Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I was playing ESO - captured this screenshot.

Comments

• Nightshade98Nightshade98 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Nice SS from everyone, when I get back to my normal CPU I'll share a few...
    Jemcrystal
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Phry said:
    Mikeha said:
    ESO now looks dated. :/
    Technology stands still for noone, it doesn't take that long really for games to start looking dated, and it has been a few years since ESO released after all, at least its not as bad as SW:TOR, i dropped into that game recently after having been playing BDO, patch wednesdays yay, and i couldn't believe how clunky the character controls were, nor how 'old' the graphics looked.
    It doesn't take much playing the newer games to make the older games look even older, just take Eve Online, its a 2003 game but they regularly update visuals for ships etc. Recently they improved planets and stations and they are always working on how to make things look more impressive when exploding. :p
    Uhhh, I disagree with you on SW:TOR, you must have a shitty system. I play SW:TOR on max settings and that game is freaking fabulous. The details in everything from the dirt to city skylines in the zones is just out of this world. They have gone out of their way in all the details in the game for sure, do not take that away.
    Jemcrystal[Deleted User]ScotchUp

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    Honestly wish I could get into this game. I love TES, love MMO's....but this game just doesn't grab me at all.
    ... character customization is just so horribly bland.
    Can't be serious. There's more character development variations possible in this game than in most if not all other class based theme parks.
    While there is a certain amount of truth in that, the reality to me seems to be that choice of weapons to use and race has more impact/meaning than the 'class' chosen as its likely that only one or two abilities will really be all that useful, so you end up choosing between swords, 1handed or 2 handed, bows, or magical staff combat, the rest is pretty much akin to traits, they allow for a certain amount of 'variation' but i wouldn't say they were all that significant compared to weapon choices which is where the real 'class' determination seems to be made. :/
    The class has a pretty big impact, each has a range of powerful skills and class passives which synergize in different ways.

For example, in pvp when you see a nightblade you know its going to behave differently to a dragon knight or a templar, even if they are wearing the same armor/weapons.  
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Phry said:
    ESO's graphics are okay, but they are also a bit dated, when you compare it to games such as BDO, where the quality of the graphics is significantly higher it tends to highlight the difference in generations.
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think BDO’s graphics are butt-ugly, especially character skins. They all look like they have some kind of disease.
    Gdemami

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Phry said:
    ESO's graphics are okay, but they are also a bit dated, when you compare it to games such as BDO, where the quality of the graphics is significantly higher it tends to highlight the difference in generations.
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think BDO’s graphics are butt-ugly, especially character skins. They all look like they have some kind of disease.
    BDO is pretty good when you get rid of the default filter. IMO it and ESO are the two best looking MMOs at the moment. All in all I prefer the art style in ESO over BDO's though.

But BDO being "significantly higher"? Not a chance.
    Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    edited October 2017
    The game does have some nice scenery, however the nice scenerty doesn't fix the problem it does the biggest mistake "mmo"rpg's are making since wow brought them to casuals: Its made to be too much of a single player game, its missing the MMO elements. IMO other than the very beginning after that you should have to start teaming up to do anything, I am so tired of mmorpgs these days because they mostly feel like piss-poorly made single player games. Wheres the multiplayer part? Last mmorpg I played that actually felt like a mmorpg was final fantasy 11 back before abyssea and the casualifcation patches that dumbed the game down. I say this because past like level 10 or so soloing was a non-option for most classes, it was slow, rewarded poor exp, it was made this way on purpose to force people to team up and socialize. I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it. Also.. any idea why the post thing here on mmorpg.com completly ignores any time I try to break paragraphs apart? it just jumbles them all into 1 insted of formatting it as I orignally typed it. Here is a picture of what this post looks like in the editor, and well you can see how it ends up when I hit save comment: https://gyazo.com/5c6c6a1238948a361937791a2ac5f0a4
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Siveria said:
    The game does have some nice scenery, however the nice scenerty doesn't fix the problem it does the biggest mistake "mmo"rpg's are making since wow brought them to casuals: Its made to be too much of a single player game, its missing the MMO elements. IMO other than the very beginning after that you should have to start teaming up to do anything, I am so tired of mmorpgs these days because they mostly feel like piss-poorly made single player games. Wheres the multiplayer part? Last mmorpg I played that actually felt like a mmorpg was final fantasy 11 back before abyssea and the casualifcation patches that dumbed the game down. I say this because past like level 10 or so soloing was a non-option for most classes, it was slow, rewarded poor exp, it was made this way on purpose to force people to team up and socialize. I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it. Also.. any idea why the post thing here on mmorpg.com completly ignores any time I try to break paragraphs apart? it just jumbles them all into 1 insted of formatting it as I orignally typed it. Here is a picture of what this post looks like in the editor, and well you can see how it ends up when I hit save comment: https://gyazo.com/5c6c6a1238948a361937791a2ac5f0a4
    IDK what your off-topic rant has to do with graphics but anyway... WTF is wrong with you guys who want others or even yourself to be "forced to socialize."

It's like a parent going postal and taking away all your electronics so you are forced to socialize and play the way they did when they were growing up.

Grouping options with good incentives for grouping are one thing but being forced to do it by removing all else is like a textbook definition of fascist game development.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]immodium
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited October 2017
    Siveria said:
    The game does have some nice scenery, however the nice scenerty doesn't fix the problem it does the biggest mistake "mmo"rpg's are making since wow brought them to casuals: Its made to be too much of a single player game, its missing the MMO elements.

IMO other than the very beginning after that you should have to start teaming up to do anything, I am so tired of mmorpgs these days because they mostly feel like piss-poorly made single player games.

Wheres the multiplayer part? Last mmorpg I played that actually felt like a mmorpg was final fantasy 11 back before abyssea and the casualifcation patches that dumbed the game down. I say this because past like level 10 or so soloing was a non-option for most classes, it was slow, rewarded poor exp, it was made this way on purpose to force people to team up and socialize.

I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it.

Also.. any idea why the post thing here on mmorpg.com completly ignores any time I try to break paragraphs apart? it just jumbles them all into 1 insted of formatting it as I orignally typed it. Here is a picture of what this post looks like in the editor, and well you can see how it ends up when I hit save comment: https://gyazo.com/5c6c6a1238948a361937791a2ac5f0a4
    You might like the pvp in ESO then, because you pretty much have to team up to get anything done. 

Not sure why your paragraph breaks don' t work. I put some in for you ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Siveria said:
    I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it. 
    Have you seen how people act in-game these days? I can totally understand why people want to play solo. Sometimes the douchebag quotient is just too high for multiplayer to be enjoyable. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I wish more games had the play any weapon factor.  Not as efficient but much more fun.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I hate the combat system in this game. It doesn't feel right I can't explain it. 
    BellaHSovrathsumdumguy1
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    Honestly wish I could get into this game. I love TES, love MMO's....but this game just doesn't grab me at all.
    Can't be serious. There's more character development variations possible in this game than in most if not all other class based theme parks.
    While there is a certain amount of truth in that, the reality to me seems to be that choice of weapons to use and race has more impact/meaning than the 'class' chosen as its likely that only one or two abilities will really be all that useful, so you end up choosing between swords, 1handed or 2 handed, bows, or magical staff combat, the rest is pretty much akin to traits, they allow for a certain amount of 'variation' but i wouldn't say they were all that significant compared to weapon choices which is where the real 'class' determination seems to be made. :/
    That's so not true.

Your character build depends on so many factors - weapons used, stat point distribution, skills used, mundus stone chosen, which gear combination(s) used (mixing light/med/heavy, set-bonuses), what traits applied... and so on.

There are so many ways you can play any given Class, it's overwhelming. Take Sorcerer.. You can play a Stamina-based Sorc or a Magic-based sorc. Within either of those two approaches, there are numerous builds to try, based on different applications of the above-mentioned options available. It's not a case where, like in many (most?) other MMOs, options are pointless 'cause there's only one or two "viable builds". A number of builds can be viable in ESO.

For example, here's just two examples of how you could build a Stamina-based Sorcerer... from the same person.
    Windwalker
    Deathstroke

That's just two options out of many for one approach (stamina) to one class. There's plenty more options out there as well.

In ESO, your class choice is where your character's options *begin*... unlike other titles where it's the end-definition of what it will become.

There's simply no way a person can say with a straight-face that character build/customization is "bland", unless they're either really good at dead-pan humor, or they have no idea how ESO actually is and are talking out their rears. Though, I'm finding a lot of the criticism leveled at ESO is either people being blatantly dishonest, clinging to "how the game was at launch" as though it's still the same now, or just going on what they've heard others say.

YashaX[Deleted User]
  • GaxusnGaxusn Member UncommonPosts: 77
    edited October 2017
    I've just bought Morrowind for PS4, being delivered tomorrow. Not played in a long time, which was on PC, so hoping for a better experience this time around.

I enjoyed it previously, but never got 'hooked'... here's hoping. 

I do agree the game gets a lot of negativity and I don't understand why. Maybe because it's a step away from the normal WoW/EQ2/SWTOR/Rift etc... who knows.

Definitely not a bad game by any means.

@ OP: I like the screenshot, looks cool :smile:

Playing: Nothing
    Played: EQ1, EQ2, VG:SoH, WoW, AoC, LoTRO, Aion, L2, DF, WAR.
    Favourites: EQ1, VG:SoH, Original WoW.
    Waiting: Pantheon: ROTF

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited October 2017
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    That's so not true.

Your character build depends on so many factors - weapons used, stat point distribution, skills used, mundus stone chosen, which gear combination(s) used (mixing light/med/heavy, set-bonuses), what traits applied... and so on.

There are so many ways you can play any given Class, it's overwhelming. Take Sorcerer.. You can play a Stamina-based Sorc or a Magic-based sorc. Within either of those two approaches, there are numerous builds to try, based on different applications of the above-mentioned options available. It's not a case where, like in many (most?) other MMOs, options are pointless 'cause there's only one or two "viable builds". A number of builds can be viable in ESO.

For example, here's just two examples of how you could build a Stamina-based Sorcerer... from the same person.
    Windwalker
    Deathstroke

That's just two options out of many for one approach (stamina) to one class. There's plenty more options out there as well.

In ESO, your class choice is where your character's options *begin*... unlike other titles where it's the end-definition of what it will become.

There's simply no way a person can say with a straight-face that character build/customization is "bland", unless they're either really good at dead-pan humor, or they have no idea how ESO actually is and are talking out their rears. Though, I'm finding a lot of the criticism leveled at ESO is either people being blatantly dishonest, clinging to "how the game was at launch" as though it's still the same now, or just going on what they've heard others say.

Hahahahaha, let me list the ways you are incorrect.

Stamina DPS= Dual Wield/Bow
    Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff
    Magicka DPS= Destro staff and/or Dual Wield depending on how zenimax is messing with passives.

Anything else is gimp.

They let you think you have choices, but their meta is so much of a runaway train that running anything else is just plain stupid.

I LOVE every single other aspect of ESO, but the customization is laughable because of a lack of viable alternatives.
    Post edited by Kajidourden on
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Please stop bumping this thread, its months old ._.
    PhryTheScavenger

imageimage

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    I should give ESO another go. Sure, it's much too loose for me(I prefer guided approach of SWTOR), but I haven't got anything better to play as is. Should I?
    The story line is quite "guided" if you follow it. You'll get new quests regularly for it.

Thank you. After I secure my SWTOR characters, I'll give it a shot. Truly this time. I mean, there isn't any other MMO I even could think of playing, so why not?
    Wedlen said:
    I hate the combat system in this game. It doesn't feel right I can't explain it. 

Yeah, I experienced the inverse version of this with Dark Souls III. I like it so much, but I'm not certain why. Something with colors and aesthetics etc. Quite irrational.

I went back a few months ago.  I couldn't make it past a week and a few days.  The combat is not good and the story felt convoluted to me.   This game just doesn't work for me like the others I play. 
  • MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I quit ESO. I did animation canceling and learned how to do it and got very good with it. But its not a feature it is broke and Zenimax took the easy way out and said it was a feature. Lame..fix it.
    YashaX
  • shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Quit also. Played for a long time from release but due to work commitments I gave it a break for awhile. When I returned I found that it had changed completely to level scaling. On the plus side it gives a player a challenge anywhere but for me it killed the game. Mat drops for crafting now all level based, no point in travelling anymore. Mobs all the same bland level scaled borefest... no point in travelling or exploring. As all the mobs scale to your level, there is no point in levelling except to get to endgame content, which is now the entire focus of the game. Gear grind pointless boring generic pap. 
    TaishiFox said:
    Please stop bumping this thread, its months old ._.
    You do realize what you just did there, right?

You do also realize what you could have done instead, right?

I hope the answer to both questions is 'yes'.

Phry

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff
    Magicka DPS= Destro staff and/or Dual Wield depending on how zenimax is messing with passives.

Anything else is gimp.

Well that's what min-maxers will do in every game they play lol. For them I think it's better to not give them the ability to build their own. Classes with strict separations probably seem like more variety for them.... go figure.
    QuarterStackGdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2017

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff

Anything else is gimp.

They let you think you have choices, but their meta is so much of a runaway train that running anything else is just plain stupid.

I LOVE every single other aspect of ESO, but the customization is laughable because of a lack of viable alternatives.
    So, here's my dilemma after reading that.

I can't decide if you're being disingenuous, are short-sighted, not very knowledgable about ESO, or just trolling. Each part of your post leaves a different impression, so maybe it's a little of each.

At the very least, I would hope you realize that a build in ESO is significantly more than "what weapon am I using?". Right?

Suffice it to say, your list there is amusingly over-simplified, in a number of ways.

YashaXGdemamipostlarval
    Iselin said:

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff

Anything else is gimp.

Well that's what min-maxers will do in every game they play lol. For them I think it's better to not give them the ability to build their own. Classes with strict separations probably seem like more variety for them.... go figure.
    Good point, that, as well!

One thing many Min-Maxers have in common, is they can't comprehend that not everyone obsesses over numbers the way they do as the "be-all end-all" of MMO gaming. Had a friend in RL who was like that with FFXI. He never could understand how I could possibly enjoy the game if I wasn't playing it "optimally",  keeping up with the latest "ultimate build guide du-jour".
    SovrathGdemami
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited October 2017
    Iselin said:

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff

Anything else is gimp.

Except in most games it's a 10-15% increase, not a 200fucking% increase in performance.

50k+ DPS vs 20 at best with a sub-optimal build.  Sorry but that's not "min-max" that's stupid vs performing well.

There is an OUTRAGOEUS disparity between meta and non-meta builds in ESO, you cannot deny that unless you just have blinders on.