Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow Of War: microtransactions!

123457»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

I understand game developers are working and need to make money but at what point are the drivers for the company (the investors and CEO) getting greedy?

Activision - NET Revenue last year over 3 billion
    EA - NET revenue last year of almost a billion

When will it ever be enough? 
    fine, I'll just, um, yeah ... I'll just leave this here ...

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/03/052303.asp

and this ...

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/03/020703.asp
    People need to learn and educate thenselves on this subject ..So tried of that type of post ..

ATVI and EA are both publicly owned .. you would think that would be enough for people to understand but .........here we are again
    The industry has degraded to the point that AAA companies are selling P2W and resorting to special patented matchmaking technologies to try to subliminally entice customers into purchasing pixel prizes. Having to resort to these types of lowly tactics doesn't really inspire confidence for the longer term.

Wonder what they'll have left to resort to in another couple years to try to keep them earnings up.  
    YashaXNildenR3d.Gallows

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Year after year video game sales increase.  That means all these crying about MT, Dlc or whatever crying topic is cool are the minority. 

The little babies who find something to cry about anytime a new games comes out are more of a cancer to video games than MT could ever be.  The whiners are just desperate for approval and need upvotes to make them feel better. 

It's clear MT, Dlc and any other fake crying topics they bring up for any new game aren't going away.  So if you can't handle that fact find a new hobby it's that simple.  You may have been told by your elementary teachers or parents or read to many SJW training manuals but no you won't be changing anything here. 
    Can we add a GFY button? I don't think WTF or LoL covers cases like this.
    IselinSlapshot1188NildenGdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    YashaX said:
    Year after year video game sales increase.  That means all these crying about MT, Dlc or whatever crying topic is cool are the minority. 

The little babies who find something to cry about anytime a new games comes out are more of a cancer to video games than MT could ever be.  The whiners are just desperate for approval and need upvotes to make them feel better. 

It's clear MT, Dlc and any other fake crying topics they bring up for any new game aren't going away.  So if you can't handle that fact find a new hobby it's that simple.  You may have been told by your elementary teachers or parents or read to many SJW training manuals but no you won't be changing anything here. 
    Can we add a GFY button? I don't think WTF or LoL covers cases like this.
    Clearly shows the mentality on that side of the fence doesn't it?
    JeffSpicoliMadFrenchieNildenGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

I understand game developers are working and need to make money but at what point are the drivers for the company (the investors and CEO) getting greedy?

and this ...

People need to learn and educate thenselves on this subject ..So tried of that type of post ..

ATVI and EA are both publicly owned .. you would think that would be enough for people to understand but .........here we are again
    Should public companies then get a pass and never have their ethics or morality questioned just because they're public?

It sounds like you and Sorvath are trying to say that their public nature exempts them from being thought of as greedy... or that greed doesn't exists in a public company context. Is that about the size of it?
    There's a difference between "noting how things are" and standing there cheering them on whenever they do something people don't like.

So yeah, do you scrutinize every investment, mutual fund, retirement fund that you have invested in and make sure they are "making just enough money"?

Because, though some people only invest in socially conscious companies, most people don't as it's just easier to set up your monthly investment or have your stock broker or bank take care of everything.

It sounds ridiculous when people say "when is it enough money" for a publicly traded company. Because even if they follow every law and rule they still exist to make investors money. It's like complaining that water is wet or the sun is hot.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

and this ...

Should public companies then get a pass and never have their ethics or morality questioned just because they're public?

It sounds like you and Sorvath are trying to say that their public nature exempts them from being thought of as greedy... or that greed doesn't exists in a public company context. Is that about the size of it?
    There's a difference between "noting how things are" and standing there cheering them on whenever they do something people don't like.

So yeah, do you scrutinize every investment, mutual fund, retirement fund that you have invested in and make sure they are "making just enough money"?

Because, though some people only invest in socially conscious companies, most people don't as it's just easier to set up your monthly investment or have your stock broker or bank take care of everything.

It sounds ridiculous when people say "when is it enough money" for a publicly traded company. Because even if they follow every law and rule they still exist to make investors money. It's like complaining that water is wet or the sun is hot.

As a matter of fact when I had my investor hat on I did make a choice many decades ago to go with a mutual fund that was created by my credit union specifically with ethical concerns in the forefront. Appropriately enough the family of funds is called Ethical Funds :) It's done quite well for me.

But that's neither here nor there when I wear my consumer hat. It's a different hat. It's the one I wear when I shop for anything and the one that helps me chose for example, where I buy my computer components when I'm building or upgrading because I'm always looking for bang for the buck and those bucks can easily be many more if I buy from the wrong places.

Gaming prices to me - and to most of us here since this isn't an investment forum, are also something that I use my consumer hat for. In this context yeah, you bet your ass that there is such a thing as enough dollars that need to be spent beyond which point I feel like the greedy bastards are gouging. As a consumer I could give less of a shit whether it's Scrooge McDuck profiting from the gouging or my aunt Felicia - it's just fucking gouging to me.
    MadFrenchieYashaXGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2017
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

and this ...

As a matter of fact when I had my investor hat on I did make a choice many decades ago to go with a mutual fund that was created by my credit union specifically with ethical concerns in the forefront. Appropriately enough the family of funds is called Ethical Funds :) It's done quite well for me.

But that's neither here nor there when I wear my consumer hat. It's a different hat. It's the one I wear when I shop for anything and the one that helps me chose for example, where I buy my computer components when I'm building or upgrading because I'm always looking for bang for the buck and those bucks can easily be many more if I buy from the wrong places.

Gaming prices to me - and to most of us here since this isn't an investment forum, are also something that I use my consumer hat for. In this context yeah, you bet your ass that there is such a thing as enough dollars that need to be spent beyond which point I feel like the greedy bastards are gouging. As a consumer I could give less of a shit whether it's Scrooge McDuck profiting from the gouging or my aunt Felicia - it's just fucking gouging to me.
    interesting.

I have a rather rare criteria when buying games (at least rarely read about on forums)  and that is, does the game look fun.
    Thats it, full stop.
    Many people buy games for what they feel is ethical reasons ranging from how often a developer communicates, to price, to how the game makes its money.

For me even the seemingly most basic aspect (price) almost never plays a role in my game purchasing choices. That said, I usually play the games I buy rather than buying randomly just because they are on sale.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

and this ...

interesting.

I have a rather rare criteria when buying games (at least rarely read about on forums)  and that is, does the game look fun.
    Thats it, full stop.
    Many people buy games for what they feel is ethical reasons ranging from how often a developer communicates, to price, to how the game makes its money.

For me even the seemingly most basic aspect (price) almost never plays a role in my game purchasing choices. That said, I usually play the games I buy rather than buying randomly just because they are on sale.

Of course Sean. I wouldn't be looking at it in the first place if I didn't think it would be fun. Does that even need saying?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

interesting.

Thats it, full stop.

Of course Sean. I wouldn't be looking at it in the first place if I didn't think it would be fun. Does that even need saying?
    yes I think it does. and here is why.

What I have found on internet forums is a surplus of conversation NOT about game play. We tend to talk about everything else other than actual game play. For me I would find talking about actual game play to be far more interesting. But I understand that is just my opinion

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Oh well, at least Blizzard patented their aids, so I have less chance of running into it in a game like UT4.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

and this ...

interesting.

Thats it, full stop.

Agreed.  Fun is the first question: then I move onto whether or not it looks fun enough to warrant the initial pricetag. From there, I consider any residual expenditures reference microstransactions or other continued payments and I ask myself, for a second time: is it fun enough to deal with that shit?

My purchase requires a yes on all counts.
    PhryGdemami

SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:

interesting.

Thats it, full stop.

What I have found on internet forums is a surplus of conversation NOT about game play. We tend to talk about everything else other than actual game play. For me I would find talking about actual game play to be far more interesting. But I understand that is just my opinion
    You're in the wrong place for that. If you want to talk about a game's game play - especially a single player game, you go to that game's forums. There is some talk about game play here but there's also a lot more like for example, whether the Oculus Rift will one day rule the world.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2017
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:

interesting.

Thats it, full stop.

You're in the wrong place for that. If you want to talk about a game's game play - especially a single player game, you go to that game's forums. There is some talk about game play here but there's also a lot more like for example, whether the Oculus Rift will one day rule the world.
    trust me...I have, for years. 

Its the same everywhere. 
    People dont like talking about game play. I get it, I am a minority and I am not about to change, I find game play conversation more interesting, I understand you do not. and you asked if I think it should be stated and I think the answer to that question is yes for the reasons I have stated.

is this really an argument we are about to have?

please think it thru, are you taking the position that talking about game play in Pub MMORPG forums is not really something one should do? because that is where this debate is headed

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

and this ...

Well, first of all that's awesome.

It still doesn't change the fact that publicly traded companies have to make money. That's what they do. And they are going to jump on any "train" that takes them to "we'reinthemoneyville".

As far as "my consumer hat" I'm ok with Aunt Felicia making money as she needs it for retirement.

I suppose I don't have that "omg I'm being gouged" reaction. More like the "meh, it's just not worth it" reaction.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:

and this ...

Well, first of all that's awesome.

It still doesn't change the fact that publicly traded companies have to make money. That's what they do. And they are going to jump on any "train" that takes them to "we'reinthemoneyville".

As far as "my consumer hat" I'm ok with Aunt Felicia making money as she needs it for retirement.

I suppose I don't have that "omg I'm being gouged" reaction. More like the "meh, it's just not worth it" reaction.

It doesn't have to me "OMG" or "meh" - there's a lot of room in the middle. Heck as much as I dislike loot boxes, I can play a game that has them if I can totally ignore them without adverse game play effect. But I'm not a fan of long grinds so if a grind is made extra obnoxious to add incentive to buy more in a game that is already buy to play, no fucking way I will tolerate that - that's just a deal breaker.

It's also why I avoid F2P games unless they have a sub option that gets rid of artificial game play inconveniences. It's routine and understandable why F2P games structure their inconveniences the way they do. But the same shit is creeping into B2P games. I draw the line there without needing to say "OMG."
    MadFrenchieGdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Such an overrated game. Extremely repetitive. More so than many MMO's with back and forth fetch quests.

The landscape also makes no sense. "Oh look, random scaffolding leading to nowhere!!". 

Great combat, funny lines, awesome graphics. But repetitive as FUCK.
    YashaX