Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Talk me into or out of it!

2»

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Operative word being "MAYBE" ....

Have fun
    hfztt said:
    So really nothing like SWG as you claimed a few posts ago. Make up you mind.  B)
    You may want to re-read what i posted:

"Personally i can recommend Star Citizen, especially if you liked space MMOs like Star Wars Galaxies. "

I did NOT call Star Citizen an MMO in that post. I recommended it to fans of the MMO SWG.

Have fun

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    edited October 2017
    As it sits today, there is not much of a game.  The FPS is barebones and very few people are currently playing it.  I jumped in last night and waited 20 minutes and not a single person was there.  The space flying is in but there is not much to do.  I think there are only 16 missions to do at this time.

3.0 is coming soon and brings in some more gameplay but how much remains to be seen.  flying around an empty planet looking for wrecks might be fun for a day but how long will that keep you entertained?

The only reason to jump in now is the HOPE that the game can get in all the promised content before they go under.  According to MaxBacon, they are currently spending more than they are taking in each year and he is a huge fan of the game so when he says something like that, it carries more weight than when Derek Smart says it.

Source of Max discussing yearly operating costs: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7228132/#Comment_7228132
    Scroll down 6 posts to see Max admits they are spending 40 to 50 million per year.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    I agree SC is as much fun to play as SWG right now.
    ExcessionKefo
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    I personally think this game is just going to be a instances multiplayer game and not the MMO it's trying to sell itself as
    >>>

You may have overlooked it, but since the Kickstarter Star Citizen has called itself a multiplayer game using instances, NOT a MMO. It is even in the FAQ that it is NOT a MMO.

Have fun

And yet the fans have been arguing it's an MMO for the last what? 2 years now?
    ScotchUp
    Talonsin said:

Source of Max discussing yearly operating costs: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7228132/#Comment_7228132
    Scroll down 6 posts to see Max admits they are spending 40 to 50 million per year.

Not that Max would know the official numbers.

He can estimate, as we all can do. As have many people done before him, with similar results.

Old rule of thumb in gaming industry ... 10 k$ per person per month for EVERYTHING (that is much more than wages), 120 k$ per year, times 400ish people.  Result: 48 M$.

Have fun
    Arglebargle
    I agree SC is as much fun to play as SWG right now.

SWG on emulator is good. Especially with friends. I suggest you try it.

Have fun
    Kefo said:
    And yet the fans have been arguing it's an MMO for the last what? 2 years now?
    Fans are arguing about a lot of things. Even if its written in the FAQ.

Have fun
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Erillion said:
    hfztt said:
    So really nothing like SWG as you claimed a few posts ago. Make up you mind.  B)
    You may want to re-read what i posted:

"Personally i can recommend Star Citizen, especially if you liked space MMOs like Star Wars Galaxies. "

Yeah, thought you would make that argument. But seriously? "I can recomend coffee, especially If you like bananas."

Unless you factor in that SWG first and foremost was an MMO, you recomendation does not make much sense.

Expected re: "Nope! Both are space games! Totally the link!"

Whatever...
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    hfztt said:

Expected re: "Nope! Both are space games! Totally the link!"

Was not really a space game, until Jump to Lightspeed :smiley:

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Excession said:
    Was not really a space game, until Jump to Lightspeed :smiley:
    *** sigh ***

Where are thou, Aratech Shipyard ?   (Naritus server, Lok, city of LoknLoad)

Best ship stats (including "Slave I") on the server, crafted with "best" resources gathered over many years.

Sold to customers during (in)famous parties on my luxury liner, with (player) musicians and (player) dancers entertaining my guests with live performances.

*** sigh ***

Have fun
    Excession
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

Not that Max would know the official numbers.

He can estimate, as we all can do. As have many people done before him, with similar results.

Old rule of thumb in gaming industry ... 10 k$ per person per month for EVERYTHING (that is much more than wages), 120 k$ per year, times 400ish people.  Result: 48 M$.

Have fun
    So by your estimations they are spending more than they are taking in? 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    So by your estimations they are spending more than they are taking in? 
    If the estimation based on that "rule of thumb" is correct, the answer is "yes".

However, they had much less employees than the current 400ish, so in my estimation they did spend much less than 48 million in previous years.

Have fun

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    ill wait till this supposed game releases and then see if its worth buying and remember it's going to have a subscription also hidden as "insurance" for your spaceship, lol.
    Raquis said:
    ill wait till this supposed game releases and then see if its worth buying and remember it's going to have a subscription also hidden as "insurance" for your spaceship, lol.
    First line - smart position

Second line -

>>> and remember it's going to have a subscription also hidden as "insurance" for your spaceship, lol. >>>

???     What do you mean ?

To our current knowledge after launch there is no subscription that in any way is linked to "insurance".

Currently - during development - there is a voluntary subscription, but only for producing more community content like the "Jump Point" magazine or the video blogs. This is not a monthly required subscription like in other multiplayer games. It is not required to play the game. And is not related to insurance in any way.

Have fun

• thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    What about just wait till its out?? no point in backing something if your not really into it. In my opinion, all the backing might be what takes the game so long to realease. Might be they would focus on releasing the core game instead of focus on toilets and single player spinoffs.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Back it if you think you will like it, don't back it if you don't. Either way you can see the endless threads on whether or not people think it's worth it or not on here. Read through a couple of those and make a decision based on that. Personally I am not dumping any money into it until I can see a finalized product because of the amount of promises they have made. 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    OP,

It's in alpha. There are very limited things you can do right now.

However, for me:

1. I use this time to fly ships proficiently. I hope this puts me way ahead of players that start after release. Unlike EVE, you don't bounce off objects. You crash and blow up.

2. Make mistakes now, such as buying weapons and upgrades for my ship. Find out what works and what doesn't. I don't know how easy in-game currency is going to be or how expensive things will be.

3. There is already many forms of pvp. There is an arena for ship pvp, there's the ground fps, and then there is pvp in the PU (main game).

3. (a) Due to lack of content, I make my own and I have been having a lot of fun ganking. For example, I sneak aboard other player ships, hide until the take off, and when they leave the safe zone, I pull out my shotgun and shoot the pilot in the face. If it's a multi-crew, I kill all of them.

3. (b) I steal other players ships. Either at the stations or hiding outside in mission objectives. 

So, pvp or pve, you should be interested in #1 and #2.
    Erillion
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I'm dying for a good space MMO.  A true MMO.  I tried EVE Online, but dammit, I'm just too carebear for all those bloodthirsty pirates!  So I've been considering backing Star Citizen at the lowest level, which I believe is $45, and waiting.   I'm neutral at this point.  I don't care enough to join the raving fanatics, and I don't know enough to be in the camp that thinks the game will never release, or be a shell when it does.  What do you guys think?  Worth backing now on the cheap, or wait and see?
    If you buy in wait until they are selling a ship with Lifetime Insurance in a pricerange you feel good about. That way if you end up being like "I hate this game" you can sell it at a small profit. It used to be a huge profit but people have caught on by now and there are a lot of people who buy these ships for the sake of selling them at a profit later.
  • mraneremranere Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Don't bother right now. By the time they 'finish' the game, everyone will have become tired of this bullshit and won't be playing it anymore. They spend a lot of time trying to get you to buy ships. It's the "Duke Nukem Forever" of space sims.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Why pledge ?

They had enough pledges to make one of most expensive games in history of gaming.

Just buy it when its out

( I withdraw my pledge long time ago. But I will surely buy it when it comes out, and if its any good )
    Cotic