Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - M

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money. Sad. I hope that team is held accountable.
    wait .. wait.. are you saying that thieves got cheated out of there money .. You have got to kidding me ..

And you want the team of bigger thieves to be accountable .. ???

Sorry Torv , they all get what they deserve here
    I do think the dirty pirates that stole money deserve to held accountable, legally. I don't think the money should be returned to anyone. Both parties being wrong doesn't mean the admin team should be let off. They shouldn't.

The justice isn't for the people that got cheated. They did get the consequences of their choice. The justice is for a society that shouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior. It's to send message on principle that we should be behaving better and those that break laws will be punished.
    Then why you feel bad for those players ..They got what they deserve .. Actually would be a bonus if they got there identity stolen, beings they advocate stealing ..

"I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money"

Rarely is there much sympathy for the devil.

>:) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    While I'm all for holding accountability and repercussions, going so far as to wish for further laws being broken to simply spite folks who have previously broken laws...  /rollseyes

Vent your frustration for the world in general at the gym or something.
    Kyleran

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    While I'm all for holding accountability and repercussions, going so far as to wish for further laws being broken to simply spite folks who have previously broken laws...  /rollseyes

Sorry brother , if someone wants to be a thief , and lay down with more thieves and then fund the thieves by purchasing gold from there gold selling service , I hope they get burnt .. badly ..
    ForgrimmKyleran
    edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:

Sorry brother , if someone wants to be a thief , and lay down with more thieves and then fund the thieves by purchasing gold from there gold selling service , I hope they get burnt .. badly ..
    By having further laws be broken?  Where's the sense in that?  The punishment should befit the crime, not some misguided malicious wishes from someone who is simply watching something happen.

Hell, most if the world won't even put to death murderers anymore because eye for an eye has been deemed a barbaric system of punishment.

Scorchien said:

By having further laws be broken?  Where's the sense in that?  The punishment should befit the crime, not some misguided malicious wishes from someone who is simply watching something happen.

Hell, most if the world won't even put to death murderers anymore because eye for an eye has been deemed a barbaric system of punishment.
    Well im not simply watching , these servers and people that play on them in my eyes steal from me ..  Im protecting my investments ..

And just to add some of these Private servers have already been linked to Identity Theft scams , Some are set up specifically to access peoples financial info thru gold sevrvices for that reason only .. Not to give people Vanilla Wow .. lmao

But lets keep supporting these bottom feeding scumbags
    edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Well im not simply watching , these servers and people that play on them in my eyes steal from me ..  Im protecting my investments ..

And just to add some of these Private servers have already been linked to Identity Theft scams , Some are set up specifically to access peoples financial info thru gold sevrvices for that reason only .. Not to give people Vanilla Wow .. lmao

Support?  I'm not supporting breaking the law, my views pretty much align with the post of @Torval's that I awesomed and with the likes of Constantine and Iselin- I've pirated music and played on private servers before.  I don't have any qualms calling it what it is, I knew the risks going into doing both.

That's still no reason to wish future ill by having other thieves break even more laws and attempt to exploit individuals for vastly more financial deamage than you, me, Suzie, and everyone else here knows Blizzard endures because of private vanilla servers (which is pretty much pocket change to Blizzard, if that).  It's not equitable to wish some grandiose malice.  It just reeks of "they broke the rules, so I wanna watch them burn!" That's not a equitable punishment; that's you getting your rocks off spiting others.

Whenever you can prove your own shit doesn't stink, then you can lay legitimate claim to the idea that you should be the arbiter of every petty lawbreaker's destruction.  Until then, let's keep it realistic and apropos to the actions taken, yes?

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Support?  I'm not supporting breaking the law, my views pretty much align with the post of @Torval's that I awesomed and with the likes of Constantine and Iselin- I've pirated music and played on private servers before.  I don't have any qualms calling it what it is, I knew the risks going into doing both.

That's still no reason to wish future ill by having other thieves break even more laws and attempt to exploit individuals for vastly more financial deamage than you, me, Suzie, and everyone else here knows Blizzard endures because of private vanilla servers (which is pretty much pocket change to Blizzard, if that).  It's not equitable to wish some grandiose malice.  It just reeks of "they broke the rules, so I wanna watch them burn!" That's not a equitable punishment; that's you getting your rocks off spiting others.
    Yea saw that post to and responded to it .. .. here ....

Well , thats all well and good Torv , accept Blizz is not this giant corp monster that many want to portray them as..

They are a Public co. owned by Hundered of thousnads of investors , who they have to answer to .. There Data does not support the stance that these servers would be profitable and the backers agree ,They cant go into throwing other peoples money around with callous disregard to the people that help build there Trademark ..

The workable solution is not workable in there opinion which i would trust as they have made the right decisions for investors for 15 years now ..

They are not self serving at all , they are serving the Investors , Who, the backs of there success actually rest ..
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/468900/elysium-private-server-shuts-down-temporarily-due-to-financial-shenanigans-world-of-warcraft-m/p5#bHQXKp8BJAc32etT.99

MadFrenchie
    edited October 2017
    Whenever you can prove your own shit doesn't stink, then you can lay legitimate claim to the idea that you should be the arbiter of every petty lawbreaker's destruction.  Until then, let's keep it realistic and apropos to the actions taken, yes?
    I dont have to prove anything .. But i know what stealing is and was raised well enough to not do it , This is realistic , And if someone makes a concious decison to steal they deserve whatever they get in my eyes...
    MadFrenchie
    Well scorchien, I'm not attempting to be overly abrasive to you about it, just think it's a net loss to wish ill beyond what's appropriate for the action taken.  Most who play on private servers likely understood they were doing something outside the law.  They just also knew how small a potato it is in the grand scheme of Blizzard's pocketbook.

edited October 2017
      Ahh man , the entire thing angers me ... .. Its not just Blizz pocket this is the problem with the thinking ..

There are hundreds of thousands of invested , Hell the irony is that someone you even know may be invested, or there 401K could be invested in it ...

They are stealing from them .. 
    MadFrenchie
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yeah Blizzards WOW has declined from what a great game it once was, its time for Blizzards version of WOW to go already, and a new World OF warcraft to be developed, the movie CGI was great now they just need to come out with World OF Warcraft 2, all new game engine, character models etc.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

They are not self serving at all , they are serving the Investors , Who, the backs of there success actually rest ..
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/468900/elysium-private-server-shuts-down-temporarily-due-to-financial-shenanigans-world-of-warcraft-m/p5#bHQXKp8BJAc32etT.99

Scorch

Without the customer you got shit.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Scorch

Well of course i realize that , its a 2 way street , but from some of the posts reagarding ATVI you wouldnt think so , Now would you ..

And there are also people that have invested in Blizz for a very long time making it possible for them to deliver the games we all love ..

They are not just some corporate monster , to the contrary there are alot of really great people there who just want to make great games ..

Id say to date they have done quite well in both regards for the consumer and investor ..

They have delivered literally 10 of millions of gaming hours to the consumer , and help 10 of thousands of people have comfort in there retirement an feel secure in there investment .. thats a win win ..

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.

BruceYee
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorch

Well of course i realize that , its a 2 way street , but from some of the posts reagarding ATVI you wouldnt think so , Now would you ..

And there are also people that have invested in Blizz for a very long time making it possible for them to deliver the games we all love ..

They are not just some corporate monster , to the contrary there are alot of really great people there who just want to make great games ..

Id say to date they have done quite well in both regards for the consumer and investor ..

They have delivered literally 10 of millions of gaming hours to the consumer , and help 10 of thousands of people have comfort in there retirement an feel secure in there investment .. thats a win win ..

And none of that was realistically affected in any substantial manner by a private vanilla server.

Even Blizzard sees it as a waste of time to spend resources attempting to do anything other than make a show of a server here and there.  They know it's not having any significant noticeable effect on their profits.  If there were any truth to the idea that a vanilla private server was causing live WoW to hemorrhage players, we'd have seen it by now.

Whether some want to admit it or not, the experiences are far too different at this point for it to have any real effect on the popularity of live WoW, save for the PR effect.  Even that hasn't really been shown to have any real detriment to the bottom line.

Morality police it if you like, I'm not arguing that it's somehow legal or something.  But all this hoopla and sabre-rattling is quite literally over something that Blizzard themselves (and their investors) don't really give two shits about because it has no real effect on them.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scorchien said:
      Ahh man , the entire thing angers me ... .. Its not just Blizz pocket this is the problem with the thinking ..

There are hundreds of thousands of invested , Hell the irony is that someone you even know may be invested, or there 401K could be invested in it ...

They are stealing from them .. 
    But if you pay an official World of Warcraft sub while you choose to play on a private server, then Blizzard loses nothing from you.  That's what I did for a while.  The WoW Blizzard is offering is shit right now, so why am I going to play on their servers?
    So you were in a committed relationship with Blizzard already then they add some age so you went to find the younger virgi... sorry vanilla version for your own selfish pleasures? Man you certainly know how to put a positive spin on cheating! ;)
    KumaponMadFrenchieAelious
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Current WoW and Vanilla WoW are like two completely different games which is why these guys were able to do what they did for so long.

Blizzard should realize that some people just don't like current WoW just like many do not like D3 and would much rather play D2 if they could.
    Gdemami
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    BruceYee said:
    Current WoW and Vanilla WoW are like two completely different games which is why these guys were able to do what they did for so long.

Blizzard should realize that some people just don't like current WoW just like many do not like D3 and would much rather play D2 if they could.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/d2/
    [Deleted User]

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I always said devs of private servers are pirates and that is perfectly fine to me.
    But this kind of shit happens when you put on the blindfold and hype a pirate to be a martyr.
    SBFord
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    BruceYee said:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/d2/
    Can you link me to Blizzards official Vanilla WoW servers though?
    Blizzard gives away several older games for free. That doesn't obligate them to give every version away for free or accommodate everyone. It also doesn't give people the right to steal something they feel entitled to because it's not being offered to them on their terms. Trying to justify a wrong doesn't make it right.

Say Blizz provides Vanilla servers, what next? I think Vanilla sucked and I personally want something post Wrath and Pre Cata. So do they need to provide an "every xpac" version of the game for everyone? That's just forking ridiculous.

MMOs are evolving worlds. That's why the old school games haven't stayed the same because players and devs evolved and those games incorporated those changes. If a changing world throws someone then MMOs aren't for them. They really should play single player static games because the "massively multiplayer" is only one aspect and feature of the genre. And I have bad news for those pinning all their hopes on the old school reboots. The same thing will happen to those games at the first content patch. They wont' be the same and at some point they'll change enough to incite the Luddites to don their torches and pitchforks once again.
    yeah exactly. MMOs are always changing, that is just how the genre is. The only MMOs that don't change are dead MMOs (like Ryzom or many other low pop MMOs)

And that is another point. Many people liked BC, but many people also liked WOTLK...a few even liked Cataclysm.

And then there is, lets say they just put in pure vanilla WoW...well vanilla WoW was very buggy and had so many glitches...are they expected to fix all of the problems? If not, imagine how much complaining there would be anyway from those demanding fixes and complaining about bugs. 

Are they expected to update it at all? Many will ask for new content...or above...ask for servers for each expansion

If blizzard did put up paid vanilla servers, would people play on them and pay for it? Or would they more likely play a pirated vanilla server because its free?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorch

And none of that was realistically affected in any substantial manner by a private vanilla server.

Even Blizzard sees it as a waste of time to spend resources attempting to do anything other than make a show of a server here and there.  They know it's not having any significant noticeable effect on their profits.  If there were any truth to the idea that a vanilla private server was causing live WoW to hemorrhage players, we'd have seen it by now.

Whether some want to admit it or not, the experiences are far too different at this point for it to have any real effect on the popularity of live WoW, save for the PR effect.  Even that hasn't really been shown to have any real detriment to the bottom line.

Morality police it if you like, I'm not arguing that it's somehow legal or something.  But all this hoopla and sabre-rattling is quite literally over something that Blizzard themselves (and their investors) don't really give two shits about because it has no real effect on them.
      Its not all about loss its also about protecting the IP. What Wow is ,the private servers change content, lore etc , The WOW trademark is being misrepresented .. ..

I mean lets say there is a group of kids that have never played wow , but another says "Hey come try this free private server "

And they dont like it .. Now the product has been misrepresented in a way that is negative to the trademark ..

Small example .. There are many ways to damage a Trademark by Abusing it .. ..

Your last paragraph is 100% false , this I know is 100% WRONG

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    The server is back up and running fine on Lightshopewow.org. If people like a challeging MMO that takes time, i recommend it. I never played Vanilla wow I started with WotlK and I am amazed at how great this game is. I played all through Legion and I can't play that crap anymore. Leveling is so boring, it is impossible to die, gear upgrades mean nothing, nor does food or potions. So for me this is the way to go. I wish Blizzard would make a legacy server but until they do I will play this.
    edited October 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorch

Its not all about loss its also about protecting the IP. What Wow is ,the private servers change content, lore etc , The WOW trademark is being misrepresented .. ..

I mean lets say there is a group of kids that have never played wow , but another says "Hey come try this free private server "

And they dont like it .. Now the product has been misrepresented in a way that is negative to the trademark ..

Small example .. There are many ways to damage a Trademark by Abusing it .. ..

Your last paragraph is 100% false , this I know is 100% WRONG

Do you have anything other than your opinion to support that assertion?

If investors only care about their money, and they see no real effect on their money, then why would they care?

I get the IP protection, that's why they made a show of a server.  We've since not heard a peep from Blizzard about any private server, vanilla or otherwise.  Because they don't want to spend any more time on it than is necessary to submit that "hey look, we made efforts to protect the IP."

In the end, the reality is, as Tamanous mentioned: there's a continuing demand for that particular server, and it's not going away simply because of internet shaming or the PR move Blizzard pulled with Nost.  So we can all circle back around to this same subject in another 6 months ad nauseum until WoW itself is a dying bird.  The only folks who have the power to change the ending to this story have made it clear they have no interest I doing so.  Cool beans, it's their baby.  But it only continues the cycle, too.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

edited October 2017
    The proof is in there action alone as they have shut down several sued for 88 mill and won another  ,C&D to many ... That proof that they care, i dont need to provide anymore , they are pretty active in this .. Wheres your proof they Dont care other than your opinion ...

And as an Investor with Blizz for over 15 years and have discussions with them and other investors , I can tell you it is a topic every year ..

I also know they care enough to actually  send people to these Private servers and gather all the info they can , For use in legal matters .