Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Find Out How to Play Two SWTOR Expacks for Free & Score a Swoop Speeder Too - Star Wars: The Old Re

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFind Out How to Play Two SWTOR Expacks for Free & Score a Swoop Speeder Too - Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic News - From now through November 6th, anyone with a Star Wars: The Old Republic account can try out a pair of expansions for free through November 6th. Both Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan are free to try out by entering a special code on the SWTOR site to unlock them. This provides players the opportunity to raise a character from 1-60 for free.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'll grab it. I'll probably play it probably one day.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86
    The F2P game is unplayable no thx
    PhryGdemami
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It would be something of a stretch to say it was even 'difficult' to play, there have been numerous complaints if anything about it being 'too easy' so for it to be 'unplayable' all i can suggest is that maybe MOBA's are more you style maybe? :p
    Octagon7711tannim78MrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its always a bad idea to lock levels behind a paywall in a f2p game.
    Warlyx
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Albatroes said:

i would say it is pretty much common practis to gate content in F2P titles... Directly or indirectly.. It is how they make money.

And for what it is worth... The free part of SW:ToR is decent enough. Not stellar but decent.
    Octagon7711OzmodanMrMelGibson

This have been a good conversation

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2017
    Sweet, can never have to many speeders.  What is the current max level in that game now?
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121

Albatroes said:

SWTOR is not a F2P game... it's only a restrictive and frustrating trial.
    WarlyxOzmodan
    edited October 2017

Phry said:

It would be something of a stretch to say it was even 'difficult' to play, there have been numerous complaints if anything about it being 'too easy' so for it to be 'unplayable' all i can suggest is that maybe MOBA's are more you style maybe? :p

You have to pay for basically every feature in the game that you would get as a sub you end up paying more money just to play the basic game on top of not being able to talk in the game as f2p i was lvl 14 still couldn't talk, it's cheaper to just sub for 15 but for me the only thing they do good is story it's not worth 15 anymore. You have to rely on ppl to buy shit from the cash shop to put it on the AH to get your basic features so no it's not too easy it's down right unplayable and i've been playing mobas for 18 years that has 0 to do with my play style ty good sir, Excuse me if im not a swtor niave fan boy who doesn't see the issues in the games system. This speaks most true with latest article bout Ea only caring about monetization which explains the f2p system
    OzmodanMrMelGibson
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    what happens after 6th nov , u cant play that char anymore or what?
    We're talking about really borderline features that have you jusat like saying really... i have to pay for that.... so plz don't sit there and try to be funny acting all high n mighty when you don't know what you're talking about
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Phry said:
    I think Hello Kitty Online is more his style.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:

Phry said:

I think Hello Kitty Online is more his style.

Again, you are being a niave fan boy mad because i made a negative comment about your precious video game , grow up lol you have to pay for raiding,pvp,dungeons,crafting,every freaking feature so plz come at me with a actual logical factual comeback instead of random insults of your garden fan boy variety \o/
    edited October 2017
    We're talking about really borderline features that have you jusat like saying really... i have to pay for that.... so plz don't sit there and try to be funny acting all high n mighty when you don't know what you're talking about
    The only bad things about its model is the action bar.  You get all 8 class stories for free and a large enough cash level to buy the things you need to play.  If you just drop $20 in the cash shop, you could get the action bars, cash limit and some others things fixed.

It cracks me up that you would spend $10 for lunch each day, which satisfies you for a few hours but not drop in $20 for an MMO that you will probably play for more than 20 hours this month alone.

Some of you folks have no real perspective on money and how you spend it.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited October 2017

Talonsin said:

The only bad things about its model is the action bar.  You get all 8 class stories for free and a large enough cash level to buy the things you need to play.  If you just drop $20 in the cash shop, you could get the action bars, cash limit and some others things fixed.

It cracks me up that you would spend $10 for lunch each day, which satisfies you for a few hours but not drop in $20 for an MMO that you will probably play for more than 20 hours this month alone.

You have no idea wtfd you're talking bout dude the concept if FREE TO PLAY you dont know me so you don't know my concept or grip on $ you're just thinking of random assuming insults to make your argument look more legit when you're just fluffing to make up for your lack of logic or fact. Free to play indicates you can enjoy the entire game with out dropping a $ into it which is not the case like i just said you need to rely on ppl to buy stuff from the cash shop to put on the AH so you can buy it but i can already see you are just going to keep putting up random illogical statements but anyways i said my peace the game is a garbage f2p model thats my opinion deal with it bucko
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Albatroes said:
    I've never seen a F2p game that doesn't charge for an expansion.
    Octagon7711

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Warlyx said:
    Probably not, you'd just be locked out of those expansion area's and have to just play on the free planets.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Nebless said:
    Warlyx said:
    Probably not, you'd just be locked out of those expansion area's and have to just play on the free planets.
    But dont you need the expansions to increase level cap?

Nebless said:
    Albatroes said:
    I've never seen a F2p game that doesn't charge for an expansion.
    Thought Archeage revelation expansion was free.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Talonsin said:

You have no idea wtfd you're talking bout dude the concept if FREE TO PLAY you dont know me so you don't know my concept or grip on $ you're just thinking of random assuming insults to make your argument look more legit when you're just fluffing to make up for your lack of logic or fact. Free to play indicates you can enjoy the entire game with out dropping a $ into it which is not the case like i just said you need to rely on ppl to buy stuff from the cash shop to put on the AH so you can buy it but i can already see you are just going to keep putting up random illogical statements but anyways i said my peace the game is a garbage f2p model thats my opinion deal with it bucko

"Free to play indicates you can enjoy the entire game"...That is opinion for sure.
    MrMelGibson
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Sweet, can never have to many speeders.  What is the current max level in that game now?
    Level 70 for people with KOTET last year expac (which only requires to sub for one month to unlock access to and keep).

Level 60 for any F2P/Preferred who used the code to get Hutt Cartel and Shadow or Revan and never unlocked the post base game content.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson
  • Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about the subscription model.

If you want to say that the development on SWtOR doesn't warrant the price of a sub I can support that, but man people sure get mad when they have to actually pay for stuff.

Being able to play a large portion of the game for little to no money is a pretty nice perk. I don't have an issue with SWtOR's model at all.

If I pay for a sub I expect three things:
    1. The cash shop to not impact my gameplay.
    2. I should not be hassled by constant reminders of the cash shop
    3. If cosmetics are available in the shop i expect a stipend of cash shop currency

SWtOR hits these.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Free to play indicates you can enjoy the entire game with out dropping a $ into it which is not the case
    Name one F2P game that allows you to enjoy the entire game and all aspects without dropping a dime into it?

Your concept of F2P is deeply flawed, how would a company survive if they gave the entire game out for free?  I guess you expect them to work for free... 
    MrMelGibson

Downloading it now. Will try it 2morrow already used a refferal link. 

Also having fun with Mystic and Lancer in Tera!
    MrMelGibson

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    F2P models i do not like. B2P are ok and the older Subscription based model (NO Cash SHOP) were the best.
    Bringing in buy the game + Subscription was ok and purchasing of expansions. You knew what you had, were you where and also knew everything would be in drop files or obtained within the game.
    F2P - (some used to be as above buy it and also subscription) but once they dropped those they effectively screwed all the players who played before with the cash shop usage. This KILLED SWTOR for me and the 2 guilds i was in. I stopped playing and havent even looked back since.
    This is just a sham - come look you get not 1 but 2 XPacks for free (for a limited time only) so i presume you would have to purchase those to play your character once the offer goes... thx but erm no thx.

Best ones right now that are F2P/B2P - Secret World Legends (you dont have to sink anything into the game apart from time, but that covers 100% of the games anyways). ESO - B2P and purchase the expansion packs if you wanted to. thats it. There is item shop but purly cosmetic. 
    Then there is..... oh wait, i think i ran out of others to mention that are B2P/F2P. I would have said Archage but that games maybe free to download but you are required to subscribe (monthly basis) and then use the cash shop for certain features weekly. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Due to the currency cap, a subscription is required to play this game properly. That's pretty much all anyone needs to know when considering this game.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.