Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 developers create new game

Comments

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

and of course its always had light crafting.

What? Are you serious?

It is funny when you talk as though you know everything MMO / game related, but show just how little you do know.

Original crafting in EQ2 was far from light.

One of the most humorous thing's you could ever see in EQ2 was someone failing and being killed while crafting.

You could not make everything yourself either, you had to rely on other player's making some components you needed to craft item's.

One of the worst things they did to EQ2 was dumb down the crafting and make it almost the same as WoW crafting.

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months.
    EQ2 is light crafting compared to ALL other games I have played that have crafting both in MMO and in non-mmo.
    I never played WoW.

Crafting is deeper in Eve, Darkfall, Wurm Online and Xyson and virtually ALL my single player games that have crafting.

So you think clicking items to add them as ingredients, then clicking a button and waiting for a progress bar is deeper than adding ingredients, starting the crafting process, counteracting events that take place, and taking damage if you fail (and possibly dying in the process), increasing quality and the crafting process if you succeed, until the item is crafted?

Ok.
    'how' i create something is not of intrest to me frankly. clicking buttons at the right time in a mini game that zero context whatsoever remotely to do with actually making such an item in real life is not intresting to me

'what' i can create and what ingredients are involved and various combinations of them are of interest.

taking wurm for example, there are about 10 different tools, each tool for a different job, there is quality, there is durablity, there is improving, you can build carts, you can build boats and large items of course require multiple tools, multiple materials, that are crafted from other skills

The events you countered were related to things happening when you crafted, ie forge fire flaring or going out  when forging
    HatefullExcession
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2017
    vorpal28 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

It is funny when you talk as though you know everything MMO / game related, but show just how little you do know.

One of the most humorous thing's you could ever see in EQ2 was someone failing and being killed while crafting.

You could not make everything yourself either, you had to rely on other player's making some components you needed to craft item's.

One of the worst things they did to EQ2 was dumb down the crafting and make it almost the same as WoW crafting.

I played EQ2 as a crafter for 9 months.
    EQ2 is light crafting compared to ALL other games I have played that have crafting both in MMO and in non-mmo.
    I never played WoW.

Crafting is deeper in Eve, Darkfall, Wurm Online and Xyson and virtually ALL my single player games that have crafting.

So you think clicking items to add them as ingredients, then clicking a button and waiting for a progress bar is deeper than adding ingredients, starting the crafting process, counteracting events that take place, and taking damage if you fail (and possibly dying in the process), increasing quality and the crafting process if you succeed, until the item is crafted?

Ok.
    'how' i create something is not of intrest to me frankly. clicking buttons at the right time in a mini game that zero context whatsoever remotely to do with actually making such an item in real life is not intresting to me

'what' i can create and what ingredients are involved and various combinations of them are of interest.

taking wurm for example, there are about 10 different tools, each tool for a different job, there is quality, there is durablity, there is improving, you can build carts, you can build boats and large items of course require multiple tools, multiple materials, that are crafted from other skills

The events you countered were related to things happening when you crafted, ie forge fire flaring or going out  when forging
    it was uninteresting to me as a dedicated crafter, I left for more interesting crafting games.

Just how I find how stone bricks are made intresting, what the raw material is, how its cooked and how I can make a house from it. I find that more intresting then how to use a trowl.

Now...I would suggest you guys try some of these games so can have a baseline understanding of what I am talking about. because in EQ2 there isnt even any need to make bricks, let alone a trowl
    Excession

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I agree,i liked the original crafting and wanted even more depth.Sadly many have talked about too many devs aiming to copy Blizzard and Wow and how it would affect future of gaming.Well i saw it in Square Enix,Soe and literally hundreds of upstart indie mmorpgs.

EQ2 had housing items to craft which since most games don't have housing was an added layer of depth.
    However one thing for certain is what someone did in the past doesn't mean squat to the future.Case in point Smedley or Lord British.It is always about money and profits and with the industry seeing how easy it is to sell crap now days ,tons of devs are just whipping  out half baked early crap and they know it has a good chance of selling.
    When Smedley got axed from DB,i could not believe the crap he was trying to sell us.

I'm a former Soe employee,i made DAOC,i worked at Blizzard,you know,IDC,whatever  you did in the past means nothing to me,if your trying to sell me crap,i will call it out as being crap.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Wizardry said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

I agree,i liked the original crafting and wanted even more depth.Sadly many have talked about too many devs aiming to copy Blizzard and Wow and how it would affect future of gaming.Well i saw it in Square Enix,Soe and literally hundreds of upstart indie mmorpgs.

EQ2 had housing items to craft which since most games don't have housing was an added layer of depth.
    However one thing for certain is what someone did in the past doesn't mean squat to the future.Case in point Smedley or Lord British.It is always about money and profits and with the industry seeing how easy it is to sell crap now days ,tons of devs are just whipping  out half baked early crap and they know it has a good chance of selling.
    When Smedley got axed from DB,i could not believe the crap he was trying to sell us.

I'm a former Soe employee,i made DAOC,i worked at Blizzard,you know,IDC,whatever  you did in the past means nothing to me,if your trying to sell me crap,i will call it out as being crap.
    yeah so I am trying to wrap my head around something and I dont have context because its been since around 2010 since I last played a mainstream MMO.

1. I would assume most modern MMOs now have 'housing', I mean in the multiplayer/single player world that is kinda common and expected (i mean at least in my ecosystem).

2. How is EQ2 different from modern MMOs (assuming I am right about number 1)

3. as a side note, EQ2 housing for those who have never experienced housing or crafting might seem to be rather cool but really its extreemly basic compared to the games I have been exposed to.

but I am mostly intrested in number 2 on my list

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    SEANMCAD said:
    Wizardry said:
    Excession said:
    SEANMCAD said:

What? Are you serious?

yeah so I am trying to wrap my head around something and I dont have context because its been since around 2010 since I last played a mainstream MMO.

1. I would assume most modern MMOs now have 'housing', I mean in the multiplayer/single player world that is kinda common and expected (i mean at least in my ecosystem).

2. How is EQ2 different from modern MMOs (assuming I am right about number 1)

3. as a side note, EQ2 housing for those who have never experienced housing or crafting might seem to be rather cool but really its extreemly basic compared to the games I have been exposed to.

but I am mostly intrested in number 2 on my list

I myself have been looking for an EQ 2 game but set in an open world environment. ArcheAge was close but it was to PVE focused and of course somewhat pay to win.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

I've not seen more than a few screen shots and a gif but it already looks like yet another "innovative" twitch mmo. I can barely walk without stumbling over those.

The game has been in development for awhile, but it goes up on kickstarter in a few days.

Lol .. another KS "please-give-me-your-cash-first" money grab? When there is actually a game, may be i will give it 10 min to check it out .. assuming it is f2p. 

Otherwise, there is really nothing to see here. There are plenty of good games to play now. I don't need to pay for "wishful thinking". 

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

I've not seen more than a few screen shots and a gif but it already looks like yet another "innovative" twitch mmo. I can barely walk without stumbling over those.

The game has been in development for awhile, but it goes up on kickstarter in a few days.

Lol .. another KS "please-give-me-your-cash-first" money grab? When there is actually a game, may be i will give it 10 min to check it out .. assuming it is f2p. 

Otherwise, there is really nothing to see here. There are plenty of good games to play now. I don't need to pay for "wishful thinking". 

Sadly the whole MMO world is going this way because it is small studios trying to make them and need cash up front.....All the triple A companies seem to have left the genre.
    Xateric said:

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

Sadly the whole MMO world is going this way because it is small studios trying to make them and need cash up front.....All the triple A companies seem to have left the genre.
    So games like Destiny 2 (now is it or is it not a MMO .. the inquiring mind wants to ponder). 

No one needs to play MMOs. Plus, i highly doubt the abilities of small studios trying to make MMOs. I go where the AAA good games are, not where MMOs are. 
    Excession
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Xateric said:

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

So games like Destiny 2 (now is it or is it not a MMO .. the inquiring mind wants to ponder). 

No one needs to play MMOs. Plus, i highly doubt the abilities of small studios trying to make MMOs. I go where the AAA good games are, not where MMOs are. 
    Considering you don't like much of anything MMOs have to offer your preferences are unsurprising.

I hate driving games, totally useless,  heck if I wanted to drive I'd just fire up the truck and go.

:)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    How old and decrepit do you have to be to call THIS game "twitchy"? FFS get a Choose Your Own Adventure Book or something.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    How old and decrepit do you have to be to call THIS game "twitchy"? FFS get a Choose Your Own Adventure Book or something.  :D
    You sir deserve a medal cause that was hilarious. I'm still chuckling even writing this post. I have hope for this game. Not enough to pay into it, but enough to at least hope.
    Kyleran said:
    Xateric said:

Xateric said:

Velifax said:

Considering you don't like much of anything MMOs have to offer your preferences are unsurprising.

I hate driving games, totally useless,  heck if I wanted to drive I'd just fire up the truck and go.

Totally agree with you. I fired up the demo of a truck sim once just to see what was the fuzz. Quit with 5 min. Bored me out of my tears.

But .. MMOs? Some are great as single player games. Marvel Heroes was actually quote good until recently. The Secret World is also a decent single player game, although i wish they have updated the production value. Star Trek online is the only TNG era RPG available.

So i suppose you are not totally correct. I am mildly amused by *some* MMOs (and of course depending on your definition ... if you go by THIS site's definition, Warframe is also quite a nice game), at least a lot more than driving games (or worse .. FISHING games).

Kyleran

Hey now I am old and decrepit, in fact I see posting on the forums as twitchy..... :)
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Kyleran said:

This is better than any video game:

If you are buying,  I'll be happy to drive it.

B)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

This is better than any video game:

If you are buying,  I'll be happy to drive it.

B)
    It's actually mine (Alfa Romeo GTV 3.2 V6), you're welcome to visit in France and I may eventually let you drive it for a few kilometers ;)
    Someday I may take you up on that offer when wife and I make our Euro tour, but the next trip is to Alaska I think, some sort of bucket list thing older folks here stateside get in their heads.

[Deleted User]

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Kyleran said:

Someday I may take you up on that offer when wife and I make our Euro tour, but the next trip is to Alaska I think, some sort of bucket list thing older folks here stateside get in their heads.
    I crossed that one off my list at the same time I crossed off "Being born."
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I see the question and not really answered soooo

Eq2 is actually the father of clones,Blizzard execs known for playing EQ imo were obviously in the loop on test servers as well for EQ2 so most likely were copying EQ2 which just so happens turns out Wow looks exactly like EQ2.

So in that sense EQ2 looks like Wow and all clones of now when talking modern you did not say MMORPG just MMO which of course is not the same thing.

Pretty much EVERYTHING i have seen the last 3-5 years is awful,it all looks like fast 1-2 year games rushing in with cash shops.Some are calling these mmo's,idc what they call them,they are off my to do list ,filed under garbage.

Games always have some mild differences but it is what you actually do in game and how you do it that makes a game different.In that sense EQ2 is exactly like 99% of the games,the few different were UO,FFXI,EQ1 etc etc.ALL the clone games are imo the anti MMO,they are designed to SOLO,designed to vee line to yellow markers,you could in essence remove the npc altogether as it is the yellow marker players are aiming at.

Obviously my opinion but even to this day EQ2 looks as good as most games because the detail and lighting was ahead of it's time while most games use terrible or cheap lighting often with no shaders and low detail.EQ2 is actually the template i use still to this day to rate and judge other mmorpg's of that type because it does so much.I don't have enough time and writing capacity to mention al the subtle little things EQ2 does beyond what all the Wow and clones do.
    jeddakusSovrath

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The developers have enough passion for this game to entice me to try it out when it releases.  It can pass or fail on its own merits.

• jeddakusjeddakus Member CommonPosts: 8
    Wizardry said:

Games always have some mild differences but it is what you actually do in game and how you do it that makes a game different.In that sense EQ2 is exactly like 99% of the games,the few different were UO,FFXI,EQ1 etc etc.ALL the clone games are imo the anti MMO,they are designed to SOLO,designed to vee line to yellow markers,you could in essence remove the npc altogether as it is the yellow marker players are aiming at.

Oh how I wish we could go back to when games we're different and each one we tried it was an eye opening experience instead of just another clone of what has come before. I understand why it happens but it doesn't make it any easier. No game should be called a MMO when it focuses on soloing. Many mmo's that were once group focused games are now solo-centric or they wouldn't be around as long as they have.  (and of course this is my opinion as I only know how to voice my own). thanks for the insights.
    jeddakus said:
    Wizardry said:

"No game should be called a MMO when it focuses on soloing. "  This is so very true....

I am playing Black Desert and any game that has no trading should not be called MMO as well!
    The developers have enough passion for this game to entice me to try it out when it releases.  It can pass or fail on its own merits.

That is what I liked the best, was the enthusiasm from the dev crew.
    Kyleran said:

That is also why i don't play driving games. But again, Destiny 2 is fun (for me). So it is AAA and fun. Is there a reason why I should ignore it just because it does not fit the definition of MMO of some random poster here?
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    It should be against the mmorpg.com rules to mask referral links in an original post.
    OG_Zorvan said:
    It should be against the mmorpg.com rules to mask referral links in an original post.
    It is. There is, after all, a reason one of the things you can report someone for is "Referral Links". 
    I did not think it would be since if you go to Ashes of Creations page on MMORPG and click on Official Game Link it is actually a referral link for MMORPG.com, even though that seems like a conflict of interest I thought if they were doing it and pitching the game it would not be against the rules.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited December 2017
    Instead of creating a new game, they should just relaunch the original EQ2. It's different enough in it's original presentation and mechanics back then to qualify as a completely different game. It pisses me off how much they've gutted that game in a shallow effort to go trendy and F2P. When the game first launched I wasn't mature enough as a gamer to understand what they were trying to do with it, but it was as close to being a 'virtual world' as a theme park can get. I'll never understand why the hell devs go back and mess with their original contet, or as in EQ2's case remove half of it from the game. MMO's are originally in development for years and in a AAA title like EQ2 would've had hundreds of people who worked on it. Then 8 years later when they have a staff of like 10 people they decide they can suddenly make better content in 4 months while working on it for a fraction of the time so it's fine to go ahead and shit all over the original product. Just pathetic. 

The graphics engine is terrible.  That, by itself, is going to turn off many people.

EQ2 needs a new graphics engine, and they need to prune the amount of classes the game has.  There are too many.  It's a balancing nightmare.

I don't think the majority of MMORPG players are going to want to play another game "like WoW" without robust Add-On System, either.

Their UI is atrocious and needs a complete overhaul.

---

What the EQ franchise needs is a new game, and they really need to find a way to migrate players off of those older games and shut them down.  Focus on one, if possible.  This way, people can have a complete story and new players will get a full experience with a decent community from the lowest levels to the upper levels.

What they are doing by dragging on EQ and EQ2 is diluting the IP.  They are basically reusing core facets of the IP (Kunark, Velious, etc.) to the point that no one is going to care that much about a new game.  Blizzard has been a lot more responsible with their IP in WoW, for example.  The story keeps moving forward, without revisiting prior events to the extent this happens in the EQ games.

This means that, should Blizzard decides to release a WoW 2, the story will simply continue on that trajectory...  It will not be a mess of redundancy.  Any new EQ game is almost guaranteed to be just that...  They're better off just starting over and doing something similar to what Blizzard has done with WoW.  The way Blizzard has paced their story and managed their IP across expansions and content patches is a huge reason why people still like that game.

EQNext was what they needed, but they decided to do things too differently.  Also, many people saw that game as EQ in name and generally Look-and-Feel only.  They should have simply stuck with the formula they know how to work with, or desgined something similar to GW2 that was B2P with Paid Expansions.

What EQ needs is a graphical overhaul and a new engine, along with more emphasis on the Lore/Story and less on "Buy a Level 85 Boost to play with your friends!"  If they released EQ or EQ2 on WoW's engine with updated mechanics to match, that would literally be enough to move the vast majority of their players onto that one game, for example, and concentrate their development focus.  They could probably charge a subscription for it easily ($9.99/mo. if they really wanted to compete fiercely in the current market).
    Mendel