Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All you MMO newbs were warned about F2P. Yet you supported it.

madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
EA/Activision will now be setting you up in game to fail, or spend. Long gone are the competitive days. They have a new patent that will put you with people with very strong purchased items so that you fail and want to purchase it yourself. Their hope is you join, get raped. Buy a weapon to compete, do awesome against another person that was in the same situation as you previously, then group you yet again with someone who has stronger purchased in game items. Thus making you want to make another purchase.

I hope you are all happy! Lots of us warned you! Good luck in your "competitive" games going forward. Like F2P, you guys will support it and it will spread to other devs. 

I hope this leads to some really high end and excellent single player games.
GdemamiJeroKanedelete5230ScotGhavriggToodlesCecropiasetsua28Panther2103Amarantharand 21 others.

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Finally! For the past few years, each day I woke I would write emails, tweet and make YouTube vids on the glorious benefits of predatory monetization in the hopes that one day, ONE DAY, my works would offer something to the masses that matters.

I will now go to rest deeply like a bear who has gathered enough food for the winter. Don't wake me.
    Blaze_RockerBestinnaGolelornCecropiaTuor7MrMelGibson[Deleted User]Viper482GorweRobsolfand 1 other.
  • cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    meanwhile there are p2p games with p2w cash shops, p2w isn't a exclusive to f2p games.
    azarhalAnirethHarikenAmarantharAllerleirauhHatefullTheHavokPhaserlight
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I never supported F2P. Please don't consider me as part of this "All" group. Nothing on earth is free. F2P is just a way to rip off people even more.
    Gdemamidelete5230Moirae
  • snowman22snowman22 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    first off F2P and P4convenience games are an exercise in  self control. most players in the end spend less on a game when it is not a sub model. the reason it seems like such an issue right now is that MMO gaming has become content locusts so you end up spending $50 $75 on a mmo every month if not two MMOS. so again it is not the f2p stuff, it is the crap community and the MMO mills that pop out half asses games knowing they will only be money makers for 6 months.

Also to note the patent is for MOBA and battleground games which are not goddamn MMOs.... and yes i am using MMO to mean MMORPG meaning persistent worlds that do not have a time limit on them. 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    DMKano said:
    OP - just because there is a patent now - it doesn't mean that this as not been going on for years already.

Yup. What this patent describes has been going on in pretty much every mobile game on the market, not to mention that pretty much any Asian developed MMO always worked like that as well. Pay up or fail!

At least Activision isn't (aren't able to) hiding it anymore lol.
    [Deleted User]Hatefull
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    ciely said:
    meanwhile there are p2p games with p2w cash shops, p2w isn't a exclusive to f2p games.
    And there are B2P games that have p2w cash shops that make some F2P cash shops look positively benevolent.
    The problem is that the cash shops with P2W features has become more acceptable, but no matter how much we blame the publishers/developers the real culprits are those who buy such items in the first place, its just supply meeting demand, so no matter how egregious such things become, the only way it is going to stop, is when people stop giving them money to encourage it.
    [Deleted User]Hariken
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    If you thought F2P was supposed to be free, then you were warned.
    CazrielRobsolf

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Konfess said:
    If you thought F2P was supposed to be free, then you were warned.
    F2P effectively means free to download, playing the game, best keep that wallet handy :p
    Cazriel
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It will get worse, far worse... When games started with microtransactions it started on a path and I don't even think we are halfways on the way yet.
    Phry said:
    And there are B2P games that have p2w cash shops that make some F2P cash shops look positively benevolent.
    The problem is that the cash shops with P2W features has become more acceptable, but no matter how much we blame the publishers/developers the real culprits are those who buy such items in the first place, its just supply meeting demand, so no matter how egregious such things become, the only way it is going to stop, is when people stop giving them money to encourage it.
    Some F2P games are worse then others and the same thing can be said about B2P and P2P.

B2P games have generally not been pay2win though even if it seems EA is going there now.

But of course, if no-one or close to that buys stuff the games will have to change model. And stuff like lootboxes and similar will drop in profit after a bunch of games with it are out there. Most people have a limited budget to spend on games each month so soon when most games have lootboxes the actual profit of each game will drop and many people with more limited budget will play games without them or if all new games have them something old (which is zero profit or a few bucks at best).

DDO earned loads of cash when it was the first western F2P MMO. Today the income is spread around and MMOs don't earn the same amount of cash as 5 years ago in general (of course really good games still earn good profit but they will do that no matter the model unless they are most expensive to play then they are fun).

Regular item shops are on the way out too loot boxes now. Eventtually loot boxes will go out to the next thing,
    GdemamiScotPhryRobsolf
  • chukekle1chukekle1 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    BooHoo, cry me a river. F2P is going no were and you can cry about it all you want, F2P is the present and the future of MMOs, enjoy
    KyleranPhrySector13LackingMMOcollektThupli
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It sucks for more competitive games like SW Battlefront 2.  For MMOs I don't "compete" so I get to play how I want.  Anyone thinking gambling wouldn't work its way into MMOs hasn't been playing them for a VERY long time.  I don't think they could be considered Noobs at this point.  There was always the skinner box from day one almost with RNG. . then loot boxes. . then buying keys that drop less.  EVERYTHING is designed to make money.  Gaming back in the day of Ultima IV etc. . maybe games were made for love and an audience.  Gaming was new.  That was never staying and is never coming back unless you go indie.  My opinion.  I hated it so so strongly.  I've moved on and enjoy games more now.  It is like letting go of CU and NGE for SWG. .  .we are part of a formula.  Just try to find out where you can best fit in.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    chukekle1 said:
    BooHoo, cry me a river. F2P is going no were and you can cry about it all you want, F2P is the present and the future of MMOs, enjoy

Ehh sure it's the present and future. But enjoy? Nope! I don't enjoy it and as such I have moved on and not playing these games.

The only MMO I am currently supporting is FFXIV and that's about it.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Just dont buy the items...... Nobody is forcing you to. Nobody is forcin you to do anything. You dont even have to play the game. You are naive and gullible if you think every game is just going to be f2p and p2w. Only a few will. The think i hate the most now is people supporting all these early access access and crowdfunding games.
    Sector13
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Not all F2P games are P2W.....Some of them only have Cosmetic Items, Account Upgrades and Expantions....
    PhrySector13
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Loke666 said:
    It will get worse, far worse... When games started with microtransactions it started on a path and I don't even think we are halfways on the way yet.
    Phry said:
    Some F2P games are worse then others and the same thing can be said about B2P and P2P.

B2P games have generally not been pay2win though even if it seems EA is going there now.

But of course, if no-one or close to that buys stuff the games will have to change model. And stuff like lootboxes and similar will drop in profit after a bunch of games with it are out there. Most people have a limited budget to spend on games each month so soon when most games have lootboxes the actual profit of each game will drop and many people with more limited budget will play games without them or if all new games have them something old (which is zero profit or a few bucks at best).

DDO earned loads of cash when it was the first western F2P MMO. Today the income is spread around and MMOs don't earn the same amount of cash as 5 years ago in general (of course really good games still earn good profit but they will do that no matter the model unless they are most expensive to play then they are fun).

Regular item shops are on the way out too loot boxes now. Eventtually loot boxes will go out to the next thing,

This is what I try to say in every post about these issues, this is a direction of travel not the final destination.

To the OP I think it is unfair to say it was only the "MMO newbs" that got us into this mess. There were plenty of players right from the start of F2P who were supporting it. Many if not most of the players of todays MMOs do not know what MMO's were like 15 years ago, even 10 years ago. So it is to be expected that they do not see how revenue system impacts on gameplay as easily as we do.
    SpottyGekkoGdemami
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    edited October 2017
    I like f2p
    KyleranChildoftheShadows
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited October 2017
    madazz said:

I hope this leads to some really high end and excellent single player games.
    It already has.

You just have to stop looking in the usual places because all you'll find is the same shit.

Change the criteria that defines what you're willing to play and you might just be surprised.
    Golelorn

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    My nephew just got some money for his birthday.  I asked him what he planned to do with it.  He showed me Overwatch and he said he spent all his money ($100) on lootboxes.  "Isn't this cool Uncle!  You get stuff in the boxes! If you buy me a PC I can play it there also!.

Ugg, I couldn't even respond I felt so ill. I just walked away. 
    cielyScotMrMelGibsonPhryJacobinCogohi
  • DjDriVerDjDriVer Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Consider this if you will...an example being WoW.  You pat $19 for World of Warcraft, then spend $15/month say for 4 yrs. Let's not forget the expansion every 2 yrs, which usually costs $50.  BAMM! you have just paid $820.00 for a game. go on, drive on down to Walmart and fork out $820.00 for a game, the wife will divorce you, not to mention having to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy the game at that price.  F2p may try to gank you with an item mall, but that is by choice.
    Toodles
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Sorry, I'm so noob.
    You tried to warn me but I didn't listen.

I'm so sorry T.T
    GolelornanemoMrMelGibson[Deleted User]CryomatrixAeliousPhryYashaX[Deleted User]Robsolfand 1 other.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    flizzer said:
    My nephew just got some money for his birthday.  I asked him what he planned to do with it.  He showed me Overwatch and he said he spent all his money ($100) on lootboxes.  "Isn't this cool Uncle!  You get stuff in the boxes! If you buy me a PC I can play it there also!.

Ugg, I couldn't even respond I felt so ill. I just walked away. 
    on the bright side you can talk to his parents about this and so they consider getting actual gifts instead of money so the kid doesn't make stupid decisions like this or teach him the importance of money.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Look at the gaming business model from 10 years ago, look at the gaming business model today.  Now imagine how it will look 10 years from now...
    ScotMrMelGibsonYashaXHarikenobii
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Talonsin said:
    Look at the gaming business model from 10 years ago, look at the gaming business model today.  Now imagine how it will look 10 years from now...
    It doesn't matter, you will be still here ranting regardless...
    MrMelGibsonpostlarvalRorhc
  • Enigma7337Enigma7337 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    edited October 2017
    DjDriVer said:
    Consider this if you will...an example being WoW.  You pat $19 for World of Warcraft, then spend $15/month say for 4 yrs. Let's not forget the expansion every 2 yrs, which usually costs $50.  BAMM! you have just paid $820.00 for a game. go on, drive on down to Walmart and fork out $820.00 for a game, the wife will divorce you, not to mention having to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy the game at that price.  F2p may try to gank you with an item mall, but that is by choice.
    This is an incredibly bad explanation.

4 years of being entertained for thousands of hours for only $820 is a steal.

You pay $40 just to see a movie that lasts measly a hour and half.

I can pay my $20 for a game and get 8 hours of entertainment in the first day, and then 20+ hours of entertainment for $15 for the rest of the month.

Gdemami[Deleted User]Tuor7MrMelGibsonpantaroR3d.GallowsQuizar1973Vermillion_RaventhalCogohi
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    chukekle1 said:
    Too bad we don't have a dick button
    CecropiaTalonsinCrazKanukTuor7AmarantharMrMelGibson