Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HyperX Cloud Alpha Headset - Outstanding - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageHyperX Cloud Alpha Headset - Outstanding - MMORPG.com

For $99, the HyperX Cloud Alpha may be single best value gaming headset out there. In my time with it, I have been impressed in every single way, even when comparing it to headset’s more than twice the price. Simply put, if you want a headset that will not only make games and music sound great, but won’t break the bank, look no further. HyperX has done it again.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I would guess that just about every "gaming" headset is bad. It's all about the aesthetics and marketing for most of these brands, e.g., "Hear your enemies before they hear you!" blah blah. Same crap sound most of the time.

eddieg50
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I use turtle beach for PS4 and PC for the past 4 years and been very satisfied bought them 70 and 80$ have 2.
  • MalaclypsetyMalaclypsety Member UncommonPosts: 8
    just wondering, has there ever been a negative 'review' here?
    SBFord[Deleted User]okomuschSplattrsumdumguy1
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I own the Hyper X Cloud 2. The sound is great. VERY loud, to the point where I keep my computer volume at around 10-20 out of 100. Real deep bass. Comfortable ear pads. The mic is good quality. The quality of the build seems sturdy and well built. It muffles and keeps out outside noise incredibly well. Im happy with my purchase. I got it for $100 CDN which is about $75 USD
    [Deleted User]
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Look you get what you pay for, they are the king of the crap tier headphones *clap* *clap* I use to be ignorant and think turtle beach was actually good, then you put on your big boy panties and pop out a couple hundred and buy a real set like sennheisers and you will realize how much of a fool you were.

Do you need the best of the best when gaming? No, unless you value sound quality. However coming out with a review and then putting Cons none, is nothing but pure shrill fanboyism.

I can give you a ton of cons on those headsets.

CONS

1) Aluminum frame is thin, better than plastic but still can bend from use
    2) Clouds with the auto mute by moving your mic up and down often are defected and do not work, went through 3 send backs til got one that worked.
    3) Sound quality is sub par, considered great in it's own tier
    4) The foam muffs are cheap and feel awkward after long periods of play, again in their own tier this might be a positive

For $99 you could do worse, but I find it absolutely disgusting to not point out flaws and have a no cons list.
    annarchiegordon
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403

Hashbrick said:

Look you get what you pay for, they are the king of the crap tier headphones *clap* *clap* I use to be ignorant and think turtle beach was actually good, then you put on your big boy panties and pop out a couple hundred and buy a real set like sennheisers and you will realize how much of a fool you were.

Do you need the best of the best when gaming? No, unless you value sound quality. However coming out with a review and then putting Cons none, is nothing but pure shrill fanboyism.

CONS

2) Clouds with the auto mute by moving your mic up and down often are defected and do not work, went through 3 send backs til got one that worked.

4) The foam muffs are cheap and feel awkward after long periods of play, again in their own tier this might be a positive

For $99 you could do worse, but I find it absolutely disgusting to not point out flaws and have a no cons list.

I use turtle beach and have amazing sound/mic and consider fools the one that pay more.
    DeadSpock said:

Hashbrick said:

CONS

I use turtle beach and have amazing sound/mic and consider fools the one that pay more.
    If only I could live in your fantasy land.  Guys with Civics think the same thing when comparing Vipers.  Enjoy the bottom
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • KigeroneKigerone Member CommonPosts: 2
    Hashbrick, why bully people? If you are attempting to appeal your opinion to this thread, you are doing yourself a disservice. There are far more affective ways of swaying someone's mind than simply stating that they are wrong, ignorant, and a fool. Unless of course you are not trying to do that at all. Perhaps you have nothing better to do than to belittle others. Now that? that is stupid. I see no fool but you here.
    WraithoneDeadSpockinfomatz
  • KigeroneKigerone Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited October 2017
    As far as quality headsets go, I have an AKG 7XX from Massdrop and absolutely love the sound. It is absolutely incredible. With high quality audio, it is a breath of fresh air. When gaming, it sounds great, yes, and while you can tell the difference between a HQ headphone and a sub-$100 Gaming Headset while listening, the major differences just aren't that noticeable if you choose the right headset.

All in all, I'd say the $100 area for gaming headsets is a fantastic pricepoint and there are just too many great choices in that category to not like at least one of them. If you go any higher than, say, $150, spend the extra cash on a pair of cans from Massdrop like the Sennheiser 6XX or AKG 7XX instead, as you will not be sorry. The AKG has a little more bass, but I find the Senn's far more comfortable. They are both considered $500 headsets that you can easily get for $200 when they drop on the site.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    As much as I love the HyperX Cloud series headphones, I've found they simply break to easily. I've personally been through 3 headsets already before deciding not to buy them anymore. 1 pair of cloud 1's and 2 pairs of cloud 2s. They are super comfortable and sound great, but dealing with their customer service wasn't ever a great experience for me.

I've also purchased these headsets a few times for friends in need, and they didn't do much better with them. Not sure what the deal is, but maybe the alphas have better parts. Here's to hoping..
    [Deleted User]
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Hashbrick said:

CONS

For this review series, I have more than a dozen sets of headphones at my house, between $79-340. The HyperX Cloud Alphas are punching so far above their class for $99 it isn't even funny. Am I am audiophile? No. At the same time, the clarity on this headset is easily in the ballpark with the Blue Lola's ($250) and the V-Moda Crossfade 2s ($340).

Two of your cons can be thrown out. Foam ear pads? Subjective. I like them much better than even some other memory foam ones ice used. They are clearly a higher quality. The sound quality is great in its own tier. That's a positive. If you stack it up against some HD650s that are 5x the price, sure, it might fall short. You have to keep context here. Comparing audiophile equipment against a gaming headset isn't a fair comparison (not that non-audiophiles are likely to notice anyhow).

And about the build. You say the aluminum frame is too thin, I say that 99% of gaming headsets are almost completely plastic. The metal build quality is an improvement.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Also, there is no auto mute on this headset.
    edited October 2017

just wondering, has there ever been a negative 'review' here?

This review run is aimed at high quality headsets. It's a special series we're doing aimed at illustrating the differences between what most of these companies consider their premiere headsets. I would hope in that case we wouldn't be getting anything less than good. For these headsets at least, they're all going to tend positive with discussions of the pros/cons because, so far, nothing we've been sent has been bad. Not as good as another? Oh yes. But bad? Not yet.

Also, as an editorial direction, I dislike dramatically negative criticism. It's the easy way out as writers to just trash something. If something is bad, we'll ding it, but you can expect it to be a more nuanced discussion of why, or why a level of quality may match/mismatch a price range or target demo. Like a commenter above tried to do, comparing a $99 headset to a $500 headset is a fool's errand. I will always review things in the context of their pricing category because that is how they're designed.
    Forgrimm[Deleted User]Splattr
  • CrypticNewsCrypticNews Member CommonPosts: 2
    PogChamp [Sponsored]
  • GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I'm a happy owner of the Hyper X Cloud II and it's very well built so not sure when I'll need to replace it, but it's good to know that the Alpha is there as a good replacement should I need one.

Hashbrick said:

CONS

For this review series, I have more than a dozen sets of headphones at my house, between $79-340. The HyperX Cloud Alphas are punching so far above their class for $99 it isn't even funny. Am I am audiophile? No. At the same time, the clarity on this headset is easily in the ballpark with the Blue Lola's ($250) and the V-Moda Crossfade 2s ($340).

Two of your cons can be thrown out. Foam ear pads? Subjective. I like them much better than even some other memory foam ones ice used. They are clearly a higher quality. The sound quality is great in its own tier. That's a positive. If you stack it up against some HD650s that are 5x the price, sure, it might fall short. You have to keep context here. Comparing audiophile equipment against a gaming headset isn't a fair comparison (not that non-audiophiles are likely to notice anyhow).

And about the build. You say the aluminum frame is too thin, I say that 99% of gaming headsets are almost completely plastic. The metal build quality is an improvement.
    To the other poster, I'm not trying to "bully" people just there is a lot of ignorant people giving wrong information to people when it comes to choices and decisions.  I find it a dis-service when you can't point out any cons or you have the gull to say your headset is the best ever when you are on tier 3 of the headsets.

Great, next time lets actually list some cons, nothing is perfect.  When you compare an apple to an apple you are aren't comparing.  I specifically said most headphones in that tier are plastic but that aluminum build is way too thin. If you care about having headsets that last for a while, then this is a negative.  I don't know about you but I like to have headsets last longer than 6 months and when under normal use stuff starts cracking or breaking it's a terrible build like it or not.

Ask some of the pro Counter Strike players about what they think when they are forced to wear those HyperX sets at a tournament because of sponsor or they are cheap, they will tell you they are god awful and use it strictly as a mic and drop the outside noise, but really use ear buds for the game sounds.

Look I love my sennheisers as an awakened audiophile they are incredible, however if someone said could you do a review on them, I'd sure as hell list cons. 

For one no volume slider on the headset or toggle strip, it is a huge inconvenience as you have to go into the windows audio menus to play around with the volume or by key press functions on the keyboard.  It's annoying.

I'm also not a fan of how long the cord is, there is no need for a 15ft cable for a headset, if you are walking away that often it's time for a wireless set.

Stuff like that, so please next time be subjective, nothing is perfect and nothing will ever be.  Someone else will tell me my sennheisers suck compared to their $600 mega headset, I don't take it to heart or consider them bullying me.  Just opinions, but as a consumer being able to take opinions in consideration is the power behind them, again if there are no cons that consideration is now moot.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    A lot of gaming headsets are total crap and overpriced crap at that. So are some "audiophile" headsets. I've made the rounds through several manufacturers including Razer, Logitech, Steelseries, and HyperX (Kingston). I've also had a few quality non-gaming headsets. Neither wins hands down over the other. There are good models in both categories just like all hardware. HyperX makes good quality headsets at a reasonable price.

I have two HyperX Cloud II, a Razer V2, and a Steelseries Arctis 7 in everyday use at home and work right now. The Cloud II are definitely the best sounding headset I've used in that price range and sound a little better than the Arctis 7.

The article mirrors much of my experience with the Cloud II so it sounds pretty spot on to me. The one difference is the Cloud II have the inline USB DAC for virtual surround. I like that, but I think an FPS player will be much happier without it.

The set I'm eyeing is the HyperX Revolver S. I like the inline DAC for virtual surround and also the easy pnp nature of it. It seems to behave more reliably with both gaming and meeting software like WebEx, GoToMeeting, and such.

The other feature I like about HyperX headsets is the detachable mic. I personally like that a little bit more than retractable.
    Of course we have crappy products in every industry. That statement alone doesn't mean anything. 

What matters here is what you can get with the same budget. And that's where the gaming products are in trouble. You can pick ANY gaming headset, and I can come up with a lot of non-gaming alternatives which are superior, or list several with the same quality but a lot cheaper. And when you add durability to the equation, these products pale in comparison. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • darthisurusdarthisurus Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I have the Alpha S's. What did you use for microphone background-noise cancellation?

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Years ago when I came on to this site,  many people told me to get a good regular headset and a standalone mic.  They said my experience would be significantly better.  This was excellent advice and still holds true today.  5 years later, same headset and mic and better than any gaming headset I've heard and I have experienced plenty of them.