Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it to get in as a newcomer now?

MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
I have only tried a EQ2-trial years ago, and wondered if it's worth coming in as someone who really havent played it?

Thing is, I really miss a classic type MMORPG. Been playing some ESO, and while fun, I really miss the oldschool type of gameplay, like World of Warcraft with lots of keybinds and so on.

There has come some new time locked servers, should I go there as a newcomer, or should I play on the original servers? Is there enough content for free players, or is it pay 2 win/subscribtion heavy?

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Well, EQ2 is not P2W for a start, but it has several restrictions for F2P Players, like AH, Chat, Inventory and high level gear restriction.
    All of this is unlocked by Subscribing, which I strongly recommend.

It is not worth starting on old servers, I suggest playing on new Progressive Servers.

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    edited July 2017
    I'd recommend the progression servers if you intend to play the content as it was intended... One catch though, still uses the new stat and gear systems not the ones available at the release of each expansion. This makes a lot of classes either gimped or overpowered until their time to shine comes about down the line.

Also, timed locked progression requires a subscription.

For a complete experience I would play live and progression. Time locked eventually resets and you have to start anew (but so does everyone else.)
  • BigBrawlerBigBrawler Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited August 2017
    If you want to learn about EverQuest II, I can level a toon alongside you. I am a level 100 Templar. I really enjoy teaching new players. 

The community is awesome on EQ and EQ2.

Hit me up on Skyfire. I am a High Elf named Oath.
    Tiloru2014
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I loved eq2 at its time, id recommend it to anyone that was going to start from scratch. I just wish everyone had a fun group like I did while playing. Ive been tempted to jump back in but I'm so lost now I would have to start over. I thought the dungeons were well done, don't miss out on them especially in the sky zones and in the desert expansion (forget the names now).
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited August 2017
    Right now alot of people are having download issues and Daybreak can't seem to fix it. So i would stay away from the game right now. It all started with last Thursdays patch and now alot of players can't get the download to work so can't play. And its not just with EQ2 its all of their online games.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Hariken said:
    Right now alot of people are having download issues and Daybreak can't seem to fix it. So i would stay away from the game right now. It all started with last Thursdays patch and now alot of players can't get the download to work so can't play. And its not just with EQ2 its all of their online games.
    Wasn't the running joke with Daybreak "Daybreak: Where games go to die..."?
    Hachlath
  • IamkriilIamkriil Member CommonPosts: 2
    I used to play EQ2 back when it came out and quit after a couple of years.  Would coming back to play just be a huge level grind to get to the content where most of the players are?  How many progression servers are there?  Do they create new ones a lot?
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    What is the current state of the progression server? I play occasionally on the EQ TLP servers and LOVE them. Are there any that are newer and still fresh? Also, I played EQ2 back in the day but not extensively, how is group content? Is there a dungeon finder type setup at all, or do I need to research where to go to get groups?

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I think it would be a good time to start the game if your looking for a little old school.  Just find a decent sized guild that likes to play together.  That shouldn't be too hard to do.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think guild so much as find yourself a few friends would be better to all start at the same time.Using the henchmen or whatever they are called would give 3 players a team of 6 and the henchmen are decently powerful,especially the rogue one.

I could never figure out the secret ones that i guess are even more powerful.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.