Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Review in Progress #2 – Shifting Sands - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - Review in Progress #2 – Shifting Sands - MMORPG.com

Next week, we will put a score and summary on Path of Fire, the new Guild Wars 2 expansion. But this week, we’re still working through the deluge of new content and massive new zones. While many players have scooted through the story and started unlocking their Griffon mounts, we’re taking our time, seeing the sights, and getting lost in jumping puzzles and random encounters. In short, it’s like a return to form for Tyria. The game I fell in love with back in 2012 feels like it’s returned.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Jump Puzzles is that i hate the most in GW2 !
    Viper482Octagon7711lecram64SamhaelAshanorMigueMakeAjvi
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    I've been taking my time with the expansion too and so far I've been loving it. As a completionist, theres just soo many things to do and to experience that by the time living story 4 finally comes out, I'll still be actively participating in the expansion content for months to come.
    sumdumguy1

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm enjoying my time with this.  The loot has improved, the challenge is still much better than the base game and the new zones are  well designed (unlike the crazy mess zones that were HoT).
    lecram64
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    I decided to start a ranger from lev 1, and I have seen many people under lev 80 with mounts are they account bound so all your characters can get one once you complete the quest or something?
  • SuperYetiSuperYeti Member CommonPosts: 4

Elvoc said:

I decided to start a ranger from lev 1, and I have seen many people under lev 80 with mounts are they account bound so all your characters can get one once you complete the quest or something?

They sure are! That surprised me too when I logged onto a low lvl alt in core Tyria and discovered that I could use the mounts with mastery abilities I had earned on my main.
    Octagon7711
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    edited October 2017
    SuperYeti said:

Elvoc said:

They sure are! That surprised me too when I logged onto a low lvl alt in core Tyria and discovered that I could use the mounts with mastery abilities I had earned on my main.
    It's the same with the glider, but mounts really do make the leveling process so much faster.
    ExcessionOctagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Currently picking up the mastery points I missed in Tyria.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    This expac has reinvigorated my love for this game, definitely a 7-8/10 from where i'm looking, new zones are great(huge/lots of completion stuff/secrets) the mounts are great. story is about a 6/10 in my opinion(started great then seemed to be a bit rushed to end)
    Thupli
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited October 2017
    I've been somewhat enjoying the xpac. It's definitely a case of "if you didn't like it before, you won't like it now" obviously, and it's not the most exciting expansion to an MMO ever, but it's definitely a step in the right direction, and the mounts are extremely fun, though traversing the terrain while exploring can still be extremely frustrating at times. A lot of my time gets caught up in trying to get to something that seems simple enough, but ends up taking me half my playtime to figure out. lol

But I mean, it was my own decision to spend the time doing it, so I'm not really even saying this is a negative thing. 

This is a clear example of mounts being done right. I love that they have utility outside of just speeding you up, and they outdid themselves on the animations.

Going at it slow,also, in between FFXIV and WoW and not done the story yet, so I still have a long way to go. 
  • BlackdefBlackdef Member UncommonPosts: 55
    So Im thinking of jumping back into the game, Ive missed alot as im only 71, where can i catch up and find good info on what ive missed
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    Blackdef said:
    So Im thinking of jumping back into the game, Ive missed alot as im only 71, where can i catch up and find good info on what ive missed
    Woodenpotatoes youtube channel. If there is anything to know about the game, lore, story, etc., you can usually find it there. He's the most popular member of the Guild Wars community by far, and for good reason, in my opinion.

Also, the Guild Wars 2 Wiki is always a great source of information.

And if you struggle with buildcrafting, Metabattle has you covered.
    MrMelGibson
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    So you need to have at least a lvl 80 character before you get access to mounts? Pass. :-/
    Is HoT restricted to level 80?  I've noticed a lot of players new players in Tyria with gliding, could be it was picked up from their main character doing it but it seems like a lot.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

JeroKane said:
    So you need to have at least a lvl 80 character before you get access to mounts? Pass. :-/
    The game was designed to get to level 80 easily.  Plus with level advancement drops it doesn't take that long.  You get a level 80 advancement when you buy Hot or PoF.  I'm sitting on 2 level 80 advancements I haven't used.  They are good for testing as you can use them to test a level 80 class for as long as you like in Silverwastes Zone before you commit or choose to undo until you do want to use it.
    Excession

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited October 2017

JeroKane said:

If you buy PoF you do get a level 80 boost. This let's you boost and deleted any class until you are happy with whatever class you want at 80, then you can move right into PoF and get your raptor.

There was talk on the forums about a starter mount in the classic zones for new players, but I doubt it will happen.
    Thupli said:

JeroKane said:

Yeah, it is really geared to existing players.

However, if you buy PoF you do get a level 80 boost. This let's you boost and deleted any class unl you are happy, end you can move right into PoF and get your raptor.

There was talk on the forums about a starter mount in the classic zones for new players, but I doubt it will happen.
    I starter mount or mounts would be a great idea.  Most games have them. 

• BobRichmondBobRichmond Member UncommonPosts: 32
    The bounty system doesn't seem to appeal to new arrivals in the desert. This might be because it is definitely group content and at first solo exploring and getting used to the mounts is so enjoyable. However there are many bounty trains in LFG and bounties are probably the quickest way to level your PoF masteries in the game. When you finish the story is where the bounties come in real handy. First a few of them are needed to get your griffin. After that there are achievements for doing the bounties and items that the bounties drop needed for collections. These collections give you access to new armor, weapons, etc.

Bob