Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All you MMO newbs were warned about F2P. Yet you supported it.

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited October 2017
    Wizardry said:
    Looks like Farmville may have been what inspired Smedley,as he started up the cash shops the very next year.Guess who else comes from Farmville,not telling,people should pay attention.

Habbo hotel goes way back and makes me sick to think people would actually spend money on such trivial things,but then i see people paying for a new Avatar picture in Hearthstone.Even the very crooked Hunted Cow studios did at least allow players to upload their own picture/Avatar.So Blizzard managed to one up a very crooked operation,where does that put Blizzard in the scheme of fair business practices?

Naturally and maybe the first,MTG,i am sure everyone knows how tcg's literally steal hundreds...thousands of dollars from their customers and the new wave is selling something you cannot touch>>VIRTUAL items lmao.Imagine that selling basically NOTHING,you NEVER own these virtual items,they are always the property of the developer,funny how that works,they sell you something but your not really buying it,only leasing it.

httpstse3mmbingnetthidOIPsc4TsWkelQ7qwWtmXfHw0gEsDtpid151P0w217h172

You just gotta know the right people.

But seriously, ya know, I guess, well,
    at least you don't have to flush anything down the toilet.

Once upon a time....

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Something everyone is overlooking here... The companies that produce games will make marketing and sales decisions no matter what anyone's opinion of the matter is. We could cry or support all we want, it never has, nor will make a difference. 

Warning, or no warning, it was an inevitable market decision that could not have been prevented. 
    Panther2103BruceYee
  • viddiotviddiot Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Practice restraint, and avoid games that want to rape your wallet. That is key. 
    JeffSpicoli
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    viddiot said:
    The women is the true raper of a man's wallet. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    viddiot said:
    WOW
    MadFrenchie

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    viddiot said:
    Stop going to all those strip clubs and bordellos then.

KyleranDakeruMadFrenchiePhryshalissar
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    F2P does wonders for mediocre MMO's. Hence why no one cared about Black Desert until recently.
    Kyleran
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    chukekle1 said:
    BooHoo, cry me a river. F2P is going no were and you can cry about it all you want, F2P is the present and the future of MMOs, enjoy

BruceYeeCecropia
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I just want to add some free to plays are done really well like War Thunder and Fishing Planet, two of my favorite games that are more than fair when it comes cash shop. Others not so much though
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Tiller said:
    viddiot said:
    Stop going to all those strip clubs and bordellos then.

A wife is still more expensive, especially if she gives you kids !
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Never supported it, yet sadly as many sub MMO's failed to sustain the sub and went F2P, it was clear they would follow the path that ensures the best profitability, that was as we know, F2P.

The gamers felt on supporting F2P due the free nature to download and play and that became a standard. It's also what makes mobile games so freaking profitable.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    viddiot said:

shalissar
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Phry said:
    ciely said:
    meanwhile there are p2p games with p2w cash shops, p2w isn't a exclusive to f2p games.
    And there are B2P games that have p2w cash shops that make some F2P cash shops look positively benevolent.
    The problem is that the cash shops with P2W features has become more acceptable, but no matter how much we blame the publishers/developers the real culprits are those who buy such items in the first place, its just supply meeting demand, so no matter how egregious such things become, the only way it is going to stop, is when people stop giving them money to encourage it.
    In korea, pay2win is widely accepted there, pretty much every mmo that comes from that part of the world is pretty much guarnteed to be pay2win. The problem is the west hates that because they feel fair competition is the way to go. Sadly as account numbers show pay2win games make the money as there are always the idiots who feel they need to be #1 in some random crappy mmorpg no one cares about. The ones who will spend thousands a month to do it. Some mobile games go about this in a really shady way.  Second income from the newest server slows down they open a new one, because they know these big spenders have like some NEED to be #1 so alot of them will move to the new server and spend thousands again to be #1, I think the term is called rolling servers or something, its very rampant in korean mmo/mobile games.. mostly the mobile ones.

If your into mobile games, know this: every single one is pay2win usually pretty badly, this is because the ones that are more fair to free players end up closing. In generally I notice if the game has any sort of "units/characters" with rarity levels, its going to be pretty pay2win and not only in getting the char you want.
    PhryGdemami

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    DjDriVer said:
    Consider this if you will...an example being WoW.  You pat $19 for World of Warcraft, then spend $15/month say for 4 yrs. Let's not forget the expansion every 2 yrs, which usually costs $50.  BAMM! you have just paid $820.00 for a game. go on, drive on down to Walmart and fork out $820.00 for a game, the wife will divorce you, not to mention having to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy the game at that price.  F2p may try to gank you with an item mall, but that is by choice.
    You think its by choice, but in alot of these games if you wanna really enjoy it your going to have to spend probally 50-100 a month minimum for some of them. No f2p game is actually free, its more free to try, then pay out the ass if you wanna enjoy/compete in it. You especally feel this in the mobile game market, alot of them give you a ton of stuff at the start thats normally cash shop, they do this to hook you, once your hooked that stuff gets cut off at a certan point and alot of people that got used to how it was end up tossing money at it. Its actually kinda smart in a way, its like giving a kid a toy then suddendly taking it away until they do something you want them to do, sadly it works even on adults, you just need to change the toy.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    viddiot said:
    It would be grammatically correct to way 'woman' not 'women'. This indicates to me English may not be your first language.

I ask you to use Google Translate before posting in the future, but I don't think they have a Cro-Magnon to English option yet.
    Allerleirauh

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Siveria said:
    DjDriVer said:
    Consider this if you will...an example being WoW.  You pat $19 for World of Warcraft, then spend $15/month say for 4 yrs. Let's not forget the expansion every 2 yrs, which usually costs $50.  BAMM! you have just paid $820.00 for a game. go on, drive on down to Walmart and fork out $820.00 for a game, the wife will divorce you, not to mention having to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy the game at that price.  F2p may try to gank you with an item mall, but that is by choice.
    You think its by choice, but in alot of these games if you wanna really enjoy it your going to have to spend probally 50-100 a month minimum for some of them. No f2p game is actually free, its more free to try, then pay out the ass if you wanna enjoy/compete in it. You especally feel this in the mobile game market, alot of them give you a ton of stuff at the start thats normally cash shop, they do this to hook you, once your hooked that stuff gets cut off at a certan point and alot of people that got used to how it was end up tossing money at it. Its actually kinda smart in a way, its like giving a kid a toy then suddendly taking it away until they do something you want them to do, sadly it works even on adults, you just need to change the toy.
    I know many of you claim f2p isn't free, but i am here to tell you that you can play every single one of them for free......Just because you cant doesnt mean everyone cant.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SEANMCAD said:
    viddiot said:
    WOW
    Lol this response = classic!

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    It's almost as if companies are out to make money and realize they can do it by exploiting addictive behavior.  *Feigned Shock*
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    DjDriVer said:
    This is an incredibly bad explanation.

4 years of being entertained for thousands of hours for only $820 is a steal.

You pay $40 just to see a movie that lasts measly a hour and half.

I can pay my $20 for a game and get 8 hours of entertainment in the first day, and then 20+ hours of entertainment for $15 for the rest of the month.

Damn!!!!   You pay 40 Bucks for a movie....Holy shit I don't pay that much and I buy Popcorn and a drink...LOL
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I played korean pay to win game.  ironically the people who actually win are majority non paying player.  They just play the game full time like a job.  The people who play less compete by spending money.
    PhryGdemami
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    AAAMEOW said:
    I played korean pay to win game.  ironically the people who actually win are majority non paying player.  They just play the game full time like a job.  The people who play less compete by spending money.
    And of course, players would never play the game full time and spend money in the game, as for those who play the game full time and don't spend any money, i think the term you are looking for, is gold farmers.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    viddiot said:
    It would be grammatically correct to way 'woman' not 'women'. This indicates to me English may not be your first language.

I ask you to use Google Translate before posting in the future, but I don't think they have a Cro-Magnon to English option yet.
    "correct to way"  === you mean === "correct way"

Actually the issue isn't grammar, it is however a typo. When not thinking and you type women or woman, they sound the same, so it was likely akin to attempting to type 'there' and instead wrote 'their'. 

English is silly in its rules of pronunciation. 

These can all be said exactly the same and spelled completely different:
    Force/phorce
    Fource/Phource (as in source)
    Foarse/Phoarse (as in coarse)
    Forse/phorse (as in norse)
    Fourse/Phourse (as in course)

Woman and women sound the same but one denotes singular and the other plural. That is silly. 

And English is my first language. I'm bilingual however. 

Cryomatrix

p.s. I was joking with the "woman is the true raper of man's wallets"

PhryGdemami
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    viddiot said:

Actually the issue isn't grammar, it is however a typo. When not thinking and you type women or woman, they sound the same, so it was likely akin to attempting to type 'there' and instead wrote 'their'. 

Force/phorce

Woman and women sound the same but one denotes singular and the other plural. That is silly. 

Cryomatrix

I wish i could invent words like that, then i could claim English as my first language too :p
    KyleranConstantineMerus
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Something everyone is overlooking here... The companies that produce games will make marketing and sales decisions no matter what anyone's opinion of the matter is. We could cry or support all we want, it never has, nor will make a difference. 

Warning, or no warning, it was an inevitable market decision that could not have been prevented. 

This is how it is !   This is the bottom line. 

Marketing stepped in and decided to screw the people with no stopping it and the population proved them right....... 4 years of collage to learn how to screw people.

Thank God I chose a career that doesn't take advantage of others.... I'm trying to make it to haven. 

Gdemami
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited October 2017
    viddiot said:

Force/phorce

Cryomatrix

English pronunciation isn't the issue.  The issue is the orthography.  Modern English is still - largely - using pre-Great Vowel Shift, Middle English orthography.  The Vowel Shift changed the placement of most vowels in the English Language (Chain-Shift), so pronunciation stopped corresponding to their spellings.  Additionally, English employs heavy vowel reduction, which is very "variable" in nature.  So, when we speak, we shorten and reduce vowels in unstressed syllables.  The language is stress-timed.  This means that no orthography can truly correspond 1:1 with English pronunciation, due to this reduction and the variable nature of it in the spoken language.

Additionally, English changed from an Alveolar Trill [fricative] rhotic to a Retroflex Approximant rhotic.  This completely changed the pronunciation of words with tr/dr clusters (not separated at syllable boundaries).  Tree, Dream, Cadre (English pronunciation), Transform, Daedre (English pronunciation), String, etc.

Most languages would "correct" this with spelling reforms, but this hasn't happened in English.

The pronunciations themselves are not the problem.  Every language has its own phonemic inventory, and English is vowel heavy with a lot of diphthongs and weird digraphs.  It's completely normal, and easy... for Anglophones...

A language like Spanish, for example, has a regular orthography...  Only 5 Vowels, a completely different rhotic, is syllable timed, has no vowel reduction, has mostly regular stress placement, and has very few diphthongs.  Consonants are clustered differently, the phonotactic rules are different.

Many Anglophones quit learning Russian at Здравствуйте (Zdravstvuyte), because the word is a phonotactic nightmare for Anglophones.

However, within the system of Russian Phonotactics, Stress Placement, Vowel Reduction, Phonology, etc.  It's perfectly normal.

Woman and Women never sound alike.  The /a/ in Woman is often reduced to schwa (as in of).  The /e/ in women is often reduced to short /i/ (as in "kick").

Course, Coarse, and Source all have the same vowel - /oʊ/ diphthong.  It may be /ɔ/ for some speakers - particularly those who speak non-rhotic dialects.

The vowel in Norse is /ɔ/.  People who pronounce it with /oʊ/ are simply mispronouncing the word.

Your grammar error was a grammar error caused by a typo.  You can't split infinities with anything but a modifier - usually an adverb (though there can be than one of them); and splitting infinities is bad form, anyways (though the new age of terrible internet writers is trying to change that :-P ).

"Raper" is an American colloquialism that sounds like something a 2 year old would say when he's acquiring vocabulary.  I have never heard an adult use this word, ever.

/nerd
    GdemamiKyleranCryomatrixPhryConstantineMerusimmodium