Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Onsite at Wargaming America and Hands-on WoWP 2.0 - World of WarPlanes Previews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageOnsite at Wargaming America and Hands-on WoWP 2.0 - World of WarPlanes Previews

The guys at Wargaming.net flew me out to take a gander at the newest World of Warplanes 2.0 patch, in what is essentially a re envisioning of the game. I got to meet with the developers and get a hands on with the new Bomber class and play with the Wargaming team on the new objective focused maps. Al King, Global Brand Director of Wargaming, also took the time for an interview about how the team reached 2.0 and their future plans for the game, which you can read here.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kbarrilleakbarrillea Member CommonPosts: 6
    Well done! Love the airplane motif puns. While the war gaming team has created a more immersive feel to their world of warplanes you create the immersive experience of playing the game with words! This is super helpful in deciding whether to reinvest in a game that obviously needed a bit of help achieving take off in its first model.
  • ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    I've been having a go in 2.0 for a few days, and I can agree it is MUCH improved, and a great deal of fun. Now, whether it is a superior (or even equal) iteration of War Thunder's arcade mode is another question. The responsiveness still feels a bit...floaty in comparison. It will be quite a feat to lure players who have sunk hundreds (or thousands) of hours in War Thunder's air combat to World of Warplanes, and I don't have time to play both, as I've other games and genres I enjoy as well.

I give Wargaming a lot of credit for essentially admitting they made a mess of 1.0+, and starting over, but I don't know if the player base can ever be as robust as it might have been otherwise.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Played a little at launch. Sounds like it is worth looking at again.

• bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I played at beta and the game sucked, tried 2.0 and gotta say its really fun. Nothing realistic like warthunder RB or Sim but its better than Warthunders Arcade mode imo. Objectives and different aircraft types having a role on each map make the game really fun. Nice new graphics,controls and this is what it should of been at release.
  • JurrubinJurrubin Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Been playing WoWp 2.0 for 3 solid days and it's incredibly fun! Difficult to not spend cash on micro-transactions for gold to speed up tier opening. Good news is any gold bought for World of Tanks is accessible from World of Warplanes and vice versa. Tier 1 is as fun as Tier 5. Be careful at Tier 6+; that's where the experts hang out and it shows in team tactics and personal combat maneuvers. Use of the mouse and keyboard were surprisingly effective at tier 4 and less. The combo is still useful above tier 4 but investing in a joystick is recommended just for the ease of maneuvering the faster aircraft in combat.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited October 2017
    There are some things you simply can't do in World of Warplanes that will always make it play second fiddle to WarThunder. Can't land, can't do some aerial maneuvers, can't go to operational altitude, can't use most bombers, and can't play historically accurate planes.
    However, there are a few benefits. WoWP will always appear to have more people in a match. It's less grindy. There are not huge gaps in tech trees. The UI is easier to follow. The match-making system is more fair.
    There are 3 particular negatives I have with the game that prevent me from playing more actively. They changed the sounds. The gun firing sounds were so nice, then they killed the sounds and gave that hit sound which is a little annoying. The game's UI does not scale to 4k. The Corsair and Zero flight characteristics do not match their real life benefits and drawbacks.
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    These russian made games are just cash machine the russian government uses to fund cyber attacks against this country. They also use this money to fund political propaganda pushes.