Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The beginning of the end, The story

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
This is the truth, 
For some odd reason this angers a few select people for absolutely no good reason.  It's a fact with proof to back it up.  Yet, they believe false data set by Triple A gamming companies with a marketing agenda in order to force a third generation of mmorpg game play..... Some would ask why ?..... The answer is very simple..... To make mmorpgs shorter and quickly profit.

Time frame,
Three events happened in succession:

World of Warcraft was released in 2004.  This Triple A mmorpg was an instant hit.  However this game steam rolled in popularity causing larger companies to aggressively study it's success.  Managers, CEO's and Marketing agents of other companies viewed this as an opportunity, an opportunity to profit.  The problem was cost and time, THIS WAS THE ENEMY.  I'm sure arguments for a true quality mmoprg verses lower cost were to be had.  Quality and the second generation of it's present time lost the argument.  Therefore the third generation mmorpg was born.  The simple game online. 

The second event was unrelated to the first. 
Vanguard Saga of Heroes was released early 2007.  This game was made by Sigil Games Online.  This company was true to the passion of gaming.  Contrary to this they did have Managers, and CEO's adding to the pressures of release.  It's no secret other mistakes were made in design causing a major disaster at an EXTREMELY VERERABLE TIME IN HISTORY.  This too like above was watched by large companies and confirmed the need for cost reduction...... This was a major blow to second generation mmorpg's as millions were disappointed. I can't stress this enough...... Millions of players ! 

Third event.
Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning released end of 2008.  This was the first game of the third generation.  Consumer's were unaware of a new age of mmorpg's were about to unfold.  This was the official turnaround where BIG BUSINESS SUPERSEDED PASSION !!!...... Marketing at it's best.  Larger money was spent on marketing.  Quality and passion took a back seat.... Remember Paul Barnett's podcast ?..... but more importantly remember how poorly the game was ?..... I could go deep into RvR, small zones, and all experience was given to instanced battle grounds until they fixed the game.  But I'll not.... The game was made cheap, leading to crap third generation mmorpg's.  

This is where we stand, third generation of cheap games online.  

Sure, profit first, but still where does this leave us !..... Searching.... Searching. 

I don't think we need another lecture on how business works.  We all know !      
GdemamialivenScotYashaXKyleranXarkoGriffbaneborghive49

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    You are cherry-picking events to make an argument.

A lot has happened in the past 10 years. Vanguard and Warhammer aren't the most significant games to influence MMO development, by a long shot.

The success of mobile platforms, ESO with a well-received console port, cancellation of EQ Next, the rise of crowdfunding (Star Citizen), Minecraft, the success of indie games (including PUBG), "failure" of Shroud of the Avatar, poor optimisation of Mass Effect Andromeda, the unexpected sales of GTA:V microtransactions.

I think all of those events are much more important and influential compared to the whole history of Vanguard. I generally agree with you that parts of the gaming sector have become more business oriented - especially when it comes to franchises. Ubisoft clearly releases very calculated titles based on market research, rather than creativity.

At the same time, there is a rise of indie titles. This spills over to the MMO genre. It's fairly easy to create a persistent multiplayer environment in the various engines these days. I think we will see many "creative" and upcoming MMOs coming from the indie sector.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    laxie said:
    You are cherry-picking events to make an argument.

A lot has happened in the past 10 years. Vanguard and Warhammer aren't the most significant games to influence MMO development, by a long shot.

The success of mobile platforms, ESO with a well-received console port, cancellation of EQ Next, the rise of crowdfunding (Star Citizen), Minecraft, the success of indie games (including PUBG), "failure" of Shroud of the Avatar, poor optimisation of Mass Effect Andromeda, the unexpected sales of GTA:V microtransactions.

I think all of those events are much more important and influential compared to the whole history of Vanguard. I generally agree with you that parts of the gaming sector have become more business oriented - especially when it comes to franchises. Ubisoft clearly releases very calculated titles based on market research, rather than creativity.

At the same time, there is a rise of indie titles. This spills over to the MMO genre. It's fairly easy to create a persistent multiplayer environment in the various engines these days. I think we will see many "creative" and upcoming MMOs coming from the indie sector.

Last line is simply more proof....... Rise of indie titles !

Triple A will have no part of the cost.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    LOL. I'm putting it here for once instead of on your profile. ;)
    Complete fantasy as usual. As for "Rise of the Indies"... the only Indie MMOs that have released so far have been complete failures. It'll be interesting to see whether the big titles in development can break that streak.
    laxie[Deleted User]Griffbane

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

Last line is simply more proof....... Rise of indie titles !

Triple A will have no part of the cost.
    I think that's true.

It would be great to see some numbers on demographics in MMOs today. Especially to understand what proportion of people are interested in "traditional" complex systems. From my understanding, this number has to be very low.

Most players today expect "arcade-like" systems, where everything is obvious. When people have to learn and explore the systems on their own, it's often seen as poor design.

As a result, an AAA studio can't justify an AAA budget towards a "traditional" MMO. Not enough people would play.
    [Deleted User]
    LOL. I'm putting it here for once instead of on your profile. ;)
    Complete fantasy as usual. As for "Rise of the Indies"... the only Indie MMOs that have released so far have been complete failures. It'll be interesting to see whether the big titles in development can break that streak.

Failing indies or not it's still proof..... Hay their trying, it's expensive. 

More proof Triple A wouldn't touch an mmo.  Infact they never did, only cheap third generation (cheap games online)
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    There was nothing "quick profit" about WaR, they released it early because they had already spent 100mil and didn't want to spend more. I really doubt WaR made back that 100mil so no quick profit or not really any profit at all.

WoW cost 50mil to make, WaR 100mil and I dunno how much Vanguard was but the reason we have an abundance of junk MMO games now I feel cannot be attributed to one specific reason(or 3). If anything is to blame for companies unwilling to invest big money imo it would be the FTP model. All the games you mentioned started off as BTP + Sub games. The FTP model inserted too much wallet fishing into games and caused developer's to focus designing games around the cash shop and that is when many of the problems began.
    Gdemami
    DMKano said:
    WoW was significant in terms of impcat on MMO industry.

However Vanguard and WAR - just a couple of games that didnt make it, these were not "events" that shook the gaming industry. 

When you look at history of MMOs, VSoH and WAR are sidenotes.

I totally disagree. 

Vanguard and Warhammer had a extremely large impact.  They were both viewed as the FUTURE.  This was a "Big time in history".  Very very big.

When everyone thought innocence.  Instead we got betrayal for profit !!!!! 
    GdemamiXarko
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:

However Vanguard and WAR - just a couple of games that didnt make it, these were not "events" that shook the gaming industry. 

I totally disagree. 

Vanguard and Warhammer had a extremely large impact.  They were both viewed as the FUTURE.  This was a "Big time in history".  Very very big.

What metric are you using to measure this "extremely large impact" that you're claiming?
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:

I totally disagree. 

What metric are you using to measure this "extremely large impact" that you're claiming?
    The stunning, scientific field that is known as... his opinion.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:

I totally disagree. 

The stunning, scientific field that is known as... his opinion.

Damm,

The people that are tricked by this metric bullshit is amazing :)
    I'll be getting Married in two and a half hours......Should I run ?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Personally, I think DDOs decision to go F2P influenced the market way more then Vanguard and WAR, and not in a good way.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]borghive49
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Isn't the question ... "should she run ...?"

I kid ... congratulations. Unless of course you are having doubts in that case stop!

As a girlfriend of mine once said "divorce is expensive, living in sin is not".
    laxieGdemamiBruceYeeXarko
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Isn't the question ... "should she run ...?"

I kid ... congratulations. Unless of course you are having doubts in that case stop!

As a girlfriend of mine once said "divorce is expensive, living in sin is not".
    If you believe in that kinda sin then you'd go to hell after divorce. It would suck to spend a lot of monies, ruin your life, die alone and end up in hell. 
    GdemamiXarko
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    If you believe in that kinda sin then you'd go to hell after divorce. It would suck to spend a lot of monies, ruin your life, die alone and end up in hell. 
    Expressions are made to have some wisdom in them, not to be taken litterary.
    Loke666 said:
    I was being funny, and apparently I failed :|

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Loke666 said:
    Sorry, any sentence ending with "...die alone and ending up in hell" kinda need a smiley.
    ConstantineMerus
    edited October 2017
    Loke666 said:
    Loke666 said:
    Sorry, any sentence ending with "...die alone and ending up in hell" kinda need a smiley.
    If they had you as their advisor during writing the old testament we would've been living in a much happier world today ;)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is a series of events that i see differently.
    1 Everquest,not many are interested because most everyone is barely on 56k.
    2 FPS remain the big boss,Quake and then unreal,both going into the world cyber games.
    3 FFXi first mmorpg to be on multiple platforms,eventually adding xbox as well.I do not think we can compare Everquest Adventures in the same sentence.
    4 DSL/cable are now mainstream,Wow releases and is pretty much the sole receiver of all the new internet gamer's.
    5 Survival games and a  new wave of marketing,lesser value games trying to compete with various gimmicks like b2p or f2p or KS'r,Early access and/or cash shops.The era of Diablo/moba's/tcg's all low budget games.
    6 FFXIV the first real amazing looking mmorpg but of course lacks in many areas but not so much from say for example Wow and it's clones.
    6 VR the industry/marketing tries to push this onto everyone,tons of biased endorsements,not one good game as of yet.Tons of foolish buyers ,so many they are sold out quickly,just like cell phones,peopel see something new they just have to buy it no matter what.

7 Incoming,not sure what this new era will bring,one thing i   am certain is we will not see many HQ games lot's of Dialo/Moba type games,stuff studios can whip out in mere months with little investment/risk.If i was a venture to guess,this might be the slowest era ever since gaming became mainstream 15 years ago.What i am seeing is a massive push to deceptive marketing tactics,everyone is finding ways to circumvent the laws.

I feel we won't see anything intriguing until at least 2020.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Your choice of examples is not necessarily seminal, but that does not matter. You have understood the direction of travel which has got us where we are today.

There are many more factors than you have mentioned, such as the interaction between MMOs and solo games, between western and eastern MMOs and the change from subscription to cash shop. But in end we arrive at the same place; cheap tinyMMOs. Will we see a AAA ever again? It would take an IP of stellar proportions for a gaming company to even think about it.
    delete5230Gdemami
    edited October 2017
    Scot said:
    Your choice of examples is not necessarily seminal, but that does not matter. You have understood the direction of travel which has got us where we are today.

There are many more factors than you have mentioned, such as the interaction between MMOs and solo games, between western and eastern MMOs and the change from subscription to cash shop. But in end we arrive at the same place; cheap tinyMMOs. Will we see a AAA ever again? It would take an IP of stellar proportions for a gaming company to even think about it.

I agree,
    I take my OP and add yours and that's where we stand now, in a huge downward spiral. 

The end of the end

Reading your last line got me thinking.... Could you imagine if an indie creates a major hit. The triple A's will try and cash in again !!

Post edited by delete5230 on
    Gdemami
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Is it time for another 'beginning of the end' already?  Does anybody in this forum know of Henny Penny?

I self identify as a monkey.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    They are just games, mkay?

Tbh MMORPG's are becoming a bit stale to me. Their persistent worlds are a little too persistent to me :p Nothing really changes in a MMORPG world, unless the developer wants it and then destroys something you want to keep too. And all the nerf cycles of classes, I am sick of it.

Minecraft changed my way of looking at MMO's. A world for a few friends and you, that you can change the way you want. Running mods to completely overhaul the experience so you get never ending replay value.
    So now I prefer small scale multiplayer games, preferably that let you run a dedicated server for some friends. Plenty of games like that in EA atm in Steam.

Current favourite of mine is Empyrion : Galactic Survival. Still rough, but already moddable and lets you run a dedicated server. But Early Access, so plenty of bugs and necessary server wipes when new versions are released.

These kind of games can be created by smaller dev teams and are financially less risky. These indie companies still try to come up with fresh ideas as opposed to the AAA MMO industry that keeps rehashing the same format.
    [Deleted User]
    edited October 2017
    MMORPG.Com also ought to give this guy a job. His threads are even more o̶u̶t̶r̶a̶g̶e̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶ "controversial" than @BillMurphy 's list for best story driven MMO. ;)

MMORPG.Com also ought to give this guy a job. His threads are even more o̶u̶t̶r̶a̶g̶e̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶ "controversial" than @BillMurphy 's list for best story driven MMO. ;)
    Bill is more listing the games he enjoys the story best in. This thread is an opinion why MMOs seems to be losing players (or at least long term players) but just listing 3 things for that is simplifying the whole thing a lot.

The genre has changed, but it needs to change again if it want to really start growing in the west again. I don't think either old school or modern mechanics can  reboot the genre though, it needs fresh new ideas and mechanics if we want a growth spurt like 2005.

The problem is of course what mechanics and ideas it would take and I fear we wont know until we see them. The whole "MMOs took a wrong turn at Albuquerque" sadly does not help us for more then maybe giving us a few interesting niche games.

MMOs huge problem is that they are rather repetetive and when a game is that way eventually most fans will tire, we have already done the same thing in many other games over and over.

I am not saying that you can make a massive persistent game without repetition (unless you have a great AI that actually can create good new content really cheap) but that we need to change the type of content, starting with the endgame if we want to get somewhere.

Just recycling old ideas wont work, no matter if they are 5 or 20 years old.
    GdemamiConstantineMerus