Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - M

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2017
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

People just don't care about right and wrong anymore and I find that sad.
    Starts at the top and works its way down.
    No it doesn't. Personal morality isn't the responsibility of another individual or corporation. It starts with each one of us and our choices from the inside out.
    When people see their government as corrupt and immoral... it all goes downhill from there.
    When corrupt self-serving individuals elect corrupt people to rule over them then they should set their expectations accordingly.
    No wonder voter turnout is so shitty, the honest voters abstain.
    I live in Oregon. Our vote doesn't matter anyway, even if you care.

We're over-simplifying a complicated issue. There's a lot of truth in every corner of it that's overlooked in the discussion. It may not be possible to do it justice or be worth the effort. I think it was @FrodoFragins who had a signature that went something to the effect, "For every complex problem there is a simple solution that is as wrong as it is simple." That happens a lot in discussions here in my opinion because the format doesn't lend itself well to having them.

I hope you find a good path through the trademark fiasco. That sort of stuff is exhausting to deal with.
    We do very much care.

What ever happens down there, has a big effect on what happens up here.

Socially and Economically.
    We care here too. That doesn't make our vote matter. It hasn't mattered, ever, and I can't see a feasible scenario where it does while the electoral system stays in place. That's just reality. That's why I say the issue is more complex than can be given justice.

What do you do in a democratic republic where your vote doesn't matter?

Regardless, it doesn't change the original premise that we're responsible for our own moral decisions. That goes back to the original topic that the free-love private server system isn't morally superior as was claimed during the Nost fiasco. They're not any better, or worse, than Blizzard. Here's why.

These people have stolen others work, cheated their users, lied about it, and have done so repeatedly throughout their history of doing this thing. Morally bankrupt and in no position to claim any high ground.

Blizzard while not responsible for the pirates actions or any of that mess could solve the issue. That doesn't make them culpable or bad with regards to any of the pirate activity, but it does show a callous disregard. There is a workable solution here that they could implement, but they won't. They're not obligated to because it's their thing, but they are also ginormous and have a profound impact on the industry. Their self-serving disregard for the rest of the gaming community and industry, the backs of which their success rests upon, shows them to be equally morally bankrupt. It's no win moral situation and neither side is willing to take the high ground.

I side with Blizzard because it's their stuff to do with as they please. That doesn't mean they get a moral pass or respect from. It means they're within their rights to do with their stuff as they please.
      Well , thats all well and good Torv , accept Blizz is not this giant corp monster that many want to portray them as..

They are a Public co. owned by Hundered of thousnads of investors , who they have to answer to .. There Data does not support the stance that these servers would be profitable and the backers agree ,They cant go into throwing other peoples money around with callous disregard to the people that help build there Trademark ..

The workable solution is not workable in there opinion which i would trust as they have made the right decisions for investors for 15 years now ..

They are not self serving at all , they are serving the Investors , Who, the backs of there success actually rest ..
    Sovrath
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

No it doesn't. Personal morality isn't the responsibility of another individual or corporation. It starts with each one of us and our choices from the inside out.
    When people see their government as corrupt and immoral... it all goes downhill from there.
    When corrupt self-serving individuals elect corrupt people to rule over them then they should set their expectations accordingly.

We're over-simplifying a complicated issue. There's a lot of truth in every corner of it that's overlooked in the discussion. It may not be possible to do it justice or be worth the effort. I think it was @FrodoFragins who had a signature that went something to the effect, "For every complex problem there is a simple solution that is as wrong as it is simple." That happens a lot in discussions here in my opinion because the format doesn't lend itself well to having them.

I hope you find a good path through the trademark fiasco. That sort of stuff is exhausting to deal with.
    We do very much care.

We care here too. That doesn't make our vote matter. It hasn't mattered, ever, and I can't see a feasible scenario where it does while the electoral system stays in place. That's just reality. That's why I say the issue is more complex than can be given justice.

Off topic (and flirting dangerously with political discussions)...

One of the more interesting ideas that our newly formed provincial coalition government (New Democratic Party + Greens) here in British Columbia has talked about is electoral reform to make the provincial government be reflective of popular vote: If a party gets 12% of the popular vote they would have 12% of the elected representatives.

Of course that would almost guarantee nothing but coalition governments going forward. But I like that - these old weasels tend to behave better when they have to worry about other old weasels from competing parties they have married for convenience pulling the rug out from under them.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

We do very much care.

One of the more interesting ideas that our newly formed provincial coalition government (New Democratic Party + Greens) here in British Columbia has talked about is electoral reform to make the provincial government be reflective of popular vote: If a party gets 12% of the popular vote they would have 12% of the elected representatives.

Of course that would almost guarantee nothing but coalition governments going forward. But I like that - these old weasels tend to behave better when they have to worry about other old weasels from competing parties they have married for convenience pulling the rug out from under them.
    Flirting? This post is a wet, sloppy kiss.  ;)
    Iselinlaserit[Deleted User]SBFord

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

We do very much care.

There's no good reason to continue using the kind of electoral system we use here in the States, except that it continues to assure the two major political parties keep a vicegrip on D.C..

Technology eliminated the need decades ago.
    [Deleted User]Iselin

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited October 2017
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

We do very much care.

It sounds good on paper, but it totally sucks for all those who do not live in the population centers. Our population is too centered in one tiny geographical area, all of the smaller communities would be pretty much voiceless.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

We do very much care.

It sounds good on paper, but it totally sucks for all those who do not live in the population centers.
    It would be in their best political interest to make sure that there are a few token rural MPs near the top of the party pecking order. Besides, local interest representation once they get to Victoria and form the government is more myth than reality.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scorchien said:

They are not self serving at all , they are serving the Investors , Who, the backs of there success actually rest ..
    Yeah, that's what our collectors chant to themselves as they repossess people's autos and homes, "For Shareholder Value!"

B)
    forcelima

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    So...about that political discussion....*coughs* nono *coughs*
    IselinlaseritMadFrenchieGhavrigg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited October 2017
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

We do very much care.

It sounds good on paper, but it totally sucks for all those who do not live in the population centers.
    It would be in their best political interest to make sure that there are a few token rural MPs near the top of the party pecking order. Besides, local interest representation once they get to Victoria and form the government is more myth than reality.
    Nationally we in the west were pretty much ignored, until very recently because a government was declared before they even started counting our western votes.

History has shown time and time again that politicians only care about where the votes come from.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

SBFord said:
    So...about that political discussion....*coughs* nono *coughs*
    Well I didn't start it, Ma. :)
    laseritKyleranJamesGoblinConstantineMerus

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323
    If blizzard saw that a classic server was worth the time and investment, they'd have done it by now. They don't go "ah yeah that classic server would make us millions! But lets not bother making it"...

...no, they more go "well a lot of people are playing these classic WoW servers, but we are pretty sure most people wouldn't pay for it and it wouldn't be worth the investment and resources to put into it"
    Not true. And I quote from their own devs, "You think you do, but you don't." It has very little to do with what will make them money. They HAVE money, that is for certain. It has more to do with them thinking they know what the players want, regardless of how much interest there is. They truly believe that players don't actually want it once they get a taste of it again. The devs go on to point of the unbalance of vanilla, the bugs, etc. They believe that the players who want a Vanillla server are blinded by nostalgia. I feel it is insulting and presumptuous to be told what we do and don't want by the devs. I fail to see how launching a true Vanilla server hurts anyone. Other MMO's have done it for a long time - heck, i'm playing on a progression server right now for Everquest and enjoying every minute of it.
    Gdemami
    Karnage69 said:
     It has more to do with them thinking they know what the players customers want
    Said every company ever. The successful ones actually do seem to know.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I enjoyed reading your funny posts, Blizzknights. Thanks for the tutorial in Morality 101.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gnog said:
    I enjoyed reading your funny posts, Blizzknights. Thanks for the tutorial in Morality 101.
    Condemning theft and cheating doesn't automatically mean defending the other party. Also, reading through the whole fiasco it seems many people do indeed need a tutorial in Morality 101 since a lot of people don't even understand the most basic things about decency or being a good human being, its kind of a lost thing these days apparently. Funny posts indeed.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited October 2017
    The dates they restored the database is in July for Darrowshire. Forget it not going back.

They just updated that to 20th September. I think its for the old servers which will most likely be empty because Light's Hope had close to 6k on their Elysium servers when they came on. The old servers are technically dead. Whitekidney did a good job by destroying the database.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Providing improved services for games will do far more to stop private servers than to shut them down using copyright laws. Internet services like steam have done far more to make people pay for regular copies compared to making intrusive DRM.

The core problem, Blizzard don't see enough money in providing vanilla wow servers. The majority of people would rather be on a quality server than dubious servers like nostalrius and elysium but Blizzard looks the other way.

Is it immoral to play on a private server? Since morals is more complex than right and wrong its hard to answer that question. However, according to the laws in my country its not explicitly illegal to play on a private server and my actions doesn't count as theft.

If blizzard had a legal option I would turn to them instead.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    The desire to want something doesn't make it neither moral or legal. 

I pirate a lot of crap, but I realize I am being a piece of shit for it. I don't justify it by saying well my orphan guests really really wanted to watch Story of O but it wasn't available on Netflix.

[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Who's being hurt by the emulation of Vanilla WoW? A multi-billion dollar corporation? I think they'll survive.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Who's being hurt by the emulation of Vanilla WoW? A multi-billion dollar corporation? I think they'll survive.
    That's absolutely missing the point that the content of those "emulation servers" is not the owners' to use. It belongs to Blizzard. The fact that this most basic of facts is brushed aside by proponents of the "private" server issue is disturbing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    SBFord said:
    That's absolutely missing the point that the content of those "emulation servers" is not the owners' to use. It belongs to Blizzard. The fact that this most basic of facts is brushed aside by proponents of the "private" server issue is disturbing.
    Disturbing to some, pragmatic to others. Probably best to get over it, nothing's going to change unless Blizzard seeks extreme legal ramifications or offers a paid service for Vanilla.
    Gdemami

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:
    Disturbing to some, pragmatic to others. Probably best to get over it, nothing's going to change unless Blizzard seeks extreme legal ramifications or offers a paid service for Vanilla.
    I would submit the fact that they chose to do neither is evidence to support the idea the Blizzard does not see it disturbing or disgusting enough to warrant those actions.

I think, if they were being honest, most of the devs at Blizzard would submit they, at least, understand the desire of some to play the vanilla version of WoW, even if they don't think it's profitable enough an endeavor to warrant their time.
    LawlmonsterGdemami

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2017
    I think, if they were being honest, most of the devs at Blizzard would submit they, at least, understand the desire of some to play the vanilla version of WoW, even if they don't think it's profitable enough an endeavor to warrant their time.
    They did, 'countless' times over the years...

From Blizzard's perspective it is pointless endeavor, it is 'been there, done that' waters. There is a no point going back, especially with no way going forward...
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    SBFord
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

SBFord said:

Honestly, is anyone surprised? The temptation's real.

No,its awesome that they can offer Vanilla servers for gamers.
    Im surprised that they can fight against gold selling and blizzard allowed and even legalized it.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

Torval said:
    I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money. Sad. I hope that team is held accountable.
    wait .. wait.. are you saying that thieves got cheated out of there money .. You have got to kidding me ..

And you want the team of bigger thieves to be accountable .. ???

Sorry Torv , they all get what they deserve here
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money. Sad. I hope that team is held accountable.
    wait .. wait.. are you saying that thieves got cheated out of there money .. You have got to kidding me ..

And you want the team of bigger thieves to be accountable .. ???

Sorry Torv , they all get what they deserve here
    I do think the dirty pirates that stole money deserve to held accountable, legally. I don't think the money should be returned to anyone. Both parties being wrong doesn't mean the admin team should be let off. They shouldn't.

The justice isn't for the people that got cheated. They did get the consequences of their choice. The justice is for a society that shouldn't tolerate this sort of behavior. It's to send message on principle that we should be behaving better and those that break laws will be punished.
    Then why you feel bad for those players ..They got what they deserve .. Actually would be a bonus if they got there identity stolen, beings they advocate stealing ..

"I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money"