Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous - Everything Coming to Commanders in 2018 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageElite: Dangerous - Everything Coming to Commanders in 2018 - MMORPG.com

The impending threat of alien invasion, or maybe just utter annihilation, looms heavy on the horizon for players of Elite Dangerous. The Thargoids came back to the fore this year and during the keynote speech at Frontier Expo 2017, we found out that this is just the start of the action.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Freaking sweet! Braben is a genius...and British ;)
    BananaSoup[Deleted User]Phry
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    SC could use some help from you folks in my opion.
    VoidfarerAgent_JosephOctagon7711Phryneveser
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sounds interesting, now for the execution.
    Voidfarer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Squadrons and carriers is IMHO the most interesting bit.

The exploration diary also sounds cool.

Have fun
    VoidfarerOctagon7711
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    What about planets with atmosphere? (let alone life forms) The devs were going to add them in 2017.
    mrputtsZeneren

Thank you for your time!

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    What about giving us an option to reduce the realism and auto-dock from 10,000km out? 
    Gdemami[Deleted User]Octagon7711
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Talonsin said:
    What about giving us an option to reduce the realism and auto-dock from 10,000km out? 
    What ? And not listen to the "Blue Danube" waltz from my docking computer ?

Naah !

Heresy !

Have fun
    Phry
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Still the best modern single-player space game !
    VoidfarermrputtsAgent_Josephsgelklash2defOctagon7711Zeneren
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    OK, now my two bits on this. I'm seriously becoming disappointed in this games development. So many promises not kept from the initial game design that we were shown back just before the crowd funding was started - and as one of those backers it ticks me off that the game is being made into a clone of EVE instead of actually staying true to Elite.

Next year they are fixing things or adding things that should have been done ages ago. Beige planets were caused by the developers screwing up the graphics engine(should have been fixed long ago). Guilds should have been in game year one(not added as an after thought in the 5th year of development). Second we were told we'd have space-legs, atmo-flight and landing, and be able to actually get out of our ships and explore with our characters. Now we're being told that that has been put on the back burner and well it'll get added eventually - someday...maybe down the road.

Where is this awesome star map system that has yet to see the light of day.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/13/jul/elitebig.png

Where are all the alien species that were in the original game? Instead all we have are humans and Thargoids and we don't even yet know what Thargoids look like. Really...4 years and we have a game filled with place-holding mechanics, poorly implemented mechanics(don't get me started on the lame system of getting around in a planetary system - one we can't make small jumps in from planet to planet - or from a planet in system to a planet in another) and the game is just a reflection of what Elite was back in the day.

Seriously...I love what ED was supposed to be...but not where is is going. So disappointed.
    KyleranmrputtsScotty787rpmcmurphyAsm0deusLazarus71starros[Deleted User]TyrianPrimeGdemamiand 3 others.
    Teala said:
    OK, now my two bits on this. I'm seriously becoming disappointed in this games development. So many promises not kept from the initial game design that we were shown back just before the crowd funding was started - and as one of those backers it ticks me off that the game is being made into a clone of EVE instead of actually staying true to Elite.

Next year they are fixing things or adding things that should have been done ages ago. Beige planets were caused by the developers screwing up the graphics engine(should have been fixed long ago). Guilds should have been in game year one(not added as an after thought in the 5th year of development). Second we were told we'd have space-legs, atmo-flight and landing, and be able to actually get out of our ships and explore with our characters. Now we're being told that that has been put on the back burner and well it'll get added eventually - someday...maybe down the road.

Where are all the alien species that were in the original game? Instead all we have are humans and Thargoids and we don't even yet know what Thargoids look like. Really...4 years and we have a game filled with place-holding mechanics, poorly implemented mechanics(don't get me started on the lame system of getting around in a planetary system - one we can't make small jumps in from planet to planet - or from a planet in system to a planet in another) and the game is just a reflection of what Elite was back in the day.

Seriously...I love what ED was supposed to be...but not where is is going. So disappointed.
    As I said in the other thread,  it seems like this game has never been "finished" at least from the perspective of promised functionality that they don't seem to be focusing on.

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180

There's no real competition...
    Agent_Joseph[Deleted User]TyrianPrimeGdemamiOctagon7711
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Teala said:

Are they really promises? Is stuff mentioned prior to actual development taking place something that is set in stone? I consider development as a period of flux where plans change depending on various factors. If we take everything as promises then we're bound to end up disappointed.

Teala said:

The beige-ification was looked at but they've obviously held off going further because they want to upgrade lighting, fog and scattering on planets so why not do everything together?

Sure it would have been nice if all of this was in at day one but I think that's expecting far too much considering they started beginning of 2013 and released late 2014...

We were told walking, atmospheric planets/landings were stuff they wanted to do. Not that it would be coming in season 3. Again it seems like you are setting yourself up for disappointment by confusing wishes with promises.

Teala said:

Just lol. The Thargoids are part of the current narrative, if they threw out a whole bunch of aliens it would completely dilute the focus of the Thargoid menace and storyline. You see the same done in games like EVE where the focus is on a specific element at that time.
    Micro jumps are not in place to encourage other forms of gameplay, ie piracy. If you could hop from A -> B within a system you'd be practically immune to interdictions and all the gameplay that goes with it. That would be awful.

Sounds like you should still be playing the previos versions of Elite rather than this one.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited October 2017

Teala said:

Yeah I agree on most point here, I said as much in the other thread about this. One thing I would like to add though is the stuff like space legs have no point until the basic gameplay stuff, like mentioned here is added.

If ED is not careful SC is going to sneak up on them.

Btw here's what I posted in that other thread the other day:

Frontier Expo
    • We watch a video of four Thargoids chasing a Cobra Mark 3, before one of the Thargoids turns to us and initiates a scan.
    • Enthusiasm of working on the game in its 3rd year remains high.
    • Behind the scenes video of the ED team hard at work. This team clearly cares about their work and the content they’re delivering, as well as the passion the community has for the game.
    • 2018 updates will be focused on three areas- Core Game Improvements, Narrative Expansion, and new features which build on the first 2.
    • Season 3 of Elite Dangerous is called “Beyond”.
    • 2018 roadmap – Q1, Core improvements, followed by 2 more updates delivering new ships, missions, scenarios. More on Q4 in a bit.
    • Q1 – A bunch of QoL improvements.
    • Engineering improvement – when rolling a blueprint spin, that spin will always be better than the previous spin.
    • Improvements to system authority.  new improved crime and punishment system
    • Improved Trade Data. Traders rejoice!
    • Wing missions! Suppose to be harder than solo missions
    • Asset polish to planets in Q1 2018 (Shaders and Graphs).
    • Wide variety of planetary color variation. In Q1 2018 end to the great beigefication!
    • Narrative improvements.
    • Another video. SRV visiting Guardian base. Intercepted by Thargoid. Oh, it doesn’t like Guardian Tech! Example of narrative thread which Frontier will be expanding on.
    • Q1 will continue the Guardian story. New experiences, CGs, players working together.
    • Personal narrative will be expanded.
    • Ohh, new equipment! A new weapon, a gun of some-kind, and what looks like scientific equipment/sensors are on the way! Related to personal narrative.
    • Frontier not done with Guardians, not by a long shot.
    • Galnet update!!! New feature, Galnet Audio which will read out Galnet articles while you’re in flight in your cockpit.
    • New ships!!!
    • “A lot more ships in incoming updates”
    • New ship shown – the Chieftain– work in progress mesh shown. It’s an answer to a dangerous universe and return of Thargoids. It’s an Allance-Lakon vessel, a more military Lakon vessel.
    • More alliance ships on the way!
    • Another new ship announced - then the 1984 version of the Krait is shown! Cue biggest cheer of the night! Then 2018 re-design shown. Unique cockpit placement among with hardpoint placement.
    • Q4 will be largest update for 2018 – there will be a new organisation structure for player groups called Squadron (guilds). Create your own, featuring enhanced communication options regardless of what squadron members are doing in the game.
    • Squadrons can purchase their own fleet carriers! Large, mobile, dockable ships. Squadron members can refuel, rearm etc.
    • Mining improvements! Improvements to detection and extraction of materials. Frontier looking to improve Wild-West feel of prospecting.
    • Concept art of ice planet shown, enhancements coming to planetary surfaces and environments.
    • Improved lighting model, both space and planetary.
    • Improvements to scatter-rock planetary system to improve placements of rocks and other surface objects.
    • Improvements to localised ambient effects including fog.
    • Exploring improvements, to how you find stuff.
    • New feature – the Codex will log your discoveries. It will also serve as an encyclopaedia, and will hint at other potential discoveries for explorers.
    • For explorers, there will be new exploration content and new anomalies to go out and find.
    • There’s a lot more content to be revealed in ED: Beyond. And its all going to be free to Horizons players.
    • But what about 2.4? Sneak peek video!
    • Is that the Type 10? It could be a Type 9 to be honest. Typing and watching so I could be mistaken.
    • SRVs at deserted Inra base.
    • Thargoid ship destroyed in space. One of the human Commanders scoops up something (a Thargoid probe?) at which point 3 Thagroid Interceptors jumps in and unleash swarms of Thargons.

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    edited October 2017
    I bought the game knowing about the seasonal content but though I love the game I have never purchased the seasonal updates like Horizons because it just feels like paying for stuff that should have been in the game from the beginning. This trend of paying developers to finish a game you already paid a full purchase price for is not a good thing in my opinion though it seems to be here to stay.
    VoidfarerAsm0deusKyleranPhryOctagon7711

No signature, I don't have a pen

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I see what you did there:)

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

Teala said:

I love this. Players complain when many features promised aren't delivered on release, but then on the SC side, complain that release is taking so long because of too many features. Catch 22.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Daranar said:

Teala said:

I love this. Players complain when many features promised aren't delivered on release, but then on the SC side, complain that release is taking so long because of too many features. Catch 22.
    Heh I am pretty sure Teala has not ever been one to give SC a hard time on that front.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Daranar said:

One of the single best reasons I've found to stop paying so much attention to the pre-release cycle of development. Way less frustration, and I can actually judge a game based on what it offers, and  enjoy that. I'm not worried about what they may or may not have promised, suggested, or wanted to do (which seems to be the primary driver for many people to get bent out of shape.) and I can just play what IS there. 

Quality of life improvement.....

Octagon7711
    Daranar said:

Teala said:

Its due to developers painting a rosy picture of what the "full game" will be like without actually defining what the actual MVP is, when it will deliver, and then a timeline for the rest.

I don't know if Frontier made any hard promises on the features Teala is looking for, like not, nor are they doing so today I'm  guessing.

So the game she wants to play is no where on the (event) horizon so it leads to disappointment.

SC suffers from the same problem, vague scope,  ill defined and always missed dates, the result will be the same.
    Gdemami

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Talonsin said:

Buy the mount that auto docks.
    MadFrenchieOctagon7711
  • Major69er1Major69er1 Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I'm still waiting on confirmation on support for mixed reality.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Daranar said:

Teala said:

Its due to developers painting a rosy picture of what the "full game" will be like without actually defining what the actual MVP is, when it will deliver, and then a timeline for the rest.

I don't know if Frontier made any hard promises on the features Teala is looking for, like not, nor are they doing so today I'm  guessing.

So the game she wants to play is no where on the (event) horizon so it leads to disappointment.

SC suffers from the same problem, vague scope,  ill defined and always missed dates, the result will be the same.
    Agreed.  Developers that wish to utilize crowdfunding consciously choose to put themselves in this position if they don't make an effort to constrain hype and keep their base realistic.

However, they wouldn't get nearly as much funding, which means many of the projects would end up in the same position they would've been had they attempted to get one of those evil publishers to fund the project.

The method by which Frontier has released and developed the game is much more user-friendly and upfront than its pie-in-the-sky promised cousin.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Can you get off your ship in this game? I usually don't play space games because they never let me land at a space station and play on the ground at will then go back to my ship when i want to.

The last space game i played where gameplay was restricted to a space ship was Star Fox 64. Haven't really looked forward to anything else that follows the same gameplay restrictions.

• PapasteakPapasteak Member UncommonPosts: 2

Elsabolts said:

SC could use some help from you folks in my opion.

No thanks.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Kyleran said:

No Frontier were really careful about this, it's one of the reasons I have a lot more respect for them (from a consumer stance).
    They always said things like "We would like..." "In the future we hope to...." "That is something we would like to do..." etc, unlike CIG for example that wholly agrees to all sorts of stuff and even sells things for non-existent features that may or may not arrive years and years down the line.

The trouble, as per usual with most of these things, is that people read what they want to read or simply misremember what they thought they read.

Can you get off your ship in this game? I usually don't play space games because they never let me land at a space station and play on the ground at will then go back to my ship when i want to.

The last space game i played where gameplay was restricted to a space ship was Star Fox 64. Haven't really looked forward to anything else that follows the same gameplay restrictions.

You can only get off your ship by moving into a ground based vehicle, there's no walking about as a character at this stage. It's something they would like to do but it's a long way away.