Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriott: Classy move or new level of creepy?

2»

Comments

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Tiamat64 said:
    So how many of the 8 virtues does this break?
    At least three.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    DMKano said:
    Did anyone actually read this:

"Portalarium will donate 50% of the net purchase price of this item to the designated charity on a bi-annual basis"

So he's just making 50% profit from his dead mother. Alright, that's 50% less greedy and pathetic. But still greedy and pathetic. 
    I dunno I would say the fact that they are making money off this at all is 100% greedy and pathetic.

They could give 100% to charity or just not charge for a memorial in the first place.
    blorpykins

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Aragon100 said:
    DMKano said:

"Portalarium will donate 50% of the net purchase price of this item to the designated charity on a bi-annual basis"

So why not donate all the money to charity?
    In all likelihood they can't afford to bear the transaction costs and such themselves. That game isn't exactly doing well.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Words cannot express... the picture itself resembles a snapshot of hell.  They take half and the other half minus fees go to the charity.  And you have to buy or have property to place it somewhere.  By grabthars hammer... never seen such a thing.

(NOTE: You will need a Property to place this item in-game.) 

*Portalarium will donate 50% of the net purchase price of this item to the designated charity on a bi-annual basis. Net purchase price is determined by subtracting any transaction service fees and/or platform service fees from the full purchase price paid by the customer)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Aragon100 said:
    DMKano said:

So why not donate all the money to charity?
    In all likelihood they can't afford to bear the transaction costs and such themselves. That game isn't exactly doing well.
    But they are already talking about the *net* purchase price, after transaction costs and so. And *still* only donate 50% of that.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Isn't it nice to see someone turn a dead relative into a revenue generating device? How utterly creative.
    MrMelGibson

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Unlike the Warner Bros. thing, it is his mother, so do you think she's mind her son getting half of the profits? I'd think not. People ask for donations for the family of the deceased pretty often without it being creepy. And in this case you get something out of it too.
    jimmywolf
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Unlike the Warner Bros. thing, it is his mother, so do you think she's mind her son getting half of the profits? I'd think not. People ask for donations for the family of the deceased pretty often without it being creepy. And in this case you get something out of it too.

I guess you aren't the only one who feels that this company is acting ethically.  They're making their money somewhere.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    100% or GTFO richard
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    I think selling his own blood was creepier. Only thing creepier than that were the people actually buying it.
    Loke666MrMelGibson
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    To me it is just odd. Couldn't he just name an ingame city or Godess after her instead?

Or just sell some ingame stuff without any specifics to get cash and make an unrelated donation in her name to a charity?

I wouldn't call it creepy (unlike the blood thing) and it isn't that greedy either since MMO devs often sells stuff and keep 100% of the profit, it is just odd.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited October 2017
    Do you guys remember when he praised Chris Roberts for his fundraising skills?

He probably saw what WB did and thought he could do the same except WB actually has a decent game and his is a pile of wet garbage.

If his mother was like him she may not have objected to him doing this or actually maybe even encouraged it?

Any way you look at it it is sad af
    1. He would do this
    2. His game sucks so bad he has to do this.

Why is he so bound to that junk game that he has to continue on begging for scraps? It's on a whole nother level of pathetic. SOTA is a terrible mmo and he must know it so why go on? Did the people who threw down tens of thousands threaten to sue him if he abandons the game or something? How much could those few whales possibly be giving him to make any of it worthwhile.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Wow , the guy is actually trying to profit off of his mother's death. That is some next level degeneracy right there. What a piece of utter garbage.

This website supported the same thing, but a bit worse a few years ago. A relatively unknown female game journalist had passed away. Her mother, who was uneducated and a house wife wrote a help book about it within 3-4 months to capitalize on her death. The website then put ads EVERYWHERE about it. I witnessed hundreds, if not more complaints about how disgusting it was removed. They deleted each complaint one by one. Either the website couldn't compete with the amount of complaints they had to keep deleting, or the mother finally grew a conscience, as it was taken off after a few days.

I actually stopped visiting the site because of it for awhile. I was super disappointed they would support something like that.

Richard Garriott selling a piece of his mothers artwork in game, and donating to her favorite charity really isn't that bad in hind site.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    madazz said:
    Wow , the guy is actually trying to profit off of his mother's death. That is some next level degeneracy right there. What a piece of utter garbage.

This website supported the same thing, but a bit worse a few years ago. A relatively unknown female game journalist had passed away. Her mother, who was uneducated and a house wife wrote a help book about it within 3-4 months to capitalize on her death. The website then put ads EVERYWHERE about it. I witnessed hundreds, if not more complaints about how disgusting it was removed. They deleted each complaint one by one. Either the website couldn't compete with the amount of complaints they had to keep deleting, or the mother finally grew a conscience, as it was taken off after a few days.

I actually stopped visiting the site because of it for awhile. I was super disappointed they would support something like that.

Richard Garriott selling a piece of his mothers artwork in game, and donating to her favorite charity really isn't that bad in hind site.
    I don't think you know how advertising on this site works.
    Mmorpg.com has a deal with an add site and they know what adds to put here.
    Every now and then they put up something that upsets people so admin sends a complaint and it get's removed.

There are no shady shenanigans like you are suggesting.
    MrMelGibson
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited October 2017
    My grandfather was a painter. A quite well-quoted one in Germany.
    My mother sold some of his paintings after he died, that doesn't make her a heartless greedy horrible person. She also has all rights on any copy of the paintings, of course, even digital ones.

Quick to judge, but not so quick to think...
    But that's like the most irrelevant comparison ever done by a human, or anything living. 
    someforumguyMarcus-
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    My mother sold some of his paintings after he died, that doesn't make her a heartless greedy horrible person. She also has all rights on any copy of the paintings, of course, even digital ones.

But that's like the most irrelevant comparison ever done by a human, or anything living. 
    It's exactly the same. Selling the artwork of a deceased family member for personal profit.

What's amusing is that if Garriott had sold the in game item without mentioning any charity, it would have been most likely completely unnoticed.
    There's a difference mate between selling the actual artwork than a digital copy. If he wanted to honor his mother he could've implemented that item in another way in the game, or if he wanted to do charity he could donate all the earnings. He has turned his tragedy into extra profit without losing anything yet put a charity label on it along the way. 

And yeah, if he hadn't labeled this as charity to honor his mother no one would've said anything. Because everyone's fine about him using his mom's art to make money. The shit part is the marketing spin he has used which doesn't have the spirit of charity nor the honoring his mother part.

Sorry mate, I just can't see the relevance between your story to this, besides sharing a deceased loved one. 

Ps. Who was your grandfather anyway? I am well versed in German painters. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I hereby decree that if my children can find profit in my passing, please do so. Just make sure you share it with your siblings and donate at least 50% of it to charity.
    Eldurian[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    He's keeping 50% of the net profit. 

No, he's keeping 50% of the net purchase price

Profit = Purchase Price - Expenses

I highly doubt that expenses total to 50% of the purchase price, and I think it's a valid criticism that he shouldn't be attempting to profit from his mother's death even if it only totals 1% of the purchase price.

But here you are again being extremely intellectually dishonest, grasping at straws, and even outright fabricating things to smear this man yet again. He done screwed up. No need to lie to try to make it worse.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I'll let you be the judge.  "To mark the recent passing of Richard Garriott’s mother, the team created an in-game Exodus portrait that players can purchase for $15. Some of the proceeds will go to a children’s museum that she supported in her life."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/18/shroud-of-the-avatar-stuffs-in-more-dragons-preps-for-halloween/#comments

how can that be remotely 'creepy'?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited October 2017
    At first I thought it was a picture of her mom but found it bit odd to making a tribute of someone as the devil. When I got the full picture it made a whole lot more sense.

I don't see anything wrong with recreating your mom's artwork in a game. Creepy would have been selling her mom's blood and giving 50% away for charity.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited October 2017

Wow, this is too funny.

They buy your grandfather's painting because it is a painting from a well known painter (as you said), not because they want to donate money to your mother in memory of the painter. This is about buying art that you mother owns.

Noone knows RG's mother, and that meaningless trinket of a statue, can be endlessly copied. This is about preying on people's emotion disguised as donating money (disguised because they still take 50%).

Comparing these situations is ridiculous.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Wow, this is too funny.

They buy your grandfather's painting because it is a painting from a well known painter (as you said), not because they want to donate money to your mother in memory of the painter. This is about buying art that you mother owns.

Noone knows RG's mother, and that meaningless trinket of a statue, can be endlessly copied. This is about preying on people's emotion disguised as donating money (disguised because they still take 50%).

Comparing these situations is ridiculous.

Agree.

SotA fanbois refuse to understand the never ending complaints. Anyone with a brain understand that this is a creepy way to raise money.

Portalarium is a company that will do anything to raise funds. 
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited October 2017
    DMKano said:

The statement itself is a little confusing to be honest why would they give 50% two times instead of just giving 100% one time.  It's the word bi-annual that is the problem here for me as far as making the assumption they are just keeping the other half.  The only thing I could think of would be they are putting the other 50% in a bond of some type so they can make interest off it before they give it away the second time.  If that is the case what they are doing is beyond sad because it is actually making a profit off of the death of his mother instead of making a memorial.
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    k61977 said:
    DMKano said:

The statement itself is a little confusing to be honest why would they give 50% two times instead of just giving 100% one time.  It's the word bi-annual that is the problem here for me as far as making the assumption they are just keeping the other half.  The only thing I could think of would be they are putting the other 50% in a bond of some type so they can make interest off it before they give it away the second time.  If that is the case what they are doing is beyond sad because it is actually making a profit off of the death of his mother instead of making a memorial.

I think you might be reading it wrong.  50% of net profit is the most they give from any of their charity cash shop items.  In another offer that donates only 20% of the net profit the fine print is:

(NOTE: ***Portalarium will donate 20% of the net purchase price of this item to the designated charity on a bi-annual basis. Net purchase price is determined by subtracting any transaction service fees and/or platform service fees from the full purchase price paid by the customer)

They give a max of 50% or 20% or whatever the fine print on that particular charity cash shop item indicates and they only contribute the collected funds to the designated charities twice a year.