Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

13»

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Guardians of Ember, I am enjoying it still 2 weeks in
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lol. Looks like TheScavanger has found his purpose in life: he wants to be mini-Narius.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Rich84PhryNilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:
    Lol. Looks like TheScavanger has found his purpose in life: he wants to be mini-Narius.
    Some people just like to see forums burn.

;)
    [Deleted User]Rich84

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DelphosDelphos Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Path of Exile isn't mmo, you can complain all you want, it wont change the fact PoE its no mmo.
    GdemamiPhry[Deleted User]
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited October 2017
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

Massively also calls it an MMO

http://massivelyop.com/tag/path-of-exile/

Official Site: Path of Exile
    Studio: Grinding Gear Games
    Launch Date: October 23, 2013
    Genre: Gothic Fantasy MMOARPG

So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    I see you've been taking lessons in Elementary Hair Splitting 101 from SeanMCad.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Robokapp said:
    Grunty said:
    I don't care what you call it or what other sites say. MMORPG.com lists it as an MMO.

So you can call it whatever you want, I'm going to keep calling Path of Exile an MMO as said by both two major MMORPG sites, Massively and MMORPG. 
    I see you've been taking lessons in Elementary Hair Splitting 101 from SeanMCad.
    The link in official website says "Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win"."
    Its good to have different opinions and discussion :) Yesterday was different since some users were actually harassing me in every thread. I still disagree with you and some others, but that is part of having opinions :) That is how civil discussions should be.
    Excession

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Robokapp said:
    Grunty said:

The link in official website says "Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win"."
    Its good to have different opinions and discussion :) Yesterday was different since some users were actually harassing me in every thread. I still disagree with you and some others, but that is part of having opinions :) That is how civil discussions should be.
    Also, the whole argument of what devs call it kinda breaks down when...

A developer can make a game with a 6 player sized group (which is what most MMOs end up anyway for dungeon group sizes). And call it an MMO.

So would the developer be wrong? or because its the developer, would he be right?

If the developer could be wrong, why can't the developer be wrong about what they call PoE or even Destiny? Ignoring your opinion of what an MMO is or is not, why would one developer not potentially be wrong but the other correct?

Either both could be wrong, or both could be right. In the end, using what a developer calls an MMO is pointless because a developer can label their MMO anyway they want. The only reason you are using that is because it fits what you perceive an MMO to be. But it works both ways, a developer can equally be wrong too.

Also, Dungeons and Dragon Online is fully instanced with small tiny hubs (like PoE) and that is widely considered an MMO. Same with Vindictus. Even the developers call DDO and Vindictus MMOs.
    Excession

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Robokapp said:
    Grunty said:

Also, the whole argument of what devs call it kinda breaks down when...

A developer can make a game with a 6 player sized group (which is what most MMOs end up anyway for dungeon group sizes). And call it an MMO.

So would the developer be wrong? or because its the developer, would he be right?

If the developer could be wrong, why can't the developer be wrong about what they call PoE or even Destiny? Ignoring your opinion of what an MMO is or is not, why would one developer not potentially be wrong but the other correct?

Either both could be wrong, or both could be right. In the end, using what a developer calls an MMO is pointless because a developer can label their MMO anyway they want. The only reason you are using that is because it fits what you perceive an MMO to be. But it works both ways, a developer can equally be wrong too.

Also, Dungeons and Dragon Online is fully instanced with small tiny hubs (like PoE) and that is widely considered an MMO. Same with Vindictus. Even the developers call DDO and Vindictus MMOs.
    Devs aren't  wrong, they intentionally mislead.

Great example with DDO, I bought that at launch expecting  MMO and instead it was more of a CORPG like GW1.

Probably the fastest game I've ever quit and one of my worst purchases.

Proper clarification is important...
    GdemamiPhry

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Nyctelios said:
    Man, you guys really don't care about what something is called, right?
    When everyone is a super hero, no one is. Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

When someone is looking for an ARPG, it should be easy for them to look up in google "ARPG" and find a list of them to play. But if people got away with needlessly redefining "ARPG" to include FPS shooters that have nothing to do with ARPGs, you can see how that poses a problem for people who just want to find an ARPG to play right?

Just like how i'm conversing with you. You can understand the words I am typing because the words that I am typing have meaning to them. It's ludicrous to just be silent as a small portion of ill-minded individuals ran rampant trying to redefine terms that do not need it. The genres have worked for many years, they will continue to work for many years, there's no need to try to twist it into something it isn't.
    GdemamiKyleran

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• zohnnyzohnny Member UncommonPosts: 45
    @TheScavenger i think what you are looking for is Drakensang Online

https://www.drakensang.com/en

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited October 2017
    zohnny said:
    @TheScavenger i think what you are looking for is a new hobby.

There, fixed it for you.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Phry[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    imo you ALL need a friggin new hobby instead of posting crap debating about pointless stuff like whether a game is considered an MMO!  Also, since no one's mentioned it, I suggest FATE as its very much like Torchlight except with an endless dungeon, or at least from what I can tell its endless? anyway.. yeah, enough with the crap about what you think is an MMO, nobody cares! At least no one that important anyway.
    ExcessionTheScavenger

imageimage

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    edited October 2017
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

Yeah, words have meaning.

That doesn't mean they have static meaning. Their meaning can evolve or broaden over time in living languages.

The broadening of the MMO term is an example of that. If the switch was just limited to a few players perhaps it could have been quashed by denial.

It has gone beyond that point.

MMO has evolved to refer to more than just MMOPRGs. Game companies... websites... even this site... use it in reference to games of other genres.

So, not only is it important to keep the meaning of words, it is also important to recognize and keep up when those meanings change or extend.
    KyleranExcessionIselinConstantineMerus
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Words have meaning. It's important they keep their meaning, otherwise how will anyone know what anyone is talking about?

That doesn't mean they have static meaning. Their meaning can evolve or broaden over time in living languages.

The broadening of the MMO term is an example of that. If the switch was just limited to a few players perhaps it could have been quashed by denial.

MMO has evolved to refer to more than just MMOPRGs. Game companies... websites... even this site... use it in reference to games of other genres.

So, not only is it important to keep the meaning of words, it is also important to recognize and keep up when those meanings change or extend.
    Most in this conversation clearly know MMO does not equal MMORPG.

But they do understand it is a modifier meaning "Massively Multiplayer" Online and is being misused when applied to titles such as POE or even DDO as I previously mentioned.

Doesn't matter to me whether MMORPG or other sites misuse it for marketing purposes, heck MTV rarely shows videos,  doesnt change the fact "music television" is nothing like the reality programming they show even if the characters happen to be playing music in the bsckground.

PhryExcessionGdemamiConstantineMerus

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:

But they do understand it is a modifier meaning "Massively Multiplayer" Online and is being misused when applied to titles such as POE or even DDO as I previously mentioned.

Doesn't matter to me whether MMORPG or other sites misuse it for marketing purposes, heck MTV rarely shows videos,  doesnt change the fact "music television" is nothing like the reality programming they show even if the characters happen to be playing music in the bsckground.

Agreed, just because some other website whatever is calling it an MMO means literally nothing, its the equivalent of saying 'i'm right because i have a note from my mother saying so' kind of argument. Those kinds of arguments are easy to counter simply because they are devoid of factual basis, which is probably why it has to be repeated so often in the hope that with enough repetition it becomes fact, of course, it never does.
    KyleranExcessionGdemami
    edited October 2017
    Phry said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Nyctelios said:

Agreed, just because some other website whatever is calling it an MMO means literally nothing, its the equivalent of saying 'i'm right because i have a note from my mother saying so' kind of argument. Those kinds of arguments are easy to counter simply because they are devoid of factual basis, which is probably why it has to be repeated so often in the hope that with enough repetition it becomes fact, of course, it never does.
    I think its more akin to saying,  "i heard it on the internet,  it has to be true."

Perhaps its time to change the meaning of the acronym MMO, Minimally Multiplayer Online is what I've been advocating for the past few years. Would fit POE perfectly. 

Or better yet, how about MinMO? Yeah, that's what I'm going with from now on.

Kyle: trendsetting in the gaming community since 1987. B)

• zamocnyzamocny Member CommonPosts: 7
    The question is why would you need another game like Path of Exile if it simply is the best at what it is :)
    You can also join some marketplaces to get the missing gear and orbs, unlike many games you can reach end-game content in several days of hardcore gaming https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile/
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Path of Exile isn't an MMO.  It's an online multiplayer[-optional] AARPG.

There are others like it.  Diablo III, for one.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

Are there any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

I know there is sorta Diablo 3, but that is more a singleplayer experience. Torchlight, but that is singleplayer as well. And Titan Quest, but that is definitely singleplayer.

Any actual MMOs though that are like PoE? Or is PoE pretty much the best there is? Is PoE pretty much the pinnacle of the top down loot based in its genre? I guess Ultima Online could sorta count, but its really different.
    Sorry, to tell you, but PoE is not an MMO. However, if you're looking for Online only Action RPG/Hack and Slash then Diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes are the two major games that are online only like PoE.

In my opinion, PoE is the pinnacle Action RPG/Hack and Slash game at the moment.
    I actually think Diablo III is more the pinnacle than PoE.  PoE just appeals to those people who wished Diablo III was Diablo 2: Remastered.

It feels like the developers of PoE put all of their energy into the Skill Tree, and Gemming System.  They forgot to put any level of depth into the content at all.  Most builds people are doing 1 shot most MOBs and consistently of pressing 1-2 buttons only.  There is no decent interaction of skills.  No setup.  The gameplay is incredibly shallow and requires 0 skill whatsoever.

Diablo III is far, far superior in that aspect.

PoE wins when it comes to content diversity, though (the mapping system), and I do still think the Skill Tree is better than the Paragon System - even though I'd probably prefer the Paragon System form a "usability" perspective.

I think it would have been better for them to setup these things more similar to the way Alternate Advancement Points are set up in EverQuest (I, not II).