Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you NOT playing Elite: Dangerous?

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Feels like ED has hit that rare spot where the game is too easy for some and too hard for the general masses.  
    klash2defGdemamiMaurgrim

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Mardukk said:
    I didn't enjoy the steep learning curve.  I watched hours of videos just to attempt to understand the basics.  The default keyboard controls are madenning.  Maybe I should not have tried to play the game with keyboard and mouse.
    Okay now this is a HUGE obstacle. When I first played, I realized how much of a commitment the game was going to take...not only to progress the game...but the controls. I use a Xbox One controller and remembering all the buttons and all the combinations to press is still requiring me to learn and remember things. I stopped playing the first time, not because the game was bad to me, but because of the controls rofl.

Even though there IS a large group of players that use a keyboard and mouse (they say to NOT use the default control keybindings but to customize them to a better setup)...I'd never use anything but a controller for Elite Dangerous. The keyboard controls would make me rage rofl
    same I play with an XBONE controller.
    ghettoceleb
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Thanks to those who shared their thoughts on what there is to do, sounds pretty interesting, likely will go the joystick route when the time comes to try it 

Likely be next spring unless I clear or tire of my current single player game roster. 
    klash2def

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2017
    Is Elite Dangerous actually an MMO? (Serious question, I'd appreciate an answer from someone who uses a proper definition of the term.)

Edit: Someone mentioned the grind. Is there a major grind and is it a typical situation where you are pretty much helpless against older players until you finish it?
    Gdemami
    edited October 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Is Elite Dangerous actually an MMO? (Serious question, I'd appreciate an answer from someone who uses a proper definition of the term.)
    This is a safe space. 

Edit: It was a joke..
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Safe space or not, the answer to the question is important to whether or not I would consider playing this game. Part of the reason I've never really looked into this game is that I got the impression it wasn't
    Gdemami
    edited October 2017
    @Eldurian to answer your edit. Yes and No. There is a grind but it does not make you helpless against other players. Its skill based. I have seen with my own eyes guys who thought they had an easy target based on ship type, but the "lesser" ship destroyed them because they were the better pilot.

Be careful who you pull out of FSD.. 

The vip grind to me is the money variety so you can get better guns and ships but again a better gun and ship with a rookie pilot means nothing against a expert pilot in a starter ship. 

Edit: there is also a rep/status grind that you ignore totally if you want but its there for people who enjoy that.. personally I'm a bounty hunter so I couldnt tell ya much about that. 

edited October 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Safe space or not, the answer to the question is important to whether or not I would consider playing this game. Part of the reason I've never really looked into this game is that I got the impression it wasn't
    Cant tell if you are trolling or not and I dont want to see this thread do a repeat of others here.. but I would call it MMO-Lite like most games out there these days.. You can play with other people but I have yet to play with 100s of people at once.. the most its been its like 15 people for me personally.

You can do the content with other people, small groups but there are no raids, dungeons, those sort of things. Its kinda a big open space and you have to find your people to start doing things with them. Its not a very social game which to me is one of its negative points.

Edit: 15 people + Random NPCs
    Post edited by klash2def on

Eldurian said:
    According to @Phaserlight above it only supports 16 (or 32) pilots per "instance' and it appears pilots can choose to solo alone in their own instance if so desired. 

If true I'd say its more of a MinMO, Minimally Multiplayer Online game.
    EldurianGdemamiJamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Eldurian said:

Edit: Someone mentioned the grind. Is there a major grind and is it a typical situation where you are pretty much helpless against older players until you finish it?

I wouldn't call it a true MMO, it's more of an MMO-like. 

There's masses of grind if you want it, ie reaching Elite status in combat, trading and/or exploration, there's grind if you the largest faction specific ships, there's grind if you want to unlock all the Engineers and put max modifications on your ships etc.
    Or you can just play the game without really focusing on any of those things.
    JamesGoblin
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Erillion said:
    Steep learning curve.

And you have to find your own goal in a vast, uncaring universe.

You are NOT the hero. You are Joe Nobody. Do you want to become the hero ? Work for it. Become the hero in the eyes of your fellow players. Because the universe does not care about you.

Have fun
    So, like real life then?
    Kyleranklash2def
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Like Star Citizen it limits the players in every instance - a price you have to pay for visual fidelity.

So .. E:D is not a MMO in the sense that EVE is an MMO ... no 4000 players in the same spot at the same time in the same instance (and yes, I know, EVE uses all kinds of tricks to do that and it still is a lagfest deluxe).

It is a multiplayer game, but not a "massively" multiplayer game.

Have fun
    klash2defTealaJamesGoblin
    Erillion said:
    Like Star Citizen it limits the players in every instance - a price you have to pay for visual fidelity.

So .. E:D is not a MMO in the sense that EVE is an MMO ... no 4000 players in the same spot at the same time in the same instance (and yes, I know, EVE uses all kinds of tricks to do that and it still is a lagfest deluxe).

Have fun
     Is there preset limit or does the number of players vary situationally?

Any plans to try and increase the limits some or is 32 (or whatever it is) likely to remain the same going forward?

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited October 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
     Is there preset limit or does the number of players vary situationally?

Any plans to try and increase the limits some or is 32 (or whatever it is) likely to remain the same going forward?

It varys situationally. The only reason 32 gets thrown around is because back in the beta they said they were upping the numbers to 32 (at that time), but there's plenty of videos where people go way past that. It does tend to get a bit laggy though seeing it's using a peer-to-peer setup.
    KyleranandredocJamesGoblin
  • Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    iI sold my account a few weeks after launch. 
    It was boring like h..l at that time.
    Gdemami
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    LeFantome said:
    No one is playing?

I think a lot of people are. I constantly run into other commanders. What game are you playing?

You're not playing the same game as us, for sure. The game is empty. OP, I stop playing because there is not enough content and the grind is way to real for me.
    I sure am! In fact, I probably play more than you do for sure, and I can tell ya it's far from empty. There's solo play, and group play, but not empty. There's actually a surprising amount of people in open play.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    So...why is no one playing?
    You said yourself PvP ... check.
    Eldurian
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    The game looks awesome and the concept seems interesting too. But I keep reading about how boring the actual gameplay is and because of the season pass thing I still haven't picked it up in a sale. I wonder if it is kind of like EVE. EVE is great as part of a corp and if you like pvp. But just for PVE and on your own, there is not that much to do.

I would love a good scifi game in this kind of setting.
    Gdemami
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited October 2017
    Eldurian said:

ED is a single player game with any kind of story ripped out, hardly any kind of group play all mashed into a sandbox where people like klash2def will say you're not playing right when you say there's not much to do.

The polish he claims is not very well polished, don't take my word for it just go to their own forums and see the complaints ad nauseam yourself.

Ed come down to 3 basic things:

space trucking
    pewpew
    mine

Every single thing falls into those three, even CG's.  Hell you can't even trade with other commanders unless you count dropping crap in space and having a buddy scoop the stuff up.

ED is essentially a single player game with almost everything that makes them worth playing taken away to try and be a sandbox but with the tool required of sandboxes not given to you.

Ronald88 said:
    iI sold my account a few weeks after launch. 
    It was boring like h

Still pretty much the same game, they added a few variations of what was already there, some half baked planetary landing stuff, n powerplay which is just a couple more screen variation of go pewpew.

If you can spend time on galnet and in the FD forums and different group forums then you can psych yourself up to believing there's some "goal" or "endgame" type play that will not actually show or change much in the verse beyond a couple arrow or numbers moving in one of the screen when you happen to look at it.

OH just wanted to add some ships are locked behind certain Fed and Empire ranks.
    Gdemamiklash2def

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    This is going to sound awful, but I bought the game on Steam and got a refund shortly after trying it.  I tried to land at a space station and could not fucking master it.  The station was rotating and had one little slot that you were supposed find and line up perfectly with while everything was in motion.  On top of that, you had a limited time to do it, or, I believe, the station would blast you to bits.  This had me pulling my hair out in frustration.  For someone of my limited coordination, it was below zero fun.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiJamesGoblin
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    let me know when i can take a dump with realistic facial expressions
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    This is going to sound awful, but I bought the game on Steam and got a refund shortly after trying it.  I tried to land at a space station and could not fucking master it.  The station was rotating and had one little slot that you were supposed find and line up perfectly with while everything was in motion.  On top of that, you had a limited time to do it, or, I believe, the station would blast you to bits.  This had me pulling my hair out in frustration.  For someone of my limited coordination, it was below zero fun.

Was this for a specific mission? Or in general? I would expect mandatory autopilot to dock at any space stations to prevent structural damage when the pilot is drunk or something :p
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited October 2017

Was this for a specific mission? Or in general? I would expect mandatory autopilot to dock at any space stations to prevent structural damage when the pilot is drunk or something :p
    You have to manual dock UNLESS you buy a docking computer which is a module that can be added into ships.

Docking is not that hard, unless you're not set up correctly, and just takes a little practice.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I still play now and then, but until they add space-legs, space cantinas, and the ability to actually inter-act with other NPC's and players in stations it's basically just a space-sim.  Besides you can only grind so many credits before you wonder what you'll do with the millions you hoarded.  I also wish they had a better character creator...it's good, but it could be better.  Not enough sliders to make fine adjustments. 

BTW here is a pic of my character - CMDR Khavi Kitamatsu of the Sorento(cargo vessal).

mysticmouseandredocAsm0deusJamesGoblin
  • mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I recently tried this game out and quit after roughly an hour of time. Its seems well made but it made me feel sick while playing. I cant enjoy  a game that makes me queasy and dizzy. This has happened to me before , but only with game that use motion blur effects. I did try and adjust the graphics but to no avail.