Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help choosing video card

dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
My Radeon 7970 is finally starting to give me grief and I fear it may be on its way out. I want to get a new card ordered asap before I am without.
I am working with about a $200 budget and play a little world of warships and wow once in a great while.
What would be my best bet for that budget or very close to it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,367
    Here you go:

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263

    For several months, the cards you'd actually want on a $200 budget have generally been getting bought up by Ethereum miners if they show up anywhere near MSRP.  The data size necessary Ethereum hashing has grown enough for the miners to generally lose interest in the low memory cards, so that's pretty much what you're going to have to settle for, as it's all that you can get without paying hugely inflated prices.

    You should be warned, however, that it's not that much faster than your current 7970.  Faster, yes, but not a lot faster, and certainly not by a large enough margin to justify buying one as an upgrade.  Replacing a dying card is a different matter entirely, of course.
  • dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Thanks a lot Quizzical. As always you are prompt and very helpful. 

    I was aware that these newer cards are really not much or any boost compared to my 7970 but since I am not really much into gaming like I used to be I am pretty comfy with a fairly equal card in regards to performance since my card appears to be having issues and my budget is a little on the low side. 

    Again, thanks!!
  • ZebbakeiZebbakei Member UncommonPosts: 38
    There are brand new 970s on ebay for 200ish, which often perform on par with 1060 6gb.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,900
    edited November 2017
    Zebbakei said:
    There are brand new 970s on ebay for 200ish, which often perform on par with 1060 6gb.
    GTX 1060 is usually a bit faster than 970.

    Getting 970 for cheap is a good option if you can get it significantly cheaper, but only if there's significant price difference. If the prices are close together then GTX 1060 is a bit faster, newer technology, less power consumption, and at this point likely better warranty.
     
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Vrika said:
    Zebbakei said:
    There are brand new 970s on ebay for 200ish, which often perform on par with 1060 6gb.
    GTX 1060 is usually a bit faster than 970.

    Getting 970 for cheap is a good option if you can get it significantly cheaper, but only if there's significant price difference. If the prices are close together then GTX 1060 is a bit faster, newer technology, less power consumption, and at this point likely better warranty.
    Well 1060's at least the 6gb kind are minimum $290 and up so yes it is a good deal.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,900
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Zebbakei said:
    There are brand new 970s on ebay for 200ish, which often perform on par with 1060 6gb.
    GTX 1060 is usually a bit faster than 970.

    Getting 970 for cheap is a good option if you can get it significantly cheaper, but only if there's significant price difference. If the prices are close together then GTX 1060 is a bit faster, newer technology, less power consumption, and at this point likely better warranty.
    Well 1060's at least the 6gb kind are minimum $290 and up so yes it is a good deal.
    More like 1060's with 6gb of RAM are bad deal at the moment. You can get 1060 with 3gb at $200
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263


    Also both Newegg and Amazon have 6gb versions in stock at $260 so they're not really minimum of $290.
     
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Keep in mind, the 1060 3G and 1060 6G are not the same video card with different amounts of VRAM. They have different core counts.

    For whatever reason, nVidia called two different chips the same name... again.
    Quizzical
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Zebbakei said:
    There are brand new 970s on ebay for 200ish, which often perform on par with 1060 6gb.
    GTX 1060 is usually a bit faster than 970.

    Getting 970 for cheap is a good option if you can get it significantly cheaper, but only if there's significant price difference. If the prices are close together then GTX 1060 is a bit faster, newer technology, less power consumption, and at this point likely better warranty.
    Well 1060's at least the 6gb kind are minimum $290 and up so yes it is a good deal.
    More like 1060's with 6gb of RAM are bad deal at the moment. You can get 1060 with 3gb at $200
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263


    Also both Newegg and Amazon have 6gb versions in stock at $260 so they're not really minimum of $290.
    First off the 970 is faster than a 3gb 1060, there is a big processing difference between the 3gb and the 6gb 1060's.

    Secondly, good luck getting a 1060 6gb card shipped to you for 260.  Despite them showing them in stock, they are NOT.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 376
    edited November 2017
    Get an r9 3XX , should be more then ok for the games u are playing.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,900
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Zebbakei said:
    There are brand new 970s on ebay for 200ish, which often perform on par with 1060 6gb.
    GTX 1060 is usually a bit faster than 970.

    Getting 970 for cheap is a good option if you can get it significantly cheaper, but only if there's significant price difference. If the prices are close together then GTX 1060 is a bit faster, newer technology, less power consumption, and at this point likely better warranty.
    Well 1060's at least the 6gb kind are minimum $290 and up so yes it is a good deal.
    More like 1060's with 6gb of RAM are bad deal at the moment. You can get 1060 with 3gb at $200
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263


    Also both Newegg and Amazon have 6gb versions in stock at $260 so they're not really minimum of $290.
    First off the 970 is faster than a 3gb 1060, there is a big processing difference between the 3gb and the 6gb 1060's.

    Secondly, good luck getting a 1060 6gb card shipped to you for 260.  Despite them showing them in stock, they are NOT.
    Amazon reports that the cards are in stock and shipping is free to United States. 
      https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-06G-P4-6161-KR/dp/B01IPVSGEC?th=1

    NewEgg has at the moment sale where it's $250 after rebate, shipping to USA included:
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487280

    Whom should I trust about Amazon's and NewEgg's price and stock situation? The shop's official website or some anon on the net who says their info about their own stock situation is wrong?
     
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,367
    I would like to point out that this thread dates to October 3 and the original poster has probably long since bought a card and moved on.
    Ridelynn
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Quizzical said:
    I would like to point out that this thread dates to October 3 and the original poster has probably long since bought a card and moved on.
    Yeah but it’s been slow and we got nothing else to talk about.

    You would never imagine a whole new generation of Intel chips just shipped, except it’s the same thing as the last two generations and a paper launch at that....
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited November 2017
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Zebbakei said:
    There are brand new 970s on ebay for 200ish, which often perform on par with 1060 6gb.
    GTX 1060 is usually a bit faster than 970.

    Getting 970 for cheap is a good option if you can get it significantly cheaper, but only if there's significant price difference. If the prices are close together then GTX 1060 is a bit faster, newer technology, less power consumption, and at this point likely better warranty.
    Well 1060's at least the 6gb kind are minimum $290 and up so yes it is a good deal.
    More like 1060's with 6gb of RAM are bad deal at the moment. You can get 1060 with 3gb at $200
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263


    Also both Newegg and Amazon have 6gb versions in stock at $260 so they're not really minimum of $290.
    First off the 970 is faster than a 3gb 1060, there is a big processing difference between the 3gb and the 6gb 1060's.

    Secondly, good luck getting a 1060 6gb card shipped to you for 260.  Despite them showing them in stock, they are NOT.
    Amazon reports that the cards are in stock and shipping is free to United States. 
      https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-06G-P4-6161-KR/dp/B01IPVSGEC?th=1

    NewEgg has at the moment sale where it's $250 after rebate, shipping to USA included:
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487280

    Whom should I trust about Amazon's and NewEgg's price and stock situation? The shop's official website or some anon on the net who says their info about their own stock situation is wrong?
    Because I order from Amazon and guess what, I had a couple 1060's on order atm and I still have not received the cards after ordering in mid October.  I ended up buying them locally for $290 and canceled the order last week as it still had not shipped.   All these on line ordering outfits lie like champs when it comes to stock.  Newegg is no better.
Sign In or Register to comment.