Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Adds Game Anti-Cheat Engine to Windows 10

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

I'm thinking they will make millions off of selling this service to game companies.  

With the release of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update earlier this week, Microsoft quietly rolled out a gaming anti-cheat engine, similar to Valve's VAC system.

Called TruePlay, the new anti-cheat system is a collection of APIs that game developers can employ in their games to detect cheaters.

TruePlay works by allowing developers to create games that run in a protected process that will automatically mitigate certain types of attacks often used by game cheats such as aimbots and wallhacks.

Besides a hardened process container, TruePlay also provides an external Windows service that monitors gaming sessions for behaviors and manipulations that are also common in cheating scenarios, even if they're successful or not.

TruePlay will alert game developers of cheating players

If cheating is detected, TruePlay can show alerts to the player. It can also collect anonymized user data and send it to the game developer, who can decide on more punitive actions.

TruePlay is only available for games developed with Universal Windows Platform (UWP) technology.

Because of the privacy implications that come with monitoring users' games, TruePlay is not turned on by default, so users will need to visit their Settings section and click on it to enable the anti-cheat feature.

TruePlay

If game developers adopt it, soon, players won't be able to join multiplayer games without the feature being turned on.

TruePlay expected to become very popular

Experts expect TruePlay to become very popular, as game developers are having a hard time catching cheaters as it is, and they'll embrace an extra layer of protection, especially one that can work so deep inside Windows' guts.

Since it's an API, integration with existing games should also be easier than if developers coded custom anti-cheat systems from scratch.

TruePlay was previously known internally at Microsoft as GameMonitor, and the company launched it as a test feature with a Windows Insiders build back in July.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/gaming/microsoft-adds-game-anti-cheat-engine-to-windows-10/

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I'm imagining that for now cheaters will just turn it off, and games will be reluctant to require customers to have it on for fear of excluding players with older versions of windows. Once Windows 10 is considered the oldest Windows anyone would practically run, if they have been consistent about adding this to each version, then I could see it being a big things.
    Octagon7711
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2017
    gaming for windows 10 is overall horseshit.

Developers are going to VAC regardless, using windows VAC style system will only be an afterthought.....at least in the PC universe 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The problem with UWP applications is that they are restricted to the Windows Store. If you could use it through any service as long as it was on a Windows Machine, then it would make sense to use.