Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMORPG has the best F2P model now ?

2»

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    aliven said:

Eve is no where near the titan of industry. Titans of industry are Wow, FF14, GW2 and ESO. Rest live on scraps. 
    I suppose it depends on how you define titan. I consider EVE and Runescape to be titans because they were major MMOs with sizeable audiences 10 years ago, they are major MMOs with sizeable audiences today, and they will likely be major MMOs with sizeable audiences 10 years from now.

Meanwhile saying FF14 and GW2 are titans of the industry seems like information that may already be outdated. Those games are flashes in the pan. They're the LOTROs and GW1s of tomorrow.
    tomahawk1930
  • drachennwolfdrachennwolf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Eldurian said:
    aliven said:

Eve is no where near the titan of industry. Titans of industry are Wow, FF14, GW2 and ESO. Rest live on scraps. 
    I suppose it depends on how you define titan. I consider EVE and Runescape to be titans because they were major MMOs with sizeable audiences 10 years ago, they are major MMOs with sizeable audiences today, and they will likely be major MMOs with sizeable audiences 10 years from now.

Meanwhile saying FF14 and GW2 are titans of the industry seems like information that may already be outdated. Those games are flashes in the pan. They're the LOTROs and GW1s of tomorrow.
    Disagree. GW2 has a solid franchise now, and GW1 had a very strong following. Much like Diablo, the next editions of Guild Wars will also be largely followed. 

FFXIV is a direct descendant of FFXI, which was wildly popular as well.

I think both franchises will have strong, stable futures.
    Gdemamigearchin13
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Eldurian said:
    aliven said:

They are still more popular. Same as PUBG is one of the biggest hits on steam since steam launched. I say this while i hate with passion this style of game. Just see no point in denying facts. 

Eve has devoted fan base who multibox like crazy. Game will be afloat but it is no where near popular or even a giant success. 

Runescape is crap riding on nostalgia glasses. 
    Gdemami
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    I can't use the word good or best about f2p. For least intrusive I would say gw2, but that is technically not f2p but b2p with shop. For a pure f2p mmo I recommend.. not to support them.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Rift used to have a good f2p model. Not the typical restrictions (gear, inv space etc).

Not sure about GW2. I read the base game is free, but I am not sure if its free when bought with one of the expansions.

Then there are some that are ok after your initial small purchase in their cash shop. They have this status between f2p and sub. It just needs one any purchase I believe. I think EQ2 used to do that.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    aliven said:

They are still more popular. Same as PUBG is one of the biggest hits on steam since steam launched. I say this while i hate with passion this style of game. Just see no point in denying facts. 

Eve has devoted fan base who multibox like crazy. Game will be afloat but it is no where near popular or even a giant success. 

Runescape is crap riding on nostalgia glasses. 
    The thing is the model is completely different. Games like FF14 and GW2 ride on insane amounts of marketing and creating hype. Their model basically rely on suckering people into spending as much cash as possible before they get bored with an ultimately shallow game. They make huge profits off initial box sales and then milk the dying game for what they can afterwards. Their peaks will be higher than most other games but that level of success is never sustainable for them.

WoW, EVE, and Runescape have very different models. They rely on building a committed fanbase that will be loyal for years to come and keeping that fanbase as happy as possible. Their growth is much more gradual as is their eventual decline. It means that in the longterm they have a very large market footprint and will have a lot more lasting impact/significance than whatever the latest fad MMO of the day is.

EDIT: Bringing it back to the topic at hand I feel like it's pretty obvious why games that are loyal to their audiences rather than cheap gimmicks rely on the freemium + PLEX models while games that are just marketing scams prefer buy-to-play. When you are all about big marketing campaigns and hype for things people will get bored with quickly it's better to get cash up front than ask them to continually ask them to pay 15$ a month if they want to get the most from the game.
    Gdemami
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    edited October 2017
    I am playing Tera currently and having a good time . The combat system is GREAT. One of the best id say. Rift is also good game and its pretty much like WoW (font and all) but I find the combat rather slow and the graphics a bit aged.  I recommend Tera. It also has alot of active players all over the world. Also, Tera jsut came out with a 10gb patch today that complete revamped their weapon and enchanting etc system
    Allerleirauh
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited October 2017
    Which ever game offers a sub to bypass all the f2p bullshit is the best f2p model.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Wedlen said:
    I am playing Tera currently and having a good time . The combat system is GREAT. One of the best id say. Rift is also good game and its pretty much like WoW (font and all) but I find the combat rather slow and the graphics a bit aged.  I recommend Tera. It also has alot of active players all over the world. Also, Tera jsut came out with a 10gb patch today that complete revamped their weapon and enchanting etc system

I am doing the same, my only thing so far is how retardedly easy it is.  Maybe it will eventually present a challenge but so far it is just faceroll easy.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Wedlen said:

I am doing the same, my only thing so far is how retardedly easy it is.  Maybe it will eventually present a challenge but so far it is just faceroll easy.
    Overland is always easy. Dungeons get a bit harder as you level. Raiding isn't my thing, but forum posts I've read suggest the game doesn't adequately prepare players for the increase in difficulty at that level of play.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    warframe.