Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or ESO Morrowind?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Path of Fire will reward you with things that make creating a new character class and re-exploring the core game feel new.

After I am done the story and with my renegade character I plan on making a firebrand character and using mounts to get all the things I missed on my old character.
    Indeed. I used my bunny and Griffon to clear all mastery points in the 3rd season zones I lacked in less then an hour. The old game is rather different to play with mounts.
    Octagon7711
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,098
    edited October 2017
    I'd say go for Path of Fire. 

Morrowind is very very small compared to Path of Fire. You could be done with Morrowind in a few days, seriously, because really it's only a DLC. Once you play through it, you're done with it. Path of Fire is a massive playground that you can spend months in. You'll get a lot more for your money if you go with GW2.

If you've never played ESO though, getting the Morrowind package would be the better option.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TruplayaUBTruplayaUB Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited October 2017
    Why the HELL bother with an Game who wants to be skyrim ... but isn´t and never will ... yeah they can add this and that ... 
    Besides a Game with soooooo many different stuff to do (which also makes fun, not like most others) ... where PVP is more then a word and !!! the best part of GW2 .... you "maybe!" have the chance to meet me .... what should be more then enough for you to get enthusiastic ....
    And GW2 has a "n i c e" Community .... while ESO have a Community too ?? but Skyrim didnt !! Immersion broken .... and dont forget your monthly quest ... paying SUB ;)
    Take GW2 ... the fresh wind the game got from Path of Fire .... and try to get to the ultimate content .... meeting me ingame and SURVIVE my Story´s i will tell ya ;)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,618
    ESO is the better game and the last great hope for AAA.
    Jean-Luc_PicardPhry

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• TruplayaUBTruplayaUB Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited October 2017
    Did we all set the bar this low for ESO to be named with AAA Titles .... And ESO might be the last hope for the genre ... but that shows only that you cant survive a horse which died 3 times at the same place ... or in other words ... ESO ;)    But yeah ... its an AAA MMORPG ... because you can play SOLO for all Levels and Quest´s and just appear if "YOU" have the need for Grouping or better called "Loot" ... Playing together for more then quests which need a group ?? Thats GW2 .... so choose wisely ;) .... 

--> My Idea of the next big Feature from ESO .... Press "F5" during play and all "real players" will be invisible for you .... that makes this AAA Game sooo much better ;) 
    Just you, some NPCs and the SUB to pay .... i love it ;) 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,624

In terms of immersion I'll go with ESO again. GW2 all the events are NOT dynamic (which they advertised pre-release), and are timed and repeat over and over and over and over. People put bosses on timers...which is lame.

While the GW2 events are not Dynamic in nature by themselves, they do make the world feel dynamic for people like me, that just play the storys and do explore the world. People with Boss timers, do this out of choice, its not something i would do.

Now i came to this section of the Forum to ask the question, GW2 vs ESO. Just to find this topic on top of the pile. So i am playing GW2 as my return to MMO, i return as soon as there is new story parts, and play till i get bored. having finished POF on 2 characers allready, i guess thats going to be soon.

So i am looking for a new game, that allows me a lot of world and story immersion and challenges me to explore the world. I havent played ESO in a long time, and was wondering how it evolved with Morrowwind and the upcomming expansion. Since i love new classes and getting new abilites i was thinking of buying morrow wind and playing the guardian. (having allready 4 level 50's from my playstreak at release) 

So what does the (whole) game have to offer right now for a semi casual MMO player that loves story, lore, exploration and an ocasional PvP battle?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• seamonkey001seamonkey001 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I am currently looking into this forum for some insight but I have ESO on Xbox One instead of PC. I have been reading the forums on ESO for a couple of days and I am still seeing the same issue that has been plaguing the console for a long time now, unplayable lag. I love ESO but have not played in almost a year. I am afraid of committing to ESO and being disappointed even with a fix coming to the issue stated above. I am leaning towards GW2 just for its better stability. If you have some insight into this issue I would love some feedback.

• RaquisRaquis Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Guild wars 2 cause you get the main game for free and lots of people are playing;)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,618
    Did we all set the bar this low for ESO to be named with AAA Titles .... And ESO might be the last hope for the genre ... but that shows only that you cant survive a horse which died 3 times at the same place ... or in other words ... ESO ;)    But yeah ... its an AAA MMORPG ... because you can play SOLO for all Levels and Quest´s and just appear if "YOU" have the need for Grouping or better called "Loot" ... Playing together for more then quests which need a group ?? Thats GW2 .... so choose wisely ;) .... 

--> My Idea of the next big Feature from ESO .... Press "F5" during play and all "real players" will be invisible for you .... that makes this AAA Game sooo much better ;) 
    Just you, some NPCs and the SUB to pay .... i love it ;) 

The bar has been set lower and lower each year, so ESO which did not live up to all our expectations easily makes it in as a great AAA. With no other AAA out since then to my knowledge it may well be the last great hope. :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,822
    I am currently looking into this forum for some insight but I have ESO on Xbox One instead of PC. I have been reading the forums on ESO for a couple of days and I am still seeing the same issue that has been plaguing the console for a long time now, unplayable lag. I love ESO but have not played in almost a year. I am afraid of committing to ESO and being disappointed even with a fix coming to the issue stated above. I am leaning towards GW2 just for its better stability. If you have some insight into this issue I would love some feedback.
    I think ESO has always had problems with stability.  I've played since beta and at launch I played for 30 days then left it alone because of all the connection drops, lag, and bots.  It's much better now but they still have problems with lag and things getting broken after big updates.

I've played GW2 since beta also and they had lag and disconnects when lots of people were fighting world bosses.  Now I think I had one disconnect during PoF play and other than that it's been a very stable game for me.  So I think GW2 has better stability in general.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,822
    edited October 2017
    netglen said:
    Try both and see which you like. Personally I think ESO is broken in their 3-way battlegrounds.  I've seen geared out tanks that a 20+ man zerg can't take down.
    The only time I saw something like that was when people had emperor buffs and vampire, way before they nerfed it to hell a long time ago.  But it was fun while it lasted. :smile:

Found a video on it.

You lot who are saying that Emperors are supposed to be strong dont really get what is going on here What you see in this video is the guy playing the current empress exploiting unintended mechanic that only works if a player meets certain requirements: 1) being a stage 4 vampire (60% spell cost reduction affecting ultimate ability!) 2) having a morphed vampiric self-healing ultimate ability 3) being a sorc or a dragon knight ( ultimate cost reduction passives) 4) having a specific armor set that also reduce ultimate cost 5) having a mist form 6) being an emperor Now what is happening actually? In short, if a player meets these requirements he can have ultimate ability cost reduced to 4 , even 0 in some cases. What does it mean? It means he can spam extremely strong self healing ability INDEFINITELY doing huge amount of damage What;s worse. He can turn into a mist form that has 75% damage reduction AND receive ultimate self healing from the bat swarm which is not supposed to happen based on how the mist form works. A vampire in a mist form CANT get healing. BUT they missed that it doesn't affect ultimate ability bat swarm. The thing is. The more people around the empress the more invulnerable she is. We managed to kill her one time when she was alone avoiding being close to her , keeping distance and it took 50+ players. BUT it is IMPOSSIBLE to do if she is with her own group. It is totally broken mechanic exploiting mist form+ bat swarm
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,034
    Well, I'm quite unbiased since I play both.

Before One Tamriel, there's no doubt to me, GW2 was the better game.
    But now, I tend to put ESO in the lead, even though GW2 finally added things like mounts. I also like the graphic style of ESO better, GW2 is sometimes, for some armor sets and some classes, a bit too "Asian" for me.
    Iselin
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Well, I'm quite unbiased since I play both.

Before One Tamriel, there's no doubt to me, GW2 was the better game.
    But now, I tend to put ESO in the lead, even though GW2 finally added things like mounts. I also like the graphic style of ESO better, GW2 is sometimes, for some armor sets and some classes, a bit too "Asian" for me.

Its not clear to me, why you like eso better, its not just the graphics i asume?

when just looking at gw2 i see stromgs and weaknesses. I really like the combat mechanics of gw2, there is a huge and deep tactical layer and classes can be bui;d among dozens of strategies. I somehow dislike however the spell animations, espescially when zergs are around, but even with a small group the ennemie can be cluttered by graphical spam...

if i return to eso, thats because from memmories i think combat despite having less depth could be more immersive...

however, i think GW2 has come a huge way, where it comes to world immersion, story telling trough main stories, but even tough dynamic quests..  and they do deliver on the content what keeps me playing the game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,034
    edited October 2017
    I find combat better and less "zergy", and also character development to be vastly superior in ESO. I like how the skill system, despite having classes, is very close to 100% skill based games like Ultima or Asheron's Call. You can basically do whatever character you want including a pure crafter with few fighting skills. You can make a tank sorcerer or a caster dragonknight, using any armor and any weapon available. I also like ESO's "One Tamriel" scaling system better, that's what made me finally pay to play that game. Oh, and I like the option of a subscription without having to care about any cash shop, too.

For the amount of content, both games are IMHO on par. Both GW2 and ESO have huge amounts of content, and in both games, if you're just starting, you have many months of gameplay before you explore most of it.

To make it short, both games are, to me, two major milestone in "post-WoW and clones" MMORPGs. Choosing which one you prefer relies pretty much on details, since both are excellent games.
    gervaise1YashaX
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Scot said:
    ESO is the better game and the last great hope for AAA.
    Sorry, neither game will suddenly become the new Wow and inspire lots of other AAA games, it is too late for that. They could increase their player numbers with good new content and do even better that they already done but it wont make either "last hope for AAA".

ESO might have been just that before release though if we only count western games but it did not turn the trend.

OP was just asking which of the games had a best last expansion and ESO is losing there just like GW2 would have lost the same question 2 years ago.
    Nepheth
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 800
    For the amount of content, both games are IMHO on par. Both GW2 and ESO have huge amounts of content, and in both games, if you're just starting, you have many months of gameplay before you explore most of it.

To make it short, both games are, to me, two major milestone in "post-WoW and clones" MMORPGs. Choosing which one you prefer relies pretty much on details, since both are excellent games.
    That's how it is. Both games have their merits, with neither overwhelmingly better than the other. It is simply a matter of personal preference and sometimes bias as to which is better.
  • eruexeeruexe Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I didn't last on both games but I had more fun with PoF than Morrowind despite my hatred for Gw2's grind.
  • AdoniAdoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    I liked ESO more. I like the races/classes ♥ the questing. The housing is a plus.

• Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Both games have their strengths.  I think GW2 does the best job at a more active combat system than other MMOs.  ESO, on the other hand, can feel clunky to me at times.  However ESO's skill system is great.

Both games have excellent world building.  ESO has superior quest writing.  

GW2 is far better bang for your buck.  Constantly updated, and the cash shop is completely unnecessary.  ESO if you are a crafter is a sub game (which i dont mind).  ESO's updates are less frequent and overall less content gets added.

My absolute favorite thing about GW2 is unique to all post EQ MMORPGs: long term goals.  Legendaries.  They have minimal impact on character power, and take a normal person months to get.  Yes, they are grindy.  But no other game since EQ has let me put that much effort into getting items that wont simply be replaced the next expansion.  The legendaries arent a plus for most people I don't think, but they are for me.

But GW2 lacks housing, which ESO has.

One game isnt better than the other.  For all people bitch about the state of MMOs, the current generation of MMORPGs (ESO, GW2, FFXIV) is quite strong.  All three games have a lot to offer.  I prefer UO/EQ/DAoC/AC/FFXI era myself, but we aren't in a bad spot right now at all.
    seamonkey001
  • seamonkey001seamonkey001 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Teak2112 said:
    Both games have their strengths.  I think GW2 does the best job at a more active combat system than other MMOs.  ESO, on the other hand, can feel clunky to me at times.  However ESO's skill system is great.

Both games have excellent world building.  ESO has superior quest writing.  

GW2 is far better bang for your buck.  Constantly updated, and the cash shop is completely unnecessary.  ESO if you are a crafter is a sub game (which i dont mind).  ESO's updates are less frequent and overall less content gets added.

My absolute favorite thing about GW2 is unique to all post EQ MMORPGs: long term goals.  Legendaries.  They have minimal impact on character power, and take a normal person months to get.  Yes, they are grindy.  But no other game since EQ has let me put that much effort into getting items that wont simply be replaced the next expansion.  The legendaries arent a plus for most people I don't think, but they are for me.

But GW2 lacks housing, which ESO has.

One game isnt better than the other.  For all people bitch about the state of MMOs, the current generation of MMORPGs (ESO, GW2, FFXIV) is quite strong.  All three games have a lot to offer.  I prefer UO/EQ/DAoC/AC/FFXI era myself, but we aren't in a bad spot right now at all.
    I agree with you teak, I think I just have to take my time and dive back into both games and see what I lean towards.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,827
    Neither game is really all that good imo, there are other better games available so its kind of like arguing who is going to cross the finish line in a horse race, when the first 5 horses have already done so. :p
  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,159
    The inventory management in ESO is such a turnoff and locking improvements to it behind a subscription is a dickmove. 
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited October 2017
    I really dislike the fact GW2 gave up on dungeons. Thats always been such a big part of MMO gameplay IMO. And no, fractals dont do it for me. Its like they had scraps of dungeons they started developing but couldnt be arsed to finish so they decided to randomly glue them together and call it a day. 
    I really dislike the fact GW2 gave up on dungeons. Thats always been such a big part of MMO gameplay IMO. And no, fractals dont do it for me. Its like they had scraps of dungeons they started developing but couldnt be arsed to finish so they decided to randomly glue them together and call it a day. 
    I fear that people today want many small dungeons instead of some large, dungeons have becomer smaller and smaller since EQ.

I agree that GW2 shoould have had 2 dungeons in each new expansion at least...
    Loke666 said:
    I fear that people today want many small dungeons instead of some large, dungeons have becomer smaller and smaller since EQ.

I agree that GW2 shoould have had 2 dungeons in each new expansion at least...

So how are the dungeons in eso evolving?