Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space MMO options?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys, what are the space MMO options currently on the market?  EVE and Elite: Dangerous (not really an MMO?), is that it?  Thanks!  Oh and SWTOR I guess, don't enjoy that at all.

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OH, and STO.  I tried that, and the ship combat was abysmal.
    Gdemami
    If you want boring combat with a real money economy, try Entropia Universe.  o:)

Damn, that sounds good!
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Beezerbeez
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2017
    STO is a really good game and you can play F2P right to max lvl ..

You have to play STO to lvl 30 tho , build up crew and ship load out , get used to interface and it becomes very fun

[Deleted User]
    Scorchien said:

You have to play STO to lvl 30 tho , build up crew and ship load out , get used to interface and it becomes very fun

OK.  Maybe I quit too early.  I was really disappointed in the ship combat.  Just jamming the space bar and then firing photon torpedoes.  Does it get better?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:

OK.  Maybe I quit too early.  I was really disappointed in the ship combat.  Just jamming the space bar and then firing photon torpedoes.  Does it get better?
    yes , after about lvl 30 ish ..

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    STO story missions were pretty good featuring space and ground missions.  There's a whole detailed thing about ship and weapons configurations.  Of course you can't go straight up or down in space so you have to spiral down to a target ship but it is what it is.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I want to agree with Scorchien about STO since I've played off & on for years, but for a little over a year STO has gotten a bit stale.  Less & less content offered, just like with this recent Season 14 release, & more time-sink & grind avenues in content's stead.  Cryptic doesn't seem to have an interest in fixing "bugs" unless they are huge & immediate which happens a lot while they others that affect game-play & even accounts get ignored.  STO can still be a good & generous MMO just keep your expectations lower whereas STO used to have a higher standard: over a dozen Star Trek actors' voice-work, some really good story line missions, some good ship designs, & you can enjoy most of the game completely free, but the whole "gambling" micro-transactions mechanics has become a focus in STO by PWE & Cryptic.  One thing I still suggest is if you are just beginning play the tutorial for all three factions to experience & get a bit of exposure of how STO feels.  If you decide you want to play STO & level-up subscribing for just a month is a great value.  As you level when subscribed you gain valuable perks that you wouldn't if not subscribed.  STO has a good community too, but it is a real shame seeing how PWE & Cryptic has been delivering STO liek an after-thought the last couple of years.
    Octagon7711
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Once of the reasons for the huge funding of Star Citizen is the lack of a good space themed MMO.  While I have some issues with how Star Citizen is managed, I sure hope it comes out with at least half the promised features.  It could be the next big thing in MMO's if it ever actually launches

If you hated the space combat of STO, hitting level 30 wont help.  Good stories but the ship combat never really changes.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    Once of the reasons for the huge funding of Star Citizen is the lack of a good space themed MMO.  While I have some issues with how Star Citizen is managed, I sure hope it comes out with at least half the promised features.  It could be the next big thing in MMO's if it ever actually launches

If you hated the space combat of STO, hitting level 30 wont help.  Good stories but the ship combat never really changes.

I know, Star Citizen...God help me, I've been thinking of pledging at the lowest tier.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited October 2017
    I havent played in awhile but it was decent back a year or more ago was Ascent. Indie guy did it all alone. When I stopped he was getting help and pretty sure its improved quite a bit. Werent a ton of people playing but the ones that were were dedicated to it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/345010/Ascent__The_Space_Game/

hmm may have spoke too soon looks like the guy may have stopped actively developing it. Might want to do some research before buying.....

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well...EVE and Elite Dangerous. Literally that is it for the good ones.

Got to level 31 in STO and quit because space combat still sucked compared to EVE. And the last 18 levels I did was terrible. Worst MMO experience I ever had...but I was told it gets better after 30 on another forum (like some say here) so I pushed through it...and...it was still terrible.

SWTOR isn't really a space game, its more a sci-fi MMO. And...I thought I could get a better story in a singleplayer game lol. Like...there was no point playing it...when I can get a better experience in a singleplayer game lol. Witcher 3 kills SWTOR as far as story goes, though its more fantasy.

If ignoring the story in SWTOR, it felt kinda...well...WoW I thought was pretty linear and even WoW has far more open zones than SWTOR did and WoW zones are pretty huge. So if WoW, a themepark MMO, has far better zones in SWTOR...that is pretty pathetic in regards to SWTOR lol. On top of that, WoW did their storylines WAY better for all the zones and overall game than SWTOR. Granted, some zones stories are meh...overall much better done than SWTOR. And that is ignoring the expansion zones, which are even better.

So in other words...WoW is just better than what SWTOR tries to do for not just an MMO, but for storylines too. And if I want a star wars game...well...battlefront 2 if better than even battlefront 1 will be 1000x more fun than anything SWTOR can ever do in a star wars game.

So that leaves...well I guess Elite. And I guess people can argue it isn't an MMO...and I can see that...you can literally play singleplayer in Elite and ignore the online stuff. And online I never see anyone ever cause the universe is so huge (even though the other day nearly 7k people were on according to Steam charts).

But you might not like Elite, cause the controls are a huge pain in the ass. And people say they use keyboard/mouse...but hell no to that rofl. Its already hard enough with an xbox one controller :P could never imagine using a keyboard/mouse lol.

And well EVE...but I don't find EVE very good anymore. Too outdated. I do LOVE EVE, and it is in my top 10 favorite MMOs...but after playing Elite...I want a space simulator with amazing ship movement and ultra realism. And eve is literally a point and click game to simplify it. Almost don't even need a keyboard lol. Now that I played games like No Man's Sky (NOT an MMO obviously) and ELITE, I want full control of my ship and ultra realism in space. EVE is kinda too old and archaic to be an ultra realistic space simulator, but it never tried to be that (or maybe it did, but it is kinda old)...but that is what I personally look for these days.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Shit, all I have for ED is KB and mouse.  I guess that's out.  Maybe I'll just try No Man's Sky again for a relaxing, albeit lonely, experience.  I tried it before but returned it due to some crashing problems.  I hear it's gotten a lot better.

Gdemami
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    There are somehow playable early-access titles if you are into that kinda thing. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Vendetta Online.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited October 2017
    Man, the prospects are bleak.  I wish No Man's Sky had a true multiplayer element.  Should I even consider getting behind Star Citizen?  It's probably years away from release?  I know it's both loved and hated.
    Post edited by MightyUnclean on
    Man, the prospects are bleak.  I wish No Man's Sky had a true multiplayer element.  Should I even consider getting behind Star Citizen?  It's probably years away from release?  I know it's both loved and hated.
    You can play on my account if you want. Last time I logged in I had much more hair.

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2017
    There are occasional free trials, if you're interested in Star Citizen play during one of those. They're advertised as Free Fly events and mmorpg.com often makes a news article when one comes.

But Star Citizen is still very far from release. For your gaming needs now, and for next year, you should look for something else.

Shit, all I have for ED is KB and mouse.  I guess that's out.  Maybe I'll just try No Man's Sky again for a relaxing, albeit lonely, experience.  I tried it before but returned it due to some crashing problems.  I hear it's gotten a lot better.
    Have you considered buying Elite Dangerous and a controller? A cheap gaming controller is less than $20 on Amazon, and even the better ones only cost about $50. It's not a large investment.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2017
    Talonsin said:

I know, Star Citizen...God help me, I've been thinking of pledging at the lowest tier.
    You could wait for a free fly weekend which should be coming up around convention or anniversary time. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2017
    Shit, all I have for ED is KB and mouse.  I guess that's out.  
    ...only problem with K/M control is switching between flight assist on/off.

Besides that, the controls are absolutely fine and I even think it is preferred for arena combat.

STO combat is amazing too, just set difficulty to elite.
    Rhoklaw said:
    You can play on my account if you want. Last time I logged in I had much more hair.
    Did you lose hair because of the time frame or the frustration?
    Yeah I'm gonna sue Roberts ;)
    [Deleted User]

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    edited October 2017
    It's not bleak at all. Try Vendetta Online before pledging to Star Citizen. What have you got to lose?

The above shows what some of the best times in VO can look like. It is a real MMORPG though; don't expect to jump in and have an experience like that within your first couple hours. There is some progression to it, although a lot depends on how you the pilot play.

It is completely cross-platform: everything from Rift to iPhone and all that's in between.  You can pick up right wherever you left off regardless of what platform you play on.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    If you even consider NMS, then maybe Empyrion: Galactic Survival is something to check. It is in Early Access though. But it playable and has multiplayer. You can also run your own dedicated server for friends etc.

As for Star Citizen. Pledging now won't help you find a Space MMO. No telling when that game launches.
  • ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited October 2017
    Avorion

check this out !
    OK, thanks guys!  Yeah, if Star Citizen truly is 3+ years away, no use getting hyped for it now.  I'm already waiting on Camelot Unchained.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    3+ years away for SC? maybe.

It is still pre alpha, even though CR claims 3.0 is akin to EA.

So, they have to actually hit Alpha, finish adding/removing features, hit Beta, add polish, squash bugs, etc, then hit something that actually resembles a release worthy client.

Problem is, since CR made his statement about a Minimal Viable Product, combined with his claim that 3.0 is akin to EA, none of the usual Alpha - Beta  - release will apply to SC.

CR could decide that 3.0 is enough, once Evocati have had it a while, and it get's into general backers hands.

In that case, SC release could be just a few months away. 

As for the OP and Avorion, is it really an MMO or just co op? how many players per server?

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.