Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or BDO ?

davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
i like both PVP/PVE  idc for story

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    davc123 said:
    Do you enjoy fishing and crafting?  Because if you don't, BDO probably isn't for you.  Crafting and node management seems to be a big selling point.  Also PVP I guess.  PVE is pretty dismal so if that's really important to you, you probably should go with GW2.  Then again, you can try GW2 for free so why not find out for yourself?
  • davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    edited September 2017
    davc123 said:
    Do you enjoy fishing and crafting?  Because if you don't, BDO probably isn't for you.  Crafting and node management seems to be a big selling point.  Also PVP I guess.  PVE is pretty dismal so if that's really important to you, you probably should go with GW2.  Then again, you can try GW2 for free so why not find out for yourself?
    Fishing / Crafting  yes why not i like all endgame  thing  only hate leveling/questing :D also never care for story can be also any another game with nice PVP/PVE endgame but must be F2P or BP2

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    davc123 said:
    hmmm, I do have to say that, though I find fishing relaxing, I don't do much of crafting. I mostly explore the world (did a desert explore today) and a bit of pvp here and there.

If one can make their own fun I strongly encourage Black Desert.

Guild Wars 2 is a fine game but I just can't get into it and always end up uninstalling after an hour or two.
    MrMelGibsonAzaron_Nightbladelaxie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BreakingeBreakinge Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I played GW2 for quite some time and have a lot of hours in my Mesmer, but after I decided to get back to it and saw how much I have to do to get even close to my Mesmer with a alt I couldn't continue. There is something in that game that just can't hold me more than maybe 1-2 days and then I uninstall. 

On the other hand, BDO is just amazing, the combat, the visuals, everything, and then I've reached the "higher levels" (57) and there is so much s*** to do that I casually over the span of few days started losing interest, mostly cause when I login and start playing I feel that I am missing on so much cause I have no idea how to do something or if I should do it. 

I just think that when a game forces you to use tons of external sites to learn what to do is just bad game design.  A combination of GW2 PVE and BDO's combat woud be amazing. 

As some already said, try both and see what you like, I suspect GW2 has a bit raised in popularity due to the new expansion? 

Oh and on a side note, BDO is really cash shop heavy, so if you want to play "decent" you will shell around 60 euros (for the pets and whatnot) 
    JDis25
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Sovrath said:
    davc123 said:
    hmmm, I do have to say that, though I find fishing relaxing, I don't do much of crafting. I mostly explore the world (did a desert explore today) and a bit of pvp here and there.

If one can make their own fun I strongly encourage Black Desert.

Guild Wars 2 is a fine game but I just can't get into it and always end up uninstalling after an hour or two.
    That's fair, everyone's mileage will vary.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited September 2017
    ESO

GW2 I've tried it over the years, no improvements to reflect Bosses on the map, nor any autual player housing ESO seems to be the most updated, has housing, and bosses listed on world map like GW2 should have but doesn't.

Housing still needs to be improved on ESO though.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Well, since you said you hate questing and leveling...ESO is out right away. ESO is all about questing, though "levels" don't really matter that much since you scale to the world zone's level. Tons of quests though.

BDO is my current choice. People complain about the cash shop in BDO, but you can get some/a lot of it off the market. But wow do you get tons of freebies every day for playing BDO (have to be on though, like 5 hours for some events to get all the event items). And nothing on the cash shop is that needed, guess people say pets are...but I do fine without them lol.

BDO is only good if you play casually though or don't plan to be the top person in the game. If you play just to have fun and enjoy the game, its vastly better. I don't worry about RNG, and just buy equipment right off the marketplace. You can also freely ignore most quests (there is some you need to do to progress the game, but mostly can ignore them) and just grind to your hearts content. Its rare for an MMO these days just to have pure grinding, and I like that about BDO.

If you want to be the top dog in the game...well...you'll almost certainly quit long before that rofl. BDO is RNG that can screw you over so easily.

Lots of other stuff to do in BDO as mentioned...crafting/fishing/exploring/house decorating etc. Though after level 49 (which requires a quest to pass 49), you are free to be targetted by PvPers. But if you don't flag back, you just die and its inconvenient. maybe I'm missing something or didn't notice, but I didn't lose exp or items or anything just had to run back lol.

I don't really do PvP, and BDO PvP is a non issue for me and that is a lot coming from me. Maybe I missed something though when I died by a player, cause I didn't lose anything but time to run back (or find a new place). Dunno, thought it be way worse from how many people complained about it lol. I barely get killed too, most people just run by me...really only been killed once.

As for GW2. You get very little for free when you login compared to BDO. But there are no quests at all, just events and meta events....though with saying that...there is sorta a major quest chain (one)...the major focus of the game is the living story and you'd be missing a ton without doing it since they focus so much on the living story. You also need to do the story to get into HoT I believe. Probably same with the new expansion area.

BDO also gets free expansions (at least thus far, they haven't said anything about paid expansions), GW2 you pay for expansions.

BDO and GW2 cash shop are pretty equal, BDO probably quite a bit more expensive if you want outfits/costumes and stuff to customize your character. Outfits are 30 US dollars. BDO I guess people say pets are required, but not having one you won't notice like I do lol. Honestly, the outfits in BDO are fine for me since literally how else are they gonna make money without a monthly fee. I don't have any issues with GW2 cash shop either, nothing pay to win in either of them.

However. I also personally liked GW1 way better than GW2...in GW1 you had so many character builds it was near endless if you made up your own build and didn't follow meta. I kinda liked the gameplay of GW1 a lot better too surprisingly.

The thing is, and it may not effect you if you played...for some reason they completely changed the leveling process in GW2. Like you "unlock" talents and stuff far slower than before, and it feels far more boring to level in GW2 than it did at release. They actually heavily nerfed the leveling experience from release...first MMO to ever do that rofl. 

BDO you have to level, and past 50 it slows down a lot, past 56 it slows down to molasses...lots and lots of grinding...so it'll probably get boring even for me. but grinding is fun thus far, combat is fine and a lot of other stuff to do. And you progress 1-50 very fast, and 50-56 pretty fast. The game is more about getting better equipment past 56 than it is levels.
    YashaX

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Guess that got a bit long lol. But hopefully its good info for you : P

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    @TheScavenger things have changed a bit with the exp requirements for certain levels being lowered again a few patches ago (and exp for Mediah mobs raised). 57 and 58 aren't too bad either these days.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    davc123 said:
    Fishing / Crafting  yes why not i like all endgame  thing  only hate leveling/questing :D also never care for story can be also any another game with nice PVP/PVE endgame but must be F2P or BP2
    GW2 then (or possibly ESO). While BDO have good crafting it is like Mel said, it isn't much of a PvE game, not it's selling point.

Since GW2s base game is free give it a spin (and if you buy an expansion you get a max level boost but I recommend playing each class a little before using that, they play rather differently and I don't think I know anyone loving all of them.

The downside of GW2 is if you constantly want new gear. There are rarities, white, blue, green, gold, orange, red and purple but up to orange is incredible easy to get. Ascended (red) is harder and usually involves crafting it which take some time and mats(but it can be looted if you are lucky). Legendary (purple) is incredible grindy and takes hard work to get.

It is way better now then when the game released (the ascended gear and legendary armor gives you a lot more to work for after they added it)but getting legendary armor takes a lot of raiding while the weapons takes a lot of patience, a bit PvP and 100% exploration of the base game.

It is not like Wow with all it's tiered raid gear and the advantage of legendary gear is not huge even if it looks really cool and have effects.
  • StrikeboyStrikeboy Member CommonPosts: 28
    Both games are good, they have their own beauty and style. I already played both and i pref BDO. Why?, because i'm into action games that's why
  • axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Long term PvP and in depth crafting with workers/crate trading, high skill cap for certain classes(mage wizard is brain dead easy) bdo. GW2 is a world of warcraft but action based, no thanks(yes,I played it, quite a lot).

asdasdasd

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Enjoying tera atm. With new EU server. 

If you havent played both I would go bdo.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I would have to go with BDO, it has more varied PVE type of gameplay, it doesn't revolve entirely around combat and levelling up, though increasing skill levels is a thing, i particularly enjoy trading in the game, something you can do pretty much from level 8 as that is what level you need to get to in order to begin trading using a wagon, and if you are low level, and by low level i mean under level 50, then you don't need to worry about being attacked by anyone, at that point it is still a heavily PVE game, though i have to say Wizard combat is really good, and after awakening it is even better ;)
    YashaX
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Loke666 said:
    davc123 said:
    GW2 then (or possibly ESO). While BDO have good crafting it is like Mel said, it isn't much of a PvE game, not it's selling point.
    Its interesting how people define or think about pve. For me BDO is primarily a pve game, but the pve is more focused on exploration, grinding, crafting, and a trading/empire building system. It has some nominal questing, but that often revolves around the core crafting/trading/knowledge systems.

• cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    guild wars 2 feels less grindy but black desert graphics and pvp is far more entertaining for me.

so im going to suggest you black desert :3
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    edited October 2017
    Having played both fairly extensively, it seems like GW2 would fit the bill for you.  BDO to me was a decent game but the pve aspect of GW2 made it far more appealing to me.  BDO to me was more of a crafting and exploration experience.  GW2 was more of a fighting and what I wanted from a game.  BDO was also way too grindy for my liking. 
  • HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    edited November 2017
    Black Desert no doubt. The games combat is easily the best action combat in any game ever. Just tryout ninja and see for yourself, or if you like spellcaster feel the joy of the ever warping wizard.

Both games tho, feature easy mobs all over the world so if that's not your thing you could play dark souls 3 instead :pensive:

Vanilla black desert is enjoyable and sandbox, but as soon as the xpacs start to roll you have more playstyles and even more classes. Aside from dark age of camelot I have never tried a game with so many classes at launch, cool thing.

The character costumization in BDO is really something. You can create any face you like, I bet you can even make your own face with the character creator.

GW2 on the other hand with it's very weak combat system, features some more common things known to older mmorpgs, though the questing system in GW2 is alot better than BDO's.

BDO more sandboxy and gw2 more like traditional, with incredible simple combat system even a 4 year old can pwn noobs with.

All in all try them both. Gw2 is free and BDO costs 10 dollars/euro to get you started, So.. What are you waiting for ? The world of Azeroth will miss you.
  • AlteiirAlteiir Member UncommonPosts: 33
    If you have all the time in the world then BDO might be a good choice. The combat is great, fast paced, and fluid. I just couldn't keep up with the gear/level grind that it takes to stay relevant. 

GW2 is my favorite MMO. I don't much care about the story in it, but the PVE content is excellent. The first character I made I leveled through the PVE story. You don't have to level through the PVE story if you don't want to. You can do the PVP and WVW as well. It gives you choices on how to progress your character. 

Someone mentioned gear. I think its important to note that I've played the game since its launch and for about 4 years I didn't have ascended gear, which contains the highest stats and its only 5% better than exotic gear. The other part of the gear in GW2 is that if you go away for a year and have exotic gear. The item level stays the same and the gear is just as relevant as the day you stopped playing. 

If there's no gear progression, how do you stay interested? I go back and forth with this questions. I like to play around with different builds or make tweaks to my better/harder hitting builds to min/max things. I personally find the WvW to be an unrivaled PVP feature. ESO kind of has a WVW, but its bad (imo) compared to GW2.

I hope this helps. I liked BDO, but I don't have time to invest into it or money to spend on getting new alts costumes to level up more efficiently. 
  • SkrankenSkranken Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited November 2017
    Only you yourself will know what you like most. Watch videos on youtube and make your own decision. All info you give us is that you like pve and pvp... Its like asking "Should I order pepperoni or meatball pizza?.. I do like meat and cheese."
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    If you don't care for story, then you don't care for one of the high points of GW2.

That leaves BDO that focus more on the economy/crafting and PvP side of things.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited November 2017
    Iv played both and they are totally different MMO experiences. Ill try to keep this brief and to the point. Both are fantastic btw...

Guildwars 2 : Theme Park open world World of Warcraft Style. Game is based around exploring , excellent leveling experience if you are the type who enjoys leveling. End game is where this differs from wow, Not really based around that constant gear treadmill. Personally i feel like the game loses steam at endgame.

BDO: Sandbox do what you want type of game. Very steep learning curve, you will have to put time into google researching how everything works. Gorgeous visuals & the game has a very mature feel to it. Unlike GW2 i feel like the endgame in BDO has more substance to it, although you will need quite alot of free time.

Its a pretty simple choice are you looking for a Sandbox or a themepark ? 
    • Aloha Mr Hand !