both.

Financially:  
    1. FFXIV has a free trial so maybe try this first? (ESO only occasionally has a free trial). 

2. If still unsure try ESO? No sub needed as its b2p. And whatever version you get will give you moinths of content so you can decide later if you want to spend any more on it. You should be able to pick up a fairly cheap copy.

3. And then decide if you want to go back to FFXIV maybe or stick with ESO?

-both have lots of PvE quests; 
    - both have PvP although ESO has both PvP and Realm based stuff (PvP for people who don't like PvP!);
    - both games have multi-player dungeons - so stuff you will usually need a group / to use a group finder for;
    - both have stuff that usually needs many people but not necessarily grouped (co-op play);
    - FFXIV you focus on 1 of 4 classes; ESO just has damage/heal/tank roles - and you can change things around a lot almost on the fly. (There are some situations were you really need to focus on one of the three but typically you can change on the fly, swap gear and skills etc.) Bottomline: if you want dedicated focus - as some do - you might prefer FXIV; if you prefer flexibility - use any weapon, wear any gear - you might prefer ESO.
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    FFXIV:ARR, my main character there is a Black mage for dps, scholar for healing, and paladin for tanking, its a great game for content, far better than ESO imo, though if you prefer PVP over PVE then ESO as FFXIV:ARR doesn't really do PVP all that well.
    DragneluskallensNephethConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonjosko9[Deleted User]
  • BisloboBislobo Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Do you prefer pvp or pve? If pvp then ESO, it's great to duo in Cyrodiil. If you are more into pve, ESO is more about 4 player dungeons and 12 player trails, so you will need a good guild. I am giving you my insight, from an ESO player point of view. I know that XIV don't invest much into PvP and i also know that the endgame PvE is nice there... Never reached it though.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    or doing raids/dungeons together I def say FFXIV. For just relax questing together I say ESO.
    MrMelGibson

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    ESO for sure.  FFXIV has too much personal instancing and you have to be playing ONLY together at the exact same time for it to be worthwhile.

If either of you does anything that the other doesn't you are going to have to wait for them to catch up or vice versa.

Also: you will have a SHITLOAD of crappy fetch quests from expansion filler to do in order to get to the populated areas.

Source: Played with my wife.
    [Deleted User]DarkswormNyghthowlerYashaXMrMelGibson
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited December 2017

Duplicate.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited December 2017
    ESO for sure.  FFXIV has too much personal instancing and you have to be playing ONLY together at the exact same time for it to be worthwhile.

If either of you does anything that the other doesn't you are going to have to wait for them to catch up or vice versa.

Also: you will have a SHITLOAD of crappy fetch quests from expansion filler to do in order to get to the populated areas.

The bulk of your gameplay in those games is spent at max end game levels running dungeons, raids, and other comparable content.

You act like there aren't a shit ton of fetch quests in ESO, and like the game doesn't send you across the world to do some of the most mundane, trivial things.

The game is even set up so that you basically play through every faction's quest grind...  So you're probably going to do a ton more worthless quests in ESO than you have to do while leveling up in WoW of FFXIV - especially considering the Champion Point system in ESO.

I cannot understand this criticism of FFXIV, especially from an ESO player (or anything trying to push ESO over it).  ESO is as much a quest hub factory game as WoW or FFXIV - even more so, IMO.  There are even a bunch of boring quests on Cyrodil, when you get there...
    MrMelGibson
    Darksworm said:

The bulk of your gameplay in those games is spent at max end game levels running dungeons, raids, and other comparable content.

You act like there aren't a shit ton of fetch quests in ESO, and like the game doesn't send you across the world to do some of the most mundane, trivial things.

The game is even set up so that you basically play through every faction's quest grind...  So you're probably going to do a ton more worthless quests in ESO than you have to do while leveling up in WoW of FFXIV - especially considering the Champion Point system in ESO.

I cannot understand this criticism of FFXIV, especially from an ESO player (or anything trying to push ESO over it).  ESO is as much a quest hub factory game as WoW or FFXIV - even more so, IMO.  There are even a bunch of boring quests on Cyrodil, when you get there...
    Wrong.

You literally have to be in lock step with your duo partner in FFXIV or it turns into a shitshow.  ESO is FAR more flexible.
    PhryCelciusScorchien
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2017
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

You literally have to be in lock step with your duo partner in FFXIV or it turns into a shitshow.  ESO is FAR more flexible.
      This is not true , as one toon in FF14 can do all jobs.. Sooo  , when your friend /other is not on you can lvl  any of 10 other Jobs/Classes without effecting the class you are leveling with a friend/other .. So completly false info here ..
      Also to add you may find it benficial to lvl an other class to try out with your friend/other//

But on point for the OP , both games are good and either would work .. Just see which one you and your friend like better ..
    MrMelGibson
    Scorchien said:
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

This is not true , as one toon in FF14 can do all jobs.. Sooo  , when your friend /other is not on you can lvl  any of 10 other Jobs/Classes without effecting the class you are leveling with a friend/other .. So completly false info here ..
      Also to add you may find it benficial to lvl an other class to try out with your friend/other//

But on point for the OP , both games are good and either would work .. Just see which one you and your friend like better ..
    So you're just going to ignore quests that are mandatory to do then?  Ok...

If you're playing together with someone on FFXIV you can't play without the other person unless you want to waste a bunch of time waiting for them to catch up to you, or you follow them around repeating the same quests with them you've already done.

OH!  And by the way you can't share quests so you will literally follow them around and just help kill shit and get nothing for it.

I played FFXIV for YEARS, get out of here with that dumb shit.
    CelciusYashaXMrMelGibson
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

If you're playing together with someone on FFXIV you can't play without the other person unless you want to waste a bunch of time waiting for them to catch up to you, or you follow them around repeating the same quests with them you've already done.

OH!  And by the way you can't share quests so you will literally follow them around and just help kill shit and get nothing for it.

Not true at all....  you can lvl any other Job with out doing those quests .. You would think you know that , .. beings you have played for years ..

So if you are leveling a Bard with your Maurder friend /  and you both are at X point of MSQ .. and your friend isnt not on you switch to your  class Red Mage and can Lvl Roulette /Levemettes /Fates .. etc.. and never ever ever veer  off the course (of the StoryLine) with your friend ....As you then switch back to your lvl appropriate story appropriate Bard that you have been playing with your friend.. This process  will unlock Job related skills that would be beneficial to your main class also ... also helping you fund your main and alt jobs in seals and gil...

But i digress

It really very simple for anyone that has experience with FF14
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    Phry[Deleted User]
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    People tell you in ESO you can have all the variety you want. You will quickly learn it is all about cookie cutter builds and moving from one quest to the next ticking off boxes.

There really is no difference between the two. I would pick which ever you like the lore of more.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2017
    So many differences between the two it's best as someone suggested.  FFXIV free trial.  Then try ESO for awhile and stick with the one you like.  I went with ESO simply because most of the quests were voiced and FFIV had more written quests.  Also I can play ESO without a sub.  Both good games.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited December 2017
    People tell you in ESO you can have all the variety you want. You will quickly learn it is all about cookie cutter builds...
    No it is not.

... and moving from one quest to the next ticking off boxes.
    No it is not.

There really is no difference between the two.
    There's no difference between apples and oranges either. I mean, both are fruits, right?
    Highly disagree on the first contention Jean-Luc.  There is no debating that the meta in ESO is a runaway train.

I've never played a game where the meta performs 200% better than any other build.  

Most games have a meta that outperforms everything else by 5-10%. 

In ESO  not running a meta build is just plain stupid, as you're making your life considerably harder for no reason.

It doesn't help that the devs design around that as the benchmark either.
    YashaX[Deleted User]
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

Not true at all....  you can lvl any other Job with out doing those quests .. You would think you know that , .. beings you have played for years ..

So if you are leveling a Bard with your Maurder friend /  and you both are at X point of MSQ .. and your friend isnt not on you switch to your  class Red Mage and can Lvl Roulette /Levemettes /Fates .. etc.. and never ever ever veer  off the course (of the StoryLine) with your friend ....As you then switch back to your lvl appropriate story appropriate Bard that you have been playing with your friend.. This process  will unlock Job related skills that would be beneficial to your main class also ... also helping you fund your main and alt jobs in seals and gil...

But i digress

Yeah, you can make no progress in the one thing that prevents you from moving closer to endgame, brilliant!
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited December 2017
    ESO for sure. You can do pretty much everything in the game together with very few exceptions. (A couple of story quests and daily quests) FF14 has loads of solo only quests that take up the bulk of the leveling experience that you cannot play together and most end game content requires more then 2 people. In ESO you can even duo the top end dungeons with the right classes. There are a few raids as well that you cannot duo, but that is it really. Both games are pretty weak in the PvP department however, with ESO probably eeking out slightly higher with Cyrodil. 

Also I can't believe someone mentioned cookie cutter builds for ESO. Someone clearly has not played the game very much. You can do everything with a wide variety of builds. I have done all the trials in the game without looking at a single build website and just totally winging it lol...in FF14 there is 0 character customization ;P Every job plays one way. 
    Celcius said:
    ESO for sure. You can do pretty much everything in the game together with very few exceptions. (A couple of story quests and daily quests) FF14 has loads of solo only quests that take up the bulk of the leveling experience that you cannot play together and most end game content requires more then 2 people. In ESO you can even duo the top end dungeons with the right classes. There are a few raids as well that you cannot duo, but that is it really. Both games are pretty weak in the PvP department however, with ESO probably eeking out slightly higher with Cyrodil. 

Also I can't believe someone mentioned cookie cutter builds for ESO. Someone clearly has not played the game very much. You can do everything with a wide variety of builds. I have done all the trials in the game without looking at a single build website and just totally winging it lol...in FF14 there is 0 character customization ;P Every job plays one way. 
    Just because you didn't look up a guide doesn't mean you're not using a meta/fotm build lol.  In fact you would never know if you never looked!

Not making a point about the build diversity debate atm, just an observation regarding your comment.
    YashaX
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Darksworm said:

Wrong.

But i digress

Yeah, you can make no progress in the one thing that prevents you from moving closer to endgame, brilliant!
    You do make progress in game ,and towards end game as you lvl other jobs to unlock shared job Skills ..etc also..  at end game you need lots of seals/currencies , you need ventures .. you need crafting mats .. Even when you complete SB you still need to do these things to ... But you would know that if you played seriously at all... and knew the game with other than the most basic gameplay and approach...

Also by leveling other Jobs you are making yourself more useful to your friend and FC and any group that you may encounter .. Which will help you build a better reputation in game .. which ALL will be beneficial to the ONE thing getting you closer to endgame

you have an agenda here and are moving the goalposts and spewing out falsehoods to froward an agenda of ESO , not a good look ..

Both games are good and have great set ups for a couple to play they need to try or watch some vids and decide which may suit them better ..
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I'm burned out of both those games just bought BDO let's see how this goes.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2017
    People tell you in ESO you can have all the variety you want. You will quickly learn it is all about cookie cutter builds...
    No it is not.

... and moving from one quest to the next ticking off boxes.
    No it is not.

There really is no difference between the two.
    There's no difference between apples and oranges either. I mean, both are fruits, right?
    Highly disagree on the first contention Jean-Luc.  There is no debating that the meta in ESO is a runaway train.

I've never played a game where the meta performs 200% better than any other build.  

Most games have a meta that outperforms everything else by 5-10%. 

In ESO  not running a meta build is just plain stupid, as you're making your life considerably harder for no reason.

It doesn't help that the devs design around that as the benchmark either.
    The thing about ESO is that you can really screw up a build if you don't know what you're doing and there is nothing in the game that will hold your hand and steer you in a proper build direction.

You can, if you want, stack magicka, wear heavy armor with a + fire damage set bonus, and use a bow on both bars if you want. THAT build will definitely be 200% less efficient as DPS as a meta stamina or meta magicka DPS build.

But if we're going to talk about meta vs. another competent, well-designed build done by knowledgeable players you would see the same 5-10% you see in other games... other games which by the way, do most of the heavy lifting for you by locking you into classes that give you  100% of your abilities and preventing you from using the wrong armor or weapon. Some of that armor and weapons even gives you different stats depending on which class is wearing it to further protect you from screwing things up.

ESO gives you the freedom to totally mess up builds and some players do just that. Other players however just get creative and come up with niche single purpose builds constantly.

I have recently leveled and played deliberate non-meta PVE builds that work pretty damn well such as a bow/bow stamden and a S&B/DW stamsorc high damage tank to name just a couple.

Here's an example of a very unique non-meta Sorc PVP build I just ran into a couple of days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=x6QY_B-PKNY

What ESO excels at is letting creative and knowledgeable players experiment and come up with stuff like that.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]YashaXMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited December 2017
     Though I find both games boring, Id say definitely FFXIV.  If you're looking for a duo game I assume you are willing to have a character you play only with your buddy, or like someone pointed out, lvl other jobs while your friend is offline.

ESO is easy PVE even solo.  Add a duo partner, and unless you seriously F up your toons, the PVE is retardedly easy, and you can't just go to a higher level zone or quests to make it more interesting, because all zones & mobs are level scaled.  Boring as hell, you might as well both roleplay taking a leisurely stroll on the beach, while mobs around you fall dead of some mysterious disease.

ESO seriously screwed up and ruined the feeling of progression many players play these games for.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Celcius said:

Just because you didn't look up a guide doesn't mean you're not using a meta/fotm build lol.  In fact you would never know if you never looked!

Not making a point about the build diversity debate atm, just an observation regarding your comment.
    Right, so I just accidently stumbled into a meta build when there are dozens of sets and hundreds of skill variations. Yeah, sure. I suppose that is possible.....
    YashaX