Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM (DM) controlled mobs and/or dungeons?

OnodrimOnodrim Member UncommonPosts: 45
I figured for devs of a game this groundbreaking, an idea like this may sound pretty cool ...

Imagine a dungeon you tore up yesterday, but when you come back tomorrow, the DM has added defenses around the perimeter, patrols, and maybe even sends a few raiding parties into your town for retaliation ... 

Dungeons so deep that you can't possibly conquer them in a day... but once you've taken your loot and left, when you return the mobs are waiting and prepared for their revenge...

Occasionally, you return to get more loot, but TODAY the GM (DM) happens to be controlling the action. He/She sees you coming, rounds up the mobs and attacks and wipes your unsuspecting group ... OR you are well prepared and organised, make it to the depths only to face a powerful boss encounter fully controlled by a human GM instead of the predictable computer algorithm you were expecting! 

OK obviously no company can hire staff to play every mob in every encounter, but how fun would it be if there was staff popping in here and there, beefing up defenses over here, sending a raiding parting over there, controlling a dungeon's response to your raid now and then, especially if you never knew when to expect it? 

Even maybe a player option to BE the monster in a dungeon or fortress being raided by people expecting only predictable mobs?

Thoughts?  And for you people experienced with coding, how difficult would it be to give player's and/or GM's control of mobs in individual situations?

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    The dungeon is called "the depths" and since it's likely be populated by other factions waiting to kill you or vice versa having GM's take over mobs and pick targets wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion, especially with player PvP occuring.
    Onodrim

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Destiny 2 has that doesn't it.  I've never heard of anyone taking advantage of it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I dont know if Neverwinter takes the concept a step further or not but you're able to create quests for people to do however you see fit I believe, so they can involve running dungeons etc.