Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best Story-Driven MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member RarePosts: 792
    1. ESO
    2. Those that are not ESO

Seriously, ESO is the only story that hooked me. It seems like every quest in ESO is somehow related to a faction story and loosely related to the main story. To me that makes the story more engaging and believable. In defense of the other games however, TES lore has been around for a lot longer so there's more to initially draw from.

As for LOTRO, I don't really think it should be on the list. The difference here is the "story" in LOTRO isn't designed by the developers, like ESO, GW2, etc. They didn't create the world and mythos. That game draws from a decades-old classic book and frankly, the only thing Turbine did was take a great story and turn it into a mediocre set of tasks.
    Actually, what they did in LoTRO was create stories surrounding and related to that of the books. I suspect that in some ways that would be more difficult than being able to create the world whole cloth as you must deal with details as they were presented rather than being able to define them as suits you.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,641
    As for LOTRO, I don't really think it should be on the list. The difference here is the "story" in LOTRO isn't designed by the developers, like ESO, GW2, etc. They didn't create the world and mythos. That game draws from a decades-old classic book and frankly, the only thing Turbine did was take a great story and turn it into a mediocre set of tasks.
    I guess we've played two different games :wink:
    Turbine did nothing with the great story of Tolkien, that was the point - and the writing team did a pretty good job actually, building a story around and inbetween Tolkien's work. So the "story... isn't designed by the developers" part is simply not true.
    On a sidenote, it wasn't an easy task either, considering ME is one of the most detailed world out there, which is also cohesive and from one man. (True, there's a fair share of Christopher's work in it, especially in History of ME, to give credit where it's due)

"They didn't create the world" also not entirely true, they did create quite a lot, especially in areas which have a past but not mentioned or detailed during the Ring's journey - and their work of presenting those areas fits well into the lore (all the way to the finer details like the names in Forochel Turbine derived from older finnish words because of the Kalevala's influence on some names Tolkien used in relation with the north)
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 2,852
    wth? where is FFXI? FFXI > all by miles
    Blazeyer
  • AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109
    No Asheron's Call? Seriously? It is one of the most story driven and unique MMOs ever made.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,566
    edited October 2017
    SWTOR is the only MMO I ever played JUST for the story. I don't know how this could ever not be #1 in this category. Even if you don't like the game itself, people play just for the story. How many people play GW2 or ESO just for the story? I would bet the list is not very big.
    Azaron_Nightbladepantaro
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited October 2017
    This has to be the easiest list ever. 

1. ESO
    2. SWTOR
    3. TSW
    Deep down under - LotRO, FFXI..
    Even deeper - GW2, FFXIV...
    At the bottom - WoW, Rift, EvE, Black Desert and a countless others..
    sumdumguy1
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I'm amazed, & appalled, that the original Everquest didn't even make this top 10 list. That omission deserves a back-of-the-hand. Perhaps since it is such an antiquated game by now, but when it comes to delivering original story-driven content back in it's day it offered it & not always in linear fashion. Heck it even had progression-servers, & content for players to seek out, learn, & discover.
  • OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Why does it take three pages to include a simple Top Ten list? This is shameful click-baiting.
  • UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I agree with the 10 games but not their order.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,004
    edited October 2017
    No, I won't bite that Guild Wars 2 #1 troll bait(I can understand it only as such).

My list:

10. RIFT
    9. EQ 2 
    8. WOW
    7. WAR 
    6. GW 1
    5. FF XIV
    4. LOTR:O
    3. ESO
    2. TSW
    1. SWTOR
    Azaron_NightbladePinoXpantaro

Celcius said:

If you liked the SWTOR story, you clearly didn't play a Bounty Hunter. The story they had was an utter mess. It started okay, but then at about the middle it starts going in 80 different directions and is an incomprehensible mess.

From what I have heard this is similar to most classes, because they changed writers too much in development for each one.

It's not the only one. BH's story is basically act 1, filler, act 1 revisited, END. lol

But, still, it has more flair to it than the Inquisitor story. That one has zero brains and zero charms. Unless you're playing it like Darth Bane(DO NOT MOLD YOUR INQ ON PALPATINE! You've been warned!), then it kinda works like DB lite.

I'm not a big fan of JK too. They made Jedi in general wrong. Got the wrong impression about them. I'll give you my balanced list of stories:

1. Sith Warrior
    2. Smuggler
    3. Agent
    4. Consular
    5. Trooper
    5. Knight
    7. Bounty Hunter
    8. Inquisitor

Trooper and JK stories are very similar, it's just that one's protagonist is Luke and the other's Rambo.
  • ManAteArmsManAteArms Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Imho WoW did a huge step forward with Legion and even surpassed games like GW2 or ESO.

FFXIV on the other hand is a really bad example for a story driven game. The story is boring and the presentation is bland and cheap. Not a good point for a story-driven game.
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 40

SBFord said:

@BillMurphy is wrong. :P SWTOR is the #1 story-driven game on MY list followed by LOTRO, ESO, GW2.

SWTOR is definitely at the top of my list for story. GW2 story is barely tolerable, imho.
  • Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    SWTOR is definitely #1. I understand these lists are opinion-biased, but still... I could even let SWTOR go to #2 or even #3 if there was a really good stance, but this list is wtf.
    pantaro
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,009
    Karnage69 said:
    SWTOR is definitely #1. I understand these lists are opinion-biased, but still... I could even let SWTOR go to #2 or even #3 if there was a really good stance, but this list is wtf.

No, this list is Bill's opinion.  He thought the story in GW2 was a bigger part of the game than any of the others listed.  No WTF necessary.  It's like someone saying "Reign in Blood by Slayer is the best song ever!" to a country music fan.  The country fan, if he or she was accepting and wise enough, would nod and offer his or her opinion.  Love how these forum nerds get all butt hurt about a meaningless list meant to draw clicks from butthurt forum nerds. 

And now you've made me a butthurt forum nerd complaining about a butthurt forum nerd.  Crap.
    KyleranAzaron_NightbladeMrMelGibsonpantarosumdumguy1
  • CazrielCazriel Member UncommonPosts: 409
    LOTRO is Number One, hands down. The story is the game. All the others can fight for second place.
    sumdumguy1
  • PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited October 2017

Big part of GW2 story was literally ruined by this dude. No, it doesn't deserve to be number 1. No matter how driven it was, standing beside Trahearne in instances just plain blows. I got this sensation i wanted to rinse my brain with borax just to forget him.
    GeezerGamerMrMelGibson
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,726
    PinoX said:

Big part of GW2 story was literally ruined by this dude. No, it doesn't deserve to be number 1. No matter how driven it was, standing beside Trahearne in instances just plain blows. I got this sensation i wanted to rinse my brain with borax just to forget him.
    You mean considering you were the sidekick in his story?
    sumdumguy1
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,076
    I'll be damned if ESO isn't on every one of these lists, despite its mediocrity.
    sumdumguy1

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• SemuneSemune Member UncommonPosts: 15
    GW2 over FFXIV and SWTOR?

Hmmm... GW2's story is really...really short and bland with just a few points where it feels great. FFXIV on the other hand has 2 expansions where the story is A+++ material, and SWTOR is literally ALL story, and a very good one at that.

Something's not right here. Not calling advertisement, but c'mon.
    Azaron_NightbladeKyleranGorwe
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,322
    My problem with GW2 has always been the classes. Unfortunately, despite liking the rest of the game, not a single class felt good to play.
  • kallenskallens Member UncommonPosts: 39
    FFXIV has an amazing story, I get so emotional just hearing the music from the game.....Heavenwards was so good, and I'm looking forward to patch 4.1 to see where we are heading in Stormblood.....GW2 for me has the worst voice acting in any game ever, I would cringe during every cut scene
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member RarePosts: 3,339
    UO tops the list.
    I mean, Lord British was murdered in plain sight!
    And many more stories of the like.
    The theft of Mondain's Relics by a player, the swarm of the (little blob things, forget the name) as they were split by the NPC town guards (you had to use fire to kill them instead of splitting them), the secret of the black necklace, etc, etc., etc.
    But I know that's not whatcha mean. You mean scripted.
    MrMelGibson

Once upon a time....

Karnage69 said:

No, this list is Bill's opinion.  He thought the story in GW2 was a bigger part of the game than any of the others listed.  No WTF necessary.  It's like someone saying "Reign in Blood by Slayer is the best song ever!" to a country music fan.  The country fan, if he or she was accepting and wise enough, would nod and offer his or her opinion.  Love how these forum nerds get all butt hurt about a meaningless list meant to draw clicks from butthurt forum nerds. 

And now you've made me a butthurt forum nerd complaining about a butthurt forum nerd.  Crap.
    He even mentioned that it isn't about how good the story is, but rather how good it feels and fits into the world. Like I can say that I prefer Consular to Agent in SWTOR. Almost blasphemous, but there you've it. I fully understand. I still prefer weighing facts and making lists to...this.
    Xasapis said:
    My problem with GW2 has always been the classes. Unfortunately, despite liking the rest of the game, not a single class felt good to play.
    My problem is how silly and pointless it all feels / looks. It's the exact same problem I have with Divinity:Original Sin 1(unsure about 2). I just can't get immersed in something as silly as GW 2. Ok, the Smuggler's silly as well, but it doesn't try to be anything but heroic / vile + silly. GW 2 otoh does and fails massively.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,726
    edited October 2017
    @BillMurphy
    But this is the thing......Even if GW2's story was the best story out there, (It's not the worst either) and even if you love how they implemlemented the story with regard to leveling a character, it doesn't actually DRIVE anything. IT's there as an option if you want to experience it.  And, persoanlly, I prefer this method and I rather liked how they incorporated the story into the game (not saying I liked the actual story though, just how they built it into the game) as optional as opposed to FFXIV where it became mandatory for leveling. But that doesn't make the game "Story Driven" It's not, the story is optional. You can play all other aspects of GW2 without the story. Again, that's my preference, but you still can't define GW2 as "Story Driven". That definition runs counter to GW2's design which was supposed to be "Play how you want".
    FFXIV is story driven. SWTOR is story driven. GW2 is not.
    pantaroPinoXAzaron_Nightblade