Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the overall lack of superhero games?

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    MikeB said:
    We do have Avengers Project in the pipe. Not a whole lot of info on it, though. Disney's just recently started shifting focus away from mobile games on Star Wars/Marvel over the last two years or so. It's gonna take a while to spin some of these projects up, but they're coming.

I'm looking forward to seeing what pops up over the next couple of years. I've been getting my fix on mobile, but it's not ideal.

I was going to tell you to wash your mouth out with soap, but then I just felt sorry for you and glad I have not yet descended to the gutter of mobile games. :D
    Blaze_RockerTalonsin
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Superman (1978)  Christopher Reeves...the Superman.
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    I even whould start gaming again if one Good  super mmo was released.
    those that are is too soft shiny happy happy for me. Dcuo was ok. 
    But has fallen into the greed pit as many others. As IF we customers whouldnt notice.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited October 2017
    I cant speak for others, but superhero games have very little appeal to me because they are one trick pony characters.

The flash is just super fast, batman has gadgets, spiderman is very strong and can use spider stuff, superman ok he has flight superstrength x-ray sight invulnerability, etc.

Compare that to what a wizard, cleric or druid gets in Dungeons & Dragons.

P.s.: Oh and I'm talking about D&D, AD&D, or D&D3.x. The versions of D&D that came after, I have really lost interest because IMHO they pretty much killed the original idea. Even D&D3.5 was already not really an improvement of D&D3, and D&D4 was just riddiculous to me.

Anyway thats the level of complexity that fantasy MMOs get. What do you get in a Superhero game ? If its a good one, good swining mechanics in a game of Spiderman etc. IMHO that doesnt really compare.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I cant speak for others, but superhero games have very little appeal to me because they are one trick pony characters.

The flash is just super fast, batman has gadgets, spiderman is very strong and can use spider stuff, superman ok he has flight superstrength x-ray sight invulnerability, etc.

P.s.: Oh and I'm talking about D&D, AD&D, or D&D3.x. The versions of D&D that came after, I have really lost interest because IMHO they pretty much killed the original idea. Even D&D3.5 was already not really an improvement of D&D3, and D&D4 was just riddiculous to me.

Anyway thats the level of complexity that fantasy MMOs get. What do you get in a Superhero game ? If its a good one, good swining mechanics in a game of Spiderman etc. IMHO that doesnt really compare.

Sounds like you're just talking about single-player superhero games. Doesn't sound like you ever tried City of Heroes or Champions Online. They were a bit more than a "one trick pony" game.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I find the good ones are far from a one trick pony. And those gadgets pretty much let them do anything a wizard can do.

Here is a list of powers available from the speedforce:

-          Run fast

-          Stamina

-          Reflexes

-          Agility

-          Healing

-          Aerokinesis (using air to levitate)

-          Electrokinesis (using electricity), electromagnetism, electroblast

-          Enhanced mental process

-          Increased perception

-          Durability

-          Energy Construct creation

-          Infinite mass punch

-          Share the speed force

-          Speed mind

-          Vibration manipulation (counter earthquakes, shatter people, objects…), molecular acceleration

-          Weather control (twisters, hurricanes)

-          Accelerate/slow time

-          Age manipulation

-          Creating avatars

-          Atomic inhibition – making anything immovable

-          Travel through time

-          Travel to other dimensions

-          Motion and progression ranging to acceleration, time, space, momentum, development, even evolution and enlightenment to name a few. (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Force)

-          Photographic memory (http://screenrant.com/flash-speed-force-trivia-facts-explained/)

-          Fly (http://screenrant.com/flash-speed-force-trivia-facts-explained/)

Almost god like.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    marvel heroes was pretty good until their recent shift to console and loot boxes. Well, all good things ... you guys know the saying. 
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

I find the good ones are far from a one trick pony. And those gadgets pretty much let them do anything a wizard can do.

-          Run fast

-          Stamina

-          Reflexes

-          Agility

-          Healing

-          Durability

-          Speed mind

-          Vibration manipulation (counter earthquakes, shatter people, objects…), molecular acceleration

-          Motion and progression ranging to acceleration, time, space, momentum, development, even evolution and enlightenment to name a few. (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Force)

-          Photographic memory (http://screenrant.com/flash-speed-force-trivia-facts-explained/)

-          Fly (http://screenrant.com/flash-speed-force-trivia-facts-explained/)

Almost god like.

Lets not forget, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    Not to mention, Hero games can have magic, and orcs, and knights . . . pretty much anything.
    Keep in mind, the users on this site tend to favour fantasy, grindy, forced grouping games more than the general population. ;)
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    edited October 2017
    batman has gadgets....

Because wizards and clerics having spells that do tons of things is totally more varied that what Batman can do with his gadgets that do tons of things.

If you want complexity in a pnp superhero RPG go and learn Champions and then come back and tell me how simplistic it is compared to D&D.

If you think fantasy MMORPGs offered more in complexity your point has legitimacy if you are talking about games such as Ultima Online or Everquest in comparison to Marvel Heroes and perhaps DCUO (this is a bit harder to say, as much of the complexity in that game is how what they have interacts as opposed to the sheer volume of systems and abilities).

If you think it so in comparison to City of Heroes and Champions Online, it is clear your knowledge of those games is inadequate to make accurate statements about them.

-          Run fast

-          Stamina

-          Reflexes

-          Agility

-          Healing

-          Durability

-          Speed mind

Almost god like.

You know a real one-trick pony DC hero.. Green Lantern!

All he can do is make light constructs!

(of virtually anything, that allow him to do virtually anything)
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 412
    Well, basically they have and are making super hero games, but they stick with the safe choices, the heroes that have the least "over the top" abilities, the most humanity. They've made 3 really good Batman games (Arkham series) and Sony is making an AAA Spiderman game as we speak (due out early 2018). The problem with heroes like superman is making the movie "believeable" - you can't have 2000 super villains in one game
    Eldrach said:
    Well, basically they have and are making super hero games, but they stick with the safe choices, the heroes that have the least "over the top" abilities, the most humanity. They've made 3 really good Batman games (Arkham series) and Sony is making an AAA Spiderman game as we speak (due out early 2018). The problem with heroes like superman is making the movie "believeable" - you can't have 2000 super villains in one game
    I just realized my focus was far too narrow as I failed to note the scope of discussion, so was limiting my perspective superhero MMORPGs and MMOs.

Most superhero action games are as you describe.

Superman games don't need tons of villains to be believable. The challenge he must overcome simply has to be other than just comparative power.

The first Christopher Reeve movie had a good example of a situation that could be well used in a game. Two nuclear missiles are launched concurrently by Lex Luthor, and within the constraints of the story Superman only had time to stop one. Of course, he later got around that anyway.

Let us suppose instead  that in a game with a similar situation, two choices where he can take only one, but each drives the story and the game itself on a different path. A series of such choices, each branching into two, with perhaps some converging until until it concludes could lead to an interesting game.

Of course, the is an extremely contrived scenario. Fortunately, it is something the aforementioned Lex Luthor may well be inclined to do, and has the intelligence and resources to pull it off. And, after all, contrivance would be comics' middle name if they could have one.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited October 2017
    You might count modern back to 1989 in the context of superhero movies. I do not. I would place it where it conceptually switched from movies (and TV shows) to cinematic universes in terms of public awareness.
    Yeah, that's why I counted only MCU (and pointed out that even that started way before CoH's close), because I assumed you ment that. But, it doesn't make your statement any more correct :wink:  You said:
    "The most popular superhero MMORPG released to date shut down before the plethora of superhero movies was a thing."
    It isn't correct even if only counts the MCU movies before 2012, but if you look at the bigger picture, the movies during the lifetime of CoH (and a bit before, let's say from 2000), not all just the few I can recite now:
    the X-men movies, plus First Class and Wolverine,
    the SpiderTobey movies, and I think the Spider Garfield too, at least the first one (man, those were some shitty movies :wink: )
    the two Fantastic Four movies
    Daredevil + Electra (I think we can all agree that Affleck is much better in the bat suit :smiley: but MCD was an awesome Kingpin)
    Hulk (the Ang Lee version)
    Man-Thing

and from the DC side:
    Superman returned, and RR grabbed the green ring just to be a shitty Lantern (but at least it was the source of a joke for his Deadpool). And on the smaller screen Arrow just started before CoH's close.
    That's more than 15 movies in 12 years, plus the MCU movies, and the ones I forgot to add (I'm sure there were a few more). How much is the entry barrier of "plethora"? :smiley:

CO didn't exactly wow the fans of superhero MMORPGs upon release, and apparently wasn't all that attractive to Marvel either that had already lost interest before that.
    Actually it was the other way around... I'm not saying it has anything to do with the split, or MCU, just the chronology could fuel some weird theories :wink: Cryptic starts to work on an MMO with Marvel, then (more than a year in production already) Feige steps in, Marvel backs out from the project, and they announce that Iron Man won't be just a standalone movie, but the starter of MCU...

marvel heroes was pretty good until their recent shift to console and loot boxes. Well, all good things ... you guys know the saying. 

Cash shops, loot boxes always the start of the end Nari. :)
    Kyleran
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I ahve not read through this thread but I would imagine that most game companies are worried they might step on a Marvel or DC copyright.  Wasnt there a stink at one time in CoH over a copyright issue with marvel?  As a game developer you are better off staying away from this genre.  The people who currently hold all the rights are very litigious.

https://www.engadget.com/2005/12/14/marvel-vs-city-of-heroes-lawsuit-settled/
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    I ahve not read through this thread but I would imagine that most game companies are worried they might step on a Marvel or DC copyright.  Wasnt there a stink at one time in CoH over a copyright issue with marvel?  As a game developer you are better off staying away from this genre.  The people who currently hold all the rights are very litigious.

https://www.engadget.com/2005/12/14/marvel-vs-city-of-heroes-lawsuit-settled/

Quite true, but the case went against Marvel, a good precedent for those with concerns about Supers gaming. Maybe we would not have this thread if Marvel or DC got of their arses and made a new MMO?
    Po_gg said:
    You might count modern back to 1989 in the context of superhero movies. I do not. I would place it where it conceptually switched from movies (and TV shows) to cinematic universes in terms of public awareness.
    Yeah, that's why I counted only MCU (and pointed out that even that started way before CoH's close), because I assumed you ment that. But, it doesn't make your statement any more correct :wink:  You said:
    "The most popular superhero MMORPG released to date shut down before the plethora of superhero movies was a thing."
    It isn't correct even if only counts the MCU movies before 2012, but if you look at the bigger picture, the movies during the lifetime of CoH (and a bit before, let's say from 2000), not all just the few I can recite now:
    the X-men movies, plus First Class and Wolverine,
    the SpiderTobey movies, and I think the Spider Garfield too, at least the first one (man, those were some shitty movies :wink: )
    the two Fantastic Four movies
    Daredevil + Electra (I think we can all agree that Affleck is much better in the bat suit :smiley: but MCD was an awesome Kingpin)
    Hulk (the Ang Lee version)
    Man-Thing

and from the DC side:
    Superman returned, and RR grabbed the green ring just to be a shitty Lantern (but at least it was the source of a joke for his Deadpool). And on the smaller screen Arrow just started before CoH's close.
    That's more than 15 movies in 12 years, plus the MCU movies, and the ones I forgot to add (I'm sure there were a few more). How much is the entry barrier of "plethora"? :smiley:

CO didn't exactly wow the fans of superhero MMORPGs upon release, and apparently wasn't all that attractive to Marvel either that had already lost interest before that.
    Actually it was the other way around... I'm not saying it has anything to do with the split, or MCU, just the chronology could fuel some weird theories :wink: Cryptic starts to work on an MMO with Marvel, then (more than a year in production already) Feige steps in, Marvel backs out from the project, and they announce that Iron Man won't be just a standalone movie, but the starter of MCU...

You're correct in that the MCU started before the closure of CoH. Chronology obviously isn't my strong suit. Since I put modern superhero movies at the start of MCU, due to a shift in intent from simply putting out Marvel related movies to a grander plan I'm not considering previous titles. Since DC is now following suit, I will consider the constraints of time for their modern movies to be likewise. For television is seems that they are taking a different approach, with Marvel having their shows in the same universe as the movies and DC seemingly not.

By the time of release CO had a license based on the universe of Champions from Hero Games. Clearly then, as I said, Marvel lost interest before players had a chance to even try it. Since your own timeline says essentially the same I don't see how it was the other way around from what I originally stated.

Regardless, the inspiration and foundation of all of it, games and movies both, were the comics themselves that started back in the 30s.

By the way, I found you were correct that every decade since superhero comics began their characters have had a presence in movie theaters (though not necessarily as movies.) That presence wasn't all that consistent however, but is certainly at a high point currently.
    Scot said:

Cash shops, loot boxes always the start of the end Nari. :)

Not for warframe .. thank god :)
    Kyleran
    i want a superhero game in a dark dark gritty shitty city, where im the villain.
    but all superhero games is so cheesy.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    syltmacka said:
    i want a superhero game in a dark dark gritty shitty city, where im the villain.
    So something more along the lines of Sin City or the Watchmen perhaps?
    syltmacka

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    By the time of release CO had a license based on the universe of Champions from Hero Games. Clearly then, as I said, Marvel lost interest before players had a chance to even try it. Since your own timeline says essentially the same I don't see how it was the other way around from what I originally stated.
    I think it was my not-really clear english to blame :wink: 
    My comment wasn't on Marvel losing interest or not, and when. Surely they did, back in 2007. My original comment was about the rumor/theory that they ditched the MMO for focusing more on MCU.
    (and added the sidenote that with sticking to the plan they could've both sides profiting from the event, something like a collaboration between SyFy and Trion when launched Defiance both as a game and a show.)

The link @Talonsin posted can also be a nice piece of the puzzle, since it happened not long before they started the work, so the not-so-favorable outcome of the lawsuit could've been a trigger too: they might thought that by having an own MMO they could defend their copyrighted material better.
    This also could explain the heavy restrictions Cryptic kept in the game even after Marvel has left them, maybe they had some settlement for protecting the rights of Marvel.
    Kyleran said:
    syltmacka said:
    So something more along the lines of Sin City or the Watchmen perhaps?

yup :)

edited October 2017
    Po_gg said:

My comment wasn't on Marvel losing interest or not, and when. Surely they did, back in 2007. My original comment was about the rumor/theory that they ditched the MMO for focusing more on MCU.
    (and added the sidenote that with sticking to the plan they could've both sides profiting from the event, something like a collaboration between SyFy and Trion when launched Defiance both as a game and a show.)

The MCU made billions. Even their smaller movies are now grossing 600+M world wide, and the good ones grossed like $1B. Not to mention, they are making 3 movies a year.

They would be idiotic for them to pay attention to MMOs, unless they think they can make a few WoWs a year. Given the state of MMOs, why would they even bother?
    MadFrenchie
  • MudHekketMudHekket Member UncommonPosts: 87
    City of Heroes and City of Villains were awesome. I guess not everyone agreed, because they don't exist any more.

Personally, I do not want a game that is attached to an IP and I have zero interest in playing someone else's character. I want maximum freedom to create my own idiosyncratic and freaky character and to run around with other people's idiosyncratic and freaky characters - not ten clones of Iron Man.

It is probably only fair to add that almost never did missions in City of Heroes or City of Villains. Rather than following preset stories, I just bounced around fighting crime in the city.
  • ParagonianParagonian Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I shed a single tear...

syltmacka said:
    Clearly you never played City of Villains, the other half of the "City of" super-powered MMO that NCsoft shut down. It sounds like you would've liked it.

Champions Online really isn't that bad if you want a super hero fix. It has some cheesy ambience, and the graphics might take some tweaking to match your personal tastes, but the action and variety is there.