Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blade Runner 2049

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
edited May 2017 in Off-Topic Discussion
Is Deckard Gaff's replicant?

You've done a "mans" job, sir.

Post edited by Asheram on

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I don't want to see anything else until I see the movie.  Harrison Ford being in it is just right.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Full length trailer. 
    edited October 2017
    From the director of Cowboy Bebop and Samauri Champloo Shinichirō Watanabe. WB got him to do some shorts for the time period 2022, between the first Blade Runner movie that took place in 2019 and the new one that takes place in 2049.

Can't wait til friday :smile:
  • JordanCook43JordanCook43 Member CommonPosts: 5
    I can't wait to see the movie. This is one movie where a remake could be justified.
    edited October 2017
    Cool movie, an awesome visual and ambient experience.

Post edited by Asheram on
    Phaserlight
    lol Sony has censored what little amount of nudity is in Blade Runner 2049 in Turkey and other countries in order to get a bigger audience in those countries and people are not happy about it. I sure hope SONY at least made that clear to people before they purchased a ticket.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/750yje/blade_runner_2049_is_censored_in_turkey/

Poor Turks didn't get to see giant naked Joi lol. :p 

• StrikeboyStrikeboy Member CommonPosts: 28
    if i'll rate the movie, it's a good movie but not that "woah" thingy
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Asheram said:
    lol Sony has censored what little amount of nudity is in Blade Runner 2049 in Turkey and other countries in order to get a bigger audience in those countries and people are not happy about it. I sure hope SONY at least made that clear to people before they purchased a ticket.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/750yje/blade_runner_2049_is_censored_in_turkey/

Poor Turks didn't get to see giant naked Joi lol. :p 

That's a great scene, and not for the nudity; some pretty heavy symbolism imo, in keeping with the first one.

Bountiful kudos, Denis Villeneuve.  You did what many said couldn't be done: you made a good sequel to Blade Runner.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

I just saw the movie.  It was as emotionally draining as the first one.  I still feel disoriented after getting home.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • StrikeboyStrikeboy Member CommonPosts: 28
    ^I feel you bro
    • Strikeboy said:
      ^I feel you bro
      No, you don't.  I think it's the best movie I've seen in years.  You think it's just ok.
    Asheram
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I certainly enjoyed the movie, but nowhere near as much as the first one. 

I felt 2049 stayed extremely faithful to the feeling and ambiance of the original. The world and the people in it matched up very well and I thought that aspect to it was amazing. Well done to the new team for not fucking up a great IP! Still plenty of moody, reflective scenes to really drive stuff home. 

The storyline...yeh, nothing special imo. Whilst the first film seemed to tackle the question of "what is life?" from a psychological point of view - independent thought, self-awareness etc - this film seemed to focus more on the physical side of things - who your parents are - which just isn't as interesting. I also felt that Jared Leto's character was pretty pointless, and whilst he did a great acting job it didn't really contribute much to the overall story. They could definitely have used him and his company to greater effect in tackling the subjects of life, slavery, abuse of power etc. 

Still, a pleasant film that I'll get on DVD when it comes out. Probs give it a 7/10
      I don't think Deckard is a replicant. In the original we were made to believe Rachel was "special" because she had no termination date where as all the other replicants did. There wasn't even a hint that she could give birth, I think that was just added to make the sequel work. Deckard doesn't even need to be one for it to work either unless they are trying to say "without saying" that both parents need to be replicants in order for the conception to work. 
      And if he is a replicant without a termination date and the ability to make a child why would Tyrrell plant him in the cop shop instead of keeping him to work for him and paired him with Rachel when she was finished? Putting him in the cop shop would have put his unique creation at risk one would think.
    If he is supposed to be one they could have done a pretty decent prequel telling how Tyrrell planted him in the police and also telling the back story of Roy Batty and crew back when all the actors were young enough to make it believable.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Asheram said:

And if he is a replicant without a termination date and the ability to make a child why would Tyrrell plant him in the cop shop instead of keeping him to work for him and paired him with Rachel when she was finished? Putting him in the cop shop would have put his unique creation at risk one would think.
    If he is supposed to be one they could have done a pretty decent prequel telling how Tyrrell planted him in the police and also telling the back story of Roy Batty and crew back when all the actors were young enough to make it believable.
    I think the point, in the original, was that when you really delve down into it, how do you define life? The replicants are capable of independent thought, they are self aware, they have their own desires and a will to survive. Is that enough to constitute life?

We know that memory is programable in replicants. We know that certain models of replicant wanted to survive and choose their own lives. It seems to me that a good way to hide and survive would be to wipe your own memory and replace it with a seemingly human set of memories. Then, by working in the police department as a blade runner, you are unlikely to be suspected of being a replicant yourself. 

I believe this was the whole point of the original. Through exploring what it means to be alive, Deckard realises he cannot prove or disprove that he himself is alive. Thus, if it is so hard to make that distinction, do we really have the right to kill a replicant? This is the core of Deckard's moral dilemma and the reason he doesn't kill Rachel. 

It also depends which version of the original film you watched. The theatrical release had a load of additional monologue from Deckard that really guided viewers down the road of "what is life? is deckard a replicant?". In all subsequent versions, that monologue was removed, making it pretty clear that Deckard is human. 
    edited November 2017
    Well I still believe what I wrote you can try to muddy the waters but it doesn't change human nature.
    In the end at least Deckard doesn't care anymore whether something or someone is 'real' or not.  When Officer Kay ask Deckard "Is it real?" while looking at the dog, Deckard replies "I don't know, why don't you ask him?".
    Roy Batty let him live, the other combat model almost killed but Rachel saved him and even Pris the pleasure model was kicking his ass til he shot her. If Deckard is a replicant he must have been an office worker model.