Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game online ?

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    BDO is still doing well, honestly, asking why the game is online is akin to asking why is the sky blue and grass green, i guess this is what is meant by the term, putting the oxy in moron. :p
    rena_ryugu
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2017

Asian mmos with cash shops have been in the back round since the age of time.  NO ONE IN THE WEST PLAYED THEM.  Their popular now because nothing is the west is being developed because of the re-molding of what we have now. 
    Tilting at windmills would be a more accurate description.

I live in the West. My first MMORPG back in 2002 I think, was Lineage 1 and I played it 6 months. My 4th MMORPG was Lineage 2, again, another 6 month run. (Both pre WOW)

Since then I played Aion, Tera, Runes of Magic, and ArcheAge 3 months each.

Outside EVE, DAOC and WOW every single other Western MMORPG I've tried (their number is legion) were on my computer for only a month or two.

From my perspective Asian made games have delivered more of what I'm looking for in a MMORPG,  specifically territory control and denial of the same than most any western title out there.

So be careful when making sweeping statements, I know many posters here currently enjoy FFXIV, and in the past loved L2, FFXI and some others.

In fact, you misunderstand BDOs design, which is understandable considering its inconsistent delivery, but at its core it is a high end, territory control PVP game where the real cooperation of players is meant to occur. (Which it is actually very much like Lineage 1 in several ways come to think of it.)

While it's true the "masses" of western players eschewed Asian titles, they won't be flocking to the many indie re-treads currently in development, they are all too busy with their MOBAs , MinMO shooters and half finished survival games.

We don't really care what they want to play. 

;)

GdemamiConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited October 2017
    This may sound flippant but the main reason the game is online is to sell cosmetics.  Nobody is going to pay for outfits or mounts in an offline game.  But some will pay tons of money for dragon mounts in a "luxury auction" for an online game.

You can't show off your expensive cool virtual stuff in a single player game.

"In fact, you misunderstand BDOs design, which is understandable considering its inconsistent delivery, but at its core it is a high end, territory control PVP game where the real cooperation of players is meant to occur. (Which it is actually very much like Lineage 1 in several ways come to think of it.)"

This would be great if it was true, but it's not.  Group PVP is a lagfest and doesn't reward people significantly for doing it.  Unlike most of the defenders of the game that cite this as the great shining star of the game, I've actually participated in it.  It's lame as hell and about as much of a "reason" for playing the game as going to sack Ogrimmar was a "reason" to play WoW (i.e. it's something to do, but not much more than that- and worse, it has to be heavily coordinated and scheduled).
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Last poster is correct and this is the same reason as 99% of these games because they are all adding cash shops to their games.Worse is that MOST of these games have barely accomplished what EQ2 already did for the genre,most are actually offering less,so why are people paying money for games that are inferior to 10 year old games is beyond me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    This may sound flippant but the main reason the game is online is to sell cosmetics.  Nobody is going to pay for outfits or mounts in an offline game.  But some will pay tons of money for dragon mounts in a "luxury auction" for an online game.

"In fact, you misunderstand BDOs design, which is understandable considering its inconsistent delivery, but at its core it is a high end, territory control PVP game where the real cooperation of players is meant to occur. (Which it is actually very much like Lineage 1 in several ways come to think of it.)"

This would be great if it was true, but it's not.  Group PVP is a lagfest and doesn't reward people significantly for doing it.  Unlike most of the defenders of the game that cite this as the great shining star of the game, I've actually participated in it.  It's lame as hell and about as much of a "reason" for playing the game as going to sack Ogrimmar was a "reason" to play WoW (i.e. it's something to do, but not much more than that- and worse, it has to be heavily coordinated and scheduled).
    It's still true, but often what is intended fails to come to fruition on delivery.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Kyleran said:

It's still true, but often what is intended fails to come to fruition on delivery.
    Sure, but games aren't judged on what they tried to do (unless maybe it was revolutionary, and open world pvp is not a new concept- it is in fact one of the oldest).  

Plus it's well-documented that they gutted the original pvp concept.  You could say that maybe they realized it wasn't going to work well, which is probable, but that doesn't mean it's a selling point of the game.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    In terms of group content i would point at Kama pt1, there is little that can be done here solo, its all group work , yes you could babble around some mobs solo, (maushaun forest) but to carry the story line on , and complete most of the quests involves a lot of group work

Im not by any means saying this fixes some of the games inherent problems, thinking market and certain items like Memory frags etc. But it does provide solid group content, in fact the new 5 man group content to defend the towers is very taxing certainly for normal geared 59/60 groups.

You point to this being a solo game, show me any current mmo that isn't solo, yes some need group work for certain parts, but im certain, nay i did, get to max level wow as a pretty much solo player, want gear i buy it....

The fact is this game does have flaws , but its a solid 6.5-7 outta 10 and find the right guild its actually fun, i have tried many games, over many years i fact other than EvE i haven't found a game thats held my attention as much as this game since WoW pre WTOLK... And there is always a decent number players on.

I think i can probably count maybe 10 games that ive had hope for over the last 3-5 years, and still i live in hope, but for time being i'll happy potter around this game having fun, doing all the various things that this game offers.

YashaX

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    First decent thread this guy has made. BDO feels completely pointless as you afk autopath from quest to quest, progress while offline and solo 99% of the time. They might as well make it single player and toss in a battleground que. Such a far cry from the sandbox it was supposed to be.
    It's not really a "quest" game. It's a grind game. I do understand that doing the quests gets you knowledge and you get energy along the way.

Also, you don't have to "auto path" if you don't want to. While I do see the necessity to traverse the world I don't see why holding down "w" to do it (all the time) is a signal of quality.

You don't progress offline as far as leveling though part of the game's charm (if one buys into this) is creating your own little crafting/financial empire. I don't see why one needs to be there all the time and one can just set things in motion.

One can fish and not actively do it but you make a LOT more money actively doing it.

One can get groups for harder areas, and some do. Not sure why people need to be hand held to do that.

Of course, one can just do it solo if one wants.  have definitely been in areas where being in a group would have helped. However, people do seem to only want to be in the popular places.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Hefaistos said:
    IF this game is very bad why its the most played pvp mmorpg atm ? 
    It is not. Eve is. 
    Kyleran
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Celcius said:
    Hefaistos said:
    IF this game is very bad why its the most played pvp mmorpg atm ? 
    It is not. Eve is. 
    While both games also are NOT on steam. So both games could have far more than what steam shows...it does show more players playing one more than the other on Steam

http://steamcharts.com/app/8500

and

http://steamcharts.com/app/582660

and

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

(as of this post)
    Currently online:24,457
    Max (24h):37,954 (2017-10-28 19:39:00)
    Current record:65,303 (2013-05-05 19:09:04)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The answer seems blatantly obvious to me.

Cash shop.
    Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I do plenty of stuff with others. Some of us have imagination and social skills. Others post dumb shit at an attempt for attention.
    YashaXrena_ryugu

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I do plenty of stuff with others. Some of us have imagination and social skills. Others post dumb shit at an attempt for attention.

Like what :)
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Did you want an example of the dumb shit people post or the stuff he does with others?
    YashaX
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    It seems pretty much the same as most other mmos in terms or group vs solo content. Do you have any ideas for how to encourage more grouping?

I never felt pvp was a particularly strong draw card for the game either, its obviously a pve game with pvp tacked on, similarly to most other mmos.
  • rena_ryugurena_ryugu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    You have to find friends not like other mmo, open an instanced something and wait ppls "join you", the ones who find this game single player are those whit 0 social skills
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Talonsin said:

Did you want an example of the dumb shit people post or the stuff he does with others?

Euwww.... You got me with a funny, you got me :) 

If I didn't know any better, I would take this as a blow to my pride !.... Just fooling, I don't care.
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    edited October 2017
    Bdo is complex and has best graphics and action combat, and thats why its addictive. Most themepark mmos u eventually get tired of with their chore systems, such as when u done raiding, then what, zones feels like a hub. Bdo is truly a world with many activities that feels natural to do, especially the worker and node system. The siege and node wars are fun, and they keep adding more alternative progression, like enhancing your combat abilities to keep it fresh, the perm teleport map, the t9 gliding horse. And being able to war other guilds and fight them in that open world is epic.

The downside is that Bdo requires much more attention, unless u did the heavy lifting by playing for a good while and aquired silver and gear. I used to be a top player wealth wise and such ppl can just leech off castle money while gaining passive income through node n worker system. But for the vast majority that havent invested and dont know the know hows, itll be a very grindy game. Personally i pushed it too far by trying to make the best gear which is total rng, when i shouldve just saved the money. Its a gem with flaws, but at least it has a natural world with an ecosystem many other uninspiring games lack.

YashaXGdemamiAzaron_Nightblade
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Well you need players for PvP, you need players for scroll bosses and you grind much more efficient if you grind in groups.

rena_ryugu
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2017
    It seems the only attraction is pvp.  Seems like a single player experience.  Can a player do everything alone if it were offline ?

I have yet to see a topic where players are playing with anyone, all YouTubes people are alone !!

I can't prove it but MOST players don't like the PvP....... So why is this game online ? 

This is NOT at troll post, I'm totally serious.  Why the hell is this game online ? 
    PVE wise, yeah players could just play the game offline all together if just playing for PVE.

Node Wars are the biggest online part of the PVP in Black Desert, and the Beef between guilds over things like grinding spots, rotations for example, and generally just think of the game as a giant Lobby with the few added PVP features and social interaction / chat that is all it really is.

Of course the game company can afford it because they make a killing off players who spend like $150 just for a full inventory slots, mount / skill resets trying to get an epic pegasus, as well as Bank Slots and cosmetic items at like $22+ per costume imagine a player who spends upwards of $300+ on this game, its a lot of money so this I imagine is also a reason why its a multiplayer game.

I neither Love BDO, or hate it, but there is still so many improvements this game could have in many aspects such as crafting, economcis, player housing, even in the desert it really sucks not having the ability to auto path or see where you are.

^ Still Arche Age remains the better game of BDO IMO, had Trion not have been so greedy, kept breaking the game with every update I would stil lbe playing it today.

Although I hear that Ashes OF Creation is going to be like BDO somewhat but better at least that is what I am told in their discord, and many of the features BDO doesn't have Ashes will have?