Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there ever be another "deep" Star Wars MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    No.
    mranere

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I really wish Jodorowsky would've made Dune. Sadly it's one of those wonderful things which died before birth. Check his documentary about it, very interesting if you are a fan.
    I certainly am. The thing that makes Dune so good for deep gameplay is the intrigues and corrupt nobles. Star wars is the classical story against good Vs evil and that tend to be rather lighter. House Harkonnen makes the Lannisters look like normal civilized people.

Then again, making any MMO deep is far from easy no matter what IP you use.
    ConstantineMerus
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited October 2017
    Dauzqul said:
    Will there ever be another "deep" Star Wars MMORPG?

During my experience with the Battlefront 2 beta, it was hard not to imagine a full-blown Star Wars MMORPG with similar aesthetics, animations, and combat. Combine that with a gigantic world, deep crafting, world housing, and player economies...    $$$$$.

How much longer will EA have the exclusive Star Wars license ;/
    No. It's all about cashing in and milking. It will have to be a new IP and/or indy for any hope of depth. Depth doesn't sell to the masses. Star Wars is done unless you want the endless re-hash with Star Wars skin on it and a cash shop.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Loke666 said:
    House Harkonnen makes the Lannisters look like normal civilized people.
    Wrong comparison in my opinion.
    The Harkonnen would be the Slavers of Slaver's Bay.
    And the Fremen would be the Dothraki, kind of.
    Phew, Vladimir would out-intrigue those slavers with his left hand even though he do share their sense of values.   
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Star Wars was never deep to begin with (well maybe for the time period it was written in).  It was an action-adventure trilogy similar to Indiana Jones.  I am often a bit sad that new movies were created.  The original series was a large part of my childhood and the new series has fragmented the fan base.  I will always prefer the original trilogy.  My favorite Star Wars game isn't Star Wars Galaxies.  It's KOTOR 1 and 2.  I feel they best captured the journey of the original movies.

I could see an indie game being made with the depth of Star Wars galaxies, but I don't think it would be set in the Star Wars universe.  That isn't always a bad thing.  For instance, Mass Efffect 1, 2, and 3 were quite good games in spite of not having a big name IP.  
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    They could make a Star Wars MMORPG about people who live near the core of a planet. That would be very deep.
    As close as you are gonna get for now lol
    http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/17/disneys-new-star-wars-ride-is-half-an-mmo/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• mraneremranere Member UncommonPosts: 29
    The are 'deep' MMOs being made? Lulz...
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I'm going to guess no, not just because deep MMOs are so rare in any capacity, not just because SWTOR will have to die before they'll even consider it, but because of the idea of using worlds with pre-established lore.

Pre-established lore really gets in the way of taking creative license in a setting. The more beloved the lore the more fans will get irate over any and every mistake you make. This is why I think MMOs are best made in fully original settings, because it gives complete creative license to do whatever the heck you want.

However, SWTOR was smart enough to pick a setting they did have a lot of control over within the Star Wars universe... and then they trashed it with a WoW Clone. So now you wouldn't even want to do a good sandbox set during that time period because you have to worry about conflicting with all the lore from the KOTOR games and SWTOR.

Maybe if some really cool setting pops up that happens thousands of years in the future in the Star Wars universe that would be a good setting. Otherwise I think it would be better to do an original IP.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Viper482 said:
    The question is "will there ever be another deep MMORPG?"
    It should be "will there ever be another MMORPG?"

Sure .. just call Destiny 2 one and you can have one really soon. 
    ConstantineMerus
    Why a "deep" one when a "fun" one will do?

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Are we still talking about games? :|
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung

I don't know about you .. but i play games for fun. If games are fun, why bother?
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Don't feed the troll!  Just ignore him and he'll likely earn himself another ban soon enough. ;)

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Also, I'm detecting some innuendo here....
    ConstantineMerus

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

Also, I'm detecting some innuendo here....
    Thank you! ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung