Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay WTF is a MMO? Really?

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Maurgrim said:
    The ban sentence increase everytime you get banned, after 90 days and you still write stupid things you get perm ban, with his track record, I really hope they IP ban him.

And the sad part is, I don't think hes a troll I think he are that kind of guy who thinks everyone are wrong and he is always right, his posts tend to be more narcissist than trollish.
    I agree, but if you take a quick glance through his post history and, specifically, the threads he creates, a clear theme also emerges.  The one he's infamous for trolling about.
    GdemamiCecropiaJamesGoblin

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Maurgrim said:

And the sad part is, I don't think hes a troll I think he are that kind of guy who thinks everyone are wrong and he is always right, his posts tend to be more narcissist than trollish.
    nah .. the sad part is that you will think that i am so delusional that i would think that there is  "right" or "wrong" on the internet?

But hey, i am certainly "right" when I pointed out that Destiny 2 is classified as a "MMOFPS" as of 5 min ago. I would love to see if anyone can prove me wrong on THAT count. 
  • DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Who even cares at this point. 
    The people that loooove MMOs care because once a game is labeled as an "MMO", they have the power to dictate to the developers what they feel should be in the game e.g. endless gear grind, end game dungeons and raids, don't cater to solo.  If the developers does not concede to their wishes, the game will be destroyed in forums and blogs.

Developers want to move away from the MMO label so they they can have the power to shape the game as they want.

By not labeling the game as an MMO, developers effectively removed the power from the "it's an MMO" crowd.  
    Gdemami
    DeVoDeVo said:
    Who even cares at this point. 
    The people that loooove MMOs care because once a game is labeled as an "MMO", they have the power to dictate to the developers what they feel should be in the game e.g. endless gear grind, end game dungeons and raids, don't cater to solo.  If the developers does not concede to their wishes, the game will be destroyed in forums and blogs.

Developers want to move away from the MMO label so they they can have the power to shape the game as they want.

By not labeling the game as an MMO, developers effectively removed the power from the "it's an MMO" crowd.  
    hehe .. i highly doubt developers care about "powers to destroy in forums" or they control what games are classified as.

Look at the huge debate on whether Destiny 2 is a MMO .. Bungie would care less and they will be make tons of money either way. Only some here may care. Most gamers will just play the game. 
    MadFrenchieGdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Does the definition of MMO really matter anyway?

I mean - would Destiny be a different game if it were "officially" an MMO by definition? Would other MMOs change if Destiny suddenly came out of the closet and revealed it was an MMO?

Games are what their developers make them to be. We can put whatever label we want on them after they are released, but it won't change anything about the game itself.

The really fun games, anyway, or at least the ones we remember, are those that go beyond whatever label us gamers would affix to them anyway.

Gdemami
    Ridelynn said:
    Does the definition of MMO really matter anyway?

That is what I like to say. 

But some here insists that it matters, and all the websites which go against their definition are run by "morons" and "idiots". May be you should ask them why it matters so much to them.

Personally, i don't even care if Destiny 2 is a RPG with guns, or a shooter with RPG elements, as long as I have fun. 
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    mmo to me means a persistent world where many players co-exist simultaneously. but the rpg is as important to me as the mmo or even more. to me the rpg means to make a permanent change in that world as a player. Meaning as in to modify that world as a player so that other players can see that modification and perhaps interact with it.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    i consider 2-9 players Multiplayer and 10+ Massive Multiplayer.
    10 is a massive number?

Webster tells us:

Definition of massive

:forming or consisting of a large mass:
    a :bulky 
    • massive furniture
    b :weightyheavy 
    • massive walls
    • a massive volume
    c :impressively large or ponderous 
    • stars more massive than the sun
    d :having no regular form but not necessarily lacking crystalline structure 
    • massivesandstone
    2a :large, solid, or heavy in structure 
    • massive jaw
    b :large in scope or degree
    • the feeling of frustration, of being ineffectual, is massive
    •  —David Halberstam
    3:having mass (see 2mass 1c) 
    • a massive boson
    I just don't see 10 of anything being impressively large or ponderous. Almost every single FPS game support that many players so how is that impressive? Anything up to 24 is just basic multiplayer support for that type of game, in fact it is a bit on the low side today. 

For an RTS and 4X game I guess anything over 8 is more then standard so it certainly depend of the type of game but I think you are generally being far too generous. I just don't see how anything less then twice the standard number would be "massive" in any way.
    Gdemami
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Steelhelm said:
    mmo to me means a persistent world where many players co-exist simultaneously. but the rpg is as important to me as the mmo or even more. to me the rpg means to make a permanent change in that world as a player. Meaning as in to modify that world as a player so that other players can see that modification and perhaps interact with it.
    To be fair does MMO mean "Massive multiplayer online" so with enough people you still can call it a MMO. I certainly think the same way as you about MMORPGs. RPG is all about interaction with other players and npcs after all.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You must have a character in the world, there must be alot of other characters in the world you can interact with. It has to be online. It has to have a way to improve yourself such as xp and stats etc. It can be any genre as long as it meets those other requirements. Feel free to agree, disagree with my definition. Best thing to do is call it what you want and ignore everyone else.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    MMorpg - Working in a social environment with others in a harsh environment. 
    Games Online - A playground of kids, where adults play too.
    A red car is a car.
    A blue car is still a car.
    A green bicycle is not a car.

But if a bicycle manufacture decides to call a bicycle a car in "words only", I guess their is nothing stopping him. 

So this is where we stand. 
    ChildoftheShadows
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    A red car is a car.

But if a bicycle manufacture decides to call a bicycle a car in "words only", I guess their is nothing stopping him. 

More like the bicycle manufacturer making a car and calling it a bike - in "words only" of course.
    gervaise1 said:
    A red car is a car.

More like the bicycle manufacturer making a car and calling it a bike - in "words only" of course.

But in this case a bike is really a bicycle.  Where a bike or bicycle is never a car.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    A red car is a car.

But in this case a bike is really a bicycle.  Where a bike or bicycle is never a car.
    Not if the bicycle manufacturer makes a 4 wheeled vehicle with an engine etc. but decide to call it a bike because that is what they are known for.

Which can be the case with games - as this thread shows. Bungee have made a game. Bungee's pedigree is Halo and that is what Bungee wanted Destiny 1/2 to be "viewed" as. Not one of those "failed mmos" - regardless of whatever "mmo" features Destiny 1/2 has - or does not have.

Bungee like any other company simply want to sell games - so they will "position" their games in a way that they believe will drive sales. And it is not uncommon for products to be marketed differently to different market segments.

And for players - well for me at least - the key is do I like the game. Does it work for me. What its called - pftt!

As for bicycles well as long as we define cars as 4 wheeled vehicles we have no problem - the prefix "bi" derives from Latin and means 2. If we were to use the broader definition "motorised vehicle" however we could have issues - since bicycles these days can have motors along with electronic gears. We are pretty safe I reckon though since 4 wheels is pretty common.

3 wheeled vehicles though - youngsters trike, big 3 wheeled road bikes,  3 wheeled cars - especially if designed to side step regulations designed for "cars" like the "infamous" Robin Reliant known to anyone who has watched Top Gear / Grand Tour. Yes ... then we are into the stuff that this thread is made of.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    A game is a MMO if the marketing department of the developer of the game thinks it will make the game sell more. Simples really. :)
    gervaise1 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    A red car is a car.

Not if the bicycle manufacturer makes a 4 wheeled vehicle with an engine etc. but decide to call it a bike because that is what they are known for.

Which can be the case with games - as this thread shows. Bungee have made a game. Bungee's pedigree is Halo and that is what Bungee wanted Destiny 1/2 to be "viewed" as. Not one of those "failed mmos" - regardless of whatever "mmo" features Destiny 1/2 has - or does not have.

Bungee like any other company simply want to sell games - so they will "position" their games in a way that they believe will drive sales. And it is not uncommon for products to be marketed differently to different market segments.

And for players - well for me at least - the key is do I like the game. Does it work for me. What its called - pftt!

As for bicycles well as long as we define cars as 4 wheeled vehicles we have no problem - the prefix "bi" derives from Latin and means 2. If we were to use the broader definition "motorised vehicle" however we could have issues - since bicycles these days can have motors along with electronic gears. We are pretty safe I reckon though since 4 wheels is pretty common.

3 wheeled vehicles though - youngsters trike, big 3 wheeled road bikes,  3 wheeled cars - especially if designed to side step regulations designed for "cars" like the "infamous" Robin Reliant known to anyone who has watched Top Gear / Grand Tour. Yes ... then we are into the stuff that this thread is made of.

Ok bad example.  
    You got me with the bicycle thing, bi meaning 2... your right. 

I think I'll buy a cat and name him dog..... Hay, nothing stopping me :)
    Scot said:
    A game is a MMO if the marketing department of the developer of the game thinks it will make the game sell more. Simples really. :)
    no no no. Devs are no longer calling everything MMOs. Just look at Activision. 

Websites and reviewers are. To be fair, devs don't care enough to object though. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:
    no no no. Devs are no longer calling everything MMOs. Just look at Activision. 

Websites and reviewers are. To be fair, devs don't care enough to object though. 
    They never did call everything a MMO, after all the game would have to have a bare minimum of MMO like features.

For most just having multiplayer and some sort of persistency even if it is only your avatars permanent nature is enough. :)

I will be fair to the devs too, having to tease out why your game is not a MMO after your company, or the media calls it that would be a chore no one would want to do and just create a negative impression.
    Scot said:

For most just having multiplayer and some sort of persistency even if it is only your avatars permanent nature is enough. :)

nah .. persistency is certainly NOT required. Otherwise, world of tanks and PUBG would not be called MMOs on this site's gamelist.

But hey, they may be doing it just randomly with no logic. As someone else said in another thread, who cares?
    Phry
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    klash2def said:
    Watching vids on Destiny 2 (im hype yes I know) and I keep seeing the same argument on each comment section.. " FFS DESTINY IS NOT A MMO!" 

Well, considering the defintion for MMO upon a basic google of the acronym here is what I found.. 

MMO
    noun
    1. an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously
    So if Destiny: Raids, Guilds, Loot Drops, Dailies, Heroics, Weekly, Shared Open Space
    and if MMO: Raids, Guilds, Loot Drops, Dailies, Heroics, Weekly, Shared Open Space

Then how is Destiny NOT an MMO? I think the term MMO needs to be redefined for the current generation of games because people are still trying to apply a old system to new games which said rules no longer apply. 

SO in 2017 what do we consider a MMO if Destiny isnt one? Just curious? 
    At no point in the game does destiny allow you to play the game with a large, or massive group of people. Like I have said before, 1000 people playing chess doesn't make it an MMG. It makes it a 2 player game with a thousand people playing 500 instances of it.
    madazz said:

At no point in the game does destiny allow you to play the game with a large, or massive group of people. Like I have said before, 1000 people playing chess doesn't make it an MMG. It makes it a 2 player game with a thousand people playing 500 instances of it.

"Like i have said before" .. yeah .. this particular argument has been said hundred of times by now.

So is what you have said before changing minds yet? Do we have a consensus yet?
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Gonna bring this thread up again in 12 months.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

klash2def said:
    Gonna bring this thread up again in 12 months.
    Rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-out-loud  

Anyway, 
    An mmorpg is a world given to the player as he sees fit "unscripted".  It's also a hard game where players have to work together to survive. 

This can't be disputed !