Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - ArenaNet Celebrates the Griffon with a Secret Path of Fire Mount - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - ArenaNet Celebrates the Griffon with a Secret Path of Fire Mount - MMORPG.com

The cat's out of the bag: ArenaNet put a secret hidden mount inside of their latest Guild Wars 2 expansion: Path of Fire. Now that everyone everywhere is getting their Griffon, we caught up with the designers to chat about how and why they decided to keep this one a secret.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Looks very cool, I better get started :) Been enjoying the expansion so far, it was a good addition
    Ruadankalca
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    The heck?
    Ajvi
  • MazingerZMazingerZ Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Still seems to be a clusterfuck of an MMO tho. Never feel like anything's accomplished other than the daily login carrot after 2 hours of play.
    RuadanSasori_japTehhiSpellshaperAjviKyosumarisetsua28
  • RuadanRuadan Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2017
    @MazingerZ: Maybe that's because GW2 is more about fun than about accomplishment and prestige, and you belong to those intriguing people who can never have one thing without the other.
    GW2 doesn't have a gear grind or even a function to show off how much better your gear is compared to others. If you want to accomplish something, gather a complete set of Hellfire or Radiant Armor by earning achievement points, or try raids and make legendary armor and weapons. Then there's WvW and PvP ranking and PvP tournaments. That's about as prestige-y as it gets without going back to a gear-treadmill MMO.

I personally love what they did with the griffon. There were leaks beforehand, but once the official mount reveal happened, many people thought the griffon had been scrapped during development. So it kind of was a surprise to everyone, even those who had seen the leaks. The mount itself seems a lot of fun, and I am going to enjoy working towards it for quite a while. Considering that I am not selling massive stacks of materials to get the 250 gold in a day or two, the other mounts will have a lot more time to shine, which is probably pretty good. It should keep me excited about Path of Fire up until the release of Living Story Season 4, and beyond.
    Octagon7711SiphaedMagikarpsGhostMrMelGibsonNephethTehhitirwenKyosumarisetsua28
  • MazingerZMazingerZ Member UncommonPosts: 52
    @Ruadan No, it's just that the game doesn't really make you feel like you're doing anything worthwhile. I end up nuking or selling pretty much anything that drops. The only time combat feels good is solo, otherwise it's very hard to get a sense of contribution in a zerg. Probably the best part of the Trinity is the idea that in small groups, you have an important job, whether it's boss control, damage or healing. You will never feel like you're making a meaningful contribution in GW2, because there's no real failure state in GW2 beyond lack of numbers to complete events.
    SpellshaperAjviBeezerbeezYaevinduskchojin2kMegapixelPinoXKyosumarisetsua28
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Great article! Makes me wonder who the first person was to complete the Griffon quest and how they discovered it (future interview?). They did a great job with it and it surprised me when I first saw another player riding it.

I agree that GW2 is all about fun for me. I've been with the game off and on since the start and only one of my characters has a legendary, just did it to see what it was like. I usually sit on around 500 gold on average so doing the quest wasn't a problem.

The only thing is they should have had more waypoints. Limited waypoints wasn't needed to get people to use mounts more, imo.
    Kyosumari

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kalcakalca Member UncommonPosts: 47

MazingerZ said:

@Ruadan No, it's just that the game doesn't really make you feel like you're doing anything worthwhile. I end up nuking or selling pretty much anything that drops. The only time combat feels good is solo, otherwise it's very hard to get a sense of contribution in a zerg. Probably the best part of the Trinity is the idea that in small groups, you have an important job, whether it's boss control, damage or healing. You will never feel like you're making a meaningful contribution in GW2, because there's no real failure state in GW2 beyond lack of numbers to complete events.

Its better to stay silent then to miss inform ppl.
    TehhiAjviNephethKyosumari
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Mount looks great.
    I believe most everything in the story except i have my own thought/s.

I believe it went down as stated but the final verdict was based on a simplistic idea that if people see and get this mount immediately,it would equate to more sales.

They were right in their first assessment,stuff in game SHOULD and ALWAYS be earned not used as a cash shop or baiting sales of any kind.I have said this over and over and in all games,i am not just picking on GW2/Arena.net.
    So bottom line,is their entire story,reasoning was perfectly sound,the end result was not.

Ajvi

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This would also be more in line as a SURPRISE !! than a secret as a secret is not something you outright shove in someone's face lol.
    I have a secret,here let me tell you ..lmao.
    AjviPinoX

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Wizardry said:

This would also be more in line as a SURPRISE !! than a secret as a secret is not something you outright shove in someone's face lol.
    I have a secret,here let me tell you ..lmao.

Like Batman's surprise identity . . .
    AjviGaleOm
  • escapethyfateescapethyfate Member UncommonPosts: 1

kalca said:

MazingerZ said:

Its better to stay silent then to miss inform ppl.

Misinformation? That guy absolutely nails the problem that people that a bunch of people that don't enjoy the game, have with it.
    PinoX
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited October 2017
    Ive always felt GW2 is an MMO where you play next to other people not with them.
    YaevinduskMegapixelKyleran
  • MegapixelMegapixel Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I think the mmorpg genre is starting to shift again. The games have become very lack-luster, grindy, buggy, empty, bot-infested, politically-fueled-Barrens-chat-trollfests. Micro transactions and shitty dlc "expansions" that are overpriced and break the immersion. Scams like loot-boxes and founder's packs just really piss me off. The hype ends quickly and the resentment lasts a lifetime. Maybe it's just me and if it is, ..cool. But I find myself unsubbing and uninstalling more often lately. As much as the community (myself included) often picks on WoW and the ppl who still play it in 2017, you have to admit that ever since its decline in popularity gamers are less loyal to newer games and are much more brutal and salty to one another. There are very few triple A developers with the ability to fix this situation but they wont because they are money-grubbing bastards who work for Evil Corp. Blizzard should just stop fuqin around and just make a WoW2. Oh yeah, they gotta get it approved by Activision... (Evil Corp). We need our crack back dammit. At least when we had vanilla-flavored wowcrack we were actually having fun and rarely complained that a dungeon took 6 HOURS to complete. Now a dungeon takes 6 minutes to complete and nobody even talks. And dailies? OMG dont get me started on DAILIES!!!! >.< Blizzard please fix this.. Oh yeah this thread was about GW2... ahh fuqit.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I have installed GW2 again and signed in a few times and i just cant get back into it. I have tried about 5 times in the hopes that i will be hyped enough to buy Path of Fire. But i just cant. I dont even leave Lions Arch. Im just so bored of the way the game is. OH well.
  • PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited October 2017
    It's not really a "SECRET" when players found it on Day2 after release date. Plus there were leak info about it before release.
    Charlie Sheen and Harvey Weinstein were doing a better job hiding their disgusting secrets to the public than Anet was on their Griffon mount. True Story.
  • KyosumariKyosumari Member CommonPosts: 1
    The whole point of GW2 IS to never be done with everything. It's absolutely filled with content so that you always have something to do. Collections, achievements, and Legendary crafting give you distinct and clearly laid out steps to take to work your way towards an end goal that is both challenging, and yet gives you clear "Hey! You've made progress today!" steps each time you tackle it.

The lack of the Trinity is good, imo, because it allows you to break free of the same old boring "every healer uses this build, every dps uses this gear etc" and always "Oh, this is a healer class, and these are their only skills, and they use this weapon" - it's filled with variety, with different roles being able to filled by almost any class in a different way.

Some people in this thread have also never experienced or tried Raids, because you absolutely have fail states where the whole group will wipe if you are not on top of your role, your build, and the mechanics of the fight. And it's not a zerg of 50+ people, it's a group of 10. Healers, Tanks, and Buff Bots, different types of DPS - all necessary roles that have different mechanics depending on the Raid.

If you expect to play an MMO and have everything done and accomplished within two hours of logging in, then no, GW2 is not the game for you. God forbid you have content to still participate in even after years of playing it to keep it new...

But for real, if you don't like the game, that's fine. People have different tastes. But don't misinform people about it.
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176

Kyosumari said:

Some people in this thread have also never experienced or tried Raids, because you absolutely have fail states where the whole group will wipe if you are not on top of your role, your build, and the mechanics of the fight. And it's not a zerg of 50+ people, it's a group of 10. Healers, Tanks, and Buff Bots, different types of DPS - all necessary roles that have different mechanics depending on the Raid.

but you get nothing of value from it as gw2 is just an achievement hunter game.

if people are happy getting a skin, title, achievement or something that has no progression in an mmoRPG then sure.

you can raid in almost any other mmorpg and actually get the same and more