Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warframe - With Plains of Eidolon, Warframe is Becoming the MMO We Always Wanted - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarframe - With Plains of Eidolon, Warframe is Becoming the MMO We Always Wanted - MMORPG.com

I was up way too late last night. I usually am but this time it was worth it – I finally got to play Warframe’s Plains of Eidolon expansion for myself and I am most certainly impressed. Cetus and the Plains of Eidolon are a giant leap forward for the game, even if it’s ultimately just the beginning of what promises to be a bold new era for the space ninjas.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    This sounds like when Global Agenda added the open areas. I liked the idea but it was so short.
    XophMrMelGibson
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I really enjoyed it. I need to delve around it more, see what else there is to do. I'm worried it's a bit sparse, but as a good beginning.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    They need to make the game less confusing for new players and those that return

I was a big Warfram fan years ago, I had 500h+ playtime and knew everything and had everything for that time. I stopped because there wasnt much to do for me anymore

press forward a year and I tried to get back and was totally confused with basically everything and I just couldnt stomach browsing the web for hours to relearn everything

Tried again about half a year ago and just was even more confusing with even more stuff in the game with no clear road to follow

So nope not gonna try again if they dont fix this
    MikehastarrosArglebargleunfilteredJWMadFrenchieKeldor837MrMelGibsonTaneon
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    I'm enjoying things so far, though the servers are periodically shitting the bed. You can get some cool free stuff (Frost Prime, Soma Prime, Scindo Prime and more) if you link your WF account with a Twitch Prime account. You can get free Twitch Prime with the free 30 day Amazon Prime trial.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I expected a little more from this.The new PoE area is basically a larger tileset with no walls, instead of feeling like an open world. It needs more random events, small quests to fill in the empty spaces. The standing grind takes way to long.

The bounty system is full of common rewards making it hard to get what you want. The Gara quest is extremely quick and boring. It has potential but it is still very much a work in progress. If any company can continue growing a game and turn it into something special, it is DE.
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

This sounds like when Global Agenda added the open areas. I liked the idea but it was so short.

I miss poison bombing with a poison medic in Global Agenda, that was some good times. Wish they would have made a GA 2 by now.
    forcelimaMrMelGibson
  • RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I clicked the Warframe page of that site and then clicked "PLAY NOW" to be directed to the Warframe game page. Then I had an extremely disappointing surprise, I was heading to the page of a fifth category game called "Dragon Awaken". This is the worst monetization system a site can have. What a shame.

http://www.dragonawaken.com.br/portuguese/cEEx.action?cno=DragonAwake_BrasilExmox&lp=dapt02&scno=BR_58_73

I understand that the site needs money, but with false click is absurd. This is worse than bait.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonTaneonshalissar
  • PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    I don't know about everyone else, but after playing since closed beta and seeing no real progression in terms of end-game high level play, I doubt I would describe as getting anywhere closer to the "mmo I've always wanted" It seems to favor the casuals. Like just about every other f2p game out there.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited October 2017
    Torval said:
    What makes the game hard to pick up for new players? Is there a steep learning curve? Most shooters I've played are fairly straight forward to start.
    The game instruction is mostly verbal.  Newcomers don't pay attention to the instructions.  There is also an in-game 'encyclopedia' with this information, achievement tracking and a lot of lore.

Learning how to move beyond the basic running and jumping is important to game play.  Learning how to run along walls, glide, jump-aim, attaching to walls, etc. can be challenging.  Especially when everyone else in your squad has been playing for six months and are rushing to the goals and the exit point while you're just trying to keep up. 

It can also get frustrating even for those with experience when you're teamed up with someone using a warframe that has an AOE insta-kill aura like the Ember warframe.  On a point defense they'll just turn on the aura and sit one the point.  If the mission is movement based they'll run ahead of everyone and kill almost everything before someone else can get a hit in.  Kills are important because they drop Modification cards, ammo, health and energy replenishments if you can get a hit in.

A couple of hints for newcomers.  Play solo at first.  You can select solo or group in the upper left corner of the system map.  You're also given some game currency called Plat. Only use your starting Plat to purchase weapon inventory space and maybe one or two warframe inventory spaces. 

Plat is the cash shop money.  Don't buy any unless you get an in-game daily login award that lets you purchase plat for 50% or 75% off.  Plat can also be earned by trading items with other players with a big but.  You aren't going to have anything anyone wants for a good while.  The only things other players want and can be traded for are Prime Warframe part blueprints and Modification cards.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    [Deleted User]forcelimaMrMelGibson
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited October 2017
    Torval said:
    What makes the game hard to pick up for new players? Is there a steep learning curve? Most shooters I've played are fairly straight forward to start.
    Warframe is an amazing game. At first it is great fun being a space ninja and also straightforward, but once you dig deeper trying to optimize and progress (which you have to do or be stuck on the same content) then it gets complicated. The main problem is that hardly any knowledge can be obtained by using logic because the game give you no clues. This means the only way to understand mechanics and progression (getting stronger and more efficient), is to read it in a browser, which can be a bit unsatisfying when even the most trivial knowledge has to come that way - And trust me, there is much of it and it is complicated.

Anyways, I have not played for almost a year, but I am definately going to play again with this new direction because .. Even though it an information struggle, it is still the best fun shooter game ever made.
    Arglebargle[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Torval said:
    Thanks. Those are both really helpful bits of info.
    My in-game name is GusTarbhal.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Been too busy but I definitely plan to look at this when I can. Hoping for great things.

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 537
    It's been a while since I hit up Warframe, this might be something to pull me back in.
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    edited October 2017
    Kills are shared as is loot. If I kill an enemy and they drop a useful mat I can waypoint that drop for other members of the party to collect regardless of how far away in the map they are.

There is a range on affinity gains (essentially xp) so in the scenario you described player would just need to stay within a large vicinity of the ember.

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

They need to make the game less confusing for new players and those that return

I was a big Warfram fan years ago, I had 500h+ playtime and knew everything and had everything for that time. I stopped because there wasnt much to do for me anymore

press forward a year and I tried to get back and was totally confused with basically everything and I just couldnt stomach browsing the web for hours to relearn everything

Tried again about half a year ago and just was even more confusing with even more stuff in the game with no clear road to follow

So nope not gonna try again if they dont fix this

Fix what? Your lack of motivation to learn what's new? Get a grip man...
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The game is not a MMO, it's 4 player co-op. It's still a great game but if you were going in thinking it was going to be an actual MMO it's not.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Plains_of_Eidolon

"The Plains of Eidolon has an area of about 5 square kilometers (2.25km x 2.25km)[1], featuring various fields, hills, and bodies of water in a mostly temperate climate.

Each server instance of Cetus can hold up to 50 players within the town, however players can only exit onto the plains in the standard 2-4 man squads or Solo. Each map is considered its own separate mission instance, and will not be shared between squads."

Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    My question is ( as new to both ): Play Warframe , or buy Destiny 2 ?

• RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49

Torval said:

RedFireCE said:

I clicked the Warframe page of that site and then clicked "PLAY NOW" to be directed to the Warframe game page. Then I had an extremely disappointing surprise, I was heading to the page of a fifth category game called "Dragon Awaken". This is the worst monetization system a site can have. What a shame.

http://www.dragonawaken.com.br/portuguese/cEEx.action?cno=DragonAwake_BrasilExmox&lp=dapt02&scno=BR_58_73

I understand that the site needs money, but with false click is absurd. This is worse than bait.

Or you could just message the site or post in the feedback section that a link is bad instead of making a drama about it.

Choose one ... Back-End or Front-end ... I've been working on this for over 15 years, this is not a bug on the site or a problem on some line. This is not a virus on the site.
    Drama ... If you do not understand programming it is better not to simplify things like this ... The site is full of advertisements, I disable my adblock to never block advertisements from mmorpg.com, but creating such links is unethical.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I saw it top 3 in Twitch and i was like wtf...then noticed some big name streamers sponsored.
    Just the notice of the game had me thinking,i thought i tried this game but my terrible memory had me second guessing.
    So i startup Steam then realized...oh yeah this is the game that had such a cumbersome UI and too many key binds needed ,i just gave up and never played more than 1 minute.

Did end up watching Angry Joe play for a bit "sponsored" and he seemed to mildly act like he was sponsored.I could tell a few times he wanted to blow up but restrained himself,like when completing a mission or something and the screen said failed,he stopped rolled his eyes ,looked at his brother and was about to say WTF !!,then the screen gave him his reward for completing so it was confusing to say the least.
    I would say that watching "not playing"it did not look all that great,decent perhaps.What turned me off the most was the character movement,i do not like that style of flying around and jump spinning through the air.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    This is probably one of or the best F2P game out. Gonna jump back in on it tonight
    rojoArcueid
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I've always had lots of trouble getting into this game. I never know what my next objective should be, where I should be going. Idk.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • SemuneSemune Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I kinda wish it was more of a MMO. The new area is just a 4 player instanced roaming area. It's no different than everything else.

I love warframe, but with focus 2.0 forcing you into your operator every 5 seconds to dash for energy, and PoE basically being an instanced large area instead of having a MMO feel... meh.

They did a great job on it though, it looks great, and the enemies are challenging. The rewards are terrible though.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263

Semune said:

I kinda wish it was more of a MMO. The new area is just a 4 player instanced roaming area. It's no different than everything else.

I love warframe, but with focus 2.0 forcing you into your operator every 5 seconds to dash for energy, and PoE basically being an instanced large area instead of having a MMO feel... meh.

They did a great job on it though, it looks great, and the enemies are challenging. The rewards are terrible though.

Something to keep in mind. You can access this just after the tutorials and a couple of missions on earth. They're not going to roll out uber drops when it's so easily accessible.

This is going to be the first of many such zones. Their goal is for each planet to have such zones.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Warframe was always never marketed as an MMO, and PoE update changes nothing in this regard.

CORPG is more appropriate term IMO.
    Kyleran

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

My question is ( as new to both ): Play Warframe , or buy Destiny 2 ?

That depends on what you enjoy. I've played Destiny for about 2 years, and warframe more than four. I enjoy both, but each has its "issues".

Destiny 2 is fun, but they missed some really good parts of the first. One of those was having random stats and perks on weapons and armor. Destiny 2 doesn't, and its a poor design decision from many peoples perspective.

Warframe is a good game, but the Dev's *can't* leave anything alone. They are *constantly* changing things, not to mention the deadly nerf bat of doom. Anyone who has been gone 6 months to a year is really behind the curve.

Plains is a lot of fun, but the night time content is lucked behind a long series of missions, that are more sadistic than many people are used to. Especially the one called The War Within.

But over all, both are good games. Warframe is free, so you could try it and if its not what you are looking for, then try Destiny 2.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."