Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Talk me into or out of it!

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I'm dying for a good space MMO.  A true MMO.  I tried EVE Online, but dammit, I'm just too carebear for all those bloodthirsty pirates!  So I've been considering backing Star Citizen at the lowest level, which I believe is $45, and waiting.   I'm neutral at this point.  I don't care enough to join the raving fanatics, and I don't know enough to be in the camp that thinks the game will never release, or be a shell when it does.  What do you guys think?  Worth backing now on the cheap, or wait and see?
Gdemamidrachennwolf

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    When it comes to Star Citizen the most sensible game to play is the waiting one.

When 3.0 gets released they might have a free-fly week and that would be the best time to try it before spending your money.

PvP is rife in Star Citizen and will be for quite some time, you can get blown up in your ship, shot while doing missions, shot while just walking about somewhere, hell even the doors will kill you for looking at them funny...

Azaron_Nightblade
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    I recommend to wait for the next Free-Fly-Weekend and try it out for free. If you like it, you can get that basic package you mentioned.

At the end of this month there is the (Star) "Citizen Convention 2017" - there are often Free-Fly-Events during such conventions. When the Alpha 3.0 build is released to the backers there is also a good chance that it is shown to the public in a free fly event sometime before X-Mas.

Personally i can recommend Star Citizen, especially if you liked space MMOs like Star Wars Galaxies.

Have fun
    GdemamiMellowTigger
    When it comes to Star Citizen the most sensible game to play is the waiting one.

When 3.0 gets released they might have a free-fly week and that would be the best time to try it before spending your money.

PvP is rife in Star Citizen and will be for quite some time, you can get blown up in your ship, shot while doing missions, shot while just walking about somewhere, hell even the doors will kill you for looking at them funny...

Like in EVE there will be areas that are very secure. And you can choose some settings ("PvP-PvE-slider") that reduce the chance to be attacked by another player.

But also like in EVE you are never 100 % secure and out of harms way
    (suicide ship attacks may be a danger like they are in "secure" Imperial space in EVE)

OP. if you like space MMOs and absolutely want to avoid PvP, you may want to consider Elite:Dangerous and its solo "offline mode". Which is basically a solo space game with the OPTION for switching on the MMO part (... and its more an MO than an MMO).

Have fun
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:

Like in EVE there will be areas that are very secure. And you can choose some settings ("PvP-PvE-slider") that reduce the chance to be attacked by another player.

(suicide ship attacks may be a danger like they are in "secure" Imperial space in EVE)

OP. if you like space MMOs and absolutely want to avoid PvP, you may want to consider Elite:Dangerous and its solo "offline mode". Which is basically a solo space game with the OPTION for switching on the MMO part (... and its more an MO than an MMO).

Have fun

Right, it will have secure areas but at the moment it's not really like that. It's a free-for-all at this time.

I was under the impression that the PvE-PvP slider was dropped, there was an interview with CR where he seemed to imply that was the case (iirc) and talked instead about pockets of space where PvP was allowed, it would be good to get an update on this.

With regards to Elite, he could always join a private group, one which is focused on PvE for example and then have the best of both worlds. The most well known group being "Mobius", no need to isolate himself entirely in solo.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I might try it at the next fly-for-free event, any guess on whether that will include the atmosphere transitions?

That would be the biggest reason for my trying it...  Experiencing a seamless transition from station to planetary landing and then hopping out to explore on foot.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Honestly, I would just look yourself imho, youtube, forums, etc. Coming here to is the worst thing you could do and i mean that in a "escape while you can" way.  I feel there's enough info out there now for someone to make up their mind on it :)
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Right, it will have secure areas but at the moment it's not really like that. It's a free-for-all at this time.

I was under the impression that the PvE-PvP slider was dropped, there was an interview with CR where he seemed to imply that was the case (iirc) and talked instead about pockets of space where PvP was allowed, it would be good to get an update on this.

With regards to Elite, he could always join a private group, one which is focused on PvE for example and then have the best of both worlds. The most well known group being "Mobius", no need to isolate himself entirely in solo.

Simbad has treated me very well since coming back to elite.  They own a large area in E:D and have very active members who utilize Discord regularly.

It's gotten me back into the game in a big way playing with those folks.  No requirements to being a member other than reading their rules on Discord and adding one of our CMDR's in-game that can give you membership.  No obligation, either; it's built completely around am "at your convenience and pleasure" ideal.

With that said, Mobius is also a great group in the game.

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Nothing to talk you out of. This game isnt even out. There is almost no content. Dotn bother 
    Moxom914
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Wedlen said:
    Nothing to talk you out of. This game isnt even out. There is almost no content. Dotn bother 

I know.  But I'm wondering (probably along with everyone else, especially the backers) when there will actually be a game to test.  If it's less than a year off, I can deal with it.  If it's more than that, it'll just fall off my radar like Camelot Unchained did.  Oh God, why am I considering another crowdfunded MMO?  I've only bought into a handful of them, but so far, it's been nothing but disappointment.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    There is really not enough content to recommend SC to anyone.
    Not even that roleplay stuff people say they do with friends.
    It gets old very very fast.

Development is slow but they might actually get to a point where the game will be worth playing or even awesome.
    You really should wait and see.

EvE would be everything you need and it doesn't matter that you're a carebear... the majority of EvE players are carebears. The game provides you with enough safety to do what you want to do without having to worry about other players most of the time. It's just a learning experience and you need to learn how things work.

Kefo

..Cake..

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Wedlen said:

I know.  But I'm wondering (probably along with everyone else, especially the backers) when there will actually be a game to test.  If it's less than a year off, I can deal with it.  If it's more than that, it'll just fall off my radar like Camelot Unchained did.  Oh God, why am I considering another crowdfunded MMO?  I've only bought into a handful of them, but so far, it's been nothing but disappointment.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for anything groundbreaking coming out in the next year in regards to SC. Try the next free fly as others have suggested and then forget about the game for the foreseeable future.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I can't recommend backing the game now.

I backed the game in 2013. Since then, the game has perpetually been 1 year away from release. The whole thing was supposed to release in 2014 back then. People will say this is due to increased scope, but did you know the original pitch had 100 unique, detailed star systems in it? Now, we are crossing our fingers for at least one complete system in 3.0, which probably won't be the case (the landing areas, such as city districts, simply aren't ready).

Those who love the project always say "But they are making the best game ever, I'm happy to wait, if it means getting a better game." While I admire their patience, this could go on endlessly in theory. I've been waiting for 4 years, with no finished product in sight. Did you know 2014 was the release date for the whole 100 system online universe, a single-player campaign with 16 chapters and a set of modding tools, to fully support player driven content? The latter two being completely in the dark as of last year.

This 3.0 patch was announced in fall 2016. People were expecting the full game once more, so they needed to announce something substantial at that conference. It was announced for winter 2016. Today, it was released to a testing group of 1000 people, with a public release probably in a few months. As far as we can tell, the 3.0 release has some parts missing from the promised feature list shown a year ago. Those will likely come in 3.1 and 3.2, but the release dates of those? No one can make a guess. I'd not be surprised if those features came next winter, in 2018.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Some of the ships look and feel nice. The actual flight is fun and responsive in the right way. I think a full game is coming at some point, but my personal guess is that it's at least 4 more years away. I also think it will be much reduced in scope. If they finish 10 unique detailed landing zones (they planned water stormy cities, lush green cities, desert cities) by 2022, it will be a miracle.

My interest and patience has run out. I have gone through 4 release announcements by this point - I don't have the drive of some of these fans anymore. Now I'm simply like "meh, ok".
    Octagon7711ScotchUp
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    even if SC ever gets released it isnt going to be an MMO.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Look at it like you will be helping out the Swiss banking system. That's what I do.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If your curious just get the starter pack and explore.  If it doesn't workout you could just leave it alone until the next big update. 

Or just watch a lot of the streamers videos playing the game and you can see for yourself how the games going.  
    Erillion

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Wedlen said:

I know.  But I'm wondering (probably along with everyone else, especially the backers) when there will actually be a game to test.
    There is a kind of a game to test right now, but if you want to have a lot of content then more than a year.

Look for other games to play and forget Star Citizen for a year or two.
    Erillion

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Vrika said:
    Wedlen said:

I know.  But I'm wondering (probably along with everyone else, especially the backers) when there will actually be a game to test.
    There is a kind of a game to test right now, but if you want to have a lot of content then more than a year.

Look for other games to play and forget Star Citizen for a year or two.
    I'm guessing spring of 2020 at earliest. They could use some more concept sales.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    I'm dying for a good space MMO.  A true MMO.
    SC does not qualify.

While it is personal opinion that SC is not good, fact is it is far from being a true MMO.

3.0 has a player limit of 12 (AFAIK) per instance, and apparently it gets very, very laggy around 8 players or so.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Excession said:
    I'm dying for a good space MMO.  A true MMO.
    SC does not qualify.

While it is personal opinion that SC is not good, fact is it is far from being a true MMO.

3.0 has a player limit of 12 (AFAIK) per instance, and apparently it gets very, very laggy around 8 players or so.
    Wasn't the netcode that was supposed to help fix all this that was promised for 3.0 pushed out to 3.1?  Will we see the same excuse whenever 3.1 comes around that they are pushing it to 3.x? 

I personally think this game is just going to be a instances multiplayer game and not the MMO it's trying to sell itself as
    The fanatics on reddit believe that CIG will be able to get 1000+ per server despite not being able to get past 15-18 for the last 2 or 3 years...

Seriously, have a read of some of these comments https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/750zsd/thousand_player_servers_realistic_or_not/

>>>
    I personally think this game is just going to be a instances multiplayer game and not the MMO it's trying to sell itself as
    >>>

You may have overlooked it, but since the Kickstarter Star Citizen has called itself a multiplayer game using instances, NOT a MMO. It is even in the FAQ that it is NOT a MMO.

Have fun

The fanatics on reddit believe that CIG will be able to get 1000+ per server despite not being able to get past 15-18 for the last 2 or 3 years...

Seriously, have a read of some of these comments https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/750zsd/thousand_player_servers_realistic_or_not/

This discussion is based on current network R&D going on at CIG. It might work, it might not work. Time will tell. CIG has not claimed that there will be 1000+ players per server/instance - they said that work is being done to improve the network capability.

Have fun
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

You may have overlooked it, but since the Kickstarter Star Citizen has called itself a multiplayer game using instances, NOT a MMO. It is even in the FAQ that it is NOT a MMO.

Have fun

So really nothing like SWG as you claimed a few posts ago. Make up you mind.  B)
    Erillion said:

This discussion is based on current network R&D going on at CIG. It might work, it might not work. Time will tell. CIG has not claimed that there will be 1000+ players per server/instance - they said that work is being done to improve the network capability.

Have fun

Sorry buddy but they have indeed said that. Hell, Erin even talked about hundreds of thousands in an instance earlier this year.

So with the next big release a lot of the underlying game is there and then we can look at transferring people between servers so we can have hundreds of thousands of people maybe in one instance, but that doesn’t come online until later.

http://wccftech.com/star-citizen-exclusive-interview-erin-roberts/

Kefo