Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle Chasers: Nightwar is a Classic JRPG for a New Era - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBattle Chasers: Nightwar is a Classic JRPG for a New Era - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Battle Chasers: Nightwar, from the studio founded for its creation (Airship Syndicate), is a love letter to 16-bit era JRPGs, but also a revival of one of studio founder Joe Madureira’s most personal works. Battle Chasers is a cult-classic fantasy comic, and now it’s bound to become a cult classic RPG. The recently released game sports gorgeous visuals, great voice acting, and strategic turn-based combat to make a compelling experience that’s worth any fan of the genre’s time.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Nice review Bill!

Only thing I don't completely agree with is the grind. I mean JRPGs have almost always been grindy. I think it's just how they are. How does the grind in this compare to, say, FF1? Or DW1? I'd say it's pretty.. not bad. I saw the grind mentioned elsewhere too. Contextually, though, I don't think it's that bad for anyone who's played any number of JRPGs (especially classic ones)
    BillMurphyMrMelGibsonConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    CrazKanuk said:
    Nice review Bill!

Only thing I don't completely agree with is the grind. I mean JRPGs have almost always been grindy. I think it's just how they are. How does the grind in this compare to, say, FF1? Or DW1? I'd say it's pretty.. not bad. I saw the grind mentioned elsewhere too. Contextually, though, I don't think it's that bad for anyone who's played any number of JRPGs (especially classic ones)
    Agreed! I felt like it needed to be mentioned, because some will be turned off. Frankly, it's not bad at all and the game is fun enough and the randomness of dungeons keeps grinding interesting.
    RemyVorenderMrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I absolutely love this was looking at the steam page. Looks like something I will enjoy

http://store.steampowered.com/app/451020/Battle_Chasers_Nightwar/

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Definitely going on the wishlist.  Hopefully I can make some time for it soon.  I wish this game and a few other turn based JRPGs on steam would launch on android.  Love playing turn based games on my tablet.
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Pre-ordered for Switch when we originally covered it on www.gamespace.com :-)
    MrMelGibson
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Been playing this with my 6 year old ... He loves it ..... Good game
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    love the game. my only complaint is the overworld. i wish we had more freedom. everything else, though, is amazing.
  • kalcakalca Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Yep great game and review maybe it deserves a bit bigger score.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    edited October 2017
    Okay, I feel dumb: What's a JRPG? What's the J stand for? Japanese?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am a fan of JRPG's but idk the lack of 3d video cutscenes or live cutscenes sort of makes it look cheap.

I heard that someone started this game a long time ago but never finished it.
    I look at single player games,i feel like FFX is miles above this,i can't think about wasting my time away playing a far inferior  old game.Point being ,i would rather replay FFX than this.

It has voice overs but all the still shots just makes the game look so old.
    The Kickstarter started somewhere around 2015 so it is barely 2 years old.This is what i have been mentioning a lot,devs are aiming for cheaper game builds recently a couple years for a rpg,not enough effort and from a small team no doubt,so more like 1 year worth of work.

Apparently there is no overcharge abilities yet,seems a knockoff of FF overdrive ideas.

If you or i  can look past the terrible cheap cutscenes it is ok,i mean it looks easily as good as say Zelda that received high scores,the same basic pastel/cartoon graphics.I realize it is based off an old comic book so yeah the graphics make some sense.
    It comes close,i mean i am a JRPG fan but i still can't consider a purchase here.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Let's hope the patches come out more regularly than the comic book did.  That guy was the ultimate slacker.
    Okay, I feel dumb: What's a JRPG? What's the J stand for? Japanese?

Yup! You got it! 
    [Deleted User]DavodtheTutt

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Nice review Bill!

Agreed! I felt like it needed to be mentioned, because some will be turned off. Frankly, it's not bad at all and the game is fun enough and the randomness of dungeons keeps grinding interesting.

It is noticeable because new games present the grind differently. When I was playing through Goken and hit some progress walls I had to grind out some levels or upgrade mats. It wasn't horrible though but it made me wonder if that would be off-putting to the modern gamer. :lol:

This was a great review and it's on the wishlist. It was interesting reading Ralphs review alongside. Thanks for linking it.

Ooooo, Goken looks very pretty. Would you give it a solid recommend? 

As far as progression goes, I do think this game would be off-putting to many. Especially the turn-based combat. I feel like everything needs to be frantic these days. For me, I enjoy playing something where if I want a sandwich, by god! I'm going to make a sandwich. Oh! AAAAAND I can eat my sandwich while playing it. 

Then I contrast that against something like Destiny. This addresses my desire to see them do away with the "needless" grind that we see in MMOs much too often. I mean continuous gear progression??? Yes please! However, it makes me wonder whether having this type of convenience isn't just making the idea of "new gear" seem somewhat less exciting. New Exotic!!! Hurray??? 

Maybe it's just another double-edged sword. Either way, both of the games implement their progress fairly well, all things considered. If nothing else, I think it will serve to illustrate what's gratifying and what isn't. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------