Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - M

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    Even tho i'm the first person in a queue waiting for classic WoW realms i believe #Deficineiron is right. The little people are in the panel answering customers' questions, while strategy meetings take place somewhere else, and the little guys know how their bosses think. So i take this "You think you do but you don't" as "If it was for me, sure, but my boss would never accept it".

I'm pretty sure we won't see any new MMOs from A/B anytime soon, so until some other company creates something worthy to log on the pServers are our best choice to enjoy a rewarding MMO experience.
    Gdemami
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:

People just don't care about right and wrong anymore and I find that sad.
    Starts at the top and works its way down.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

Blizzard consistently shows its attention to "caring" with millions donated to charitable causes on a yearly basis -- and those are just the initiatives that we know about.

That aside, it isn't good business to "care" -- a hyperbolic word used in regard to financial ventures, to say the least -- about a project that isn't financially worth the investment. The job of any business is to make money for themselves and their investors. If they could make enough to offset the cost of hosting and updating for vanilla servers, they would without one single doubt.
    [Deleted User]Aelious

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Drama.
    Guys steal the code of a game and run a illegal server.
    But they must be nice guys,because they give vanilla WoW to the people.
    Turns out they really are not that nice guys(totally unexpected).
    More drama.

*Not enough pop corn.
    SBFordAelious
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

Blizzard consistently shows its attention to "caring" with millions donated to charitable causes on a yearly basis -- and those are just the initiatives that we know about.

That aside, it isn't good business to "care" -- a hyperbolic word used in regard to financial ventures, to say the least -- about a project that isn't financially worth the investment. The job of any business is to make money for themselves and their investors. If they could make enough to offset the cost of hosting and updating for vanilla servers, they would without one single doubt.
    That's a strong phrase at the end.

Nothing qualifies the profiteering off of this server.  That's clear.  But I don't remember where Blizzard said they would have opened those servers had they any indication they would merely break even in the endeavor.  Do you have a quote or something I've missed?

It certainly is worth calling out that they're profiteering, but considering your past post history regarding all things Blizzard, your last sentence swings completely the other way.
    Gdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Rockard said:
    Drama.
    Guys steal the code of a game and run a illegal server.
    But they must be nice guys,because they give vanilla WoW to the people.
    Turns out they really are not that nice guys(totally unexpected).
    More drama.

*Not enough pop corn.
    Is it "stolen" code? I thought  I read the server side code was created independently, or is that just a cover story?

I think one of the reasons this site permits the conversation is they believe the origin tale which if true means nothing is actually stolen.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

It certainly is worth calling out that they're profiteering, but considering your past post history regarding all things Blizzard, your last sentence swings completely the other way.
    Hardly. All overwrought arguments for or against the entire issue of vanilla servers are irrelevant compared to the bottom line of a Fortune 500 company that has undoubtedly researched this particular issue to death to see if it can be made profitable. That no move to create legacy servers has been made to date reveals that, at least as of now, it's not worth the investment. 

In the end, that's what it all boils down to.
    KyleranGhavrigg[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Oh darn, thieves got robbed. What a pity, really. Boo hoo. Now where will all the freeloaders, entitled whiners, and nostalgic historical revisionists go?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited October 2017
    SBFord said:
    Hardly. All overwrought arguments for or against the entire issue of vanilla servers are irrelevant compared to the bottom line of a Fortune 500 company that has undoubtedly researched this particular issue to death to see if it can be made profitable. That no move to create legacy servers has been made to date reveals that, at least as of now, it's not worth the investment. 

You've got this straight forward realism that would make me feel bad and/or aroused if used against me.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2017

SBFord said:

Honestly, is anyone surprised? The temptation's real.

I am not really surprised. It is quite common that developers are selling gold and/ or ingame items for real cash.
    Interestingly enough the DAOC freeshard is exactly that, no cash shop, no offline store, no donations accepted.

A true labor of love.

Well that and I think they are trying to avoid antagonizing the IP owner as the server and team are located in countries where court action would likely be enforced.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    SBFord said:

I think you are correct in stating that it might not be worth the investment for them. But honestly I feel like they are holding off on vanilla servers or any form of progression server until the games population dies down more. Once an expansion doesn't bring the numbers back it once did I'm sure they will look into it as an option. It is always a last ditch effort by companies to bring attention back to an MMO that doesn't have the population they once had. 

Honestly I'm sure they know better than anyone but in my opinion I feel like it would bring back so many people. The vanilla private servers tend to retain ALOT of players (obviously not as much as a retail one would), whereas normal private servers get attention then die off pretty quick. 
  • DeficineironDeficineiron Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Ghavrigg said:
    SBFord said:

You've got this straight forward realism that would make me feel bad and/or aroused if used against me.
    there are a couple of tangential aspects to this worth at least bringing up

1) corporations at this level have internal politics.  given how much of blizzard's current effort has been directed to getting as far away from 'classic wow' as possible, this has to be a divisive factor for them internally, as classic wow functionally would repudiate 8+ years of changes.

2) corporate game design philosophy - a/b makes accessible games, and classic wow is the antithesis of accessible by today's standards.  it is quite possible that alone is a deal-breaker, or that it would then entail accessibilizing the game in a way that even the blizzard folks don't want to do.  See my Frankenstein server post above.

Corporations are about money, and publicly traded ones even more so in the short-term, but always within their own corporate governance norms and philosophy, as well as the real potential of simply being wrong.   Activision-Blizzard is about mass-market accessible games, and they have been enormously successful at it overall, as Activision was prior to the merger.  I find it hard to imagine them green-lighting a classic server project without so many conditions attached to the project that what emerged from blizzard would look like every classic player's worst nightmare of modern wow mixed with classic.

I will throw in my own take on the merger and wow - I have watched/read a lot of Kotick interviews including from prior to and around the time of the merger, and I don't think he 'got' what hooked players into MMO's, nor the ramifications of loosening those 'hooks' in order to accessibilize the game.  I think he saw blizzard with this uniquely successful property that they were intentionally self-limiting their market with due to various 'inaccessible' features/aspects, and felt that this was just stupid, and that a more accessible game could do better.

By the numbers, I think he was wrong and that the starter steps towards more accessible content from 3.0.2 forward were the peak in western wow subs and revenue.  (china had entirely different issues in play and had substantial sub growth and revenue growth while being in different game version during the western wotlk period).

[Deleted User]Ghavriggdeniterwanderica
  • DeficineironDeficineiron Member CommonPosts: 4

SBFord said:

Honestly, is anyone surprised? The temptation's real.

I am not really surprised. It is quite common that developers are selling gold and/ or ingame items for real cash.
    I am very interested in seeing numbers on what he was bringing in with gold and character sales.  My brief experience with the (retail) gold market as a provider was that servers much less active that elysium was had substantial demand for it (this was before blizz got into the business themselves).

It might be the numbers being made off the gold sales to resellers make the 2k euro taken from paypal look like peanuts or a rounding error. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Oh darn, thieves got robbed. What a pity, really. Boo hoo. Now where will all the freeloaders, entitled whiners, and nostalgic historical revisionists go?
    Here.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

SBFord said:

That's why I said your last statement was strong.  Offsetting the costs is not the same as not being profitable enough.  Implying they would move forward without hesitation if they could simply offset the cost is a strong statement.

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Blizz has stated several times that a vanilla server will never go online because the work that has to be put into it will be too expensive and time-consuming.

I started playing WoW in 2004 and have recently tried Elysium cause I love vanilla to pieces and hate how WoW is today. Seemed like a good server, it ran well but the gold selling was crazy and it smelled dirty at best sometimes. Was not for me so I left rather fast.
    JamesGoblin

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

My comment pertains to NA society, @Torval is correct. 

I have no criticism towards Blizzard on this topic.

Interestingly enough, I'm in the opening round of defending one of my trademarks I've held for over twenty five years against a big US corporation who wants to use it for one of their new products that doesn't have an overlap against mine. My opening response is constructive, I'm worried they're going to try steal it through muscle and attrition.

We'll see how the negotiations go. 

I don't have a lot of empathy towards Big Corps. With they're $muscle$ they can and do steal IP's.

JamesGoblinGdemami

Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

No it doesn't. Personal morality isn't the responsibility of another individual or corporation. It starts with each one of us and our choices from the inside out.
    When people see their government as corrupt and immoral... it all goes downhill from there.
    GdemamiIselin

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

Interestingly enough, I'm in the opening round of defending one of my trademarks I've held for over twenty five years against a big US corporation who wants to use it for one of their new products that doesn't have an overlap against mine. My opening response is constructive, I'm worried they're going to try steal it through muscle and attrition.

I don't have a lot of empathy towards Big Corps. With they're $muscle$ they can and do steal IP's.

That's awful. I hope you win.
    SBFord[Deleted User]laseritConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

No it doesn't. Personal morality isn't the responsibility of another individual or corporation. It starts with each one of us and our choices from the inside out.
    When people see their government as corrupt and immoral... it all goes downhill from there.
    When corrupt self-serving individuals elect corrupt people to rule over them then they should set their expectations accordingly.
    No wonder voter turnout is so shitty, the honest voters abstain.
    GdemamiIselin

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

That's bad I mean I hope they don't try to steal it from you but I seriously wouldn't put it past them to do exactly that.
    laserit

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

That doesn't prove that they care.  Plenty of companies make charitable contributions because it looks good.
    Gdemami
    SBFord said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

That doesn't prove that they care.  Plenty of companies make charitable contributions because it looks good.
    Hence the quotation marks. At least the funds go into the hands of people who do care (without quotation marks).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Torval said:

When corrupt self-serving individuals elect corrupt people to rule over them then they should set their expectations accordingly.
    No wonder voter turnout is so shitty, the honest voters abstain.
    I live in Oregon. Our vote doesn't matter anyway, even if you care.

We're over-simplifying a complicated issue. There's a lot of truth in every corner of it that's overlooked in the discussion. It may not be possible to do it justice or be worth the effort. I think it was @FrodoFragins who had a signature that went something to the effect, "For every complex problem there is a simple solution that is as wrong as it is simple." That happens a lot in discussions here in my opinion because the format doesn't lend itself well to having them.

I hope you find a good path through the trademark fiasco. That sort of stuff is exhausting to deal with.
    We do very much care.

What ever happens down there, has a big effect on what happens up here.

Socially and Economically.
    Gdemami

edited October 2017
    Wish I could "insightful" and "awesome" the same post.  Touché, @Torval.
    laserit[Deleted User]cheyane