Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elysium 'Private Server' Shuts Down Temporarily Due to Financial Shenanigans - World of Warcraft - M

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Ozmodan said:
    Tamanous said:
    Albatroes said:

Tamanous said:

Incorrect. Now you just nitpicking to make a point.

My point is now, and always will be, that the only way for Blizzard to take ownership of this issue is to host legacy servers themselves. How that iteration would be done is something I cannot predict. I speak of why players are attracted to the Nost/Elysium/Lightshope philosophy of Wow emulation and the current meta of emulators running.

I do not defend private emulators ... I merely give the facts of why they exist. What is to defend? The reasons they exist won't go away because of your opinion. You can choose not to play on them but to argue over what is right or wrong does not change what is reality.

The reason why emulators have cash shops is because costs of development and hosting demand it. Because of the loops they must jump through to keep them running to avoid legal issues they are limited by their methods. Who profits by how much and the methodology used can be a choice behind why someone supports it or not but that is not my point.

You may choose any reason why not to support it just like I choose not to support Blizzard for the legalized corruption they profit from. I do not support developers who now use F2P marketing strategy and who reshape their products to different market groups against the wishes of their original audience. This goes for any product and not just within the video game market.

I will not be a lemming standing by watching the the free market collapse under oligarchy control without expressing whatever influence is left to us lowly consumers. The consumer is a product now, and the ignorance expressed by many of you here condones this. 50% of Americans just had their full identity information leaked yet the company at fault will only profit from this due to current laws protecting them and not the citizen. You do nothing and let it happen. F2P and meta-marketed games with nearly zero diversity in genre has taken over video games. You do nothing and let it happen.

What is legal does explicitly mean what is right. Legality is not a static concept. It evolves and it's evolution currently progresses to protecting the rights of business and not the consumer. This has EVERYTHING to do with what is going on here.

This is the core concept of consumerism and capitalism: a consumer demand exists and this demand is met by business venture. What is the demand here? Legacy Wow. Is the market providing a product to meet his demand? Yes. Is the business that created this demand making this product? No.

Who is perpetuating this demand by not providing the ONLY legal solution? Blizzard.

Blizzard holds the cards. Blizzard is using the law to not support the very concept of consumerism. The law is the inhibitor of consumerism within a so called capitalistic country. This is the modern trend of business. This is what the ignorant consumer supports who hides behind the very laws that no longer protects their interests. They very video game market you support makes niche game development harder and harder for independent development. Choice is swallowed up by nearly unmitigated mergers ... in nearly all areas of business.

If you argue against the concept of why the demand of legacy Wow exists (whether it's currently legal or not) ... you argue against your very right as a consumer. Your ignorance is so clear it is sublime.

This is the last I post on this. Time and time again it becomes apparent to me that the vast majority of posters hear lack the free thinking capacity to comprehend the current nature of how industry works today and where it's headed. These are fruitless debates.
    That is Blizzard's choice not these idiots running private servers.  Why would any intelligent being even bother with a private server, all of the self destruct either through shenanigans like this one of through action by Blizzard.  All their private servers are essentially thieves.  The only thing I see in this post is a lot of self justification for doing something that is dumb.
    Pirates will always defend their pirating ways.

First its, DRM oh no! ...but witcher 3 had no DRM and was still heavily pirated

Too many microtransactions! oh no! but witcher 3 had free DLC and amazing expansions...and was still heavily pirated

Pirates and thieves will always defend their actions, because they know its stealing and wrong but don't want to look like criminals and petty thieves.
    I sense a level of butthurt from you on this topic. 

Did someone steal your favorite Legos when you were a kid?
    No, but it seems like you are the one who seems butthurt. Your the only one here throwing insults and not bringing anything meaningful to the discussion. 

Pretty pathetic anyone would defend thievery and pirating, but as they say...thieves band together and defend themselves. Everyone in this thread or reads the thread can see who pirates and steals games, its pretty obvious.

Gdemami

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited October 2017
    There is no difference between free servers (when the original servers are still up and running) and pirating. Both are stealing revenue from the developers.
    And then...
    The only time private servers are good is if an MMO has been shut down. Otherwise its a bunch of freeloaders.
    So you can just steal my taxi cab because I haven't started its engine in 30 years and have it kept in my garage, collecting dust while not giving me any revenue?
    I don't approve of pirating or stealing from developers or companies. Pirating and stealing isn't worth my time to defend, because everyone knows its wrong ...
    Wait... What?

Edit: I don't care much for this topic. I am just trying to understand your logic here.
    Xingbairong
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ozmodan said:
    Tamanous said:
    Albatroes said:

Tamanous said:

Incorrect. Now you just nitpicking to make a point.

My point is now, and always will be, that the only way for Blizzard to take ownership of this issue is to host legacy servers themselves. How that iteration would be done is something I cannot predict. I speak of why players are attracted to the Nost/Elysium/Lightshope philosophy of Wow emulation and the current meta of emulators running.

I do not defend private emulators ... I merely give the facts of why they exist. What is to defend? The reasons they exist won't go away because of your opinion. You can choose not to play on them but to argue over what is right or wrong does not change what is reality.

The reason why emulators have cash shops is because costs of development and hosting demand it. Because of the loops they must jump through to keep them running to avoid legal issues they are limited by their methods. Who profits by how much and the methodology used can be a choice behind why someone supports it or not but that is not my point.

You may choose any reason why not to support it just like I choose not to support Blizzard for the legalized corruption they profit from. I do not support developers who now use F2P marketing strategy and who reshape their products to different market groups against the wishes of their original audience. This goes for any product and not just within the video game market.

I will not be a lemming standing by watching the the free market collapse under oligarchy control without expressing whatever influence is left to us lowly consumers. The consumer is a product now, and the ignorance expressed by many of you here condones this. 50% of Americans just had their full identity information leaked yet the company at fault will only profit from this due to current laws protecting them and not the citizen. You do nothing and let it happen. F2P and meta-marketed games with nearly zero diversity in genre has taken over video games. You do nothing and let it happen.

What is legal does explicitly mean what is right. Legality is not a static concept. It evolves and it's evolution currently progresses to protecting the rights of business and not the consumer. This has EVERYTHING to do with what is going on here.

This is the core concept of consumerism and capitalism: a consumer demand exists and this demand is met by business venture. What is the demand here? Legacy Wow. Is the market providing a product to meet his demand? Yes. Is the business that created this demand making this product? No.

Who is perpetuating this demand by not providing the ONLY legal solution? Blizzard.

Blizzard holds the cards. Blizzard is using the law to not support the very concept of consumerism. The law is the inhibitor of consumerism within a so called capitalistic country. This is the modern trend of business. This is what the ignorant consumer supports who hides behind the very laws that no longer protects their interests. They very video game market you support makes niche game development harder and harder for independent development. Choice is swallowed up by nearly unmitigated mergers ... in nearly all areas of business.

If you argue against the concept of why the demand of legacy Wow exists (whether it's currently legal or not) ... you argue against your very right as a consumer. Your ignorance is so clear it is sublime.

This is the last I post on this. Time and time again it becomes apparent to me that the vast majority of posters hear lack the free thinking capacity to comprehend the current nature of how industry works today and where it's headed. These are fruitless debates.
    That is Blizzard's choice not these idiots running private servers.  Why would any intelligent being even bother with a private server, all of the self destruct either through shenanigans like this one of through action by Blizzard.  All their private servers are essentially thieves.  The only thing I see in this post is a lot of self justification for doing something that is dumb.
    Pirates will always defend their pirating ways.

First its, DRM oh no! ...but witcher 3 had no DRM and was still heavily pirated

Too many microtransactions! oh no! but witcher 3 had free DLC and amazing expansions...and was still heavily pirated

Pirates and thieves will always defend their actions, because they know its stealing and wrong but don't want to look like criminals and petty thieves.
    I sense a level of butthurt from you on this topic. 

Did someone steal your favorite Legos when you were a kid?
    No, but it seems like you are the one who seems butthurt. Your the only one here throwing insults and not bringing anything meaningful to the discussion. 

Pretty pathetic anyone would defend thievery and pirating, but as they say...thieves band together and defend themselves. Everyone in this thread or reads the thread can see who pirates and steals games, its pretty obvious.

No, I attempted a reasonable debate with you.  You didn't seem to understand what a false dichotomy was, ignoring my response to regurgitate the same drivel you've been spouting, almost verbatim, over and over.

So I figured I would speak at a level you seem to understand.  So, who was it who stole your Legos?  Was it Chad?  Chad was such a douche.  I heard he was the Elysium staff member who was pocketing the donations!
    GdemamiTheScavengertimtrackXingbairong

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No i am not surprised,more like i expect this.It is really too bad,money in this world is the prime cause for a lot that troubles around us.

I am happy to mention on the flip side,i know of a FFXI private server that makes NO money,period and they have been tempted often,they flat out refuse to take any money.They are simply upholding our right to play a game we bought and own.

Btw yeah yeah i do way too much surfing reading,exploring however,there is  factual numbers/testing,at least on the numbers provided that this so called stealing actually encourages and makes developers MORE money,in contrast to them making claims it costs them money.

Someone might ask,how is that possible?It is possible because most of the action takes place right at launch,what is apparently really happening is people simply want to TEST the product before buying it,which imo should be regulatory law as is.These same people might share their findings with friends and family and encourage more sales that might have never happened.
    So then these people find they actually enjoy the game and end up buying it or not but there is no proof anywhere that says these same people doing due  their diligence of testing a product before buying it,would have made a blind purchase.

Devs simply paint the worst possible picture because they want the law on their side and none on the side of the consumer.I predict that eventually,similar to the way Steam operates,is we will see law change in that games are allowed to be tested FIRST before purchasing,it is after all FAIR practice to allow consumers this option.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited October 2017
    their sketchiness was revealed over 6 months ago. such a sad state of affairs Vanilla WOW is abandonware at this point imo so I have no issue with private servers, I'd just prefer more transparent ones and preferably not those run by russians
    MadFrenchieGdemami[Deleted User]ManWithNoTan
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.
    Are you insane? I tried retail Wow. Legion is horrible, I can take my tank and round up every mob in a zone, kill them all and finish with full health. How is this fun? I never played Wow until WotLK and it was never my favorite game but I played because my friends played. I recently tried this Vanilla Wow and it blew me away. Leveling is a challenge. By level 10 I have died a ton. You get a gear upgrade at lvl 8 and it is exciting because you need it. This has nothing to do with it being free, it has to do with it being a vastly superior product. I only play games with Subs which leaves not too many games these days. I really wish someone would make a vanilla LOTRO game as that was my all time favorite game....
    GdemamiGhavriggKumaponborghive49GnogManWithNoTan
    vtravi said:
    Good, now the freeloaders can pay for a WoW sub like everyone else. The only reason they were playing this server was because it was free (with a cash shop I guess). No more stealing from Blizzard, and if they still don't want to pay for WoW (which you can play for free anyway by grinding gold)...well plenty of other free MMOs.
    Are you insane? I tried retail Wow. Legion is horrible, I can take my tank and round up every mob in a zone, kill them all and finish with full health. How is this fun? I never played Wow until WotLK and it was never my favorite game but I played because my friends played. I recently tried this Vanilla Wow and it blew me away. Leveling is a challenge. By level 10 I have died a ton. You get a gear upgrade at lvl 8 and it is exciting because you need it. This has nothing to do with it being free, it has to do with it being a vastly superior product. I only play games with Subs which leaves not too many games these days. I really wish someone would make a vanilla LOTRO game as that was my all time favorite game....
    Games change. Doesn't mean its right to steal or pirate them. I don't like Fallout 4 at all. I thought fallout 3 and new vegas are vastly superior. Doesn't mean I'm going to go ahead and pirate fallout 3/nv (even though I own both, just an example) because the newer game is, to me, worse. Not exactly the same, but point stands that even if a game changes doesn't mean you should steal from the developers.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited October 2017
    vtravi said:
    Oh yay. Leveling takes longer, I die more often during it, and gear comes less often and with smaller incremental upgrades. Good thing the combat is slower, more boring, and way more unbalanced and the game changes entirely at end-game so it's all worth it. Blows the goddamn mind, that superior design.
    KyleranManWithNoTan
    Bullshit.  I briefly played on it while at the same time having an official WoW subscription.  Try again.
    This is some people's perspective:

ConstantineMerusXingbairongKyleranJunglecharly

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Tamanous said:
    Torval said:
    Kumapon said:
    I wish Bliz would stop being jerks and just host a couple of classic/progression style servers. I am always tempted to play on an private server but so many drama loving idiots ruin it. Plus the inevitable shut down.

Yeah, this is Blizzards fault.

lolwut!
    It is the only real solution to it. How is this confusing to you?

Private Wow emulators will always exist because there is a demand for it. Blizzard has never been able to shut it down and never will. White knight opinions matter not. Fact is fact.

The only way Blizzard can take ownership of the situation is to own the service that the meets the demand. So either this occurs or the drama of private emulation continues and what ever evolution comes of it. These emulators are an open source project. Fans will always host and continue development of them.

This is all very simple. Nothing convoluted about it.
    Agreed

It doesn't matter the side of the fence, it just is.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited October 2017

Tamanous said:

Torval said:

Kumapon said:

I wish Bliz would stop being jerks and just host a couple of classic/progression style servers. I am always tempted to play on an private server but so many drama loving idiots ruin it. Plus the inevitable shut down.

Yeah, this is Blizzards fault.

lolwut!

It is the only real solution to it. How is this confusing to you?

Private Wow emulators will always exist because there is a demand for it. Blizzard has never been able to shut it down and never will. White knight opinions matter not. Fact is fact.

The only way Blizzard can take ownership of the situation is to own the service that the meets the demand. So either this occurs or the drama of private emulation continues and what ever evolution comes of it. These emulators are an open source project. Fans will always host and continue development of them.

This is all very simple. Nothing convoluted about it.

That is True that Wow emulators will always exist. Blizzard will always go after the big dogs when comes to emulators that is easy to target. Only problem big target harder to hide and defend them self unless they live in a country with out ip infringement.
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Oh yay. Leveling takes longer, I die more often during it, and gear comes less often and with smaller incremental upgrades. Good thing the combat is slower, more boring, and way more unbalanced and the game changes entirely at end-game so it's all worth it. Blows the goddamn mind, that superior design.
    Combat is definatly faster and more fluid in Legion but what difference does it make when everything is so easy. It is impossible to die. Who cares if combat is faster when there is no challenge. Why get better gear when it doesn't matter. The difference is massive between Legion and Vanilla and I could see how modern players wouldn't like Vanilla (the walking speed difference is shocking at first) I just take offence to people saying that all these people playing Vanilla is because it is free. I woud love Blizzard to make a server and charge $15 a month for it. That would be amazing.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiXingbairongManWithNoTan
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Combat is definatly faster and more fluid in Legion but what difference does it make when everything is so easy. It is impossible to die. Who cares if combat is faster when there is no challenge. Why get better gear when it doesn't matter. The difference is massive between Legion and Vanilla and I could see how modern players wouldn't like Vanilla (the walking speed difference is shocking at first) I just take offence to people saying that all these people playing Vanilla is because it is free. I woud love Blizzard to make a server and charge $15 a month for it. That would be amazing.
    You want to pay $15/month for an extremely limited game that you already know all the content for and will never be updated? 
    edited October 2017
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Sounds like you aren't very good at the vanilla game so you'd be better off sticking with retail, where they shower you with gear no matter how much you suck.  Gear rarity is one of the aspects of the original game that is attractive to people who like their rewards to feel like actual rewards, meaning they're earned.
    Linking to private servers on MMORPG.com is a permanent bannable offense (though can talk about them in news posts)...wonder why that is? Hmmm...maybe its because its the same as linking to pirated products? If you think its not pirating and stealing, why avoid linking to your free servers?

Its against the rules because its theft and illegal, hence why most of them operate outside the "legal" area that companies can't do anything about.

Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Sounds like you aren't very good at the vanilla game so you'd be better off sticking with retail, where they shower you with gear no matter how much you suck.  Gear rarity is one of the aspects of the original game that is attractive to people who like their rewards to feel like actual rewards, meaning they're earned.
    Linking to private servers on MMORPG.com is a permanent bannable offense (though can talk about them in news posts)...wonder why that is? Hmmm...maybe its because its the same as linking to pirated products? If you think its not pirating and stealing, why avoid linking to your free servers?
    That's not accurate.  There's a dedicated subforum to those discussions, and linking is allowed and occurs without bans.
    TheScavengerJamesGoblin

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I did play on Elysium for a bit but the game is not really that hard or anything. I opted for Project 1999 instead. If this turns out bad I will be glad I did not pour too much time and effort into vanilla WoW.

That's the way private servers go I'm not surprised if you play on these types of dodgy vanilla things. Bound to be shady people on them if you consider the way it is set up. Easy for theft and redirection of funds. Honestly how can anyone be surprised.
    Chamber of Chains
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    That's not accurate.  There's a dedicated subforum to those discussions, and linking is allowed and occurs without bans.
    ah, yeah there is. Last I knew it was a bannable offense to link to such things or even discuss/talk about, but guess it changed. Thought it was like the subject of politics/religion, a bannable offense. Looks like that rule changed lol

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited October 2017

vtravi said:

Ghavrigg said:

vtravi said:

I would like Blizzard to try to make Vanilla server too just to see how it turns out, but a lot people still play emulators then paying $15. Other problem too is share holders a Vanilla would never make the money back even if was 500K people playing right now for Blizzard to take from. They would have to redo engine, or reprogram everything for their new upgrade engine. Unless they can keep so many people playing for so many years to see a profit, and see if worth it for the investment. Just like how MMO doing so far in general are dying off after the first hype, and people move on to next new exciting game. Unless the company spend more invest money in to the game.
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    ah, yeah there is. Last I knew it was a bannable offense to link to such things or even discuss/talk about, but guess it changed. Thought it was like the subject of politics/religion, a bannable offense. Looks like that rule changed lol
    It was, until the Nost vs Blizzard debacle (if I remember correctly), at which point Bill and the gang added the subforum.
    TheScavenger

Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    You want to pay $15/month for an extremely limited game that you already know all the content for and will never be updated? 
    I never played Vanilla before so alot of it is new to me. Leveling in Vanilla is way different than is was for WotLK. They di update the servers, they startwith the original game and then add patches that were added later in Vanilla's life. I don't think all of the patches are live yet in Elysium. I like that I don't have to worry about an expansion because I can take my time.
    GhavriggAnireth
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    It was, until the Nost vs Blizzard debacle (if I remember correctly), at which point Bill and the gang added the subforum.
    Ah okay, so kinda recent then. Never noticed. Thanks for the heads up :) Guess since MMORPG.com lets that content be hosted, its not so much in a black area as a "grey" area.

Though someone above pointed out something...

In some countries, one single game on Steam is worth one year of wages just to get that single game...if the person never paid bills or anything. Like some places a 40 dollar game will be actually 120+ dollars in their currency AND their wages are piss poor compared to wages in the US.

So I can actually understand that, because companies are milking them dry instead of converting the game into their economy/currency and charging them an obscene amount.

In the US that isn't a problem, but in many poor countries it definitely is.
    Gdemami

vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    vtravi said:
    I never played Vanilla before so alot of it is new to me. Leveling in Vanilla is way different than is was for WotLK. They di update the servers, they startwith the original game and then add patches that were added later in Vanilla's life. I don't think all of the patches are live yet in Elysium. I like that I don't have to worry about an expansion because I can take my time.
    It had been so long since vanilla that I had forgotten almost all the quest content, save for dungeon runs.  Even those presented mechanics I had forgotten about.

You can really treat good games like books (especially RPGs).  If you haven't played them recently, things that were familiar can seem fresh again, including quest content and lore.
    JamesGoblin

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    who wants to bet in a few months time we will be hearing of how this private server had to shut down temp because people were profiting off it like the last server and how they are creating a new team to uphold the ideals. Rinse repeat until people wise up.
    Seems the game isnot shutting down now. I am confused. Ths is their tweet "Elysium will continue to run, and despite what many people believe, will not be shutting down."    They deleted tweet about the server being closed. I don't know what to believe now
    edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    who wants to bet in a few months time we will be hearing of how this private server had to shut down temp because people were profiting off it like the last server and how they are creating a new team to uphold the ideals. Rinse repeat until people wise up.
    That's because they inherently have to operate outside the confines of normal business transactions.

If the law said you cannot make a profit off of previous game versions (not just patches, but with/without, say, expacs) but can only take what money is needed to run the hosting and continued bug-fixing costs (all of which had to be reported on a particular time basis), and all proceeds above this must be given directly to the original creator, you could impose a lot more oversight to prevent this sort of thing.
    Gdemami