Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - M

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited October 2017
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.
    Are you insane? I tried retail Wow. Legion is horrible, I can take my tank and round up every mob in a zone, kill them all and finish with full health. How is this fun? I never played Wow until WotLK and it was never my favorite game but I played because my friends played. I recently tried this Vanilla Wow and it blew me away. Leveling is a challenge. By level 10 I have died a ton. You get a gear upgrade at lvl 8 and it is exciting because you need it. This has nothing to do with it being free, it has to do with it being a vastly superior product. I only play games with Subs which leaves not too many games these days. I really wish someone would make a vanilla LOTRO game as that was my all time favorite game....
    Oh yay. Leveling takes longer, I die more often during it, and gear comes less often and with smaller incremental upgrades. Good thing the combat is slower, more boring, and way more unbalanced and the game changes entirely at end-game so it's all worth it. Blows the goddamn mind, that superior design.
    Combat is definatly faster and more fluid in Legion but what difference does it make when everything is so easy. It is impossible to die. Who cares if combat is faster when there is no challenge. Why get better gear when it doesn't matter. The difference is massive between Legion and Vanilla and I could see how modern players wouldn't like Vanilla (the walking speed difference is shocking at first) I just take offence to people saying that all these people playing Vanilla is because it is free. I woud love Blizzard to make a server and charge $15 a month for it. That would be amazing.
    You want to pay $15/month for an extremely limited game that you already know all the content for and will never be updated? 
    I never played Vanilla before so alot of it is new to me. Leveling in Vanilla is way different than is was for WotLK. They di update the servers, they startwith the original game and then add patches that were added later in Vanilla's life. I don't think all of the patches are live yet in Elysium. I like that I don't have to worry about an expansion because I can take my time.
    Well, maybe you'll get lucky and they've found some sort of compromise for Blizzcon, then. I've played all through vanilla, and I can't imagine ever wanting to revert back to that time. Plus the lore and shit is all out of date. 
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    But.... if people wanted to see what WoW Vanilla use to feel like http://store.steampowered.com/app/350660/Alganon/ that closer WoW Vanilla clone I ever seen.
    laserit
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    But.... if people wanted to see what WoW Vanilla use to feel like http://store.steampowered.com/app/350660/Alganon/ that closer WoW Vanilla clone I ever seen.
    That title has enough controversy of its own ;)
    GhavriggSBFord

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money. Sad. I hope that team is held accountable.
    That's why I mentioned working with these developers and providing close oversight would be a much better option than forcing them to work on the shady ends of legality.  Forcing them to keep detailed cost and revenue records and turning over all proceeds above operating costs to the original creator seems like a much better compromise for everyone involved than making an example out of a server once in a blue moon and allowing things like this to happen otherwise.
    GdemamiPhry

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2017
    Lol Why is that people try to rationalize this behavior under an umbrella. People would still be hosting private servers even if legacy existed (and probably have been hosting them since vanilla, not like I'm going to dig around for the history of private servers though). Part of the reason will be that the game changed and people want to play it like before, but guess what? The game changes all the time. A patch could drop and changes how one classes damage modifers work and then people go crazy that loved how it worked before. This is honestly too much of a can of worms for blizzard to control. Its not as simple as releasing expansion based servers but having to watch patching for each as well, since there's always going to be something that someone doesn't like. Or what? They could just listen to the "majority" about it and determine patches based on that? I'm not sure if pirate supported noticed but blizzard is honestly listening to the majority by keeping the game the way it is (and I honestly haven't really enjoyed WoW since timeless isle in MoP, even though I hated most of MoP too).

What pirate knights dont seem to understand is that they never OWNED WoW, they simply bought into it and if they read it since day one they would understand that. Such as something as simple as "Online experience may change." You can interpret it how you want but a patch/expansion falls under those lines even if you do not like it. They do not restrict your access to the game, you just can't play the game that you wanted but you agreed to that when you bought it. I mean if you're old enough to buy something, you should be old enough to read and comprehend actual sentences as they are stated, not how you interpret them to mean in your own mind.
    Forgrimm
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I find this a little amusing because when Nostralius shut down there were some very passionate posters who were lauding the integrity of the people who run these servers. That they were doing this because they loved WoW and so on and so forth. So we are now discovering they're a bunch of thieves....surprise well not really.

Why don't they just outright charge for it since they are out of Blizzard's reach they can basically just charge and pay people properly so that they don't steal to make a living. They can hire and run it properly.

All the hypocritical people who have been playing for free are now acting all outraged....dude you were playing on a private server leave the outrage outside the door please before you enter.
    GdemamiTheScavengerForgrimm

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Tragic. I can not explain how good was to play on Elysium.
    This was probably only MMO worth playing right now...
    aliven

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    It is possible that Blizzard chooses not to offer Vanilla servers so as not to split their player base between them and current game ones, or perhaps would rather not find out how many would start playing on the Vanilla servers rather than staying where they are.

Or, as was mentioned before, they may not feel it will earn them enough to be worth the bother. Blizzard my believe those seeking Vanilla servers are just a vocal minority of players too small to justify offering the option.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Ghavrigg said:

vtravi said:

Ghavrigg said:

vtravi said:

Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.

Are you insane? I tried retail Wow. Legion is horrible, I can take my tank and round up every mob in a zone, kill them all and finish with full health. How is this fun? I never played Wow until WotLK and it was never my favorite game but I played because my friends played. I recently tried this Vanilla Wow and it blew me away. Leveling is a challenge. By level 10 I have died a ton. You get a gear upgrade at lvl 8 and it is exciting because you need it. This has nothing to do with it being free, it has to do with it being a vastly superior product. I only play games with Subs which leaves not too many games these days. I really wish someone would make a vanilla LOTRO game as that was my all time favorite game....

Oh yay. Leveling takes longer, I die more often during it, and gear comes less often and with smaller incremental upgrades. Good thing the combat is slower, more boring, and way more unbalanced and the game changes entirely at end-game so it's all worth it. Blows the goddamn mind, that superior design.

Combat is definatly faster and more fluid in Legion but what difference does it make when everything is so easy. It is impossible to die. Who cares if combat is faster when there is no challenge. Why get better gear when it doesn't matter. The difference is massive between Legion and Vanilla and I could see how modern players wouldn't like Vanilla (the walking speed difference is shocking at first) I just take offence to people saying that all these people playing Vanilla is because it is free. I woud love Blizzard to make a server and charge $15 a month for it. That would be amazing.

You want to pay $15/month for an extremely limited game that you already know all the content for and will never be updated? 

You speak as though $15/month is a huge expense when it is in fact trivial, save to those with limited fixed income or from economically challenged nations.

Updates a person has no interest in aren't going to be a relevant factor when deciding if a subscription to play a game with older, static content is worth the cost.
    Gdemami
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    in for 60 pg thread debate
    SBFord
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    why ppl still donate is beyond me , isnt the 1 nor will be the last
    SBFord
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Tamanous said:
    This is the life of private server play. Nothing new. Just the next stage of the drama.
    It does kind of add a meta quest:

[Against the Clock]

"Can YOU hit level cap and BiS before shutdown?"
    SBFordaliven
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Ghavrigg said:

Yes
    alivenJamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Sounds like you aren't very good at the vanilla game so you'd be better off sticking with retail, where they shower you with gear no matter how much you suck.  Gear rarity is one of the aspects of the original game that is attractive to people who like their rewards to feel like actual rewards, meaning they're earned.
    Linking to private servers on MMORPG.com is a permanent bannable offense (though can talk about them in news posts)...wonder why that is? Hmmm...maybe its because its the same as linking to pirated products? If you think its not pirating and stealing, why avoid linking to your free servers?
    That's not accurate.  There's a dedicated subforum to those discussions, and linking is allowed and occurs without bans.
    ah, yeah there is. Last I knew it was a bannable offense to link to such things or even discuss/talk about, but guess it changed. Thought it was like the subject of politics/religion, a bannable offense. Looks like that rule changed lol
    It was, until the Nost vs Blizzard debacle (if I remember correctly), at which point Bill and the gang added the subforum.
    Actually the rules of the subforum state you may only discuss private servers permitted by the IP owner,  such as Project 1999, those for "dead games such as SWG and one single exception,  you were permitted to discuss Elysium,  but no other WOW private servers.

You will still see them take down posts for any other private server. I once asked Bill if we could discuss the DAOC freeshard openly but he gave the standard answer I used to give my children,  "we'll see."  (As my kids would tell you,  this almost always means no) Still waiting. 

Not sure what the policy will be with this new turn of events.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
     those for "dead games such as SWG 
    ...which is weird since the servers are still as illegal as any other.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    I'm surprised there aren't more people outraged that so many people got screwed over after donating in good faith. In this case gamers literally got cheated out of their money. Sad. I hope that team is held accountable.
    That's why I mentioned working with these developers and providing close oversight would be a much better option than forcing them to work on the shady ends of legality.  Forcing them to keep detailed cost and revenue records and turning over all proceeds above operating costs to the original creator seems like a much better compromise for everyone involved than making an example out of a server once in a blue moon and allowing things like this to happen otherwise.
    What they are doing is illegal, so yes they are forced to work in the 'shady end of legality' because one wrong move from them and they end up on the wrong end of a court case, perhaps even prison. Sorry to burst the 'bubble' but when you are knowingly, perhaps willfully breaking the law the risks you take are entirely of your own making, and if it all goes pear shaped, then, sorry, but thats on you. Or as my uncle used to say, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
     those for "dead games such as SWG 
    ...which is weird since the servers are still as illegal as any other.
    Not my rules....just a form of splitting hairs which I'm sure would come to a halt if WDW objected.
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DeficineironDeficineiron Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited October 2017

Tamanous said:

>The likely outcome may actually be that Blizzard corrupts the legacy experience MORE than private emulation actually wants. Why? Because Blizzard's track record only proves it by the the very act of meta-marketed production of Wow that destroyed vanilla in the eye's of the players who support Nost/Elysium/Lightshope and I do not, nor ever will support emulators outside of that philosophy.

This is my major reservation about the entire 'blizzard classic servers' movement. I simply don't believe Activision-Blizzard is institutionally capable of just releasing classic wow without tremendous accessibility changes and most likely eventual cash-shop tie-ins. I have even wondered if "you think you do but you don't' was informed by this likely eventuality - that what people would get is Frankenstein servers - the map and quest flavor of classic wow, with

1) Mobs that tickle and giggle rather than hit
    2) GY and Flight points like retail
    3) BG's modified to fit the current 15-minute philosophy, despite classic AV being one of the most common requests I have seen. Lets not forget the brilliant WSG 4.1 changes too!!
    4) 'quick and easy chain pull' instances - no more of this marked pull and cc stuff. everything, even BRD and whole strath, should be done in 45 min or less. everyone finishes the baron run in time!
    5) probably need to replace confusing non-linear places like scholo with the more accessible modern versions. People can get lost in there!!
    6) greatly reduced xp/level req.,
    7) quest-target item sparkles, like 2.3
    8) while preserving the themes of classic quests, they need to be linearized so players don't have to make decisions on what to do next or look around for a quest giver off by itself somewhere.
    9) dungeon finder/raid finder. say goodbye to any challenge in dungeons.
    10) that mount sure is expensive!! why not get a little helping hand with your gold by selling your token in the classic version rather than retail? Also, save time and down KT tonight- get your lvl 60 boost in the store!!!

The major underlying concept is A/B wouldn't make 'classic' servers for the folks that want the game tuning/design of classic wow - they would make a 'classic experience' for their current playerbase.  Everyone kills KT, at least on LFR...random grouping determines tuning on all group content  (= faceroll).  Battlegrounds have tight time leashes to prevent players not getting their measured honor dose.   etc. etc. etc.

at any rate, I think you get the idea. It would be the worst of both worlds. It would be Gandalf as Ring-Lord, as tolkein describes in a letter

"But if Gandalf had been the victor it would have been far worse than Sauron winning. The "righteous" Gandalf would have become self-righteous, ruling and ordering things for "good" until he had made good detestable and seem evil.""

Post edited by Deficineiron on
    deniterJamesGoblin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Phry said:
    Torval said:
    What they are doing is illegal, so yes they are forced to work in the 'shady end of legality' because one wrong move from them and they end up on the wrong end of a court case, perhaps even prison. Sorry to burst the 'bubble' but when you are knowingly, perhaps willfully breaking the law the risks you take are entirely of your own making, and if it all goes pear shaped, then, sorry, but thats on you. Or as my uncle used to say, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
    The point being that there could be a better way to handle these servers than the way it's currently being handled.  As others have mentioned, you'll never stamp them out completely.  So either keep making a show of one server every so many years, amounting to nothing really to prevent the supply of said servers and setting up folks to easily make shady money off your product, or come to an agreement that allows you oversight of said server so as to enable any profits made, however large or small, go to your pocket instead of some rando, all with as little effort and time on your part as possible.

It has the added effect of PR bonus.
    Gdemami

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    vtravi said:
    Games change. Doesn't mean its right to steal or pirate them. I don't like Fallout 4 at all. I thought fallout 3 and new vegas are vastly superior. Doesn't mean I'm going to go ahead and pirate fallout 3/nv (even though I own both, just an example) because the newer game is, to me, worse. Not exactly the same, but point stands that even if a game changes doesn't mean you should steal from the developers.
    But that isn't the same in the MMORPG space and you know that. Vanilla WoW is a completely different game. Blizzard is no longer offering that experience, whereas private servers are. Your comparison would make sense if you could no longer buy Fallout 3 / NV and the only way to play those would be through illegal methods. 

I am not entirely for pirating things but I'm completely for playing an experience that is no longer available, like shut down games or older versions of games. Look at Project 1999, that server has been allowed to run because it was up prior to them releasing their progression servers. Or any of the UO private shards that have old versions of the game. 

I'm not saying the people running the servers aren't sketchy, but I am saying that if you want a specific experience, you can get it through private servers until blizzard offers it. It isn't freeloading to freeload, it's playing the only available option to get that specific version of the game you liked.
    deniterIselinGdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2017
    But that isn't the same in the MMORPG space and you know that. Vanilla WoW is a completely different game.
    Umm... no it isn't. That's just the convenient spin and rtationalization fans of these pirate servers use to justify it to themselves and try to separate it from more obvious IP theft.

The current WOW is just vanilla WOW many, many patches later. You may not like where they took it (I don't either) but saying it's truly a different game is just BS.

It's just as silly as saying that me at 10 years old was a different person.
    SBFordForgrimm[Deleted User]zigalucardConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Iselin said:
    But that isn't the same in the MMORPG space and you know that. Vanilla WoW is a completely different game.
    Umm... no it isn't. That's just the convenient spin and rtationalization fans of these pirate servers use to justify it to themselves and try to separate it from more obvious IP theft.

The current WOW is just vanilla WOW many, many patches later. You may not like where they took it (I don't either) but saying it's truly a different game is just BS.

You sound like you are trying to lump anyone who plays a private server together as fans of "pirate" servers. Like we are purposefully going out of our way to ONLY play on those servers. Which isn't true at all.

I play retail WoW. I pay the monthly fee. I actually happen to play it almost every day as well. It just doesn't offer the same experience the old Vanilla game did. So I play those servers as well. Not because they are "pirate" servers but because it's literally the only way to play that version of the game. 

You can say it's a totally different game because they have redone the entire world after Cataclysm, they have made drastic combat changes, drastic class changes, made classes not as unique as they used to be, made all of the old content pretty much soloable and most of the quests are completely different. Just like your personality may have developed more after you were 10 years old making you seem like a completely different person. 
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

You sound like you are trying to lump anyone who plays a private server together as fans of "pirate" servers. Like we are purposefully going out of our way to ONLY play on those servers. Which isn't true at all.

I play retail WoW. I pay the monthly fee. I actually happen to play it almost every day as well. It just doesn't offer the same experience the old Vanilla game did. So I play those servers as well. Not because they are "pirate" servers but because it's literally the only way to play that version of the game. 

You can say it's a totally different game because they have redone the entire world after Cataclysm, they have made drastic combat changes, drastic class changes, made classes not as unique as they used to be, made all of the old content pretty much soloable and most of the quests are completely different. Just like your personality may have developed more after you were 10 years old making you seem like a completely different person. 
    I may seem like a completely different person than 10 yr. old mini me, but a DNA analysis would quickly prove otherwise :)

Hey, I'm not coming down on pirating. I have been know to DL movies, TV shows and music on occasions. But I don't try to justify it by calling it something else. It's pirating.
    SBFord[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DeficineironDeficineiron Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Iselin said:

Let's see how many folks you trick into arguing semantics with you about whether retail is actually vanilla wow with some patches vs being a substantially different game running under the same title, etc.  This is a good gambit because you can argue it all day long, it cannot be disproven, and it distracts from conversation/focus on the gameplay mechanics and other aspects that have changed.
    Panther2103Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Iselin said:

Let's see how many folks you trick into arguing semantics with you about whether retail is actually vanilla wow with some patches vs being a substantially different game running under the same title, etc.  This is a good gambit because you can argue it all day long, it cannot be disproven, and it distracts from conversation/focus on the gameplay mechanics and other aspects that have changed.
    Can't the same be said about the opposite? Same rules apply as far as I can see. But in this case it distracts from the many, many things that have stayed the same.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SBFord[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer