Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Different grades of equipment/ship module quality

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
Equipment quality (especially ship modules) in Star Citizen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16193-The-Shipyard-Other-Ship-Items

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Item Grades

Every swappable item in the game is assigned a grade for ease of comparison, this should be your first port of call when deciding what items to buy and swap out as it gives you a simple scale to compare against. Additional details about the individual nature of an item with be visible in the purchase screen of any vendor, but for a place to start, we provide a simple letter grade.

Different grades have different values to the items:

A = The best possible performance, usually has an additinal Sub Item slot.

B = A good upgrade to performance, may have an additional Sub item slot.

C = The standard item for most ships be default, average performance.

D = Lower grade, generally makes up the NPC/AI populace, good for emergency use to get through troubles.

Most ships come standard with default C grade components. SOme of the more exotic or specialized ships may come with Grade B equipment in default loadouts, which can often be seen reflected in their price. Of course, the reverse can also hold true where cheaper ships may come with D grade components by default. They’ll still work fine and get you where you wanna go, but you’ll want to consider upgrading them after a while.

Item Classifications

In a future 3.x patch we plan to assign every ship and every item a component class. This means players will only be able to put an item of that class into a ship that can utilize it.

Military – The best overall at that item’s functionality, at the expense of emissions and cost.

Civilian – The most common, wide range of behaviours to suit cost, options to approximate all other categories but not as specific.

Stealth – Vastly reduced signatures/consumption at the expense of functionality.

Industrial – Reliably high output and low wear, high emissions.

Competition – Higher performing than military but at the expense of durability and stealth, performance over everything.

At present, no ship is restricted to a single class of item, with each having at least two classes and virtually all of them featuring Civilian as an option. While this system is still in development, the idea at it’s core is to prevent players from making certain ships too powerful within respective areas. We still want there to be an enormous amount of customization available, but this system we’re still developing would do things like limit the chances of finding a Military Spec 85X or a Stealth Herald simply due to people buying the best items of that type.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I venture a guess here that running missions for the military and increasing rep there may grant access to Grade A military hardware, da best of da best ....

Have fun

WalkinGlennBabuinix

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Different grades of equipment in an MMORPG? Say it ain't so...

CIG just need to call it StarInventory or something equally cheesy and then they can make out it's never been done before. Woot!

:'(
    ScotchUpOdeezee
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited October 2017
    Different grades of equipment in an MMORPG? Say it ain't so...
    In my experience most games - not only MMOs - have various equipment grades. And equipment upgrades (swords with gem slots or things like that). Not to mention that all of this comes from real life ... there are maybe 500 different ways to mod your car, from chip-tuning to "nitro"-injection.

You are familiar with Elite:Dangerous. This has a complex equipment system with a variety of grades and sizes, especially with the added layer since the "Engineers" expansion. There they added modifications and completely new equipment.

A lot of "Bothans" have died ;-)   to get a certain  schematic  from my "Engineer" of choice in Elite:Dangerous. And i suspect the same will happen in SC.

Have fun
    Post edited by Erillion on
    Orinori
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    "Additional details about the individual nature of an item with be visible in the purchase screen of any vendor, but for a place to start, we provide a simple letter grade."

Hoping this makes the system a little interesting. Would perhaps be nice if an item grade B could be better than a grade A at a certain function at the expense of another / or primary function.

"but this system we’re still developing would do things like limit the chances of finding a Military Spec 85X or a Stealth Herald simply due to people buying the best items of that type"

I wonder if this means that you will still be able to tweak components? maybe even doing it illegally and using or selling on black market? Is there much info in this area yet as I seem to remember something about stuff like this?
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    He who has the money has more slots!
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    I suspect it is more "He who grinds reputation  most has more slots."

Otherwise certain merchants/quartermasters will not even talk to you, let alone sell you high end parts.

Have fun
    MaxBacon
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    Now it's giving the process of that progression of the ships themselves, the upgrading and the fact default insurances (including LTI) do not cover them will be interesting to see how far the customization and upgrading of your ship can take you, and the "builds" you can probably make with it.

For quite some time I been saying this, I always saw their direction as owning the ship being the "start" and not where the metagaming will be.
    Performance tuning -

"We know you’ll want to push your ship to the limit (or maybe just baaaarely past it) so we are including systems to let you try. Parts are manufactured within tolerances, and while every part that rolls off the line will function precisely to its rated value, its true capability can be discovered by players willing to risk the consequences of failure. Pushing hardware past its rated specifications can have disastrous results though, and even successfully tuned parts will likely be more power hungry and generate a larger signature!"

that's what I was talking about
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Orinori said:
    Performance tuning -

"We know you’ll want to push your ship to the limit (or maybe just baaaarely past it) so we are including systems to let you try. Parts are manufactured within tolerances, and while every part that rolls off the line will function precisely to its rated value, its true capability can be discovered by players willing to risk the consequences of failure. Pushing hardware past its rated specifications can have disastrous results though, and even successfully tuned parts will likely be more power hungry and generate a larger signature!"

that's what I was talking about
    In EVE they call this module overheating,  this seems similar but with a random failure element added on.

Damage to modules from it can be repaired in space with the proper skills and paste, or in station for a fee or free if your corp owns it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2017
    haha I like this one: 

"The Hull-E, who's engine output closely resembles a thermonuclear bomb, is never going to be "stealthy". 

I think a good idea to not let ships use all classes of components, this forces you to consider the type of ship you got in the way you play, with the components heavily defining the signature that allows for stealth or makes you an elephant flying through space.
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    Elsabolts said:

Otherwise certain merchants/quartermasters will not even talk to you, let alone sell you high end parts.

Have fun
    You really think they will make people "grind" rep or will they more likely let people willing to do so sell the faction mods to others a la EVE? (Or even as drops from high end PVE or looting from other players again as in EVE.)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Erillion said:
    Elsabolts said:

Have fun

New cash shop item "Increase reputation gains by 2x for the next hour" Cash = $8 or UEC = 10,000 :)

---

One of the things I like about Elite is that you can use any ship for any task, it might not optimal but it's possible, in other words the ship does not wholly define the type of gameplay you engage in.
    Will this modulisation allow for similar versatility in SC or will the base ship have more of a say in what role it can play?

edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
    You really think they will make people "grind" rep or will they more likely let people willing to do so sell the faction mods to others a la EVE? (Or even as drops from high end PCS or looting from other players again as in EVE.)
    Player trading is at all not confirmed in SC so that's a large unknown that will be heavily defined by what they decide for the economy front once it gets to it.

Will this modulisation allow for similar versatility in SC or will the base ship have more of a say in what role it can play?
    Well just check the post about the Hull-E, versatility to some extent, yes, but it is logical that in a ship like the big Hulls you aren't going to turn it into one stealth ship, that's why they're not allowing a ship to use all classes of components.

BUT you can still take a stealth build on such Hull, it just won't perform as good as they would in ships specialized in stealth.
    edited October 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Now it's giving the process of that progression of the ships themselves, the upgrading and the fact default insurances (including LTI) do not cover them will be interesting to see how far the customization and upgrading of your ship can take you, and the "builds" you can probably make with it.

For quite some time I been saying this, I always saw their direction as owning the ship being the "start" and not where the metagaming will be.
    Once again, very much like the EVE model where hulls are relatively cheap and easy to insure except for the really high cost pirate faction ones where insurance is of limited value. 

As modules can range from good effectiveness for cheap, to better effectiveness for some additional cost and power / CPU usage (which presents fitting and skill challenges) to rare officer and faction modules which provide for good effectiveness with lower fitting requirements but can be stupid expensive modules are often chosen based on the likelihood of a player losing them. (And the size of their wallet of course)

In EVE the fittings can vastly outstrip the hull cost and are the true prize in both PVP and PVE. 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Does anyone besides me think that this is heading to pay to win area ?
    Turrican187
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Kyleran said:
    Once again, very much like the EVE model where hulls are relatively cheap and easy to insure except for the really high cost pirate faction ones where insurance is of limited value. 

As modules can range from good effectiveness for cheap, to better effectiveness for some additional cost and power / CPU usage (which presents fitting and skill challenges) to rare officer and faction modules which provide for good effectiveness with lower fitting requirements but can be stupid expensive modules are often chosen based on the likelihood of a player losing them. (And the size of their wallet of course)

In EVE the fittings can vastly outstrip the hull cost and are the true prize in both PVP and PVE. 
    That is the point, getting the ship and insure the hull should be decently affordable, it's when you start to upgrade and customize to create your own "build" that things will start cost you.

Indeed I wouldn't be impressed if the costs of the fittings in SC as EvE could cost more than the base ship itself, in the late game at least.
    edited October 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Well just check the post about the Hull-E, versatility to some extent, yes, but it is logical that in a ship like the big Hulls you aren't going to turn it into one stealth ship, that's why they're not allowing a ship to use all classes of components.

BUT you can still take a stealth build on such Hull, it just won't perform as good as they would in ships specialized in stealth.

A stealth Hull E is a particularly silly example which is why I was asking more information... I'm thinking more along the lines of an exploring Herald or a salvaging Cutlass etc not painting a feight train in camo colours and calling it "stealthy" :)

Anyway, some good discussion about modulisation here https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/78j17f/in_defense_of_stealth_heralds/

edited October 2017
    MaxBacon said:

A stealth Hull E is a particularly silly example which is why I was asking more information... I'm thinking more along the lines of an exploring Herald or a salvaging Cutlass etc not painting a feight train in camo colours and calling it "stealthy" :)

Anyway, some good discussion about modulisation here https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/78j17f/in_defense_of_stealth_heralds/

An odd thread link, somehow "but this system we’re still developing would do things like limit the chances of finding a Military Spec 85X or a Stealth Herald".....'limit the chances of' magically meant NOT POSSIBLE, without anyone explaining how or why this magical transformation occurred!

Star citizen has been pushing for pretty tight roles per ship for a long time btw, I don't think the slides will take the ship far away from it's intended role but instead try to allow more tweaks towards preferred playstyle within the intended role.

edit: As for the salvaging cutlass example, I think beyond reclaiming components and storing them on your ship, you need to actually cut up the pieces of the ship you are trying to salvage and store them on your own ship in a very physical way, not just press some auto store button, so in theory you could get some small parts and store them on the cutlass but you probably wouldn't be getting a huge amount for those bits compared to what a salvage ship would be able to store.

As for an exploring Herald you would have to ask what makes up the core parts of a good exploration ship? Large fuel tanks? long range quantum drive capability? Storage capacity? access to smaller scout vehicles for small areas and planets? Scanners?

While the Herald might be able to do some exploring it is bound to have limitations to being an all signing all dancing explorer. 
    Post edited by Orinori on

Stealth in SC is pretty much your emissions, the lower they are the higher the stealth factor becomes, but like just said also this would fall on the ship keeps its main focus but you can do changes to adapt it to your playstyle.

But I do agree that the ship you are flying should be the biggest factor to how are you going to play, I think they are enforcing the item classes because if they don't there's one colossus number of factors in build combinations per ship that would lead to a balance nightmare.
    >>>
    As for an exploring Herald you would have to ask what makes up the core parts of a good exploration ship? Large fuel tanks? long range quantum drive capability? Storage capacity? access to smaller scout vehicles for small areas and planets? Scanners?
    >>>

Scanners, scanners, computers and .....

some more scanners.

First you have to find a jump point (and survive navigating it) before you can even THINK about exploring something new.

I expect also a game mechanic like scanning for anomalies in EVE Online. You can find them in explored systems too, but they only exist for a limited amount of time. Great for salvaging or small scale mining, but not quite the same as finding a completely new system.

Have fun

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Kyleran said:

Damage to modules from it can be repaired in space with the proper skills and paste, or in station for a fee or free if your corp owns it.

Or park alongside a non-hostile citadel in space, it it will fix you up for free. The penalty for overheating was much deminished with the Citadels expansion.
    hfztt said:
    Kyleran said:

Or park alongside a non-hostile citadel in space, it it will fix you up for free. The penalty for overheating was much deminished with the Citadels expansion.
    @EVE Online --> Overheating and ... lets not forget .. combat drugs !

Guess what some people in SC will use their Endeavor class science ship hydroponic decks for ;-)

Hidden drug labs in pirate controlled systems will flood the black markets with performance enhancing drugs .....

Have fun

PS:

Come to think of it ... Due to the "Death of a Spaceman" mechanic in SC ... after the third or fourth near death we will have cybernetic replacements. Can we go full Cyberpunk and not only modify our ships but also our captains ? Adrenaline glands, hidden cyberweapons in synthetic limbs, magboot feet, logic calculation sub-units in our brains .... you name it. Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 give you enough ideas for enhancements.