Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow Of War: microtransactions!

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Renoaku said:
    I wonder if the game will have Denuvo.

Game looks interesting but I will not buy any title if its going to have this, I have not gotten any response from them if it has it or not yet although I believe other games have it so I am not going to put my pc at risk.
    You're the gamer version of jumper-cable guy.
    [Deleted User]RexKushmanMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    That money grubbing orc rubbing it's hands together really sums up the cash shop cancer. I won't be playing this.
    IselinKayo83

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Not sure what I expected. Greed and the stupidity of the average human wins out yet again. The entire world is going to be nothing but microtransactions. Its only a matter of time before I will have to manage my bandwidth from visiting Sites not on the list. MMORPG.com obviously won't have enough money to be on the list.

GL guys. 
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    I always get a good chuckle when I see threads like this. I have been in the gaming industry for a long time, and it amazes me that people (not individuals, the masses) dont learn over time. Threads like this are a push back against companies/products doing something that people feel is wrong... but only exists because of the support from the masses. In a way it reminds of of American Politics... i.e. all Politicians are corrupt.... except the one that I vote for, they are a Saint.

Micro-transactions are not inherently wrong in any fashion. It is basically just a copy of how purchases work with retail. 

Loot Boxes are a bit different, as they randomize the results. They are a way to hide the true cost, as well as a way to flood the market with lower value items. They are very similar to game mechanics that do the same thing. I can see why some people dont like them, but I can also see why companies sell them (i.e. they work).

The reality is that a game no longer costs $X. That is just the upfront price, which is set at a point that is sell able. The real cost is higher than the market will accept, so it has to be obscured, and secondary sales is one way to do this. The advantage of an open ended system (where there is no limit to how much you can spend) is that it allows some people to pay a whole lot...which covers the cost of those that dont.

Some people do not believe that this is fair... and they are right to some extent. However, economics is not a moral code (which is why corporation's are psychotic). These games are made by companies seeking a profit (no profit, no game) which is validated by the money you spend on them.

If people want to see companies change, they will first have to change how they spend. This can not be done by NOT spending money... but can only be done by spending MORE money. Companies are chasing the money spent, and if you want them to stop chasing the easy money that is already out there... you need to show them a bigger pot somewhere else.
    SovrathCryomatrixConstantineMerus[Deleted User]RexKushman
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wasn't there a chart that showed that gaming companies have made record profits over the past years?  If so, this isn't about just profits it's about finding ways to squeeze out every penny they can from their customer base.  The goal is not profits, the goal is record profits.  That's when big bonuses come in at the upper levels of management.

But to each their own.  I'll get those games but so far have never had a reason to buy their RPG cash shop items in order to play the game. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gdemami said:
    Gorwe said:
    What interests me, otoh, is how many of these "microtransactions SUCK" people will buy them. And how many in general. 
    ...one would assume they do not suck if so many people buy them. But who cares about reason, right?
    Well they can most certainly suck and people will still buy them.People are just stupid when comes to spending money.
    I know the aged argument....well if that is what excites them ,spending money who am i to stop them".Well first of all ,there is a fine line to being entertained and being stupid with money and it affects us ALL in gaming when this is supported,that is why we are seeing so much of it.

As well the premise behind them has become even more dubious,they will bait and hook players int some FAKE free game,then hit them after they have invested time,figuring they now have them hooked.

It is good for business,bad for games because the game also needs to be designed and implemented around the cash shop.First of all,what do i care about the business end,i am looking for HQ games,it is not my job to make the sale.Secondly,i want the best possible game and by limiting what a game or player can do because of the cash shop is NOT delivering the best possible game.
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Wolfenstein 2 the new collosus releases on the 20th of this month, has loot boxes and micro transactions been announced yet?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Wasn't there a chart that showed that gaming companies have made record profits over the past years?  If so, this isn't about just profits it's about finding ways to squeeze out every penny they can from their customer base.  The goal is not profits, the goal is record profits.  That's when big bonuses come in at the upper levels of management.

But to each their own.  I'll get those games but so far have never had a reason to buy their RPG cash shop items in order to play the game. 
    That pretty much sums up "me".

I don't really buy extras unless I want them.

I think I can handle "a grind" if there is indeed one at the end of the game.

Also, and it seems that it is necessary to mention this, publicly traded companies are about making as much money as they can for their investors. It is what it is. Don't like it? Buy from indy companies.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The advantage of an open ended system (where there is no limit to how much you can spend) is that it allows some people to pay a whole lot...which covers the cost of those that dont.

Good post in general but this bit is indicative of the fallacy that is at the root of this seemingly crazy consumer behavior: it's the belief that there is a legitimate relationship between price and cost.

Microtransactions in B2P games have nothing to do with "covering cost." You can sort of make that argument for F2P games but not for the games that have an entry fee AND microtransactions on top. The big spenders are not "covering the cost" of anyone who isn't. It's just extra profit gravy unless the company is stupid enough to not cover its real cost with the universal entry fee.

YashaXGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Wizardry said:
    Gdemami said:
    Gorwe said:
    What interests me, otoh, is how many of these "microtransactions SUCK" people will buy them. And how many in general. 
    ...one would assume they do not suck if so many people buy them. But who cares about reason, right?
    Well they can most certainly suck and people will still buy them.People are just stupid when comes to spending money.
    I know the aged argument....well if that is what excites them ,spending money who am i to stop them".Well first of all ,there is a fine line to being entertained and being stupid with money and it affects us ALL in gaming when this is supported,that is why we are seeing so much of it.

Well, we are not a club. And I'm certainly not going to have my spending dictated by others because they feel wronged.

Also, who draws that fine line between being entertained and being stupid with their money? As I've said before, even though more people play video games (Though in truth I think most of that is mobile, on their phones while they wait, etc) There is still a large contingent of people who think they are a waste of time AND money.

How would you feel if someone said "really, you spend money on video games? You could be putting that back into your retirement" (or some such thing).

Pretty sure most/all of us would say screw you I'll buy what I want.

Well, same with people who spend money on microtransactions, dlc, etc.

As Supermanox said, you don't like it? Well, spend money on the things you do like. At the moment, given the feeling about microtransactions, that could be indy games.

Except some people want the AAA experience and won't put up with less. There's going to have to be some soul searching on this one if people are going to continue to play these types of games.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Wizardry said:
    Gdemami said:
    Gorwe said:

As well the premise behind them has become even more dubious,they will bait and hook players int some FAKE free game,then hit them after they have invested time,figuring they now have them hooked.

It is good for business,bad for games because the game also needs to be designed and implemented around the cash shop.First of all,what do i care about the business end,i am looking for HQ games,it is not my job to make the sale.Secondly,i want the best possible game and by limiting what a game or player can do because of the cash shop is NOT delivering the best possible game.
    People who are bad with money usually pass those skills on to their children just as people who are good with money usually start training their kids at an early age how to manage it correctly.

So you end up with over extended people who can barely pay their bills buying a founders pack because it make them feel good.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I think my wife spends money on real life microtransactions  . . . as you know . . . life is the biggest video game there is. 

Too bad my wife's microtransactions are like $200 bucks each. It is okay, i'm the nutless wonder who allows it. I hem and haw over $10 bucks for a video game . . .

Now back to the topic at hand, after I've ranted to an abyss on the internet. Please carry on. 

Cryomatrix

P.S. I have to say superman0x post is pretty insightful. I think cash shops and loot boxes are lame, but then again, i've fallen for the trap before depending on how addicting they are. This is the result of a capitalistic economy, if people can charge you for the air that you breathe, they would. Do what I do, don't play games predicated on cash shops and such. 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    So are people here ok with WB making two endings, one of which from what I am hearing is behind a serious grind wall? I am not going to buy it till I hear you guys that played it how big that grind is to the finale ending.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Asheram said:
    So are people here ok with WB making two endings, one of which from what I am hearing is behind a serious grind wall? I am not going to buy it till I hear you guys that played it how big that grind is to the finale ending.
    No matter how good it is, I'm not buying it at all. I won't support this kind of shit in a $60 game.
    RexKushmanNildenYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Asheram said:
    I'd like to be more clear as to what that "serious grind wall" actually entails.

If it just means playing the game a bit longer and I'm having fun then it's a "non-issue". To that point, in the first game I spent most of my time attacking forts and making a play session just out of that.

So if that is what it entails then that was fun and it's a non-issue.

IF it means that I have to scour the map for some item that is not apparent and I have to get 1000 of them then that's a problem.

I haven't decided with this game yet but most of the time I wait for the big sale.  I use to buy a game right away only to play it for a short while and let it collect dust while I played my regular games.  Then come back and play it through but shouldn't have waited for the sale.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Asheram said:
    I'd like to be more clear as to what that "serious grind wall" actually entails.

If it just means playing the game a bit longer and I'm having fun then it's a "non-issue". To that point, in the first game I spent most of my time attacking forts and making a play session just out of that.

IF it means that I have to scour the map for some item that is not apparent and I have to get 1000 of them then that's a problem.
    I don't understand why people care one of the ending can also be bought as long as you can also get it for free.

If the gameplay sucks, why do you even need the alterfuckingnative ending? 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Lol who the hell wants this in a single player game? 
    NildenYashaX

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    OMG like this hasn't been before in other buy to play games? get over it! to me this is just like having a micro DLC, quit bloody whining about this stuff, its so toxic in this community.
    IselinRexKushmanpantaroTheScavengerExcessionYashaX

imageimage

Sovrath said:
    Asheram said:

I don't understand why people care one of the ending can also be bought as long as you can also get it for free.

If the gameplay sucks, why do you even need the alterfuckingnative ending? 
    Yeah, is the "grind" just playing more of the game? And if you are playing more of the game and hating it then shouldn't someone not be playing the game?

ConstantineMerus

edited October 2017
    TaishiFox said:
    OMG like this hasn't been before in other buy to play games? get over it! to me this is just like having a micro DLC, quit bloody whining about this stuff, its so toxic in this community.
    So this game is now categorized with GW2 and ESO now both of which are buy to play games got it.
    I think I am going use my money for the buy to play game Wolfenstein 2 in 2 weeks instead.
    alkarionlog
    Asheram said:
    TaishiFox said:
    So this game is now categorized with GW2 and ESO now both of which are buy to play games got it.
    Well, technically they are buy to play games but I know what you mean. B)

edited October 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Asheram said:
    TaishiFox said:
    When you finish SoW please come back and report please I will wait for your review. The good, the bad and the ugly. :)
    Asheram said:
    Sovrath said:
    Asheram said:
    TaishiFox said:
    When you finish SoW please come back and report please I will wait for your review. The good, the bad and the ugly. :)
    Done and done!
    Asheram

Asherampantaro