Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I for one truly believe they are working as slowly as possible in order to make tens of millions more in donations. They are under no legal obligation to finish this game. They have made 160 000 000 NOT finishing this game. I would love to see where all of the money actually went or is going because 160 million is ALOT of money. You can build massive buildings for that amount of money. My bet is they are not taking the bus or driving Ford's anymore and they are driving Mercedes and BMW etc. 
    Odeezee
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Wedlen said:
    I for one truly believe they are working as slowly as possible in order to make tens of millions more in donations. They are under no legal obligation to finish this game. They have made 160 000 000 NOT finishing this game. I would love to see where all of the money actually went or is going because 160 million is ALOT of money. You can build massive buildings for that amount of money. My bet is they are not taking the bus or driving Ford's anymore and they are driving Mercedes and BMW etc. 
    Every completed feature will destroy dreams and will lower hype, remember the golf swing mechanic ...

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    @TalulaRose You should inform yourself in getting the better knowledge of what term actually implies. Instead of just going in a sensationalist rant calling the fans of fanatics for what you seem to not understand, then you go on about the evil fans that call you of a hater... Go figure why...

@Wedlen it's just uninformed opinions when you get informed you know that this company costs tens of millions every year to maintain, last year the calculated costs are around 40-50 million in the year, they crowdfunded 36 million. Not hard to figure out where is the money going...

Between 40 and 50 million last year, this year we would be looking at the same values as the company scale has grown a bit but sustains, that makes only this 2 years more than HALF of the entire amount of crowdfunded money until now. Now that's 2 years out of 5 years of operations (at a smaller scale as the company grown over time). One without awareness of it would never imagine the cost of dev in this scale was that expensive. From the financial reports, maintaining +200 employees in the UK office alone cost them 25 million in a year, and they have 400 total.  
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    MaxBacon said:
    @tabularasa You should inform yourself in getting the better knowledge of what term actually implies. Instead of just going in a sensationalist rant calling the fans of fanatics for what you seem to not understand, then you go on about the evil fans that call you of a hater... Go figure why...

@Wedlen it's just uninformed opinions when you get informed you know that this company costs tens of millions every year to maintain, last year the calculated costs are around 40-50 million in the year, they crowdfunded 36 million. Not hard to figure out where is the money going...

Between 40 and 50 million last year, this year we would be looking at the same values as the company scale has grown a bit but sustains, that makes only this 2 years more than HALF of the entire amount of crowdfunded money until now. Now that's 2 years out of 5 years of operations (at a smaller scale as the company grown over time). One without awareness of it would never imagine the cost of dev in this scale was that expensive. From the financial reports, maintaining +200 employees in the UK office alone cost them 25 million in a year, and they have 400 total.  
    so just to be clear Chris Roberts who claimed all donated money to a NON AAA studio was worth more than it was in those other companies is actually now spending MORE than those companies did?

Sort of defeats the whole purpose doesnt it?
    ScotchUpKefoOdeezee
    edited October 2017
    rodarin said:
    so just to be clear Chris Roberts who claimed all donated money to a NON AAA studio was worth more than it was in those other companies is actually now spending MORE than those companies did?

Those numbers account for the costs of upkeep of those 4/5 studios and 400 employees. Crowdfunding or not is irrelevant to that cost.

That was related to publishers and things as marketing budgets.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:

Those numbers account for the costs of upkeep of those 4/5 studios and 400 employees. Crowdfunding or not is irrelevant to that cost.

That was related to publishers and things as marketing budgets.
    more spin. WHY were those other companies so expensive? Because they were bloated with too many people. Roberts bloat is even worse. You REALLY think they need that many people? I mean really? 

When he gave his first vision of this I imagine he thought by now the game would be out and people would be playing it. I am fairly certain of that. But something happened in the 5 years since then. And that is THE MONEY. 

Now had you told him 5 years ago 'heres 200 million go make me a game' what would his response have been? Probably "I dont need half that''. Because I am also pretty sure he said he could make it for 15 or 20 million. He is spending twice that (according to people who actually defend him) a YEAR  on UPKEEP. Seriously you cant make this stuff up.

Like I have said in the past you defenders would find an excuse for anything he does no matter what. Even when it defies logic and what the guy actually has said himself.

I have also said had he NOT gotten the money he has there might actually be something playable right now. Because he would have made something that WAS playable. But because he has gotten so much and apparently continues to get more he is still trying to make something he cant.

Thats the irony and one i have mentioned more than a few times. If the money dried up the project would finish. One way or another. Either they would release something or they wouldnt. But whatever they had could at least be taken over by someone halfway competent and scaled down to something that could be released. Because that is really what has happened with every project this guy has been involved in.
    MaxBacon
    edited October 2017
    rodarin said:
    Like I have said in the past you defenders would find an excuse for anything he does no matter what. Even when it defies logic and what the guy actually has said himself. 
    There you go with "you defenders this, you defenders that", lol

That context, wasn't about the upkeep of the company, was about how the pledged money is budgeted.

If you're talking about he stated, he stated the more money he gets, the more people that will be working in the game, and that's just what it happened as we can see, they scale to income.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:

That context, wasn't about the upkeep of the company, was about how the pledged money is budgeted.

If you're talking about he stated, he stated the more money he gets, the more people that will be working in the game, and that's just what it happened as we can see, they scale to income.
    When you throw more money and people at a project the expectation is less time to complete the project.

But of course there are always more goals, requiring more money, to hire more people, and yet the game seems to just take longer.

Defies any project model, seems to facilitate the taking in of money period. As you SC fans have said, there is no obligation for CR to produce anything.

And so far that is what we have.

I still find it funny the one thing they delivered was the cash shop module. The game as promised....not at all.

MaxBacon
    You cant budget pledged because you dont know how much theyre going to be. Except its way beyond the pledge phase now and its a business based on the  income generated from them pretending to develop a game.

I just wish someone would take this seriously enough to do an actual independent audit. And see exactly where all the money is going. And how much they really have taken in and how much they have spent.

But I have an idea since all the backlash of them wasting money they have cooked the books enough to appear semi legit and more than likely are spending money on an accountant or two that can make it look at least plausible.

End of the day they have taken way more time than they should have and spent way more money than they should have and they still havent gotten anything RELEASED AND PLAYABLE (not claimed to have ready to release) that resembles an MMO in any way shape or form.

At best they have a lobby (the hanger) and some single player online instances (dog fighting missions). They basically have a shell of what GW 1 was.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:

When you throw more money and people at a project the expectation is less time to complete the project.

There's actually a quote by Chris Roberts I think.. or was is their community manager?.. that said, that more money meant we'd get all the features sooner.

Just another lie to add to the pile of Star Citizen's legacy.
    KefoScotchUp

..Cake..

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:

There's actually a quote by Chris Roberts I think.. or was is their community manager?.. that said, that more money meant we'd get all the features sooner.

Just another lie to add to the pile of Star Citizen's legacy.

That would have been CR, he said that quite a few times.
    Also that "1 publisher dollar is 4 crowdfunded dollars" quote of his.

4 times the money!
    4 times the speed!
    8 weeks become 2 weeks right before your eyes (being open development and all).

Buy an Idris!

..Cake..

edited October 2017
    That'd be the case, if what was to be completed didn't increase in the number of features/scope, countering the effect it would have if you had a fixed scope given more resources.

It's not even much even in scope, they do a lot of R&D on everything, they are willing to redo, to refactor, prioritizing the design of how they want things to be over what their current engine and codebase can handle, hence the big push on engineering on the tech front.

That has a HUGE cost in time budget, but also what the backers support and allow them to do.
    MaxBacon said:
    That'd be the case, if what was to be completed didn't increase in the number of features/scope, countering the effect it would have if you had a fixed scope given more resources.

It's not even much even in scope, they do a lot of R&D on everything, they are willing to redo, to refactor, prioritizing the design of how they want things to be over what their current engine and codebase can handle, hence the big push on engineering on the tech front.

That has a HUGE cost in time budget, but also what the backers support and allow them to do.
    Problem is those were self created changes. Totally unnecessary. Because what he wants to do isnt possible. Yet he has tried and tried and tried to make it possible. They reinvented the whole engine (twice) that didnt work. SO then They partner with Amazon (almost 2 years ago now) and that was when the defenders all came out and said 'watch how fast things get done now'. Yet its been a year since they admitted they joined with Amazon (after claiming they had been working secretly with them for a year before the announcement) and if anything stuff has slowed down.

The CLAIMS have gotten bigger and the lists  have gotten longer but actual DELIVERED 'product' has all but stopped.

SO now that the huge costs have all been diminished because (according to them) they finally have the 'right' engine and delivery system why do they need more money? Why are they taking loans out against themselves? Why the constant push for more and more funding? Doesnt make logical sense to me.

if the biggest cost is the tech that has been 'fixed'. Or has it?

Like I always say I just take the claims the pro camp makes and uses them as examples of the failure to deliver, and thats even taking into account hype.

This is just rehashing the same nonsense over and over.

So its awaste of time. I am going to go back into hold mode for another few months and then come back (like I generally do) to comment on how despite all the talk nothing new has been DELIVERED from this project.

My suggestion to you and all the other drones here that cheer lead  Roberts and company is this. STOP talking about promises and videos like its actually available. It isnt. Until its on the PTU it doesnt exist. Despite all the claims and video. I mean the secret testers still dont have it so its still way way way out there. I guess if you wanted to play the semantics game (which is your favorite) then when the testers get it you could claim it exists. But right now they dont even have it.  So thats that.

But you wont because its not the agenda. But since I am not getting paid I am not going to be on these sites posting non stop until the project finishes. I have already posted too much on it now. 
    DarkpigeonGdemami
    rodarin said:
    But you wont because its not the agenda. But since I am not getting paid I am not going to be on these sites posting non stop until the project finishes. I have already posted too much on it now. 
    Contentless rant... 

Man CIG should be paying people like you, such obsessions with the game do actually keep this game in the frontpages in many places across the internet with such regurgiated drama-llama for ongoing for years. What a great strategy.
    ErillionGdemami
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:
    Contentless rant... 

Man CIG should be paying people like you, such obsessions with the game do actually keep this game in the frontpages in many places across the internet with such regurgiated drama-llama for ongoing for years. What a great strategy.
    lol it's not in the frontpages in many places... and when an article is posted, there's a myriad of negative comments underneath.
    If you enjoy that kind of publicity then good on you.
    MaxBaconOdeezee

..Cake..

edited October 2017
    sgel said:
    lol it's not in the frontpages in many places... and when an article is posted, there's a myriad of negative comments underneath.
    If you enjoy that kind of publicity then good on you.
    When a negative article is posted, the armies are ralied, you see sites that have little readers and little attention, but when a SC article is posted, oh boy it shall rain clicks and flame wars in the comments sections! It's thanks to the people who stalk every SC article to talk down the game and those who do so to counter those people, fueling the SC topic through the web.

It's one brilliant epic marketing campaign of SC Drama that certainly has made millions aware of Star Citizen without CIG literally having to spend a dime!

The more they talk SC down, the more they say how much it is a scam, a failure, how bad it is, the more will SC bounce back as the game develops and reaches delivery milestones that will speak by themselves (a recent example being NMS).
    Gdemami
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    How about you guys stop fighting and we speak of how amazing Squadron42 will be instead?
    ScotchUp
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:

He said this in the famous vote that was responsible for the scope change it was in line of "Do you want a better game without having to wait longer? Yes/No"

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Star Citizen/Squadron42 can't be good because it's not released/finished yet. But it can be bad because it's not released/finished yet.

Announced and Pitched since 2012 it amassed ton's of media exposure and backers money, yet there's still nothing in the gaming market that comes close to what's playable in it's Alpha version.

Not even talking about graphics but the way mechanics are integrated and seamless interconnected. I'd be happy to play a "Star Citizen" universe with all that entails even with minecraft graphics, unfortunately there's no such thing. That's why all the attentions keep focused on Star Citizen.

It's good in a way that Star Citizen is always on the top of discussion forum's instead of being forgotten like most other games.

Whille 3.0 is cooking things will just keep going round and round so might as well ignore the downers and focus on gaming.

https://gfycat.com/faroffcalmhoopoe

ZandogKefoGdemami
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    @MaxBacon don't bother bro. They have a bigger vested interest in seeing the game fail than you do convincing them otherwise. I just got back from a 3 week break from Star Citizen content. It was refreshing. I'll post again once 3.0 arrives. Regardless of what's said, no one will stop it.
    Gdemami
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited October 2017
    Just realized something.

SC is already an incredible success.

Probably one of the biggest MMO's out there and already released. (Fact!)

Half the players are P2W, or should I say paying to win.

Half the players are F2P, and as usual bitching while playing a free product.

Made me smile...

Enjoy you immersive RP PvP MMO gaming experience.

:p  B) >:)
    But Star Citizen is delivering features way ahead of other space games. It already has some of the most difficult stuff to pull in a space game like meaningful Space Legs, EVA, Multicrew all seamless integrated thanks to dozens of ship's already built inside and out with dynamic components, Highly detailed Space Stations you can walk on and mingle, planets coming next...

Plenty of games released years and years ago have tried and failed to pull that off while Star Citizen already has it while still in Alpha. 
    ErillionGdemamiFrodoFraginsOdeezee
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Babuinix said:
    But Star Citizen is delivering features way ahead of other space games. It already has some of the most difficult stuff to pull in a space game like meaningful Space Legs, EVA, Multicrew all seamless integrated thanks to dozens of ship's already built inside and out with dynamic components, Highly detailed Space Stations you can walk on and mingle, planets coming next...

Plenty of games released years and years ago have tried and failed to pull that off while Star Citizen already has it while still in Alpha. 
    Bleh. StarMade have them beat by years. Sure no shiny gfx, but the gameplay is there. Actually they have way more SC features up and running than SC have.

Just saying.
    ErillionOdeezee
    hfztt said:
    Babuinix said:

Bleh. StarMade have them beat by years. Sure no shiny gfx, but the gameplay is there. Actually they have way more SC features up and running than SC have.

Just saying.
    Not really a "simulation" or a "living breathing universe" makes it another Space themed Lego building game alike.
    Gdemami