Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guardians of Ember the Lovechild of WoW & Diablo? - Guardians of Ember Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageIs Guardians of Ember the Lovechild of WoW & Diablo? - Guardians of Ember Review - MMORPG.com

You may have heard of the developers at Runewaker. They've made such games as Runes of Magic and Dragon's Prophet. Well they've just recently released a new game, Guardians of Ember with several editions of varying prices on Steam. It's being described as a mix of a Hack and Slash type game like Diablo and traditional MMORPGs. Let's take a closer look at what all that intel's. This is our Guardians of Ember review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131
    So a mediocre game for 15€/$ with fp2 elements?

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    it was f2p in korea and it closed 2 months after release. Whoever paid for this crap got what he deserved: trash.
    Viper482NotEvadingTaxFraudAgnharNecroneus
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    I think you mean "entails" instead of "intel's".
    MightyUncleanKuervo
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited October 2017
    Lost Ark > This
    NotEvadingTaxFraudAgnhar

l2p

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Had to return game. It does not play nice with 21:9
    Yoofaloof
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    edited October 2017
    I have backed this from the beginning and just never really got into it. It feels too much like a FTP game and the AI is pretty bad. This really has no comparison in game play to WOW or Diablo, there is just too much that needs to be reworked. Sadly many games like this should just strive to be a good single player RPG and leave it at that.
    NotEvadingTaxFraud
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    If you consider WoW and Diablo brother and sister.
    alivenSamhaelLucienReneNecroneusMrMelGibsonAegirisxyzercrimeSomArroyoKrky7Holst86and 2 others.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    The game is not great. It feels unpolished and the overall map design seems untetailed en generated. This game deserves a 4 imo. Especiallly due to the cash grab campaign.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Every game Runewalker comes out with has great ideas but awful implementation. Dragons Prophet was actually fun, but the buggy nature of the games launch and the cash shop ruined it. This game has some good ideas but from what I can tell it isn't good at all.
    [Deleted User]SomeHumanElvoc
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    This review is from march - a B2P game with a cash shop.

• NabeShogunNabeShogun Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I really want to try this game as I'd like a bit more of an MMO-ish arpg and I don't think we'll be seeing lost ark any time soon (been having some performance woes in PoE and grim dawn is more single player focused) ... but insel games were the guys that did Trinium Wars I believe and that was straight up terrible (and a failed Asian game brought to the west) plus they are publishing a new game wild pixel something or other that was also a closed down game now brought here and so I'm not full of trust here... though admittedly I think this didn't fail in Taiwan but simply didn't make it out of alpha/beta, not sure if that's better though. Loads of reviews mention clunky combat (input lag and stuff) though they say they are working on that with some cloud based something ... also whilst they say it's not P2W, from looking at what each edition contains it does seem to be mega inconvenient (get infinite free resets of your skill if you've got the deluxe edition - not with the regular one, would make trying things out pretty painful I imagine) ... so considering the small playerbase I'm kinda thinking of waiting for the inevitable f2p move (I think trinium wars did that just before its death).
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    looks terrible.
  • Hugor49Hugor49 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I normally don't post here but I'd like to support the game a little bit. I bought it with the release a couple of weeks ago and it really is a lot of fun. Characters are very customizable and while quests and public events are usually "go to marked area and kill stuff" I have to say that killing large groups of mobs with my knight is super satisfying (the normal auto attacks lack weight tho). Plenty of dungeons to go through, plus a super good salvaging system.

I'm not an ARPG fan but thanks to the MMO features of this one I'm enjoying it.
    Gdemami
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    No thanks

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I agree that they should rework and re-release Dragon’s Prophet.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    @Somehuman: they are, via Aeria/Gamigo
    MrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I've put about 20 hours into it. It's not amazing, but I'm having fun with it. /shrug.

7/10
    [Deleted User]MyrdynnManWithNoTan

Joined - July 2004

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    The game has potential but its skills animations are so boring. Also character builds seem to have like zero synergy. Actual gameplay combat is the biggest thing holding this game back, which is quite unfortunate.
  • MageOfEmpiresMageOfEmpires Member CommonPosts: 3
    I'm quite enjoying the game. For just the base version, it's only $15, and there's a LOT of hours of gameplay for me to do. Of course, the style and level of polish won't be for everyone. I think the game has a lot of potential with further refinement and support and it's got a great base to start that from.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited October 2017
    I bought the game recently when it was on sale. I liked it for a while, but didn't have enough fun for me. Also, no one was ever online to play with... it was a ghost town. I returned it and got my money back. Then I bought Divinity Original Sin 2.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I've wanted to try it but i didn't want to drop the $ too risky and i never win a contest when it comes up lol
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Yes it is their lovechild. This is why scientists believe cousins shouldn't rough it up in the hay.  
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    It's a satisfactory dungeon crawler.  Some of the other things they are trying don't work so well, like the planting and the housing, but with a good build the whacking and smacking is acceptable.  Not a great game, but certainly worth the $15. 
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This game is proof of the sign of the times,cheaper less aggressive game builds.I played Runes of Magic and actually enjoyed it,yes a sort of Wow clone but did more than Wow and used the sub class system.
    Dragon's Prophet i did not like but i could see they went for an idea and the game was still an aggressive build.

Runewalker does at least try to put several ideas in their games,i just don't like the cheaper platform/Diabloesque type game that is Embers.If it was a better open world concept with free look i would likely play it.

However,i would say it is much better than Diablo given the same platform as Diablo really doesn't do anything besides waste your time until you get that perfect build then it is another brainless waste of time,at least Embers is building a rpg.

So although Rune copies Blizzard a lot,they are 2/2 in my books as i would rather play Runes than Wow and this than Diablo.

Fellintentthighhighs

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wizardry said:
    This game is proof of the sign of the times,cheaper less aggressive game builds.I played Runes of Magic and actually enjoyed it,yes a sort of Wow clone but did more than Wow and used the sub class system.
    Dragon's Prophet i did not like but i could see they went for an idea and the game was still an aggressive build.

Runewalker does at least try to put several ideas in their games,i just don't like the cheaper platform/Diabloesque type game that is Embers.If it was a better open world concept with free look i would likely play it.

However,i would say it is much better than Diablo given the same platform as Diablo really doesn't do anything besides waste your time until you get that perfect build then it is another brainless waste of time,at least Embers is building a rpg.

So although Rune copies Blizzard a lot,they are 2/2 in my books as i would rather play Runes than Wow and this than Diablo.

You like games??!! Omg...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]thighhighs
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer