Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best Story-Driven MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe 10 Best Story-Driven MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

This week we’re ranking the 10 best story-driven MMOs of all time. That means we’re going to try and put numbers on feelings we all have for the narratives we play through when we’re living in these virtual worlds. It’s a tall order, and one we’re sure you’ll have some mixed emotions over. Without further ado, here are our 10 Best Story Driven MMOs of All Time.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited October 2017
    ... GW2 as number 1? really? ... i mean i remember some questing, mostly the GvG ( or WvW or whatever) map.... really? there was a story?!
    Tykam123XarkoXophNyghthowlerLionShardSasori_japScorchienAlomaralivenZoeMcCloskeyand 15 others.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

... GW2 as number 1? really? ... i mean i remember some questing, mostly the GvG map.... really? there was a story?!

Have you missed the gazillion banners currently pushing GW2 on the site? :P
    Po_ggXarkoKyleran[Deleted User]Agent_JosephLionShardgunklackerwingoodOzmodanBreadbackand 9 others.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @BillMurphy is wrong. :P SWTOR is the #1 story-driven game on MY list followed by LOTRO, ESO, GW2.
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusXarkosumdumguy1Elvocitchmonasamuel36Avarix[Deleted User]and 20 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    SBFord said:
    @BillMurphy is wrong. :P SWTOR is the #1 story-driven game on MY list followed by LOTRO, ESO, GW2.
    Yeah SWTOR would be top on my list too.
    Azaron_NightbladeXarkosumdumguy1rodingoasamuel36MrMelGibsonAlomarThornrageGorwedaltanious

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    In my eyes GW2 earns the place because of how it's driven the entire game since launch with story, world changing events, and more. It hasn't always been the BEST story, but how it's done in the game is nothing short of phenomenal.
    kalcasumdumguy1rodingoXophSpellshaperasamuel36marganculosShaighLeiloniSasori_japand 20 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

edited October 2017

kitarad said:

SBFord said:

Yeah SWTOR would be top on my list too.

Same here. Most of the games on that list beat GW2 when it comes to story content imo. The watered down approach where you are forced to go do random shit for 10 levels before unlocking the next part destroys the story flow for me.
    Breadbackwandericalecram64Gorwedaltanioustayman55

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    GW2 as story is a joke. When you're in the world you wouldn't even know there is a story unless you've done the personal story or living story on the side. Couldn't disagree more.
    Aeandersumdumguy1OzmodanBreadbacklecram64OyjordTehhistarroskallensdaltaniousand 2 others.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    In my eyes GW2 earns the place because of how it's driven the entire game since launch with story, world changing events, and more. It hasn't always been the BEST story, but how it's done in the game is nothing short of phenomenal.
    You are wrong. Accept it gracefully or face the consequences. 
    KyleranAvarixLackingMMOAlomarBreadback[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    A joke list.

Never played FF but I have played GW2 and it isn't remotely close to ESO or SWToR. GW2 isn't even top 5.

Got paid? Kickbacks? Doesn't smell good whatever it is.
    sumdumguy1SpellshaperNephethMrMelGibsonwingoodgoemoejosko9melyne28OyjordFusionand 2 others.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Nein!
    sumdumguy1MrMelGibsonSirLornPurplePoloPlayer

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

edited October 2017
    Torval said:
    My undisputable top story driven games list is:
    tied-
    1. ESO
    1. SWTOR
    1. SWL
    2. LotRO
    3. Guild Wars - Rurik NOoooooo!!1!1!!11!!
    4. GW2

I didn't realize the other games had a story. :innocent: 

Find a place for TSW in there and I'll support your rise to conquest. No worries, I will kill Bill prompto without any need for a sequel. 

Edit: My bad, you had it as SWL :|
    [Deleted User]BillMurphyAzaron_NightbladeBreadback

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Nein!

"Die Konsequenzen"

Disclaimer! No dictionaries were harmed in this violent post.
    [Deleted User]lahnmirPhloom

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Guild Wars 2's story is kind of a mixed bag. Pre Path of Fire, I would put it in the top 5, but barely. Currently, it easily deserves top 3. Path of Fire is just that good. 

Not that there is much competition. 
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusNephethkallens
    I feel like you are equating immersion = story. GW2 did a great job at world building. They also invested heavily in quality VA's, but it beating games that offer continuous, quality story content from level 1 to cap, in terms of story? Nope. Couldn't disagree more with you there. SWTOR, ESO and SWL all make for a better story experience. Especially since they all streamlined their games over time to put the focus on what they do best.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonAlomarBreadbackwandericaPinoXFusionMirandel

• kalcakalca Member UncommonPosts: 47

Great list and i agree with your number one choice :D
    Phloomlecram64
    Torval said:
    Yeah, because differing opinions == bought off. That was insightful and original.
    Well Bill the ESO fan didn't put that on the top of the list so I'm guessing ArenaNet has somehow achieved the means to immortality and Bill will remain forever young now. 
    [Deleted User]BillMurphyKyleranMrMelGibsonBreadbackPhloom

• Rogal_UrsonRogal_Urson Member UncommonPosts: 26

... GW2 as number 1? really? ... i mean i remember some questing, mostly the GvG ( or WvW or whatever) map.... really? there was a story?!

"The Living Story" basically an entire fully formed chapter into your character's life and his or her interactions with those around them. In addition to telling a lot of the lore of Tyria. At this point with PoF, there's about 5-6 "Chapters" to go through. Still a HUGE amount of content. Plus Areananet is always adding new content to the game. That's why GW2 is #1.
    [Deleted User]BillMurphyNephethPhloomlecram64Thuplimelyne28Fyendiar
  • MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131
    I know there is some crap thing about GW2 running, but never really got it. I cant remember any story of GW2 but alot on SWTOR and I only played that the first 2-3 week after release until content was over.

Imho GW2 is should be placed on 5-6...

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Sure, different strokes to each... still, it's a very odd list, Bill :wink:
    GW2's living story is meh at most, ESO is just a watered down Skyrim (and mind you, Skyrim was the shittiest ES...), FF is nice but not as good as it was before (I'd put it somewhere in the middle, definitely not onto the 2nd place).

Can only repeat what I said in the countless story-themed threads over the years, for me the first place is LotRO and TSW shared (LotRO for lore and writing, TSW for narrative and building).
    The rest without any particular order:
    some classes of the original SW:TOR (KotFE can go and jump into a sarlacc's pit),
    STO's main storyline episodes,
    AoC (a bit of a guilty pleasure, but the world building and NPC conversations are great, just as the ties to the lore),
    DCUO's main storyline, backed up with the one season of DCUO Legends comics,
    AO (what can I say, I'm a sucker for Ragnar's writing... :wink: )

Edit: My bad, you had it as SWL :|
    Yeah... except they've wrecked it so much in Legends, that it's now filled with loopholes and stupidity. Sure, the source was so amazing that even with their fuck-up Legends could be on a list like this, somewhere at the back. Still better than GW2 for example :smiley:
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Phloomlecram64IRandom
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited October 2017
    First of all this is why we all have our own opinions and rationale.  I have no problem with people disagreeing and voicing their own opinion as long as its done respectfully.  My own opinion is different from everyone else's but I completely understand the rationale of why people chose GW2 or SWTOR.  Both are great stories in their own way and both have kept me playing the games.  To me story is essential in games, I may be the minority who forgive shortcomings if the story is engrossing to me.  Of all the games I play regularly, the worst story wise is Diablo 3 which I still like, just not as much as the other games I play.  I need story for me to play a game.  A good example is Blade and Soul, a game that I liked in pretty much every way except story and grind.  I could have done the grind without any issue if the story was good to me but after a few weeks, the lack of a good story for me made me look for another game to play.  

As for the list, some I agree with and some I don't but I do think one thing.  Almost all of the games mentioned thus far deserve to be in the conversation.  Most importantly to me is with so many games to discuss with good stories, I have plenty of games to play and even some to try.  As for my number one, almost all will disagree, but I loved TSW and its story/lore combination.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • RadamentX0XRadamentX0X Member CommonPosts: 2
    1. ESO
    2. SWTOR
    3. The Secret World/Secret World Legends
    4. GW2
    5. All Others...
    [Deleted User]PhloomThornrage
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    SWTOR used to have a great story, but they really took a dump on non-force user classes.
    PhloomGorwe
  • exzi2014exzi2014 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    GW2 no.1 Story no way. GW2 main story ending is just blash, Season 1 is missing completly and recap video is maybe 1/3 of story summary for S1. Season 2 the only compact story in GW2. HoT Act III+IV is cut in half (missing at last one map zone that Anet just scraped, there is even evidence in game) , Season 3 total mix, ending oh my god just FANSERVICE. Path of Fire solid but placing at no.4 best. 13k hours total in game there you go, reality. No.1 ? Star Wars Old Republic no question.
    Azaron_Nightbladethighhighs
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Everytime I see COH I just wanna cry, I so miss that game..Definitely a diamond in the rough that should have got more attention...
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonwingoodDavodtheTuttMoxom914waynejr2thighhighs
    Elvoc said:
    Everytime I see COH I just wanna cry, I so miss that game..Definitely a diamond in the rough that should have got more attention...
    For an MMO of that period, it did story very well. The "Story Arcs" that you could play through were fun, and so were the Task/Strike Forces.

If only the old Paragon Studios could be put back together, and given the chance to make a modern day version of it with a decent budget. It'll never happen of course, since they're all scattered to the four winds, but still...
    [Deleted User]gervaise1MrMelGibsonwingoodPhloom